I got my z10 from EE yesterday, and frustratingly my BBM is not working. Everytime i try to open the application it says

BBM Error
    Unable to Connect
    You need a data plan to use BBM. Please contact your service provider for details.

All other data applications like email facebook and twitter work fine, my signal has the capital G in it, and theres a blackberry logo next to the signal.
    If this doesnt get solved by tomorrow, im taking it back.

Anyone have any ideas how to fix this?
    02-01-13 10:35 AM
    Might be worth getting in touch with your carrier about it
    02-01-13 10:40 AM
    I did, was on the phone with EE for about an hour both today and yesterday - theyre just as stumped as I am
    02-01-13 10:42 AM
    I would get that happening on my 9800 once in while when my 5year old would accidently be messing with settings. Don't have a z10 yet, so not sure about setting but check to see if data services is on or off. when I had issues with bbm data services was off.
    02-01-13 10:42 AM
    Why not try to contact BB? I think if you register your phone on their site, you will have the automatic and free 90days support.
    They are nice, quick and efficient (I saddly had to contact them for another pb wwhich they took care the same day!)
    02-01-13 10:51 AM
    Tried turning data services on and off, tried pulling the battery, tried pulling the sim card, i think i tried every trick in the book, and im still stumped! I still dont know whether there is an issue with the device, or with the network...
    02-01-13 10:52 AM
    Have you tried requesting new service books? It's been some time since I've been on a BB () but I think this might do the trick for you.

See this URL for an exhaustive How-To: http://forums.crackberry.com/tips-ho...ks-how-115031/

Also ensure your timezone and time is set properly. Not having that correct will definitely cause some anomalous behavior.

Sean-Colin
    02-01-13 11:45 AM
    Try new service books, if that fails, log out of BlackBerry ID, and then log back in, once done, try it again.

Failing that, call your carrier, ask them to remove your data plan, power off your device, and then ask them to add the data plan back on. Once done, power on the device and see what happens.

Lastly you may have to reset to factory, and then try again.
    02-01-13 11:53 AM
    There are no more service books in bb 10 I'm afraid! Time is also correct... Thanks for the suggestion though
    02-01-13 11:55 AM
    To switch blackberry ID, in bb10 you need to security wipe the device - I've done that three times, tried with three different blackberry IDs. Still no joy. This is either a defective phone, or the network people aren't doing something right!
    02-01-13 12:00 PM
    I've got the same issue. Also on EE. Ported my number in. All was fine until the number port finalised.
    02-01-13 12:20 PM
    Might be the network then... So your bbm worked fine until the number was changed?
    02-01-13 12:32 PM
    Spoke too soon. After writing my last comment, I went to open BBM again. Worked fine. :-)
    02-01-13 04:36 PM
    I've got the same problem, but I'm on the O2 network. Everything else works fine, apart from BBM.
    The trouble is that until yesterday, BBM did work, not so this morning...
    I'm very confused about all this, as I am only aware of one thing changing from yesterday until today: my BB 9900's BIS expired today. Can it be that that is the reason why it's gone? I thought we didn't need a BIS to use BBM!..
    Has anybody else been in this situation (overlapping BIS data plan with the regular data plan for the new Z10), and if so, have you seen any changes?

Well, about 1 hour later, it all started working again!! I imagine it was probably due to my network making changing some of the settings of my data plan, from BIS to a regular one, I don't know, but at least is working.
    Last edited by ibercheci; 02-02-13 at 05:24 AM.
    02-02-13 05:05 AM
    Take a look: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ml#post7921806

BBM requires BIS, this is a only one application that requires it.
    02-02-13 05:14 AM
    Hi guys -
    Blackberry actually contacted me about this issue and solved everything for me. Very very helpful, excellent customer service. Kudos!

Anyway, the issue was that yes, BBM is the only applicaiton in BB10 that still requires a form of BIS. My provider, EE, put me on a wrong data plan - which is why i could not access BBM. Blackberry contacted EE on my behalf using my PIN and asked them to put the right data plan.
    Curiously though, when i tried taking out the simcard and using it wifi only, the BBM still works. Dont really know what to make of that.

So if you have the issue, ask your service provider to ensure you are in the correct data plan. Hope this helps!
    02-02-13 05:51 AM
    Same problem for me. Bought it three days ago. What should I do
    02-06-13 09:01 AM
    Hi,

What network are you on?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    02-06-13 01:23 PM
    EE...I will contact BB today to see what they can do
    02-07-13 06:19 AM