I know this is a completely different device but I wanted to check on what to do when I first got this device. I am coming from a lumia 920 and it was a general consensus to drain the battery all the way before charging. There was also a suggestion to do a hard reset so that I made sure it was still within the return period just in case it bricked. Anything I should know about? I know there are some issues with the screen looking yellow, is there a way to test to make sure I got a good one? Also, when I side-load apps, I see there are a lot of apps available but just in case I want to try converting an app that I like to use if I use my old Droid Incredible that has Android 2.3.3 on it, will it have generally greater success than doing the same on my 4.2.2 Jelly Bean Nexus 7?

Thank you for your time
    03-18-13 09:27 PM
    First things first ... Take big breaths... now exhale

Ill try my best to help you.
    1) for the first 4 days approx you should discharge then charge the phone completely. There's no memory on the battery some say, and others say different. Charge overnight and again when the battery gets to 10%. If you have a playbook charger, it is fine to use on the Z10. Its about 50minutes to an hour charge, so it cuts the charge in half. Basically its the same as an aftermarket quick charger.

2) You dont need to reset the phone unless you notice something is wrong. There have been very few if any reported problems out of the box, but all electronics are subject to a bad device.

3)Dont even think about the screen. Ive read numerous threads about yellowish screens, but it was at the early launch and I also have a hunch the people were just being picky. Ive seen at least 30 different Z10's and they were all fine. On that same note, the software that runs the light sensor likes to dim the screen a bit when in a dark room. Its for your eyes, but at the same time makes the screen yellowish. Its the same thing that happens to all TVs and laptops when you turn down the brightness. An option will be given to us in the next few updates to turn that sensor off, but for right now its fine.

3) As for apps I dont know how to answer your last question. There are lots of apps, but at the same time there are a bunch missing... DO NOT FREAK OUT. The app developers are in the process of building all the desired apps. Over the last 6 weeks I have seen dozens pop up daily. I dont have the right terminology but right now Blackberry has an Android 2.8 or something runtime (?!?!) And will be upgraded to run like 4.2 in the near future. What does this mean? I have no clue ... But I think it means android apps will soon run better then they do now. Although I find they mostly run fine, taking into account they are to fill a void while the real apps are developed. If you can convert the apps you like and share within the community, people here will love you
    DJRikko and shads77 like this.
    03-18-13 10:11 PM
    I know this is a completely different device but I wanted to check on what to do when I first got this device. I am coming from a lumia 920 and it was a general consensus to drain the battery all the way before charging. There was also a suggestion to do a hard reset so that I made sure it was still within the return period just in case it bricked. Anything I should know about? I know there are some issues with the screen looking yellow, is there a way to test to make sure I got a good one? Also, when I side-load apps, I see there are a lot of apps available but just in case I want to try converting an app that I like to use if I use my old Droid Incredible that has Android 2.3.3 on it, will it have generally greater success than doing the same on my 4.2.2 Jelly Bean Nexus 7?

Thank you for your time
    Hey, well, welcome to the awesomeness that is BB10!

Knowing what I know now, I would suggest the following:

Yes, let the battery die fully before you carge it, and let it die 2 or 3 times.

I would suggest updating your OS version if it's available, if not, just go ahead and set up your email accounts, contacts, phone settings, BB ID, BBM, etc. THEN do a full back up of the phone. That way if you have to revert to zero, it won't screw up with contacts, settings, and accounts (make sure to safeguard this one file on your computer).

Next, I would download a pixel check app from BBWorld to see if you have any dead pixels, and this will help let you know about a yellow screen (???? I didn't know that was an issue???? Don't quote me on that though).

You can then download any apps and games you want. Once you are happy with your selection, do another back up. If BB Link doesn't do the back up the try this: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ack-up-782675/

Once that's done, go ahead and sideload any apps you want. If you have Jelly bean on your one phone, you will probably see lag on the apps on the Z10 due to the runtime running on it, but otherwise, they should be fine. Not all will work though, so keep that in mind too. Then... you guessed it, do a back up!

After that, you can fiddle and play around with your phone all you want.

Sounds like a lot of work, but this is probably less time consumming than it sounds. Besides, you can still play around with your phone, just make sure to back it up a lot during the first few weeks until you are happy with the settings, etc. on it.

Hope this helps. Enjoy!
    austriker and shads77 like this.
    03-18-13 10:11 PM
    First thing I'd do is a "Happy Dance"!

Hope u enjoy the phone and all kidding aside the posts above are what id recommend also.

Posted via CB10 on my Z10 Oreo
    03-18-13 10:39 PM
    Thanks everyone! I'm coming from WP8 so the app gap isn't new to me but I've done my research. It is actually better since the apps that I do use are present with working side-loaded apps. I was just thinking that maybe downloading the .apk files on a gingerbread device, the same version as the runtime on BB10, would increase the success of side-loading compared to downloading the same app on jelly bean.

I'm a little apprehensive about BB Maps, the audio quality and the camera but we will see
    03-18-13 10:44 PM
    Just be patient with it. It is pretty snappy, so you might see some wonky behaviour in the first couple of days..
    When I first got my Z10 I had it couple of keyboard freezes, lock screen freezes and serious battery drain. But after a week or so and OS update on the 10th day.its smooth as "I Can't Believe it's Butter!" & I can go for 9-10 hrs of moderate use easily (LTE & full brightness).
    I also read the manuals/knowledge base/documentation/help topics from BBRY. I never read manuals..but it does help immensely. There are lots of tricks & tips.
    ..and yes follow the instructions for the battery charges & other tips posted above. It does help.
    03-18-13 10:50 PM
    keep in mind the battery is removable. so I would not (personally), worry about how it gets charged. if the battery eventually wears out you'll be able to buy one on crackberry for $20. in fact probably the first thing you shoule do is order a spare. I am.

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk 2
    03-18-13 10:50 PM
    Thanks everyone! I'm coming from WP8 so the app gap isn't new to me but I've done my research. It is actually better since the apps that I do use are present with working side-loaded apps. I was just thinking that maybe downloading the .apk files on a gingerbread device, the same version as the runtime on BB10, would increase the success of side-loading compared to downloading the same app on jelly bean.

I'm a little apprehensive about BB Maps, the audio quality and the camera but we will see
    After the OS/Maps App update, I gotta tell you Map is very snappy. Yes it lacks functionality compared to Nokia Maps, but it is a solid start.

My wife has an IPhone 4S with latest OS update..and she is a IPhone fangirl..and even she commented how good the pictues are.

Audio quality ..if you mean "call quality"..it is pretty impressive. If you mean speaker quality..yes it has room for improvement in my opinion.
    Last edited by shads77; 03-18-13 at 10:57 PM. Reason: added Maps App
    03-18-13 10:54 PM
    Get a good night sleep before your BlackBerry Z10 arrives in the morning. You'll become addicted and spend too much time reading CrackBerry after installing CB10.

Posted via CB10 from the BlackBerry Z10
    shads77 likes this.
    03-18-13 11:25 PM
    Here's a tip.. if you want to get any sleep or work done DO NOT download CB10.... I wish I had never tried it the first time. I just keep chasing that first thread feeling. Coming down off a good thread high is the worst. It takes willpower and mind control to stop you from pressing "Refresh". It's like the browser version on speed

I see your post count now without it. You have been warned

Posted via CB10
    03-18-13 11:58 PM
    Watch this video series linked below tonight. Welcome to an amazing operating system. You've going to love it. Remember, as the weeks go by, it gets better and better.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...00GRJ6C7ARqzVw

Posted via CB10
    03-19-13 12:01 AM