Hi Guys,

Love my Z10, however, last few days I have been having some serious issues with it keep randomly rebooting?! It's using a lot of my battery keep doing this and causing me to miss calls etc.

I am based in the UK on the O2 network running the official 10.1 OS.

Any ideas what this could be? Done it around 10 times in the last 8 hours.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Shibby

Posted via CB10
    09-10-13 11:29 AM
    Hi Guys,

Love my Z10, however, last few days I have been having some serious issues with it keep randomly rebooting?! It's using a lot of my battery keep doing this and causing me to miss calls etc.

I am based in the UK on the O2 network running the official 10.1 OS.

Any ideas what this could be? Done it around 10 times in the last 8 hours.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Shibby

Posted via CB10
    Which 10.1 do you have? The random reboot bug has been fixed with OS ~10.1.0.2050 and higher. Your carrier should have the latest 10.1 MR (10.1.0.4xxx) available for download which will solve the issue.
    09-10-13 11:42 AM
    Sounds like the random rebooting broke the search function on your CB10 app, too.

-Chris-
    tdaye likes this.
    09-10-13 11:45 AM
    New battery could do it, been reported loose batteries have caused random reboots.
    Elite1 and niss63 like this.
    09-10-13 11:48 AM
    When did it start this behaviour?
    Does the timeframe correlate to any other events? Such as: updating OS, sideloading an app, downloading/updating a particular app, deleting an app, dropping/banging device, water exposure, etc.

You can try a device reset first. (NOT the same as a restart.)
    Hold down your top button for about 30 seconds. Keep pressing it down, ignoring onscreen countdown and restart option, BB splashscreen, black screen, red LED, and BB splashscreen again. I hold down that button until I see the blue startup icon.
    09-10-13 11:58 AM
    @shibby080 - I would look at what has changed recently, such as an app installed or some setting that was tweaked. The random reboot issue was fixed with later 10.1 updates, but what you are describing sounds different than the typical random reboots being experienced earlier.

HTH

Sounds like the random rebooting broke the search function on your CB10 app, too.

-Chris-
    And search for what? Endless arguing between those that were experiencing the problem and those that called them trolls? Just answer the question instead of complaining about a new thread.

Posted via CB10
    09-10-13 12:46 PM
    I would look at what has changed recently, such as an app installed or some setting that was tweaked. The random reboot issue was fixed with later 10.1 updates, but what you are describing sounds different than the typical random reboots being experienced earlier.
    Excellent advice. I've had the problem myself, and it's probably due to a few persistent applications I sideloaded, like Google Talk and eBay. Only happens when the phone is idle, and the only other instance of crashing is when I run certain games through PCSX. Not about to remove everything just yet.
    niss63 likes this.
    09-10-13 02:00 PM
    @shibby080 - I would look at what has changed recently, such as an app installed or some setting that was tweaked. The random reboot issue was fixed with later 10.1 updates, but what you are describing sounds different than the typical random reboots being experienced earlier.

HTH

And search for what? Endless arguing between those that were experiencing the problem and those that called them trolls? Just answer the question instead of complaining about a new thread.

Posted via CB10

Looks like I answered it just as much as you did, no?

Considering there are a ridiculous amount of threads on this all pointing out multiple items such as the battery or in most cases android sideloads, the OP would get a much faster and more complete answer from the information already at hand instead of starting a brand new thread asking to be spoon-fed the information.

Why don't you just answer the question instead of complaining about a valid request to use the search function.

Some people's children.

-Chris-
    09-10-13 02:39 PM
    Niss63 and everyone else except Chris, thanks for your replies. I understand what your saying Chris, and valid points, however, my search button does work as I searched for about 1 and half hours looking for information. I am not on the old software I am on 10.1.0.4200 official and latest from O2 UK. I couldn't find anything within my search that gave me an answer as to what it was. This is the reason for me getting frustrated and starting a new thread. If you don't like that, simply don't reply and waste your time on impatient idiots like me that are quite new to BlackBerry.

I have never sideloaded anything on this phone as I just know something will go wrong, it's just my luck.

It may be the battery as it happened a few times while I was walking home from work with my headphones in listening to music. I haven't downloaded any new apps recently so doubt it could be that. I don't have a case on the phone so don't know if that would help secure the battery at all?

Thanks again guys

Posted via CB10
    09-11-13 01:59 AM
    Looks like I answered it just as much as you did, no?

Considering there are a ridiculous amount of threads on this all pointing out multiple items such as the battery or in most cases android sideloads, the OP would get a much faster and more complete answer from the information already at hand instead of starting a brand new thread asking to be spoon-fed the information.

Why don't you just answer the question instead of complaining about a valid request to use the search function.

Some people's children.

-Chris-
    Go back and read. I did attempt to answer the question. I had a phone that randomly rebooted, which was proven not to be due to side loads or the batteries (I carry two of them.)

@shibby080 - Early on, I thought my phone might have been rebooting due to the loose battery losing connection problem. I made a shim out of a business card that I placed at the end of my battery to take up the slack. It did make the battery fit more snugly, but it did not stop my reboots - I ended up exchanging the phone for another, which did end my reboots. However, I've heard of some that have stopped the reboots with a shim, so I'd give it a try.

God luck with it.

Posted via CB10
    09-11-13 08:20 AM
    each system have random reboot!!!

Posted via CB10
    09-11-13 08:30 AM
    Thanks Niss63. So you mean cut a business card to size and just place this at the back (between the battery and back cover)? Is that correct? If so I'll give it a go, it's been ok all day, then again around the same time 15:00 today it started again, done it about 5 times today, very strange.

Posted via CB10
    09-11-13 11:46 AM
    Thanks Niss63. So you mean cut a business card to size and just place this at the back (between the battery and back cover)? Is that correct? If so I'll give it a go, it's been ok all day, then again around the same time 15:00 today it started again, done it about 5 times today, very strange.

Posted via CB10
    Sounds like u need an upgrade to latest 10.2 leaked.

Posted via CB10
    09-11-13 11:55 AM
    That's weird I never had any reboot so far

Posted via CB10
    09-11-13 11:58 AM

Posted via CB10
    Cut out a small shim the size of the end of the battery. The purpose is to press the battery up against the battery contacts. So the shim would be quite small - the same size as the end of the battery. I've traced an approximate size in the picture. The shim is placed between the phone's battery box and the b u t t end of the battery - see the picture where the pen is pointing. HTH

Z10 keeps randomly rebooting-img_00000035.jpg

Z10 keeps randomly rebooting-img_00000036.jpg

Posted via CB10

Had to edit. I didn't know you can't use b u t t to describe the end of a device. LOL
    Last edited by niss63; 09-12-13 at 07:31 AM.
    09-11-13 12:00 PM
    My reboots went away after removing the SD card. I did not reformat it when I started using it.

When I put it back in after a few weeks of being reboot free, I reformatted the card in my Z10 and it has not rebooted since.
    09-11-13 12:12 PM
    Awesome thanks Niss63! This is why I started a new thread for great feedback like that! I'll give that a try this afternoon and let you know how it goes. It won't heat up and cause issues will it when the battery gets hot?

Thanks again guys

Posted via CB10
    09-12-13 06:07 AM

HTH

Posted via CB10
    +1 why is there always a d-beg on this site that feels the need to tell someone to use the search function. Have you ever walked into a retail store and asked were something you needed was and the employee tells you to go check the website first!

From my Z10 to YOU, BOO-YAH!
    niss63 likes this.
    09-12-13 06:33 AM
    Good answer Carmels!! Agreed.

Posted via CB10
    09-12-13 06:44 AM
    I wouldnt listen to any suggestions, these reboots happen. The only way they go away is with newer OS's. I have a leaked 10.2 on my Z10 and I havent had one since. I would say any 10.1 OS comes c/w reboots. And I dont even know what to say about these people who say secure the battery, seems like a lot of work for something that isnt going to help, unless you are consently banging your phone around.
    09-12-13 06:44 AM
    Your rebooting sounds pretty drastic.

You may need to conduct some investigation and take some time to figure out the root cause. Some folks on here have backed up their phones, did a full wipe and have used it clean for a few days just to test the phone out. Once all clear, load your backup and then see how the phone reacts. If the problem returns then you would know it's something to do with what had been saved with your backup i.e. apps, data, music videos etc etc.

Some sideloaded apps have been know to wreak havoc on BB10 OS's so make note of what apps you have loaded up and research if they're a know root cause.

From my Z10 to YOU, BOO-YAH!
    niss63 likes this.
    09-12-13 06:47 AM
    I wouldnt listen to any suggestions, these reboots happen. The only way they go away is with newer OS's. I have a leaked 10.2 on my Z10 and I havent had one since. I would say any 10.1 OS comes c/w reboots. And I dont even know what to say about these people who say secure the battery, seems like a lot of work for something that isnt going to help, unless you are consently banging your phone around.
    He has the latest official software, which fixed the reboot problem being experienced by many. The reboots are occurring while walking, so a loose battery could be causing the reboots. It is certainly easy enough to do and is worth a try.

Posted via CB10
    09-12-13 07:37 AM
    Awesome thanks Niss63! This is why I started a new thread for great feedback like that! I'll give that a try this afternoon and let you know how it goes. It won't heat up and cause issues will it when the battery gets hot?

Thanks again guys

Posted via CB10
    No, the shim won't affect the battery operation or cause any heat retention.

Posted via CB10
    09-12-13 07:39 AM
    Had to edit. I didn't know you can't use b u t t to describe the end of a device. LOL
    I used to post on a car forum that wouldn't let you say Cutlass, all because it had ass in it. Overzealous nonsense.
    09-12-13 09:14 AM
    Niss63 - #shock tried the card to support the battery and had no reboots today so far awesome advice, thanks mate!!

Posted via CB10
    niss63 likes this.
    09-12-13 12:31 PM