Err but still no percentage key in Scientific mode
    EsJayDee likes this.
    02-23-13 11:42 AM
    G10? you mean Q10? non-the-less, even on keyboard BB10 phones, it would still have to take 3 steps to get to the dial pad because it lost the dedicated call buttons from BB7s and below
    Yes sorry, Q10.
    02-23-13 11:43 AM
    Or multiply by your desired percentage expressed as a decimal. Example 20% = .20

Posted via CB10
    Yes of course but when writing invoices you cant beat finding out the vat separately and adding together in one calculation.... Perhaps I just expect too much. Never mind, at least I can find out the tangent eh....
    EsJayDee likes this.
    02-23-13 11:46 AM
    You have to turn your phone and view the calculator in landscape mode...turns the calculator into a scientific one then and all your symbols are there.

Posted via CB10
    Err but still no percentage key. Now I know the Sine, Cosine Tangent but still no VAT. An unbelievable gaff if you ask me.... Still it takes me back a few years :-)
    02-23-13 11:48 AM
    For the text app shortcut, my solution was to create a folder of apps I have no use for but don't want to delete and in it I added things like BBM, Text, Camera, Settings and a few others. I don't need BBM and text because they are in the hub. I don't need camera because it is nailed to the start screen, same with settings. This gets all those icons out of sight gets rid of clutter and reduces confusion.

Now my habit is to leave the hub in a state where I can see everything and text is much easier to access from the hub anyhow.

Posted via CB10
    02-23-13 11:53 AM
    Nice constructive post and getting some good feedback.

The lack of percentage threw me too. Can't imagine why it's missing but it's not on the pb calculator either. Unless blackberry expects people to use the tip calculator to do percentage?

For the text messaging - am i missing something? When I hit my text message app icon it takes me to text messaging portion of the hub I hit compose and there you go. Not that I ever do it that way - i just hit compose in the hub and select text message. Same number of steps either way and the same as it was on my Curve.
    02-23-13 12:18 PM
    As a result of this thread I tried the voice control on my Z10 for the first time. Wow! It really works. I phoned myself at home and sent a text message to a friend. What a great timesaver.

The lack of a % button on the calculator is a bit annoying but on calculators they never work the way you expect anyway. Typing in 100 + 20% gives you 117 or some such unexpected result. The only one I ever found that works in a logical way is the Sharp Elsimate EL-330 from the 1980s. It's basic, but perfect for business accounting. The sequence above gives you 120, as you would expect. It also gives 120 if you enter 100 x 120%. So I've used this one for 30 years now, partly because of the % logic and also because the keys are perfect; I hardly ever make an input mistake because the keys are too big, too small, too rubbery or bounce. I love it so much I found a brand new one on eBay some while ago, which is in reserve as a spare. As for my Z10 calculator, it's not exactly difficult to put in 100 x 1.2, or divide by 6 and x 5 to get the net amount. One assumes that TAT who I believe designed the Z10 calculator decided that other keys were more important.
    02-23-13 12:24 PM
    Thanks for the tip about turning the phone into landscape while in calculator app. Can't believe I didn't try this before?

Posted via CB10
    02-23-13 12:41 PM
    I agree with your points absolutely but on balance, it is an amazing device. Nobody is perfect.

Posted via CB10
    02-23-13 12:46 PM
    I just checked the playbook calculator and there is no percent botton on playbook either

Posted via CB10
    02-23-13 12:48 PM
    I just checked the playbook calculator and there is no percent botton on playbook either

Posted via CB10
    It is funny because I used the calculator on the playbook a lot and never noticed the percent button lacking, I always added the necessary decimal point when doing percent. It had been so long since using one that I forgot they ever existed.

Posted via CB10
    leehardballer12 likes this.
    02-23-13 12:54 PM
    I find it strange that the "Remeber" app ironically does not have an alarm or a time to set for reminding you. Just a date.
    Last edited by Takmelius; 02-23-13 at 01:05 PM.
    EsJayDee likes this.
    02-23-13 12:54 PM
    Now you ruined my night lol I never noticed the lack of percent on calculator

This and the little data arrows are on my list of complaints now lol

Nice post OP this is how constructive criticism should be done

Posted via CB10
    EsJayDee likes this.
    02-23-13 01:08 PM
    Cant remember the phone number, tap voice command and just speak the number to call. no copy, paste, remember, writing anything down. One button push.
    ...and it's off to bed with you!! :P
    02-23-13 01:10 PM
    I like the phone, but it seems a bit late considering whats already on the market
    02-23-13 01:11 PM
    Good constructive thread. The missing percent sign is certainly an inexcusable nuisance. As for cursor control... Well I don't have a Z10 yet so I can't say how hard it is, but I will say that BlackBerry should consider some options. I'm currently using SwiftKey with flow on my Blaze. It has a "theme" lotion to show arrow keys under the keyboard. Very handy. Regular Swype has the ability to pull up a directional pad from the keyboard. Blackberry should consider such things, in addition to what's already there.
    02-23-13 01:17 PM
    To answer the title of this thread, i feel i should have waited. I love the new os and BlackBerry altogether, i just feel that there are way too many "Back steps" in the os. I believe that all previous options, from legacy os's will appear with updates. Unfortunately there are more negative things to point out than positives. Fingers crossed that at least most of them are back before the us release

Posted via CB10
    02-23-13 01:50 PM
    If an email fails to send go back to the Hub and refresh(3 dots, select refresh)

Posted via CB10
    sk8er_tor likes this.
    02-23-13 01:57 PM
    Err but still no percentage key. Now I know the Sine, Cosine Tangent but still no VAT. An unbelievable gaff if you ask me.... Still it takes me back a few years :-)
    I never noticed, and I've used the scientific for work as well when doing invoices. Duh!!

Posted via CB10
    02-23-13 01:59 PM
    If an email fails to send go back to the Hub and refresh(3 dots, select refresh)

Posted via CB10
    Thanks for this. Well found. Haven't tried it yet but a big thanks.
    belfastdispatcher likes this.
    02-23-13 03:18 PM
    Good constructive thread. The missing percent sign is certainly an inexcusable nuisance. As for cursor control... Well I don't have a Z10 yet so I can't say how hard it is, but I will say that BlackBerry should consider some options. I'm currently using SwiftKey with flow on my Blaze. It has a "theme" lotion to show arrow keys under the keyboard. Very handy. Regular Swype has the ability to pull up a directional pad from the keyboard. Blackberry should consider such things, in addition to what's already there.
    Dont let my post put you off getting one (or anyone for that matter). As I said it is a brilliant machine. I have just used the sideload development mode to load Android Apps including Sky remote, Easy Money Manager and Ebay app. All superb apps on Android.
    02-23-13 03:24 PM
    cost * 1.VAT% expressed in decimal should give you a similar answer. (i.e. cost 100*1.20 1.vat% in decimal form= 120). Or does the % allow for a different type of calculation all in one? I am not in favor of the lack of the % key. But, there are a few work arounds
    02-23-13 03:45 PM
    I'm happy but this needs to be fixed

Can't respond to Facebook messages via hub, it simply doesn't work
    Direct Message in Twitter app not working. If message is finally sent it shows as empty
    Twitter and Facebook launch web browser instead of within the application
    Z10 hub. Sometimes when tapping an item the screen bogs down in brightness and either opens an item and returns to the correct brightness or the screen brightness bogs down and the item is just marked as read

This is what really upsets me. But this isn't a reason for me to return the phone. I sincerely hope for an update that fixes all the minor stuff and am willing to help BlackBerry to make it a better product.

Edit The reason why the screen was bogging down in brightness and sometimes not opening items is because I selected one of the pre-installed wallpapers that showed 2MB in size. Switched back to the blue one with 365kb and all is working again. Comes as a bit of a shock!
    Last edited by Crisdean; 02-23-13 at 04:50 PM.
    02-23-13 03:47 PM
    I can totally understand being frustrated about not having a percentage key, but feel this is far from being a deal breaker? I personally never used one. I just use the decimal point system. Takes the same amount of time. You could also try and pull down the top of the screen and call up tip calculator. Just change the percentage in tip line. There are more options when you flip calculator into landscape mode. We all have to remember that improvements are coming soon. I really believe we were pawns to iron out the kinks before the U.S. Launch. Things like notification settings, ring tones, correction to little bugs etc with all be addressed shortly.

Posted via CB10
    02-23-13 04:47 PM
    Nice constructive post and getting some good feedback.

For the text messaging - am i missing something? When I hit my text message app icon it takes me to text messaging portion of the hub......
    Are you sure. Perhaps you have left the hub in the text messaging part. Try leaving the hub with an email active.
    02-23-13 05:19 PM
104 1234 ...