I am new to BB, and let me tell ya, I'm about ready to throw this thing at the wall and go back to Apple. I'm hoping someone here can help me because I don't want to be a slave to Apple for the rest of my life!

My Z10 works great, network-wise, when I'm away from home. But when I'm home, it constantly drops my home wifi network and switches to 4G- this happens all day, all night, all the time- back and forth, back and forth. Sometimes it's for long periods of time, sometimes just a few seconds. I'm always getting a message about limited connectivity (going to try to attach that pic to this post) , and yet I have my old iPhone right next to me and I can use it on my wifi with NO PROBLEMS. I suspected it could be my ISP, I called them and refreshed the signal, disconnected and reconnected the modem and router, and ALL my other devices (Roku, iphone, laptop, printer, kindle) work FLAWLESSLY on the network. The Z10 is the ONLY device giving me trouble. Even when I have no other devices connected via the router, i have this problem.

Does anyone know WHY this is happening, or more importantly, HOW to fix this?!?! Please, i don't want to go running back to Apple!! I just want the BlackBerry to work AS WELL as my old iPhone did! I don't think that's too much to ask!
    Z10 dropping home wifi connection-img_00000124.png

Posted via CB10
    08-19-13 08:52 PM
    Does the same for me too but mine is a bit different. I have two routers at home and it can only connect to the one that is the farthest one in the house which is weird.

Posted via CB10
    08-19-13 08:55 PM
    I am new to BB, and let me tell ya, I'm about ready to throw this thing at the wall and go back to Apple. I'm hoping someone here can help me because I don't want to be a slave to Apple for the rest of my life!

My Z10 works great, network-wise, when I'm away from home. But when I'm home, it constantly drops my home wifi network and switches to 4G- this happens all day, all night, all the time- back and forth, back and forth. Sometimes it's for long periods of time, sometimes just a few seconds. I'm always getting a message about limited connectivity (going to try to attach that pic to this post) , and yet I have my old iPhone right next to me and I can use it on my wifi with NO PROBLEMS. I suspected it could be my ISP, I called them and refreshed the signal, disconnected and reconnected the modem and router, and ALL my other devices (Roku, iphone, laptop, printer, kindle) work FLAWLESSLY on the network. The Z10 is the ONLY device giving me trouble. Even when I have no other devices connected via the router, i have this problem.

Does anyone know WHY this is happening, or more importantly, HOW to fix this?!?! Please, i don't want to go running back to Apple!! I just want the BlackBerry to work AS WELL as my old iPhone did! I don't think that's too much to ask!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_00000124.png 
Views:	1678 
Size:	81.7 KB 
ID:	194049

Posted via CB10

Try searching the forums. There are numerous threads on this are with a variety of solutions depending on your situation.
    08-21-13 12:45 PM
    You might want to connect your pc to the router and change the channel the router broadcasts,
    Since I changed the channel on the router I have no more disconnections and the phone picks up the connection right away.

Posted via CB10
    08-21-13 01:57 PM
    OK, my experience has usually been that when this happens, especially on an OS10 device (where I have found the WiFi to be quite robust for me, actually), it is USUALLY a problem on the home network, not the device.

What would help me here:

1) What kind of internet connectivity are we talking about here? Cable Modem via cable TV provider, high speed phone connection, what?

2) When this happens, are you noticing any other computers/devices on your network dropping connection as well (this can happen, but be MUCH more transparent to YOU if you are on a computer and connected to your router. Won't be as obvious... remember, the phone sqwaks the SECOND it detects reduced connectivity.

The next time this happens, try this and let me know what you see:

Settings-->Networks-->Wifi-->Advanced-->Diagnostic Information-->Internet Connection

Within this screen, you have the ability to ping an IP address. Next time you get this notification, ping 8.8.8.8 (google), see how many packets get thru, get lost, etc. Let me know what you see.

3) Have you configured your router to assign a static ip address for your device? Shouldn't matter, but a good practice.

4) If you are using a cable modem, is the incoming coax routed thru a splitter prior to hitting your modem? Be surprised how many splitters can cause loads of problems and destroy a signal. IF you have a cheap Radio Shack spiltter within 20 miles of your home, bite the bullet and go buy a GOOD splitter. In a previous life I did a lot of amateur radio stuff. Splitters are usually the bigest sources of head-aches for signal problems.

5) Are you running the latest firmware on your router? If no, update it.

6) what brand of router (I have had terrible times with one brand of router, and switching to a different router made ALL wierdness go away, all other things being equal)?

Help us a little bit to help you here. I think this is fixable... my money, right now, would NOT be on the device as the culprit (though I've been wrong many time in the past). The channel suggestion above is a good one. But I would look at the basics first.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    08-21-13 02:11 PM
    Thank you so much for responding, everyone. To the most recent poster, I will do all of that tomorrow after work and get the answers for you. Today, I spent a load of time "reserving" an IP address from my router and making sure the MAC address for the BlackBerry was correct in the router configuration. I thought this might have fixed the problem, until just now when I went to use it and noticed it was back on 4G again. HOWEVER, this could be because at this moment I am in the back bedroom of my house, and I have really weak signal back here (that was even a problem with my iphone). Also, I had a problem with youtube earlier (see pic) that may or may not be related to this same issue.

Anyway, I guess what I'm saying is I "may" have fixed the issue, but I've got to give it some time to see if it drops it. After I did the fixes above, I didn't seem to have any connectivity issues, so I have high (but guarded) hopes. And I say I spent a load of time on it because I am not savvy at all this stuff so it's a very laborious process for me to work through it. And that is my chief complaint with BlackBerry so far - I feel like you have to be a tech whiz just to get it to work AS good as an iPhone works right out of the box. (example, when I had the youtube error you see below, I literally just picked up my old iPhone and went to the youtube app and played the video with absolutely no problem or delay whatsoever) Maybe I'm not cut out to be a BlackBerry owner...apparently I need an *****-proof phone.

I can answer some of the questions- it's a cable Internet signal (comcast), it IS on a splitter, but I just recently got TV services (like two weeks ago), and prior to that I wasn't using a splitter and i had the same problems. I use a wireless router, it's a D-Link, I'll need to check the model number but I'm almost 100% sure off the top of my head it's in the 4500 series (it's some kind of gaming router that my ex husband left me). My brother (who convinced me to switch to BlackBerry) is coming next weekend and bringing another router for me to try if i can't make this work with the one i have.

As for all that other info, I will gather it tomorrow and post it then. Again, thanks so much, I really would like to get this fixed because there are a lot of things about this phone I like.
    Z10 dropping home wifi connection-img_00000128.png

Posted via CB10
    08-21-13 09:28 PM
    Also, I will try changing the channel on the router tomorrow and report back on whether or not that changes anything. Thanks, y'all!

Posted via CB10
    08-21-13 09:31 PM
    Wow, it seriously bleeped out the word I.D.I.O.T.!?

Posted via CB10
    08-21-13 09:33 PM
    No worries. We are all here to help.

I just had the identical problem you are describing. I mean like this past Tuesday.

Turned out it was a wonky cable modem coupled to a bad splitter. Replaced both, and all is well.

Hmmmm. D-link. Had a d-link router some years ago. It NEVER worked and played well with my bold 9780. Got fed up and purchased a cisco router, and all weirdness "ceased to exist" since.

Now, if that is a comcast supplied router, I would turn it into a football sooner rather than later, and invest in a higher end wireless router.

Sorry about the rocky road here initially...let's look at it as part off the charm of the device. :-0

It'll all get worked out for sure.

Posted via CB10
    08-21-13 09:47 PM
    I suggest using Buffalo routers that come with ddrt installed. That said, I've had good luck with D-link gear.

Assigning a static IP for the z10 sounds like a waste of time to me. There should be no dhcp issue, and I'd there is, I would try to solve it.

Personally, this sounds like a reception problem. A potential issue may be a second router with the same SSID.

The z10 wifi is an order of magnitude better than the iPhone. They even sell hacked antennas to attach to the iphone to in theory help the wifi.

What I would do is run kismet and analyze your environment. But that is beyond a lot of people's skill sets. It may find a stealth wifi router. (No ssid broadcast.) But changing the channel is one way to most likely get around interference problems. Note that some routers pick the channel automatically.

Lastly, there are other sources of interference such as analog video that do not show up in site surveys.

Posted via CB10
    08-22-13 03:59 AM
    Thank you so much for responding, everyone. To the most recent poster, I will do all of that tomorrow after work and get the answers for you. Today, I spent a load of time "reserving" an IP address from my router and making sure the MAC address for the BlackBerry was correct in the router configuration. I thought this might have fixed the problem, until just now when I went to use it and noticed it was back on 4G again. HOWEVER, this could be because at this moment I am in the back bedroom of my house, and I have really weak signal back here (that was even a problem with my iphone). Also, I had a problem with youtube earlier (see pic) that may or may not be related to this same issue.

Anyway, I guess what I'm saying is I "may" have fixed the issue, but I've got to give it some time to see if it drops it. After I did the fixes above, I didn't seem to have any connectivity issues, so I have high (but guarded) hopes. And I say I spent a load of time on it because I am not savvy at all this stuff so it's a very laborious process for me to work through it. And that is my chief complaint with BlackBerry so far - I feel like you have to be a tech whiz just to get it to work AS good as an iPhone works right out of the box. (example, when I had the youtube error you see below, I literally just picked up my old iPhone and went to the youtube app and played the video with absolutely no problem or delay whatsoever) Maybe I'm not cut out to be a BlackBerry owner...apparently I need an *****-proof phone.

I can answer some of the questions- it's a cable Internet signal (comcast), it IS on a splitter, but I just recently got TV services (like two weeks ago), and prior to that I wasn't using a splitter and i had the same problems. I use a wireless router, it's a D-Link, I'll need to check the model number but I'm almost 100% sure off the top of my head it's in the 4500 series (it's some kind of gaming router that my ex husband left me). My brother (who convinced me to switch to BlackBerry) is coming next weekend and bringing another router for me to try if i can't make this work with the one i have.

As for all that other info, I will gather it tomorrow and post it then. Again, thanks so much, I really would like to get this fixed because there are a lot of things about this phone I like.

Name:	IMG_00000128.png 
Views:	964 
Size:	138.6 KB 
ID:	194564

Posted via CB10
    Sara, I had the same issue. Pulled Older Linksys router. Installed new EA4500 series Linksys router. Presto! No more droppin. BTW we have 9 darn splitters, hate em but need em, 3 tv's, etc...

Rockin' 10.2.0.1323... 810 Runtime
    08-22-13 04:42 AM
    I have this all the time at work. Where is a completely new WiFi system since a couple of months now. Brand new routers, cables and everything and it wasn't the cheap stuff. (people do have to 'agree to the terms' but only for the first time, it remembers your phone/laptop after that) and I always get the message that the connection is limited. And I'm the only one so I can only say it's my BlackBerry causing this. I work in a hotel and had no complaints from hotel guests either, the connection is good. It's really my Z10.

Posted via CB10 on my Z10
    08-22-13 05:09 AM

Name:	IMG_00000124.png 
Views:	1678 
Size:	81.7 KB 
ID:	194049

Posted via CB10
    I had the exact same problem as yours before. Believe me it's just the router/wifi compatibility issue.

My phone always get wifi drop when connecting to my D-link, but tried connecting to my old Aztech the wifi could stay all day long.

What I did on my D-link to fix this was I had to tweak the wlan interface until I get the stability. That includes:

- use the right channel (the one that gives the best signal and highest connection speed)

- if your router is single band, set your Z10 wifi to use 2.4GHz only. I don't have a dual band router so I couldn't say for that.

- if your router has the option to select Channel width, set it to 20MHz only or 40MHz only, whichever gives the best signal strength.

- channel number 6 or 11 (whichever is the best)

I also set my wifi encryption to WPA2(AES), although that didn't really fix my problem at first.

Posted via CB10
    08-22-13 08:00 AM
    I have this all the time at work. Where is a completely new WiFi system since a couple of months now. Brand new routers, cables and everything and it wasn't the cheap stuff. (people do have to 'agree to the terms' but only for the first time, it remembers your phone/laptop after that) and I always get the message that the connection is limited. And I'm the only one so I can only say it's my BlackBerry causing this. I work in a hotel and had no complaints from hotel guests either, the connection is good. It's really my Z10.

Exactly what I have done in my house...every possible thing changed....only my Z10 has connection failures....wtf
    08-22-13 01:35 PM
    I had the exact same problem as yours before. Believe me it's just the router/wifi compatibility issue.

My phone always get wifi drop when connecting to my D-link, but tried connecting to my old Aztech the wifi could stay all day long.

What I did on my D-link to fix this was I had to tweak the wlan interface until I get the stability. That includes:

- use the right channel (the one that gives the best signal and highest connection speed)

- if your router is single band, set your Z10 wifi to use 2.4GHz only. I don't have a dual band router so I couldn't say for that.

- if your router has the option to select Channel width, set it to 20MHz only or 40MHz only, whichever gives the best signal strength.

I also set my wifi encryption to WPA2(AES), although that didn't really fix my problem at first.

Posted via CB10
    Interesting you had D-Link problems as well with BBs. Once I got a Cisco router, my router has become a total afterthought.

I just didn't have the knowledge, time and where-with-all at that time to make the D-Link work. I figured a new $119 router was worth more than the aggravation of spending countless days and nights to fix something that should work already.

At the end of the day, I guess there is a possibility that the device is, indeed, faulty wrt WiFi. Always a possibility. All I can say is the WiFi on my Z10 has been more robust than with previous BB devices, which tended to be quite robust as well, once I moved away from my (ISP Provided) D-Link router.

Just my experience.
    08-22-13 02:01 PM
    Exactly what I have done in my house...every possible thing changed....only my Z10 has connection failures....wtf
    And people are ignoring out story here..

08-22-13 06:02 PM
    WOW, there is so much to reply to I don't even know where to start.

I really do suspect it's the device because, as I have said, all other devices (including my iPhone 4S) work FLAWLESSLY.

Since doing the whole "static IP" thing yesterday afternoon, the only trouble I have had was when I was out of the range of the wireless network, so I am hesitant to change anything quite yet. I don't want to mess it up further if it's working. Unfortunately, right now I'm in the middle of a huge thunderstorm and I keep losing power, so I can't really tell if it's working today or not because it drops it every time the power goes out (which I totally understand and I'm not mad at the Z10 for that!)

In the meantime, though, I will try to answer the questions that were asked in case anyone has any other ideas for fixes. Also, to everyone that left ideas without asking anything, THANKS, I'm bookmarking this thread and I will try EVERYTHING suggested that I can until I figure this out.

------------
    To some of the questions asked:

1) What kind of internet connectivity are we talking about here? Cable Modem via cable TV provider, high speed phone connection, what?
    cable, comcast specifically

2) When this happens, are you noticing any other computers/devices on your network dropping connection as well (this can happen, but be MUCH more transparent to YOU if you are on a computer and connected to your router. Won't be as obvious... remember, the phone sqwaks the SECOND it detects reduced connectivity.
    I do not notice any other devices dropping the signal, but as you say, I might not notice them since the phone makes a fuss everytime it drops it. However, I can be streaming something on the Roku player and it doesn't have a lag or buffer or anything, even though the phone is acting up. Also, when this happens, it's typically not just a split second and then it grabs the wifi again. It switches to 4G and usually stays there, like it just gives up on trying to get on the wifi. Sometimes I can go into the wifi settings (which are still enabled- I know some people have had the problem of the wifi disabling itself, but that is NOT the case here) and reconnect manually, sometimes it seems like NOTHING will fix it and I just give up and pick up my old iPhone and go about my business so I don't use all my data.

The next time this happens, try this and let me know what you see:

Settings-->Networks-->Wifi-->Advanced-->Diagnostic Information-->Internet Connection

Within this screen, you have the ability to ping an IP address. Next time you get this notification, ping 8.8.8.8 (google), see how many packets get thru, get lost, etc. Let me know what you see.
    If it happens again (i.e., if the static IP didn't work), I will do this and report back.

3) Have you configured your router to assign a static ip address for your device? Shouldn't matter, but a good practice.
    Yes, I did that yesterday and it seems like it *might* be working.

4) If you are using a cable modem, is the incoming coax routed thru a splitter prior to hitting your modem? Be surprised how many splitters can cause loads of problems and destroy a signal. IF you have a cheap Radio Shack spiltter within 20 miles of your home, bite the bullet and go buy a GOOD splitter. In a previous life I did a lot of amateur radio stuff. Splitters are usually the bigest sources of head-aches for signal problems.
    Yes, I'm using a splitter, but as I noted in my previous post, it was doing this before I had the splitter, too. I will definitely keep this in mind, though, if I continue to have the problem, as a potential fix.

5) Are you running the latest firmware on your router? If no, update it.
    I have no idea what this means, so my guess is NO! I will google firmware for my router and see about updating it (if the static IP doesnt work)

6) what brand of router (I have had terrible times with one brand of router, and switching to a different router made ALL wierdness go away, all other things being equal)?
    It's a D-Link DGL-4500. My brother is also bringing me another router (not sure what kind) to experiment with next weekend.
    --------------
    My modem is NOT comcast-supplied, but it is a lower-end model. It's a NetGear CMD31T, just got it a couple of weeks ago, too. But, like I said, it's working fine with all my other devices.

Someone mentioned the potential of another router with the same SSID, but I don't think that's it- my SSID is unique, my ex set it up so it's not like a generic name or anything. (I may be misunderstanding the comment...)

I have no idea what is meant by running kismet...!!

When I look at the router page, the check box next to "enable auto channel scan" is checked- should I uncheck it?

Someone else said:

How do I determine which is the best signal/highest connection speed? Do I just look at the little bars on the phone and see whichever channel gives me the most bars?? (Showing my ignorance here)

I don't know if the router is dual or single band. When I look at the page, there is a radial button next to 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz, and you have to choose one or the other, so I assume that means it's single band? I went ahead and changed the wifi settings on the phone to 2.4GHz only since that is the box that is checked in the router configuration.

It looks like I have an option for 20 MHz or 20/40 MHz. There doesn't seem to be a choice for 40 MHz only. Right now it is set on 20. How can I tell if the signal strength is better if I switch it to the 20/40 (or are you saying don't switch it to 20/40?)

Right now it's on auto channel scan and it shows it's on channel 6. Again, how do I determine which is "best"? Just trial and error or is there some way to test?

Mine is "WPA/WPA2 Personal", "cipher type" TKIP and AES

WHEW! I think that covered everything mentioned. Like kimoi, I suspect that this is device-related, since everything else in my house works great. I worry what it will be like when I try to access wifi networks in public places like Starbucks or when I travel for work at hotels. I have a work trip coming up in two weeks or so, so I guess I will be able to test that aspect of it then.

Thanks again to everyone that has responded, I appreciate it SO MUCH. I am going to wait out this thunderstorm and continue to monitor the issue, and I'm willing to try most every fix listed here (although it kind of annoys me that I would have to buy a new "better" router when I just shelled out more than $300 for the phone itself. I feel like for the amount I paid for this dang thing, it should just WORK without me having to buy additional equipment!)
    08-22-13 06:24 PM
    And people are ignoring out story here..

I hear you, and I suspect the device itself, too. I am eligible for an upgrade via Verizon in January, and by then I will have traveled and tried the Z10 on public wifi networks, plus all these other fixes people are suggesting including a different router. If none of this works, I will likely sell the Z10 on ebay and get an iPhone 5 through Verizon. I hate to be a "sheep" but I just don't think this needs to be this difficult!! In the meantime, I'm trying these other things to see if I can "make it work" since my iPhone 4S was freezing up on me every so often, which is what prompted me to even try a new phone before my upgrade date anyway. Are you going to stick with your Z10 despite this issue?
    08-22-13 06:28 PM
    Kismet

When the problem is location dependent, it usually is something at that location! The Z10 wifi works fine every place I've used it. Using kismet is a scientific way of doing a site survey. It is 100% passive, well unless you are WEP cracking, and I comment out that in the set up.

Don't you have any hacker friends? Perhaps somebody you noticed with a Guy Fawkes mask in his house? ;-)

Note that the Z10 engineering screen has some wifi diagnostics. You could call your carrier and they would, once you find the right person, tell you how to use the diagnostics. I fired up the engineering screen since I have the app to enable it, but the diagnostics don't look obvious to me.
    08-23-13 01:05 AM
    Z10 Wi-Fi Connection - BlackBerry Support Community Forums

The official blackberry forum has a similar thread.
    08-23-13 01:06 AM
    I did a bit more poking around. There really isn't a decent wifi site survey app on the Z10. However, most routers have a site survey. You may see a conflict there.

I have 3 sites on my channel, but they are all distant. I get a 65mbps hook up to the Z10.

I have noticed a few times that when I park near a local starbuck, I get connected to their wifi from about 300ft. The Z10, at least the GSM version, has good wifi. At least as good as the older blackberries I have owned. I've been know to make the occasional wifi call or two on open wifi when in areas with no cellular reception. I am so far away, they would never notice me.
    08-23-13 01:31 AM
    I hear you, and I suspect the device itself, too. I am eligible for an upgrade via Verizon in January, and by then I will have traveled and tried the Z10 on public wifi networks, plus all these other fixes people are suggesting including a different router. If none of this works, I will likely sell the Z10 on ebay and get an iPhone 5 through Verizon. I hate to be a "sheep" but I just don't think this needs to be this difficult!! In the meantime, I'm trying these other things to see if I can "make it work" since my iPhone 4S was freezing up on me every so often, which is what prompted me to even try a new phone before my upgrade date anyway. Are you going to stick with your Z10 despite this issue?
    Yes, because despite this issue and some others, I still can't imagine having to work an iPhone or Android device. Those systems just don't fit me, I don't like them. Luckily I don't have to access my phone much at work, just for private communication in my break. At home, everything's fine. I love BlackBerry but I do hope for a solution soon for specifically the WiFi problem.

08-23-13 03:59 AM
    Interesting you had D-Link problems as well with BBs. Once I got a Cisco router, my router has become a total afterthought.

I just didn't have the knowledge, time and where-with-all at that time to make the D-Link work. I figured a new $119 router was worth more than the aggravation of spending countless days and nights to fix something that should work already.

At the end of the day, I guess there is a possibility that the device is, indeed, faulty wrt WiFi. Always a possibility. All I can say is the WiFi on my Z10 has been more robust than with previous BB devices, which tended to be quite robust as well, once I moved away from my (ISP Provided) D-Link router.

Just my experience.
    LOL my D-Link is also ISP provided

Posted via CB10
    08-23-13 06:24 AM
    Yes, I have followed the directions for this and so far, it seems OK. I now have it assigned to a static "non-169.x" IP address. I did that Wednesday and I didn't notice it dropping that evening or Thursday evening. I am continuing to monitor it since yesterday we had a quite a few thunderstorms and I couldn't be sure that any problems I may have encountered were not related to that.

Z10 Wi-Fi Connection - BlackBerry Support Community Forums

The official blackberry forum has a similar thread.
    08-23-13 08:36 AM
    I think I'm more willing to go to Apple because that was my first-ever smartphone. I've considered making a pro/con list (and I have read threads like that on this site), but I almost don't want to do it because I think at this point, with all the trouble I have had with the Z10, that Apple may come out on top! I'm trying to be patient...I think once the Z10 works like it *should*, I will be happy that I switched to BB.

Yes, because despite this issue and some others, I still can't imagine having to work an iPhone or Android device. Those systems just don't fit me, I don't like them. Luckily I don't have to access my phone much at work, just for private communication in my break. At home, everything's fine. I love BlackBerry but I do hope for a solution soon for specifically the WiFi problem.

08-23-13 08:38 AM
77 123 ...