I have had a phone with every currently popular mobile OS. Here's my thoughts.

Android works fine, but the interface is a giant mess.

Windows Phone 8.1 is a well thought out OS, but has an even more limited app ecosystem than BlackBerry, and the messaging app has some flaws. On the plus side, Windows Phone has the best virtual keyboard, period.

BlackBerry 10 is the best currently relevant mobile OS in my opinion. I love the hub, and the the way the multitasking works is sublime. That being said, there are some shortcomings. For example, my Q10 will only record from its built in microphone. Any other phone I try, I plug in my external mic and it just works, but no amount of fiddling will get it working on my Q10. To be fair, I haven't tried it on my Z10 yet.

Which brings us to iPhones. I have an iPhone 5C, and in my opinion, it is the best phone Apple has ever made. It's small, reasonably lightweight, affordable-ish, and it's shell is made of plastic; not aluminum, glass, or any other completely inappropriate material. Others will probably disagree with me, but I don't want a $500 hand held device that is made from dent or shatter prone materials. That being said, the glossy plastic is also stupid, just not as stupid. Anyway, the iPhone works with every major app under the sun. Want someone to pay you with a credit card? Done. That doesn't work with BlackBerry 10, at least not with the Square app.

Hardware wise, there are good and bad options for every OS. To me, half of the beauty of the iPhone line was the size consistency. With the 6 and 6+ Apple has thrown that out the window. Also, the 6 and 6+ look to me like they are failed props for a Tron movie, but that's a subjective thing. The Z10 is really a nice phone, and it's good looking, but the battery life is awful. I'm sorry, but anyone who is getting worse battery life from an iPhone 5C than a Z10 is doing something wrong. My 5C can go all day, or very close to it. My Z10, not so much. My Q10 has much better battery life than both of them.

My 5C has a much better camera than either of my Blackberrys. The HTC 8X that I had was considerably better than the 5C, and as I understand it the Lumia 1020 is still king of the smartphone camera wars. All of that being said, I find the camera in my Q10 acceptable, and I much prefer the way it operates (the app, spacebar to shoot, et cetera).

Honestly, even with all of the annoying glitches of running 10.3.1 from an autoloader (I'm a t-mobile customer), my Q10 is my favorite phone ever, and I have had a lot of phones, so my advice is buy a Q10 and be happy.

Posted via CB10
    vtpmt81 likes this.
    05-03-15 07:21 PM
    I have a cell phone repair business. Well I have an iPhone repair business. I rarely get an android to work on and when I do I sub it out. But after working on soooooooo many iphones I will never use one. I think they are garbage. And iOS is very juvenile. I would take a z10 over an iPhone any day. But if I were going for an all touch BlackBerry I would go to a z30 over a z10 just because it is a little bigger and better battery life. Iphones suck.

Posted via CB10
    lift likes this.
    05-03-15 08:31 PM
    Windows Phone has the best virtual keyboard, period
    Sorry, but LOL. No way. I have used many VKB's and BlackBerry has the best by far.
    vtpmt81 likes this.
    05-03-15 09:20 PM
    Sorry, but LOL. No way. I have used many VKB's and BlackBerry has the best by far.
    My statement was subjective, but so is yours.

Posted via CB10
    05-04-15 12:24 AM
    Hi it all depends on your needs. My girlfriend is very happy with her iPhone but she uses her very differently than I do. I run 2 businesses and for me communication is key between e-mailing & texting. The keyboard on my Z10 is better hands down than the iPhone and the Hub just rocks period IMO. So I would look at the pro's & con's of both phones according to your needs and make your decision accordingly. Good Luck.. Rocking 24-7 with my Z10 (STL100-2) & 64GB PlayBook
    05-04-15 12:59 AM
    uh,think twice about that if mobile check deposits are important,I know for a fact 10.2 something does not do it and there isn't a single bank in the US that allows Blackberry to deposit a check via mobile deposit.maybe it will work with the 10.3 version so I hear.
    Yesterday I used CitiBank app on my Passport to deposit a check I received from State for 2014 taxes..
    It works just fine..
    05-04-15 04:31 AM
    OP - you have to decide what is best for you. One poster already mentioned to get the right version of the Z10. The Z10 has mediocre battery life - but you can use a micro SD card, get a spare battery for hot swapping, and it is very cheap. The Z10's camera isn't bad either and BlackBerry offers a bunch of really nice camera features. However - get the Z30 if you can - it is a better phone in every way except the display.

I owned an iPhone 5 - it was a solid device. The camera was pretty good except in very direct sunlight (purple flares). Battery life in stand by mode was incredible - but as soon you started using the phone the battery would drain pretty quickly. The phone still lasted all day for me though (averaged about 2 1/2 hrs of screen on time - 30 mins of web browsing - 30 mins of phone calls - 15 mins text messages).

If I were you I would grab the Z30 and see how you like it. You can find the Z30 on Amazon for $250.
    Michael Liang likes this.
    05-04-15 12:41 PM
    Iphone 5

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    05-04-15 11:33 PM
    This should be an easy decision. The two OSes are incredibly different in terms of look, feel and functionality. See if you can spend a week with each somehow, and I have no doubt you will like one a lot more that the other.

For me, I really can't use the iPhone. I spent a week with a shiny new 6, and I really tried, but I kept finding myself booting up my laptop to get real work done, either on the Web, email or for writing.

For me, at least, the main things I prefer on BlackBerry are the virtual keyboard; email,; task, contact and calendar handling (which is far from perfect on BlackBerry but which I really dislike in iOS); and the Web browser.

The above comprises 90% of my smartphone use. The entire iPhone app ecosystem is just a distraction for me most of the time. I've never found an app I need that I can't make work on my z10, with the exception of decent Google Drive integration, which is why I use OneDrive, Box and DropBox instead.

Posted via CB10
    05-05-15 11:40 AM
    Z10. It costs way less money than an iPhone.

Posted via CB10
    05-06-15 06:27 AM
    I just sold my iPhone 5 for a Z10 a month ago. So glad to be back on blackberry. For a number of reasons: BB10 is on par with android and IOS, love the Hub, keyboard is much better, I have access to all the apps I had on my iPhone by side loading, or using the amazon app store, and my god the Blackberry phones are just plain sexy in appearance. The only thing I miss about my iPhone is face time. So if you want what everyone else has, get the iPhone. If you want to have a device that is truly made for the professional, go blackberry baby!

Posted via CB10
    lift and LoneStarRed like this.
    05-07-15 12:53 AM
36 12