Been switching between 9900 and Z10 for a while, but tired of a small screen so I am back to z10. The more I am using z10 the more I think is flawed. Software10.1.0.2312. STL100-2

Apart from some niggles on inefficiency of the new os10 and lack of trackpad as mentioned many times, I notice that whenever I switch to 3G the phone start to drains battery faster and acessing data network more often. Battery guru shown it often uses around 1-2 watt on 3G (even on standby) and the phone gets warm easily. The battery only last for few hours and need to be recharged twice a day.

I also notice that whenever I put more data on the sd card like photos and documents, the phone start to consume more power and access more data through 3G network. Why? It is unclear.

Some apps especially the ported ones are using more power and data and access internet as default (even on background) and no option to change its permission to local only.

When the wifi on and within a range, the power consumption reduce slowly to around 0.1 watt on standby. The best battery life is when the phone set to 2G, battery guru shows the phone use 0.01 watt on standby, BUT bbm, emails and other messaging don't get updated. It defeats the purpose of being a messaging phone. Often when assessing bbm or messaging no text shown

As much as I want to see BBRY to succeed, I simply cannot recommend this flawed phone to my friends and family. The only remaining reason for me to use BBRY is the BBM.

Will A10 fare better and make me happy with BBRY again?
    anon(4044683) likes this.
    07-18-13 01:10 PM
    All phones are flawed. The z10 has minor issues but is a great product overall.

Posted via CB10
    07-18-13 01:20 PM
    Try removing your SD card, there are a couple threads where some people have seen certain SD cards draining battery. Haven't nailed down the specifics of what is going with it but it appears to possibly be quality of SD card (my assumption) that may be causing it. There is also a possible correlation to size, but some people are running up to 64 gig with no added drain, others see similar drain to what you are reporting.
    BoldBigWorm likes this.
    07-18-13 01:25 PM
    I don't think the Z10 is flawed. I am not experiencing the drain and power issues you are having. I am either on wifi or on 4g.

With this touchscreen, who needs a track pad? Part of your struggle is you keep jumping back and forth between devices. It will help you to commit to the Z10 and as the more you use it, and become familiar with its gestures and shortcuts, the less you will miss the track pad.

I am wandering if switching back and forth may be affecting how your Z10 is indexing information. Try just using the Z10 for a week. See if your power usage settles down.

Posted via CB10 via my Z10
    Last edited by newcollector; 07-19-13 at 11:50 AM.
    07-18-13 01:26 PM
    Wow. What a difference a phone makes. I bought my two Z's from Wally-World of all places. One White and the other Darth Vader black. We use them more than we use our laptops. Fast internet connection, social media, movies through HDMI, snaps, movie making and more. Neither of us experience any battery drain issues. Both are with Verizon (waiting for and update), but neither of us have had any reboots or any problems at all.

Z10 is NOT A FLAWED PRODUCT in our opinions!

Go BB!
    ssinghb, cman5, serbanescu and 2 others like this.
    07-18-13 01:30 PM
    Machina Perfectus
    Pulkit Kamal likes this.
    07-18-13 01:31 PM
    Wow if there is anything in the world that doesn't have a flaw, I'd love to own it.

Posted via CB10
    pgg101, ssinghb, mopar_fxr and 3 others like this.
    07-18-13 01:31 PM
    Been switching between 9900 and Z10 for a while, but tired of a small screen so I am back to z10. The more I am using z10 the more I think is flawed. Software10.1.0.2312. STL100-2

Apart from some niggles on inefficiency of the new os10 and lack of trackpad as mentioned many times, I notice that whenever I switch to 3G the phone start to drains battery faster and acessing data network more often. Battery guru shown it often uses around 1-2 watt on 3G (even on standby) and the phone gets warm easily. The battery only last for few hours and need to be recharged twice a day.

I also notice that whenever I put more data on the sd card like photos and documents, the phone start to consume more power and access more data through 3G network. Why? It is unclear.

Some apps especially the ported ones are using more power and data and access internet as default (even on background) and no option to change its permission to local only.

When the wifi on and within a range, the power consumption reduce slowly to around 0.1 watt on standby. The best battery life is when the phone set to 2G, battery guru shows the phone use 0.01 watt on standby, BUT bbm, emails and other messaging don't get updated. It defeats the purpose of being a messaging phone. Often when assessing bbm or messaging no text shown

As much as I want to see BBRY to succeed, I simply cannot recommend this flawed phone to my friends and family. The only remaining reason for me to use BBRY is the BBM.

Love the Z. Works for me, I am on the road a lot and yes, there were initial "birthing" issues it helps me get the job done!! and that is what counts. I dont need a toy, I need a business tool and the BB is definitely one.
    So, if there is another phone that works better for you - go get it!!

STL100-4 v10.1.4633 <-- on the way to upgrade to 4651
    07-18-13 01:43 PM
    Love the Z. Works for me, I am on the road a lot and yes, there were initial "birthing" issues it helps me get the job done!! and that is what counts. I dont need a toy, I need a business tool and the BB is definitely one.
    So, if there is another phone that works better for you - go get it!!

STL100-4 v10.1.4633 <-- on the way to upgrade to 4651
    If you think it's flawed, maybe you should try a crap phone or a droid!

Posted via CB10
    07-18-13 01:49 PM
    Thank you for the replies and suggestions.

No problem of freeze and auto reboot especially on last software update, but whenever it starts to drain battery faster then I will reboot manually. The initial reboot will drain battery faster as it synchonizing with so many servers.

I really want to make this phone works for me too. I have been using z10 as my main phone for many weeks now, and updated to the latest software whenever available. My 9900 is on the side as my business line. I have no problem adapting to gesture and os10 functions. Compare to ios the bb multi tasking is better. I personally find bbos panels and trackpad more efficiently for work.

My 32gb sandisk is fine whenever no new data inside, no increase data usage or battery drain. Only when more data put into sd then there is an increase of battery drain on 3G. I am not sure if anyone notice the same..

I understand that all has flaws but some are major and some are minor. I find z10 is rather major though.
    ima5exypaki likes this.
    07-18-13 01:57 PM
    If you think it's flawed, maybe you should try a crap phone or a droid!

Posted via CB10
    Now why would I want to do that??? ROFL, did you intend to reply to OP?
    07-18-13 01:59 PM
    The Z is not flawed, OP. The Z was just released a little too early. If 10.2 was the release OS, most of what you complain about would not even have been a factor. Just hang in there: believe me, they are just as anxious to roll out a smooth product- and they will.
    islandp, Carterbits and potatoguy like this.
    07-18-13 02:04 PM
    It is a great phone with the most beautiful OS on the market.

--------------------

Calorie Monitor Pro for Z10, Q10, Q5 and PlayBook
    07-18-13 02:16 PM
    Not sure what your issue is? None of the flaws you are claiming exist on my Z10. I've got 4g service with Rogers and it's very fast. I've had my Z10 since Feb 2012 and it just keeps getting better. I did have a few navigation struggles in the first two weeks but it was probably because I was too lazy to spend a couple of minutes going over the tutorials. I like the trial and error method. For some reason I found the battery life shortest in the first week I had it but even then I was getting a full busy day on one charge. After the updates I am now getting almost 2 full days of use on one charge but I always kick it into sleep mode before putting it down. There are so many strange things in your comments that are contrary to my own experience with the Z10 that I am left wondering if you are a Forbes/BGR troll. Are you an undercover troll or a genuine Crackberry?
    filmansantiago likes this.
    07-18-13 02:19 PM
    OP....thanks for sharing your thoughts however there isn't a single device out there that doesn't have its flaws.

Which platform or phone doesn't issue updates? Not one.

Making a recommendation on the basis of no flaws is going to be impossible. It's really choosing which device and it's nuances can u live with. Even with it's "flaws", the z10 is still pretty darn good at just 6 months old. Not bad I say. But that's not to say it doesn't have its opportunities for improvements...just like everyone else.
    07-18-13 02:30 PM

Apart from some niggles....

Racist post reported!
    07-18-13 02:32 PM
    OP - there is a flaw somewhere, whether it is hardware or software I don't care. I am experiencing the same issue off and on for 5 months. The only thing that has worked, but unfortunately it appears to be a temporary fix, is a security wipe. I go from 4-6 hours to 24-36 after a wipe but it lasts for a week or so. Eventually the phone gets into some vicious cycle until it depletes itself entirely.

I agree that the problem is a major one for those that have it. You can't call the Z10 a wireless phone when it is connected to a power supply all the time.

If your car is getting 1/4 the gas mileage that the manufacturer claims and other owners say bull**** , inflating your tires, or coasting into stops, turning off the air conditioning isn't going to do enough make up the difference. Let the dealers and the manufacturer figure it out. Eventually, if enough of us bring it to their attention they will have come up with a solution.

My daughter's doesn't have the problem but mine does. She has the same set up including the same carrier, SD card etc. It just adds evidence that there is a problem with mine.

Mine is on its way to Blackberry so lets see what they say.
    islandp likes this.
    07-18-13 02:33 PM
    I have not ever had a phone as flawed as my Galaxy S3: buggy, glitchy and slow. Takes ages to load the call app, the e-mail app freezes more often than desired, loses signal every now and again and does not recover it until I restart it as other android phones do, the battery is a joke on optimised normal use, and on and on. All this with the latest official android whatever-sweet-you-want-to-call-it version.
    Regarding the battery: everybody criticizes the Z10 because the battery does not last a day when you see every single iphone and android user (including myself) plugging their phone wherever they find a socket, but nobody seems to be bothered about that.
    Double standards are used all over when you talk about BB.
    07-18-13 02:35 PM
    Mine is fine, no problems at all.

Posted via CB10
    07-18-13 02:37 PM
    No the Z10 is not flawed, but this thread is.
    07-18-13 02:38 PM

Judging by the leaks from Kris etc I think a lot of your concerns will be addressed in 10.2 and just improve from there. It's a new OS, the software engineers need to get more comfortable with the OS and tweak and add features. Based on the incremental improvements to date I'm sure it's going to just get better.
    07-18-13 02:41 PM
    This definitely sounds like an issue that is specific to your device, meaning your HARDWARE, and most likely will qualify it for a warranty replacement.

The Z10 does have its flaws but what you're describing is not normal behavior.

Posted via CB10 on my AWESOME VZW STL100-4 Z10!
    dbollman423 likes this.
    07-18-13 02:44 PM
    Did you format the SD card in that device or pop it over from your 9900? You might have better results if you migrate the data off of the card, then format it in the Z10, then migrate the data back.
    OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
    07-18-13 03:20 PM
    Sometimes it's the USER when it has so called "Major" flaws and sometimes it's not. Everything has flaws...some simply learn to deal with and overcome those minor flaws. For me, The Z10 has some minor flaws which are being addressed and updated since I got it on launch day and it has improved greatly. I would be the first to say "my Z10" hasn't been a flawed product but a great learning experience on a brand new platform. It's exciting to see all the new stuff coming in since first getting my hands on it.
    bob_tn likes this.
    07-18-13 03:28 PM
    Maybe yours is flawed. Mines all good

Posted via CB10
    anon(4275744) likes this.
    07-18-13 03:48 PM
89 123 ...