Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By bmercer94
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Z10 flip case draining battery...while off?

My Z10, which has been behaving well for the most part, seems to lose about 20% of it's battery charge after I've shut it down and left it closed in the flip (should call it "flap") case for the night. By "shut down", I mean the 3-2-1, really 'off', shut-down. Which is weird, because this morning, when I opened the flap to start, the screen was subtly backlight - as though it was in stand by, and not actually off (the phone lay, screen side down, on a table, unmoved for the night). As well, it needs the-hold-the-power-button for 10 seconds in order to start properly. I haven't any issues with charging, and my battery life is pretty good, compared to some user's experience.

None of this was happening before I used the flip/flap case. Was wondering if the magnet was confusing the phone, and turning it "half-on" during the night, causing battery drain.....anyone else experience this?
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    436 Global Posts

I've had the same problem but only when I shut the phone down while it's still in the the flip /flap case. I now take it out of the case when I charge it and it turns off fine. On another occasion when I was turning the phone off it froze on the carrier screen this happened with the case off.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

Thanks - glad it's not just me. Actually - I've had that turn off freeze too - took like 10 minutes to turn off once....
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    436 Global Posts

I didn't wait I panicked and did a battery pull! Have to say I like the case a lot and like the op says if there's a magnet in the case it might be causing the problem. Cheers

Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    467 Global Posts

Not seen the same problem on mine, It was powered down last night and left on the side.. the only thing I make sure is that its face down as the flap doesn't always sit flush and I wonder if that confuses it to turn on. I've noticed also if someone calls me when the phone is off, it sometimes ring and turns on again
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Z10 Away! - Feel free to thank or like any post* that has helped (or hindered)

*My postings & comments are my opinion alone, and are not representative of any other company or organisation.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  

Quote Originally Posted by MattUK View Post
    Not seen the same problem on mine, It was powered down last night and left on the side.. the only thing I make sure is that its face down as the flap doesn't always sit flush and I wonder if that confuses it to turn on. I've noticed also if someone calls me when the phone is off, it sometimes ring and turns on again
    I set mine face down for the same reason....battery still drained....and long restart next morning....
    CrackBerry User

I'm having the same issues with the battery and I also have the flip case... I think I'll leave it out tomorrow and see what happens.
    CrackBerry Genius

Turn off the wake up gestures from display setting

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by sportline View Post
    Turn off the wake up gestures from display setting

Posted via CB10
    This is very strange on my phone. I have the gesture thing turned off. If I hold my flip case away from the screen then I have to press the button at the top to wake up the phone but if I pull the flip case back over the screen, it wakes it up. I was thinking this shouldn't happen
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,033 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mischievousbimbo View Post
    This is very strange on my phone. I have the gesture thing turned off. If I hold my flip case away from the screen then I have to press the button at the top to wake up the phone but if I pull the flip case back over the screen, it wakes it up. I was thinking this shouldn't happen
    That's actually a BlackBerry thing, if you have owned previous BB and used a holster, you would have(probably) noticed that when you removed it from holster the screen was on, and perhaps the message you last received was on-screen. The flip case works the same, triggers the "Holstered" magnet turning the screen off, so when you flip it open the screen comes on, and goes off when you close the flip again.
    Device(s): Curve 9300>Bold 9700>Z10>Samsung Galaxy Note 2>Z10 #BlackBerryByChoice
    Tablet: BlackBerry Playbook 32GB
    HUNTZODIAC likes this.
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by bmercer94 View Post
    That's actually a BlackBerry thing, if you have owned previous BB and used a holster, you would have(probably) noticed that when you removed it from holster the screen was on, and perhaps the message you last received was on-screen. The flip case works the same, triggers the "Holstered" magnet turning the screen off, so when you flip it open the screen comes on, and goes off when you close the flip again.
    Thanks for the reply. I've never had a blackberry before so I'm learning everything about from here. So now if I follow you correctly, I don't have to worry the phone can dial up someplace as long as the flip case is closed.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by drum View Post
    I now take it out of the case when I charge it and it turns off fine.
    If you're using the the "flip-case", you would not be able to charge the phone with the "flip-lid" closed anyway. Might as well leave it in the case, with the lid open.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,033 Global Posts

Yep, the "Holstered" mode prevents any input. Even pushing the lock button will not do anything.

Posted via CB10
    Device(s): Curve 9300>Bold 9700>Z10>Samsung Galaxy Note 2>Z10 #BlackBerryByChoice
    Tablet: BlackBerry Playbook 32GB
    Thanked by:
    mischievousbimbo (02-26-2013)