As most of you may have discovered, the keyboard always displays uppercase characters regardless of whether you're typing in uppercase or lowercase. Does this bother anyone or is it just me? I know there's a blue indicator on the shift key to let you know when you're on uppercase but I still find myself getting confused sometimes...no biggie as we never had it anyway coming from physical keyboards. I'll probably get used to it eventually but I still wish the display can change from upper and lower characters accordingly. Makes me wonder if this was done intentionally and if so, why? what could be the benefit of having a static display on a modern 2013 virtual keyboard...or do you guys think they just missed that design element? Other than that I love the word flicking
    03-10-13 08:44 AM
    This is a good point!

It's something that doesn't bother me really. I know when I'm typing in upper or lower case. In any case "Pardon the pun" it's something I've never even thought of before.

"Missed that design element" - No, I wouldn't say so. The keyboard was designed to emulate BlackBerry physical keyboards (I.e. the Frets, etc) so I think this is just a factor of BlackBerry doing that.

Their previous touch screen keyboards were in capitals too (I believe, correct me if I'm wrong)

Other than that, this virtual keyboard has made me, a physical keyboard junkie, very happy indeed
    03-10-13 08:52 AM
    I mentioned this last month when I first got the phone, it is annoying, and hopefully it was just an oversight and it will get fixed. But then part of me thinks they did this on purpose for some weird reason....the PlayBook onscreen keyboard works perfectly - it switches between upper and lower case as you are typing, so you always know what to expect. So why did they take something that wasn't broken, and break it :/
    03-10-13 08:53 AM
    It would be nice if the OS didn't dictate upper and lower case, surely that's a user choice? Please change it BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    Seeing as every typewriter, computer and laptop I have ever used had uppercase keys this is not a problem or I am wondering if I don't understand your question.

Posted via CB10
    sgt_snacks-64 likes this.
    There was a post somewhere from BlackBerry that this was done for readability.

Posted via CB10
    03-10-13 08:56 AM
    It doesn't bother me. Like you said so yourself, physical keyboards are all showing caps. That said, the touchscreen keyboard on Samsung smartphones have the feature.

In the case of the Z10, maybe you want to change your setting for your keyboard input. Settings > Language and Input > On-Screen Keyboard > Keypress Pop-up > On

I personally find it very distracting as the text predictions are showing up amongst the letters too.

I love the word flicking too but that said, I hardly have to use it, as the keyboard is so smart and has been learning my typing style. I type without looking and the words all come out looking good!

As most of you may have discovered, the keyboard always displays uppercase characters regardless of whether you're typing in uppercase or lowercase. Does this bother anyone or is it just me? I know there's a blue indicator on the shift key to let you know when you're on uppercase but I still find myself getting confused sometimes...no biggie as we never had it anyway coming from physical keyboards. I'll probably get used to it eventually but I still wish the display can change from upper and lower characters accordingly. Makes me wonder if this was done intentionally and if so, why? what could be the benefit of having a static display on a modern 2013 virtual keyboard...or do you guys think they just missed that design element? Other than that I love the word flicking
    03-10-13 09:08 AM
    It's pretty simple and as far as I can tell was a design purpose. The keyboard was built to emulate the physical keyboard...all the way down to the frets included on screen. Last time I checked you could not change the case of the physical keyboard? Doesn't bother me one bit...as fast as I type if it happens to be wrong I just swipe back to delete and retype with the proper case. So much better than any Android or iOS keyboard I've used....pretty close to a BB physical keyboard...but I would still say the 9900 keyboard was better.
    03-10-13 09:39 AM
    Doesn't bother me. I think it would look silly in lowercase.

Posted via CB10 from my Z
    03-10-13 09:43 AM
    thanks for your inputs. I guess looking at it from the standpoint of emulating the previous physical keyboard designs, that makes sense.

I just noticed it since i cant remember having used a virtual keyboard from any touchscreen phone of recent years that didn't switch displays from upper and lower case when typing. But then again, almost all my blackberries have had physical querties so i am just comparing with my recent phones with other platforms and not previous blackberry all touch models.

I still love the keyboard though, as i said no biggie, i just thought of it out of curiousity and didn't know it's been discussed before because the keywords i was using to search for this topic may have been wrong.

..and to Jesse, i totally agree making it lowercase would be silly...i wasn't talking about making the keyboard display lowercase all the time, just when typing in lowercase and back to uppercase when shift is pressed

Tapatalk for BlackBerry�
    03-10-13 09:59 AM
    .the PlayBook onscreen keyboard works perfectly - it switches between upper and lower case as you are typing, so you always know what to expect. So why did they take something that wasn't broken, and break it :/
    Typing on PlayBooks keyboard really sucks, its laggy. I wish PlayBook's keyboard gets better after BB10 update.
    03-10-13 10:05 AM
    Seeing as every keyboard displays the letters in upper case, I like the continuity. Also, in upper case, letters have more differentiation.

Posted via CB10
    03-10-13 10:07 AM
    Better that the Z10 keyboard stays in large cap whilst the predictive text intelligence is constantly improved by Blackberry so as to stay ahead of competition all the time. Just saying where I would like to see Blackberry's priorities.
    03-10-13 10:12 AM
    The argument "every physical keyboard does this so what's the problem" just doesn't hold water IMO.

We don't use typewriters anymore either.

If it was a design decision, it needs to re-visited.
    03-21-13 11:11 AM