At least they remembered to include mail on this one
    02-24-13 01:35 AM
    This is the point I was going to make. That and the OP is trolling hard.
    Agreed people need phones but people don't need the newest & the most specked out. I think it's considered a luxury to be able to throw $200 for a 2yr contract excluding the monthly bills. Do we need a means of watching Netflix in a tiny screen when most have tv's or desktop/laptops or instawha to artificially age photos just to be part of yet another social media platform?

If BB07 works well (enough) why change... More so if you went through the Playbook launch, why jump on the new new product and expect things to be different...
    02-24-13 01:56 AM
    I use following data to answer the OP's question.
    --------------------------------------
    Emirate 24/7
    Is limited supply hampering BlackBerry Z10 sales in the UAE?
    By Joseph George
    Published Thursday, February 21, 2013

Some key excerptions from the articles are as follows:

Axiom Telecom, BlackBerry�s official resellers in the UAE, had earlier announced that the new BlackBerry Z10 is accounting for almost 60 per cent of all handset sales across its UAE stores since being available on February 10. "The UAE�s response to the Z10 has been truly remarkable, and we are set for huge, record-breaking sales,� said Faisal Al Bannai, CEO, Axiom Telecom
    eMax, another UAE electronics retailer, too said BlackBerry Z10 stocks continue to remain thin. �We still have stocks, but they are limited. Ever since BlackBerry launched its Z10, it has been the No. 1 seller. We still have Samsungs and iPhones selling but they have been pushed to No. 2 and 3 spots,� said another sales staff.
    SpectreShepherd likes this.
    02-24-13 02:07 AM
    I use following data to answer the OP's question.
    --------------------------------------
    Emirate 24/7
    Is limited supply hampering BlackBerry Z10 sales in the UAE?
    By Joseph George
    Published Thursday, February 21, 2013

Some key excerptions from the articles are as follows:

Axiom Telecom, BlackBerry’s official resellers in the UAE, had earlier announced that the new BlackBerry Z10 is accounting for almost 60 per cent of all handset sales across its UAE stores since being available on February 10. "The UAE’s response to the Z10 has been truly remarkable, and we are set for huge, record-breaking sales,” said Faisal Al Bannai, CEO, Axiom Telecom
    eMax, another UAE electronics retailer, too said BlackBerry Z10 stocks continue to remain thin. “We still have stocks, but they are limited. Ever since BlackBerry launched its Z10, it has been the No. 1 seller. We still have Samsungs and iPhones selling but they have been pushed to No. 2 and 3 spots,” said another sales staff.
    The MENA region has always been strong for BBRY... Strong sales would make sense. "Record breaking" means nothing... Is it record breaking for a single blackberry phone, record breaking for any smartphone... What does it mean? The loss of BIS will erode their market share.

Playbook no email/ BB10 no BIS
    02-24-13 02:35 AM
    Again i do think the response is similar.

Playbook did receive lukewarm reviews, but on the whole so has the Z10.

Playbook didn't sell out, but reports of the Z10 selling out may be a little misleading, for instance the store i got my Z10 from (which is in the centre of the 4th largest city in England) only got 4 in stock fpr the launch, of which they had sold 2 by the second week they'd been on sale.

The Playbook was missing some key features when it was released, which left many Blackberry fans, and reviewers perplexed. However the Z10 is also missing key things people expect on a modern smartphone, such as gmail calender sync, any of the big name apps (obviously we have to wait to see how this problem pans out), and is also lacking any really groundbreaking USP. The predictive text is a nice feature but not a sole reason to buy a phone. The hub is a nice thing to have but is far from groundbreaking.

The problem is that people dont want to buy a new phone and have to take a step backwards, something both non-blackberry users and in some respects blackberry OS7 users may feel like they are doing on BB10.

Alot is made on these forums of apps not being top big a deal, but for a huge amount of smartphone users they are a deciding factor.

Take one example like Twitters. He bb10 app is absolutely crap. Someone shouldnt go from OS7 to a very expensive new phone and not be able to do as much with it.

BB10 is missing a lot which people come to expect as standard on a modern smartphone. This is the same as how upon launch the Playbook was missing a lot which people expect from a modern tablet.

Im almost certain BB10 will massively improve just as the playbook has, however the majority of people only remember the initial hype and marketing about a product and dont tend to check back to see if any OS updates have been released since they last checked. First impressions count a lot in the technology market, especially where companies need to sell a huge number of products.

I love Blackberry,ive exclusively used thwir phones for years and use my playbook everyday. However, seeing what im seeing its hard not to worry a little.

Posted via CB10
    I have owned a playbook since the day after launch. If it was the same we would see way more negative reviews and the problem wouldn't be bad or missing apps. It would be laggy keyboard and constant crashing of apps along with how terrible browser based email is. Honestly the playbook launch was to put an alpha OS into the hands of a lot of people. Still enjoyed it but the browser was a bit slow and checkerboard reaaalllllyyyy bad. It also lagged in portrait while scrolling or pinching. Hello it took a few updates to get it to do that smoothly in landscape. The Z10 is NOT another playbook. It is a whole lot better. Also consider there are way more BBRY phone loyalists than tablet loyalists. Translates into a lot more sales.

Edit: I love when people say record breaking means nothing. Oh okay so the next time someone breaks a world record just sit there and go. Data or it didn't happen. Thor wouldn't lie. It would be stupid to lie. Also people saying it didn't sell out or there wasn't much stock. There were places that got more and paces that got less stock. Your opinion based on your store reflects one location. So far from what I've seen is all the sold out reports are from all over and all the naysayers simply say they went and their store had them I stock and therefore its all a lie. Maybe I'm wrong but it just seems improbable for sales to be low. Analysts are probably just going uber negative now based on very little or nothing. I always thought the checks they did involved talking to suppliers of stuff that goes into z10 and figuring how much is being sold but nope they just call random stores. Hello for all we know they may call more stores and cherry pick the ones that say they aren't sold out.
    02-24-13 02:42 AM
    The arch seems to be trending the same:

...much deleted
    I see way too many similarities than I do differences. I hope I�m wrong come 3/28 when earnings are announced.
    You don't see 80 million BB phone users as potential upgrades versus no established PlayBook users at the PlayBook launch? Uh, that's a huge difference.
    02-24-13 08:12 AM
    Just got my hands on a original old stock Playbook 64 and boy, the original OS was ****. I updated to the latest and it's so much smoother. Couldn't play long with it with the old firmware, it was quite painful to see.

Anyhow, wishing BB all the best, I did my part and bought their two "flagship devices". So, now, keep it going.
    02-24-13 08:59 AM
    Guys, apparently the OP doesn't even want our opinions.
    Whenever we state something he just shoots it down and says "Same defence as the playbook".
    02-24-13 09:06 AM
    Guys, apparently the OP doesn't even want our opinions.
    Whenever we state something he just shoots it down and says "Same defence as the playbook".
    Anyone who lived through the PlayBook's launch knows that this is a very different animal. It is really as simple as that.

The OP is just a troll who wants the Z10 to fail and has concocted a false premise that he refuses to accept has been refuted.

Z10 is not perfect and its success is not guaranteed. That said, it is in a much stronger position than PlayBook was because it is a much better product.

Posted via CB10
    shupor likes this.
    02-24-13 09:19 AM
    To me one of the biggest differences is in the reactions of people. Very anecdotal, but when I pull out my playbook people will either say 'is that an ipad?' or 'what is that?'. Most have never even heard of a playbook. Also - at my husband's store - the playbooks sold well - but people had to be told they existed and in a much lower price point.

When I pull out my Z10 I most often hear 'is that the new blackberry? Can I try it?' usually followed by them telling me they can't wait to get to their contract upgrade or asking how the heck I got one because they've had to go on a wait list. At my husband's store people are asking for it and they have trouble keeping stock. And they get more than 4, I assure you.

So while the many other reasons that other posters have pointed out are also true - this has been the best evidence to me that things are different now with bb.

And let's not forget the increased marketing, dev interactions and everything else the new BlackBerry have been doing. It's actually laughable that it could be compared to the playbook launch.
    bigbbrybeliever likes this.
    02-24-13 09:58 AM
    Vork do you live in a bubble? RIM blew a fortune advertising the PlayBook at launch and promised how it would "Bridge" to our BlackBerry phones. The first edition PlayBook OS was garbage and we waited 18 months for an upgrade. The Z10 needs some tweaking and it will get it just don't expect it soon. That isn't the BlackBerry way. I do think there is going to be a unusually high return rate on the Z10 as it can not do what TH says it can. Just like PlayBook!

Posted via CB10
    02-24-13 10:07 AM
    I just peek at the playbook forum and god..its nothing but complaints and disappointment..battery drain after 1526. (mine also drains quickly now) and still in 2.1, a million years from 10.0.10
    They were having problems with android port vs battery life, which will surely happen tp us on z10.

Posted via CB10
    02-24-13 10:07 AM
    Vork do you live in a bubble? RIM blew a fortune advertising the PlayBook at launch and promised how it would "Bridge" to our BlackBerry phones. The first edition PlayBook OS was garbage and we waited 18 months for an upgrade. The Z10 needs some tweaking and it will get it just don't expect it soon. That isn't the BlackBerry way. I do think there is going to be a unusually high return rate on the Z10 as it can not do what TH says it can. Just like PlayBook!

Posted via CB10

People don't buy BlackBerries expecting the best app ecosystem. They buy BlackBerries for other reasons, messaging among them.

Playbook's advertising suggested that Playbook had a complete App ecosystem and was very misleading. Also, RIM made all kinds of false statements about things that were in the pipeline that would fix everything that was wrong. Most of this stuff never came to pass. If it did, it took over a year.

BB10 is a stable and feature complete OS that is competitive with anything else out there. If BlackBerry delivers on the Apps that have been announced, I think The Z10 will do just fine.

Message boards attract people experiencing problems and are not a good indicator of whether a product is a good one.
    Vorkosigan likes this.
    02-24-13 10:44 AM
    You don't see 80 million BB phone users as potential upgrades versus no established PlayBook users at the PlayBook launch? Uh, that's a huge difference.
    Blacberry doesn't have 80mm users to upgrade. You're making a few assumptions:

That the loss of BIS won't affect sales, esp in emerging/developing markets. Nigeria in particular is very price sensitive.
    That BB10/Q10 will be the answer for all those who want to upgrade
    That the competition will stand idly by. Who do you think everyone crows about whatsapp? Apple & Samsung on the high end, Nokia & the various Chinese co's on the low end.
    That companies are automatically going to refresh to BB10. If you're an employer & employees show up with their own phones... BBRY, Good Tech, Iron Mobile, Airwatch can secure them (beyond iOS's intro security).

I will always respond w/ Playbook... Take a look at the thread. All issues i'm sure will be resolved w/ an update is a repetitive theme. It's the same here.
    02-24-13 10:57 AM
    Desktoper, are you running Ubuntu on a PB?
    02-24-13 11:00 AM
    It's always the same for most products with high expectations on first launch, but i don't see similarity with the playbook, if you follow the BB10 you'll notice that apps are coming constantly !!
    '
    02-24-13 11:04 AM
    Blacberry doesn't have 80mm users to upgrade. You're making a few assumptions:

That the loss of BIS won't affect sales, esp in emerging/developing markets. Nigeria in particular is very price sensitive.
    That BB10/Q10 will be the answer for all those who want to upgrade
    That the competition will stand idly by. Who do you think everyone crows about whatsapp? Apple & Samsung on the high end, Nokia & the various Chinese co's on the low end.
    That companies are automatically going to refresh to BB10. If you're an employer & employees show up with their own phones... BBRY, Good Tech, Iron Mobile, Airwatch can secure them (beyond iOS's intro security).

I will always respond w/ Playbook... Take a look at the thread. All issues i'm sure will be resolved w/ an update is a repetitive theme. It's the same here.
    How else can you respond to a software issue other than an update? Black magic?

All platforms have issues. BB10 has a few but none are showstoppers.

I read the hands on impressions from Mwc about the new Samsung tabs and they have lag. A recent iOS update caused havoc with enterprise accounts.

Competition does not sit still but it is not perfect either.

Troll someplace else.
    02-24-13 11:08 AM
    just a troll who wants the Z10 to fail and has concocted a false premise that he refuses to accept has been refuted.
    What exactly is the false premise; that BBRY does substantially the same and expect different results?
    02-24-13 11:08 AM
    i have to agree with something, the "loyal users" who just keep complaining and whining about bugs, lack of apps, battery life etc. normal things that happens to every platform on first version. If everyone instead of complaining and talking BS would try to help in the community to make BB10 better, this threat wouldn't even be here.
    02-24-13 11:09 AM
    What exactly is the false premise; that BBRY does substantially the same and expect different results?
    Troll someplace else.
    02-24-13 11:11 AM
    Whether he has a Z10 or not has no effect on the point being made, neither does how the Z10 and Playbook stack up against each other. All that is being claimed is that the 'current' response from people on forums and the media in general is very similar to the reaction we saw after the Playbook's launch.

Posted via CB10
    Are you a defender, or an "alter ego"??
    02-24-13 11:25 AM
    Are you a defender, or an "alter ego"??
    What do you mean a defender or an alter ego?

I saw that the OP made a point which was widely misunderstood, with people comparing the software of the Z10 and the Playbook, when the OP was talking about the general reaction to them, and wasnt comparing them against each other

Although i am getting bored of anyone with any sort of criticism of BB10 getting so much hate thrown at them. Why not just ban anyone being able to criticise or comment on OS flaws in BB10 on here if people with genuine points to make are just getting abused? It'd make this all a lot simpler, but would also negate the point of having a discussion forum in the first place.

Posted via CB10
    02-24-13 12:46 PM
    The pb sold less in a year then i bet the z10 sold in a few weeks, i think the z10 launch is going a lot better than the pb launch for sure.
    02-24-13 12:48 PM

Posted via CB10
    A year and a half for an os upgrade?That's some revisionist history!
    BlackStormRising likes this.
    02-24-13 01:06 PM
    @rubberchicken - playbooks were launched in Apr
    02-24-13 01:20 PM
148 ... 23456