- CrackBerry User
- 63 Posts
Z10 Do reviewers even know how to use the phone?
I'm super excited for the Z10, so I've been reading pretty much every review of the device that I can get my hands on. And after reading some of the things that reviewers complained about, I'm wondering if they're just not using it properly, and misleading their readers into thinking the phone has bugs.
So this post is for the folks from CrackBerry or those of you lucky enough to live in Britain and own a Z10. Can you tell me whether these "software problems" really exist.
1) I noticed this complaint in a couple of reviews "the apps take up the full screen, and there is no room left for a status bar...That leaves more space for the app, but it's not a good trade off because you can't see your battery level or connectivity without backing out of the app" (I'm paraphrasing). I can totally agree with this complaint if it is legitimate (one of my pet peeves with the PlayBook is that you can't see the time from the password lock screen)... But as a PlayBook user for two years I have to ask: is the swipe-diagonally-down-from-the-top-corner motion enabled so that you can peek at the status bar? If so, I'm not sure the complaint is really fair. It strikes me that you get the best of both worlds: more screen real estate for apps, and the status bar a swipe away any time I need it...
2) I also heard this one twice, I think from CNET and the Verge: "You cannot drag calendar appointments to reschedule them". Again I find it weird that this feature would be missing, and since the app looks pretty much identical to the playbook calendar, I'm wondering if the reviewers just aren't familiar with the blackberry touchscreen lexicon. On the playbook you have to tap and hold a calendar appointment, and then drag it to reschedule. Can someone with a Z10 tell me if this is how it works on BB10 as well, or if this function is really missing.
3) I also read in a couple of reviews that there is no way of seeing a detailed percentage of how much battery life is left on the phone. This one I believe, but would find it a shame. I was really hoping that the Playbook's battery indicator and screen-brightness slider would be brought over to the phones.
So how about it: can anyone with a Z10 solve the mystery on these features? Has anyone else out there seen a complaint in the reviews that just screams "user error!l???
- CrackBerry Genius
02-01-2013, 08:59 PM #3
- 4,459 Posts
ok, so here goes;
1) yes and no. you dont get the playbook gesture, simply because BB10 has slightly different gestures for peek. however in the same breath, the upward motion of minimising an app to peek at the hub can be used in the exact same fashion, i.e slide finger up and back down much like in and out from top right on playbook. personally i think they are making a bigger deal than needed out of it, but if thats where they need to go for bad things, thats probably a half decent thing lol.
2) you cant, they are correct.
3) well that shows the `thoroughness` of a review these days. settings> about> hardware. it gives it you in 5% increments. its probably also worth pointing out that there is an app for that too lol
- 02-01-2013, 09:26 PM #6
Here's the thing ...... In time Crackberry.com will be filled with tips/tricks/help on the Z10 / Q10 , just as it has been for every other Blackberry phone. The myths, rumours and yes perhaps outright fibs will all be flushed out. Those same reviewers that may have been lazy and yes perhaps even deceitful will be called out, if for no other reason than the REAL info will be at Crackberry.com
Patience grasshopper, we are still at the infancy of flushing out all the details etc of Z10 / Q10 , I'm sure we will see detailed in depth analysis of every last nook and cranny soon enough from Team Crackberry.Negative thinking destroys your brain cells and causes global warming.*- Dodinsky (The Scientific Institute of Get Over It!) Action Spots
- CrackBerry User
- 63 Posts
Thanks for the responses. Nothing against the reviewers, I get that they only get a week with the device, and that this is pretty much a brand new gesture vocabulary for them, so they are not going to catch everything. I was more interested in knowing if some of these gestures are available on the Z10. The swipe-down-diagonally gesture and the battery pop-up I find particularly useful, and I will miss them.
I also wish that reviewers were a little less categorical in saying a phone "can't" do things, if they are not sure. I'd much rather hear "if there is a way to do this, I haven't been able to find it..."
- By gdanonym in forum BlackBerry Q10Replies: 20Last Post: 12-26-2012, 01:01 AM
- By popeye in forum BlackBerry Torch 9860/9850Replies: 5Last Post: 04-29-2012, 10:29 PM
- By jetstreamblue in forum BlackBerry PlayBookReplies: 15Last Post: 07-07-2011, 06:36 PM
- By louispc in forum Storm OS DiscussionReplies: 0Last Post: 03-13-2009, 12:50 AM
- By mrs.d in forum Mac UsersReplies: 2Last Post: 01-02-2008, 03:19 PM