I am still wondering when the issue will be fixed with my laptop crashing when I dock my Z10 using the USB cable that came with the phone when I connect it to the BB Link software on my laptop?

I open Link first and cannot figure out how to get the Link software to search or get updates? Links is version 1.1.0.37.

Windows updates are checked/performed daily.

Phone OS is 10.0.9.422

Can anyone help me out? I want to switch to phones to an android platform, but cannot afford the cost to do that. Therefore, I must figure out how to dock my phone to transfer files/charge battery when using my laptop.
    08-14-13 07:47 AM
    I would start by updating the software on your phone,
    settings -> check for update.

The latest carrier updates are 10.1.0.4181 but should that not be available try this leak
    http://forums.crackberry.com/bb10-le...evices-838900/

also try deleting the drivers, (windows sign + x) and then device manager, remove anything to do with RIM or Z10 for the phone and uninstall link.

then restart your PC and try it all again. I am running Windows 8 with no problems
    08-14-13 08:09 AM
    I don't quite understand the instructions....

Are you telling me to uninstall the Link software from the laptop or just certain things from the laptop?

I've updated the phone OS to 10.1.0.2039....which it says is the latest OS (VzW). Connected the phone to the laptop and so far I've been connected 15 minutes w/out crashing. Which is longer than it has ever been connected without causing a crash in the past...My laptop crashed after being connected for 45 minutes. I also wrote down the error violation....DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION. what is this and how do I fix it?

But how do I get the Link software to update?
    Last edited by davematz; 08-14-13 at 09:54 AM.
    08-14-13 08:33 AM
    Why not connect to your phone over wifi? You won't need link and can transfer all the files you want.

Posted via CB10
    08-14-13 09:54 AM
    not worried about the transfer as much as I am with the phone charging capabilities and backing up of contacts/etc.
    08-14-13 10:03 AM
    unplug the phone
    press windows sign (between Ctrl and Alt on the left side of your keyboard) + x
    click device manager, click network Adapters, uninstall everything to do with BlackBerry.
    Check the other items in the entire tree and delete anything to do with BlackBerry or Z10.

restart.

plug the phone in once you've logged in and it should install drivers again, if it doesn't open device manager and right click on the top item, select scan for hardware changes.

it that works then install latest link which is version 1.1, if you want It but it is not necessary if you only wish to charge.
    08-15-13 05:42 AM
    Sadly Window dont seem to love Blackberry 10, for me i get Bluescreen(watchdog) when my Z10 is plug and in Dev Mod. After looking online it's say it's can be cause by hardware in computer not compatible with Windows 8 or a device. And once i stop plugging my Z10 i stop gettting those error. So now i go with my Mac, just hope will be fix trough a Window 8 update.
    08-15-13 06:57 AM
    I've tried running LINK in compatibility mode with no luck, but at least I was able to do a backup yesterday although I may never be able to restore from it on this machine.

I should have stuck with my head telling me to go the Android route and now I feel that I've committed to far along with BB to make the switch until my 2-yrs is up and I can get some credit to switch to the Android platform. My tour worked fine other than it wasn't WiFi, but I really don't want to switch back to it if I don't have to.

Also, has anyone had any issues with the Z10 battery overheating? On separate occasions my battery has gotten really, really hot so I've pulled it from the phone and left it out for a couple of hours. After putting it back in and turning the phone back on it worked fine. Any suggestions?
    08-15-13 07:30 AM
    Nothing was listed for Blackberry or Z10...I opened all branches to look for this, but found nothing.
    08-15-13 07:31 AM
    One problem is that you Android is perfect and its definitely not.

Secondly I would try a different usb cable as windows 8 should not blue screen. It may we a port problem.

Third uninstall link, double check device manager and remove blackberry items. Also remove any items that say unknown.
    Restart and try again.

Windows should see your phone when it's plugged and and install software. Check device manager and remove any items there. If you don't come right pvt message me and I can help via TeamViewer

Posted via CB10
    08-15-13 10:25 AM
    The only item in my device manager is Network Adapters > BlackBerry Virtual Private Network.

I take it you want me to uninstall that (?along with the drivers)?

Also, all of my USB ports work fine. Move my printer around to all of the USB ports and it works at each of them. One last thing...I am new to this site/forum and it is not intuitive on how to private message...a little help here please.

Thank you.
    08-15-13 02:32 PM
    Yes delete that one, plus in "other devices" delete any that are unknown. We want windows to reinstall the drivers after you restart and plug the phone in again. Also uninstall link.

Also run windows update and make sure everything is up to date.

Some suggested turning mass storage on in your phone's settings -> storage at the bottom. Also try different usb ports. Preferably usb 2. Not the blue ones.

Posted via CB10
    08-15-13 03:14 PM
    Research the error message on Google. Apparently it has more to do with Windows 8 than BlackBerry. Seems a lot of people have experienced the same problem with usb devices and Windows 8

Posted via CB10
    08-15-13 03:20 PM
    Check the actions center, bottom right (flag icon) in windows to see it it is reporting anything.

Windows sign + f, search for action center and click settings

Posted via CB10
    08-15-13 03:22 PM
    I have no issues, with my Z10 , in fact it's plugged into the laptop as I am typing this, look at the event monitor, check the crash logs,
    08-16-13 01:38 AM
    no reports in action center

don't know how to find event monitor or crash logs....don't know much about operating systems and don't like Win8....was very happy with XP Pro, but knew I had to upgrade and wanted Win7 b/c I thought it might be a little more stable than Win8. Was forced into Win8.
    08-16-13 02:13 PM