Hi

I've tried to back up my new Z10 via the Link software loads of times but I keep getting the 'Backup did not complete' message. (I use a PC).

I would be very grateful if anyone could help please.

Thanks
    melbadri and BlackBerry_Pwner like this.
    02-03-13 05:25 AM
    Same here...I'm not sure what to do!! Anyone else have this problem?
    02-06-13 12:58 AM
    me too and the stupid part is that it doesn't give you any more info on the error
    02-06-13 08:00 PM
    Shakes head. Was always a problem with the pb too. Seems they will never learn.
    02-06-13 08:35 PM
    It's hard being a BB fan as nothing ever seems to work when I need it but is always fine when I don't
    I have a z10 and it's going back tomorrow as the headphone socket is wonky and keeps switching the music off as it thinks the headphones have been pulled out. ANYWAY this means I need to back it up so I can then restore all my data on the replacement. Guess what tho. Yep same problem as you guys. It will not backup and there is no option on the phone to backup to sdcard just restore from the card I will be moaning my head off if new OS releases dont come quick as there is a lot of quirks in this phone but not being able to backup is MAJOR!!!!
    [/rant] so anyone found a fix?
    I have win7 64bit on an asus p8z68-v pro. I know I have asus' usb "things" installed so i dont know if that is a problem or not. Is this a 64-32bit problem you think?
    Thanks for any input

Class--
    02-07-13 09:46 AM
    I had the same problem and this is what I did.

I had both DTM and BlackBerry Link and after switching to Z10, I removed DTM and all the previous versions of builds for my old blackberry using Add/remove programs. Once I did that Link no longer saw the Z10, so I uninstalled Link and reinstalled.

Then following the advice of some playbook users I set the Z10 to aircraft mode and it successfully backed up.

While backup is in progress you can see approximately how far it has got by hovering over the tab for your Z10 at the bottom of the Link window. Its a slow process due to USB transfer.

Edit: 24th Feb This technique is no longer working for me, but it does still work on my wife's phone which has much less activity and hardly any apps installed.
    Last edited by djenkins6; 02-24-13 at 02:05 AM.
    Class--, Eric7 and sheeraz_aa like this.
    02-07-13 09:49 AM
    I had the same problem and this is what I did.

I had both DTM and BlackBerry Link and after switching to Z10, I removed DTM and all the previous versions of builds for my old blackberry using Add/remove programs. Once I did that Link no longer saw the Z10, so I uninstalled Link and reinstalled.

Then following the advice of some playbook users I set the Z10 to aircraft mode and it successfully backed up.

While backup is in progress you can see approximately how far it has got by hovering over the tab for your Z10 at the bottom of the Link window. Its a slow process due to USB transfer.
    It is interesting that you deleted DS from your windows computer. Yesterday I was trying to do a backup and a device switch between a Torch and a Z10. Everytime I plugged in one of the phone's via usb, both Link & DS would open, one on top of the other. Link just got stuck on "connecting"...

So I determined that the 2 programs were conflicting with each other. Once I uninstalled DS, Link recognized the old phone and provided the "data transfer" option. Go figure.

Why couldn't the software geniuses have anticipated this so that when Link starts, it checks to see if DS is installed/running and if so, it could resolve the issue by giving the user a choice to kill DS, or pause Link until DS is done, or allow both programs to access the device at the same time, especially if all you are doing is copying get data off the old phone (whether backing up in DS or transferring data in Link).

And in the course of backing up the old Torch, it got stuck on "smart card" with no user option to "skip, ignore, or continue", just sat there as if the process was progressing normally, but it was stuck like that for over an hour.

I researched it here on CB and found a link to a BB KB article which identified this backup failure as an unresolved issue. It provided a workaround which involved using the DS custom backup settings to "uncheck" the backing up of "Social Feeds". After I did that, the old Torch backed up fine.

BUT, when I tried to use the Link "transfer" process from the same Torch, it got stuck at the same point "smart card". FYI: I never used the smart card feature, so there really was nothing to backup, but stuck it was!!????

It seems somebody copied the old backup code from DS into the Link transfer process without bothering to fix this old unaddressed issue, which BTW is documented here on CB as being an issue in DS over 2 years ago and KB still has it listed as unresolved. Grrrrr.....
    02-07-13 10:07 AM
    Yes I was also getting both DTM and Link popping up when plugging in the Z10. forgot to mention that.

I noticed a few people asking about versions - I'm using Windows 8 Pro 64 bit on an AMD system, and Link says it's version 1.0.0.72.
    02-07-13 02:38 PM
    I've never even had DM installed on one,of the PCs I'm using and I'm still getting this issue.

How do I put the z10 in aircraft mode?
    02-07-13 02:55 PM
    I've never even had DM installed on one,of the PCs I'm using and I'm still getting this issue.

How do I put the z10 in aircraft mode?
    Settings: Network Connections: Flight Mode
    02-07-13 03:45 PM
    Thanks. I'll give the flight mode thingy a go when I get home from work.
    02-08-13 12:20 AM
    I have both Link and Desktop Manager installed. Didn't need to uninstall either one.

I have only Link setup to start when a device is connected. I had trouble backing up too but i tried this Airplane Mode and now it works perfectly.

Not sure why this is but they should fix this issue.
    02-08-13 02:36 PM
    Unfortunately this hasn't worked for me...very frustrating!!
    02-09-13 12:26 AM
    Same here. Been trying to back this thing up for about a week now. But this BL is far beyond useless and was poorly made, unlike the BD.
    Another problem I found on the z10 is that my BB World has been "installing" an app for nearly a week, and I just cant seem to stop it! Its been draining my battery like crazy! Even my 2 year old iphone 4's battery last way longer than this new z10.
    02-09-13 08:17 AM
    Flight mode thingy hasn't worked for me either. Getting rather worried. I get increasingly anxious as time goes by if I can't back up a Blackberry. They take ages to sort everything out from scratch if something goes wrong. I'd much rather they concentrate on Link than 10.1 because I'm not going to want to update the firmware until I've backed my stuff up.
    daizymom and kbeard26 like this.
    02-09-13 08:41 AM
    Same here. Been trying to back this thing up for about a week now. But this BL is far beyond useless and was poorly made, unlike the BD.
    Another problem I found on the z10 is that my BB World has been "installing" an app for nearly a week, and I just cant seem to stop it! Its been draining my battery like crazy! Even my 2 year old iphone 4's battery last way longer than this new z10.
    Doesn't restarting the phone stop it?
    02-09-13 08:42 AM
    I haven't been able to get it to back up either. Able to sync both by USB and WiFi, but not able to back up. When I check the box "Select data to include in your backup files", I get "No data available for backup". If I try to do a full backup, I get "Backup did not complete" And the additional Activity Summary is "There could be a problem with the device or connection during backup. Verify that the device is turned on and connected."

When I've reinstalled Blackberry Link (several times) I get a message that a BlackBerry Smartphone driver failed to install. (using Windows 7 on a Lenovo).
    Last edited by bbplaybookuser; 02-11-13 at 08:06 AM.
    02-11-13 07:51 AM
    It's not working for me at all. Very frustrating. I've deleted and reinstalled Link. I had no problem getting the backup file from my Torch 9800 but I'm not able to transfer to or backup my Z10. I really hope that this is resolved soon.
    02-11-13 10:02 AM
    I have tried backing up on 3 computers. None work! Has ANYBODY been able to back up? Airplane mode does not work either. I have deleted every BB and RIM file on my computer and reinstalled the 10 link to no avail. Please someone help.
    02-11-13 01:08 PM
    yup same thing. will try airplane mode tonight
    02-11-13 01:14 PM
    I am also getting the "backup did not complete" using BB Link on Windows 8 platform. One interesting detail is that the "Select data to include in your backup files" option claims that there is "No data available for backup". I have music and documents on the Z10 so I know this is not true. If anyone is able to backup their z10 - could you please let us know what platform you are working with and anything else that you might have done differently. Thanx
    02-12-13 06:28 AM
    I had problems with this also. What solved it for me was to completely delete BlackBerry Manager, which has already been suggested. But then, in addition, empty the recycle bin on the Windows desktop. This solved it for me but can't guarantee it will work for everyone.

Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10
    02-12-13 06:47 AM
    Getting this on Mac OSX Lion, too.
    02-12-13 07:00 AM
    I had problems with this also. What solved it for me was to completely delete BlackBerry Manager, which has already been suggested. But then, in addition, empty the recycle bin on the Windows desktop. This solved it for me but can't guarantee it will work for everyone.

Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10
    Did you delete Desktop Manager and Blackberry Link and then re-install Blackberry Link?
    02-12-13 07:04 AM
    I cant get it to work either. Funny thing is, I was able to back up the second day. Since then "Backup did not complete"
    02-12-13 10:06 AM
110 123 ...