- CrackBerry Newbie
02-20-13, 03:30 PM #53
- 2 Posts
Here is my two cents worth. If you cannot backup try the following...
Make sure your Wi-Fi is turned off. Plugin the USB and make sure your temp drives show up in explorer or double click on the device manager and make sure your drives are there. Try backing up your data.
If your drives drives show up and the backup still don't work, this maybe an indication that a application may be running causing read problems and therefore causing backup issues. Turn the applications off.
If this fails you most likely have an application running in the background that is again causing causing read problems. Some applications can also cause conductivity issues with your USB connection. For example, one application I have had problems with is President's Choice Recipe app.
Blackberry is a little different is that it is creating network drives when a USB is plugged-in. One solution I am going to try is to is to see if I can preeminently map these drives.
Hope this helps.
- CrackBerry User
03-02-13, 10:07 PM #56
- 27 Posts
BB LINK BACKUP FIX!!!!!
Ok, guys i've been at this for a week none stop.
I got it to work - but I used my Mac to do so.
Here's what you do:
1) plug your phone into your mac with all networks on... Start BB Link.
2) Go to settings and in storage toggle the USB Mass Drive option to 'on'.
3) Go to Settings and Blackberry Protect and turn that off.
4) Now turn off all of your networks. Cell, wireless and bluetooth
5) Turn off the internet to your computer. Yup, this is the problem... your computer is patching into your BB ID but your phone is not so they're not communicating - once both are 'mute' they communicate just fine to get a backup!
6) Turn your phone off. NOT restart - OFF. Wait 3 minutes.
7) Turn phone back on.
8) BB Link will connect to phone. Try to backup. It may fail once or twice - but by the third time it should work!
9) Once you get the backup done - security wipe and start over!
10) Restore from backup on your Mac!
- CrackBerry Genius
03-03-13, 03:59 PM #57
- 1,623 Posts
If i werent a diehard bb fan Id admit this ''bb link'' software is a huge joke. I just want to backup before trying to install the new OS update.. Perhaps I will have to wait until tmobile releases it.. grrr..
- CrackBerry Newbie
03-04-13, 11:48 PM #58
- 2 Posts
I am having the same problem i am getting communication failure when i connect Z10 to my Mac and when i tried to back up also same backup failure message. I am using MAC and i have deleted the DM and only using LINK. Pls can someone help. I cant do the software update without doing the backup.
- 03-06-13, 10:56 PM #59
Okay, being totally dumb here. How can I find out what apps are running in the background? I'm having the same "backup did not complete" issue, and I'm willing to try the app thing, but I don't know where to look. :S
- CrackBerry User
03-07-13, 02:59 AM #60
- 23 Posts
Hi Everyone, I have had an issue issue with my Z10 since the first day of its launch in the UK. Namely being unable to back up the device. But yesterday I managed to back my Z10 up and update to 10.0.10.90. I am on Orange UK. The method of updating via blackberry.com did not work. I do not know if this was inhibited by any restriction by Orange UK so they can control update releases by OTA.
I do not know if this will help anyone else but this is how I did it.
1.I removed Blackberry Link and Blackberry Desktop Software (used for my sons Bold 9900, reinstalled along with backup files on a laptop to manage the Bold 9900) from my computer.
2.Purchased a 99 pence Vodafone Sim card form Tesco.
3.Charged up my old Bold 9900 (I never do a security swipe on my old phone until at least 6 months after I get a new phone)
4.I removed the Orange Sim card and did a security wipe of the Z10
5.Inserted cut done Vodafone Sim card into Z10 and switched on the Z10. I ignored the Text messages from Vodafone except where is asks you if you are on contract of pay as you go. Click pay as you go. When home screen comes up plug into power supply swipe down for settings - software update - click check for updates and the latest update was available.
6. While down loading update on Z10. I downloaded Blackberry Link onto main computer.
7.I backed up my old Bold 9900 on the laptop using Blackberry Desktop Software and updated my calender to the Bold 9900
8. When Z10 updated, I switched off the Z10 remove the Vodafone Sim card and inserted my Orange Sin Card and fired it up.
9. I then paired the Bold and the Z10 by Bluetooth and transferred my contacts to the Z10.
10.I then used Blackberry Link to transfer data from my Bold to the Z10
There was some doubling up of Calender occurrences but that was easily resolved.
11. I then followed the usual setup procedure.
From reading about the backup issues it seems to me that there were numerous small conflicts that caused the failure to to complete the backup. All I did was the try and mitigate as many conflicts as possible at one time. It worked for me. The only thing to resolve know for me is the ability to sync my Outlook calender and contacts on my computer by USB or WiFi as i used to with the Bold 9900. That requires an update to Blackberry Link and a new update for the Z10. I wait in anticipation!!!
- CrackBerry User
03-07-13, 03:19 AM #62
- 34 Posts
- 03-07-13, 12:46 PM #63
I had the same backup issue ...where I could backup with no problem the Media and/or the Setting ...But fail to backup the Application data.
I use to be able to backup my device the first days I got It ...but it stop working at one point.
BUT NOW I FIX IT ...May be that could also apply to some of you
What I did:
- Try backup only the Application Data many times, ...with communication ON anf or OFF ...but never worked Always get message "Backup Not completed"
- Then I deleted any Android Apps I side loaded. Shut down my devices and restart . -> Backup still not working
- Then I deleted The "Recipe Box for Blackberry 10" [123.4MB] ...did not reboot the devices and try to backup ...AND IT WORKED (I run it 3 time with no issue)
- Then I try to reinstalled the Recipe Box again ...but it automatically conduct to a non working backup.
- So I removed the Recipe Box, retry the backup (yes it was working) then side load my Android Apps ...and Backup is still working
Hope this could help some one.
- CrackBerry Addict
03-17-13, 05:58 PM #67
- 503 Posts
Picked up my new Z10 on Friday and spent weekend sorting out data transfers. The least said about BlackBerry link the better, software is useless for contact and calendar transfer.
In the end I used bluetooth to move my 978 contacts and my 9900 to send my calendar appointments to the Z10, even then I had to go edit each one to add a reminder and reoccurring appointments.
Coming from a BlackBerry 9900 I expected a smoother transition and experience, if I wanted all this grief I would have got a Iphone5.
BlackBerry you need to sort this out quick, if you can't trade up existing users without giving them hassle, then you won't win over non BlackBerry users.
- CrackBerry Abuser
04-06-13, 05:55 PM #73
- 360 Posts
- 04-06-13, 06:26 PM #74
After having the Z10 for just over a week and running a few backups with no problems, this morning I got the dreaded message that the backup could not be completed. Failed at 21% and 77%. No side-loaded apps installed. Desktop Manager still installed on the PC from my Torch 9850. I got the backup to finally complete by closing all open programs on my PC (Windows XP) and rebooted the Z10. Re-connected it via USB and waited for the messages to pop up that it was fully connected and assigned the drives. Started Blackberry Link and ran the backup - didn't open any programs, no mail or texts were received, etc. Ran fine. Over 300 meg backed up. Hope this helps someone.
- By BuddyC in forum Mac UsersReplies: 9Last Post: 03-11-12, 07:28 AM
- By angelthi in forum Storm OS DiscussionReplies: 17Last Post: 06-09-09, 09:04 PM
- By angelthi in forum BlackBerry StormReplies: 8Last Post: 06-09-09, 04:35 AM
- By wehttam in forum BlackBerry Bold 9000Replies: 6Last Post: 02-23-09, 11:08 AM
- By Casper101011 in forum BlackBerry 87xx SeriesReplies: 2Last Post: 05-19-08, 03:43 PM