Now my z10 has dead pixels. Could it be I was doing something wrong? Maybe using the phone too much? Too much brightness or for too long? Charging it too much? Using it too much while charging? Pressing or rubbing on the screen too much or hard (playing games)? I'm very disappointed and upset.
    Z10 dead and/or stuck pixels-img_20140504_041726.png

Posted via CB10
    05-04-14 03:19 AM
    They're around the top right corner and bottom right corner, btw.

Posted via CB10
    05-04-14 03:21 AM
    How can you make a picture of a dead pixel? Screenshot doesn't do that it takes a snapshot of your video memory, not the actual screen. Maybe your background pictures needs a tune up. If your screen has dead pixel, in the warranty it should be mentioned how many pixels are considered a warranty repair, replacement. I know it sucks, but it is a high tech component with very very small electronics, they can get defect.
    ronfc likes this.
    05-04-14 03:40 AM
    How can you make a picture of a dead pixel? Screenshot doesn't do that it takes a snapshot of your video memory, not the actual screen. Maybe your background pictures needs a tune up. If your screen has dead pixel, in the warranty it should be mentioned how many pixels are considered a warranty repair, replacement. I know it sucks, but it is a high tech component with very very small electronics, they can get defect.
    Well, when I looked at the picture I posted the stuck pixels could be seen.

So, what could cause them? Pressing or rubbing too hard on the screen? Or any of the other things I mentioned above?

Also, any fixes?

And how much could it cost to get a new screen. I literally just got this Z10 and that is some complete BS.

Posted via CB10
    05-04-14 04:00 AM
    I have three samsung lcd monitors and each one has a dead pixel. there is a reason why the likes of futureshop, best buy, etc offer you an extended warranty just for dead pixels. manufacturers do not guarantee no dead pixels and normally only warranty the items if there is more than 10 or something, but check the warranty pamphlet.

screen repair is pretty straight forward - search on ifixit. I've opened up my z10 and put it back together with no problems. the lcd screen itself is around $30. there are a couple things ifixit doesn't mention though:

- there's a piece of tape covering some components on the backside of the power button. you might have to remove this to get the screen off. make sure you put it back. if you dont, there's a good chance something will short on the adjacent shield when everything is back together.

- there's thermal paste on the SoC and the rest of the casing for heat sinking purposes. from my experience, thermal paste is a one time use thing because once you break the seal, it's never the same. I would suggest scraping off the old stuff and applying some new, better thermal paste (the one they use is pretty hard). I used some that I had leftover from my PC building days and I found the back of the z10 didn't get as hot (better heat distribution). I even ran some cpu + gpu stability stress test android apps to drive it hard.
    05-04-14 05:01 AM
    OP, you have to take a photo of the "dead" pixel using a different camera, not taking a screenshot. By the way, if your device is still under warranty, you can ask for a repair or replacement.

Cave, cave, moderator videt
    05-04-14 05:22 AM
    Well, when I looked at the picture I posted the stuck pixels could be seen.

So, what could cause them? Pressing or rubbing too hard on the screen? Or any of the other things I mentioned above?

Also, any fixes?

And how much could it cost to get a new screen. I literally just got this Z10 and that is some complete BS.

Posted via CB10
    Well of course it could be seen. When you screenshot the phone, the phone actually pictured the blackscreen but not including the dead pixels. Now when you view the black screen printscreen, you think that the dead pixels was included in the pic but it is actually only in the screen.

Posted via My Awesome Z10
    ronfc likes this.
    05-04-14 05:33 AM
    When you screenshot the phone, the phone actually pictured the blackscreen but not including the dead pixels.
    Correct. Because the problem lies in the output (the screen), not in the data that the screen receives.

05-04-14 05:44 AM
    BlackBerry Virtual Expert (App) might pick up any other issues you have also if you give it a shot.

Posted via CB
    05-04-14 05:56 AM
    BlackBerry Virtual Expert (App) might pick up any other issues you have also if you give it a shot.

Posted via CB
    I did the display tests and it passed then all because the stuck pixels are only seen on dark/black backgrounds.

Posted via CB10
    05-04-14 12:42 PM
    I have three samsung lcd monitors and each one has a dead pixel. there is a reason why the likes of futureshop, best buy, etc offer you an extended warranty just for dead pixels. manufacturers do not guarantee no dead pixels and normally only warranty the items if there is more than 10 or something, but check the warranty pamphlet.

screen repair is pretty straight forward - search on ifixit. I've opened up my z10 and put it back together with no problems. the lcd screen itself is around $30. there are a couple things ifixit doesn't mention though:

- there's a piece of tape covering some components on the backside of the power button. you might have to remove this to get the screen off. make sure you put it back. if you dont, there's a good chance something will short on the adjacent shield when everything is back together.

- there's thermal paste on the SoC and the rest of the casing for heat sinking purposes. from my experience, thermal paste is a one time use thing because once you break the seal, it's never the same. I would suggest scraping off the old stuff and applying some new, better thermal paste (the one they use is pretty hard). I used some that I had leftover from my PC building days and I found the back of the z10 didn't get as hot (better heat distribution). I even ran some cpu + gpu stability stress test android apps to drive it hard.
    It's a bummer having to spend extra money to have a non stuck pixeled screen. It's weird, less technology is better built, more technology, less reliable. Smh.

Posted via CB10
    05-04-14 12:44 PM
    OP, you have to take a photo of the "dead" pixel using a different camera, not taking a screenshot. By the way, if your device is still under warranty, you can ask for a repair or replacement.

I bought it off someone here second hand. Can I still take advantage of some type of warranty?

Posted via CB10
    05-04-14 12:45 PM
    I bought it off someone here second hand. Can I still take advantage of some type of warranty?

Posted via CB10
    I think so, yes, maybe, if the person still has the receipt.

05-04-14 12:54 PM
    Yes. We're getting a "new" one sent out by T-Mobile, either new or like new. I really don't want to have any problems with the phone. I really like the Z10 and BlackBerry 10. I understand the battery life is something that can be fixed with an update so I'm not sweating that but stuck pixels and such are a pain in my *** and unacceptable.

Does anyone know what can cause stuck or dead pixels, what to do to avoid them and what not to do to avoid them?

Posted via CB10
    05-04-14 02:55 PM
    Heello?

Posted via CB10
    05-04-14 11:19 PM
    Heello?

Posted via CB10
    Hi there.
    I think it's the luck of the draw really. I've given phones some pretty rough treatment at times, yet I've never wound up with dead pixels. (Dead screens, dead batteries, dead keyboards, dead radios, dead phones.. yet the pixels really hung in there for me).
    I think that an occasional unit from every manufacturer must leave the factory with a manufacturing flaw which will result in dead pixels after a period of use.

Posted via CB
    05-05-14 03:39 AM
    Hi there.
    I think it's the luck of the draw really. I've given phones some pretty rough treatment at times, yet I've never wound up with dead pixels. (Dead screens, dead batteries, dead keyboards, dead radios, dead phones.. yet the pixels really hung in there for me).
    I think that an occasional unit from every manufacturer must leave the factory with a manufacturing flaw which will result in dead pixels after a period of use.

Posted via CB
    I have to praise you for using "dead" countless of times.

05-05-14 06:32 AM