There is no such thing as a computer with too much horsepower, disk, or memory.
    It's like having "too much money".
    EXACTLY!!

Keith H. via CB10 on Z10
    12-09-13 09:46 PM
    The only time mine has ever lagged is any time after a fresh leak install, which is to be expected, and when playing asphalt 7. So it could use a better GPU but the processor is more than enough
    Edit: not really sure this is accurate either. My usage spike from playing asphalt shows around 43% usage if I have it on the 48 hr view, 57% in the 24 hr view and over 70% in the 12 hour view.

Sent from my XT1056 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by enik; 12-09-13 at 11:20 PM.
    12-09-13 11:08 PM
    you should consider SYSTEM usage as well some apps have impact on SYSTEM usage
    This is actually a serious deficiency in the monitor because it will report system as draining the battery when in reality it is an android app ripping through data. Had Facebook for Android go through a gig in half a day like that and the drain and activity was all system. The app itself was way down the list.

Posted via CB10
    12-10-13 03:53 AM
    Your answer actually started to give me some insight...
    That maybe the CPU is good, and the lag comes from the other tired parts of the phone like the flash memory /ram (most probably GPU for games) shouldn't companies be focusing on improving the speed of those instead of the processor race.

When you play a heavy game that's not playing smooth you'll still find the processor running easly at around 30% maximum, while the game is very stuttery.

Posted via CB10 on my Z10STL100-1/10.2.1.1055
    Mostly true :-)

CPU is usually not the bottleneck.

Storage & I/O, RAM, and GPU are likely to bottleneck before the CPU. The CPU only bottlenecks when it's really underpowered. If the Z10 was running a 1GHz single core processor, then the CPU may become an issue... I doubt the S4 is unable to drive any current flagship on the market, but there are other reasons to go for the newer CPUs.

NAND Flash chips aren't all the same. Some manufacturers may use a slower chip. Some OEMs even use eMMC which yields slower performance.

RAM isn't all the same. Some manufacturers may use worse RAM than others. Lower Timings, Lower Speed. Channel Configurations, etc.

If the GPU cannot handle the load, it will bottleneck (lag, artifacts, etc.). The GPU is integrated into the SoC in these devices. There is no discrete graphics card, obviously.

Also, OSes may handle processes differently. Different SKUs of similar CPUs may have differences in scheduling, etc.

The reason why OEMs will opt for better SoCs is because they tend to allow the phone to support better tech in other areas. These are Systems on a Chip, not just CPUs. The CPU, GPU, and some Radios are all in a single unit and an older CPU that may still perform well may not give you things like LTE support, BT 4.0 Support, etc. ISP (for the camera) in the SOC is much better in the newer models, as well... A lot of OEMs do not have their own custom solutions like Apple (whose whole SoC is custom) or HTC (which uses ImageSense/ImageChip).

One good Example is the Exynos that was in the Galaxy S2. Even though it was the best performing SoC back then, all the US carriers used the worse Snapdragon 3 SoC in their devices because Exynos did not have an LTE radio. Sprint was the only exception, because they used WiMax in lieu of LTE back then (Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch). Oh, and AT&T, which carrier two Galaxy S II SKUs (Exynos/HSPA+ GSII and Snap 3/LTE GSII Skyrocket).

The reasons for choosing the better SoCs go well beyond simply "does it perform well enough to run the OS smoothly." There are a ton of factors. Additionally, a 28nm Snap 4 SoC is way more power efficient than a 40-45nm Snap 3 SoC, and produces less heat.
    LostOnThePianoRoll likes this.
    12-10-13 09:24 AM
    I think this almost proves the OP's point. The Z10 and Z30 both use Krait CPUs, with the Z30's CPU running only ~14% faster. The biggest difference is that the Z30's Adreno 320 GPU destroys the Z10's Adreno 225 GPU.
    Krait is just a family of CPUs they produced in that generation. It's like saying an i3 from 2011 is only 13% slower than one from 2013 based on clock speed. That's clearly false. Newer CPUs improve their processing speeds in ways other than clock speed. The Z30's SoC is quite a bit better than the Z10's even outside of the clock speed.

The same way a 2.8GHz Core i7 will curbstomp a Pentium 4 at the same clock speed (even if both only used one core).
    LostOnThePianoRoll likes this.
    12-10-13 09:28 AM
    @ N8ter#AC

Thanks for the very informative answers... technology sure is fascinating...

Posted via CB10 on my Z10STL100-1/10.2.1.1055
    12-10-13 11:18 AM
    I will disagree with the group here. Took me a awhile to realize it, but developers with ideas for state-of-the-art apps and games will only program for state-of-the-art devices. Releasing a phone with top-of-the-line hardware is an attention getter at the least for consumers, even if the OS or current apps/games don't require the processing power. Look how the Lumia put Windows Phone back on the map because of the camera.
    12-10-13 12:32 PM
    No different than any PC where the CPU is mainly waiting for things to do. I agree with what someone else said about the Z30. You can see the benefits brought by even that modest CPU upgrade over the Z10.

Z10STL100-4/10.2.1.1055
    12-10-13 12:37 PM
    Krait is just a family of CPUs they produced in that generation. It's like saying an i3 from 2011 is only 13% slower than one from 2013 based on clock speed. That's clearly false. Newer CPUs improve their processing speeds in ways other than clock speed. The Z30's SoC is quite a bit better than the Z10's even outside of the clock speed.

The same way a 2.8GHz Core i7 will curbstomp a Pentium 4 at the same clock speed (even if both only used one core).
    Yes I know However, I erroneously thought that the Z10 and Z30 both used the Krait 200. Apparently the Z30 uses the Krait 300. Theoretically, Krait 300 has about a 10-11 percent instruction-per-clock advantage versus the Krait 200.

Z30 vs Z10 : CPU
    When combined with its 200 Mhz clock increase, this results in the Z30's Krait 300 being between 25-30% faster than the Z10's Krait 200 (not the 14 percent I originally stated).

Z30 vs Z10 : GPU
    For contrast, the Z30's Adreno 320 GPU is approximately 100% faster than the Z10's Adreno 225.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by mnc76; 12-10-13 at 09:50 PM.
    12-10-13 09:23 PM
    I will disagree with the group here. Took me a awhile to realize it, but developers with ideas for state-of-the-art apps and games will only program for state-of-the-art devices. Releasing a phone with top-of-the-line hardware is an attention getter at the least for consumers, even if the OS or current apps/games don't require the processing power. Look how the Lumia put Windows Phone back on the map because of the camera.
    For gaming, programmers have parameters you can set that effect the rendering quality, and these in turn effect the load on the system . Nobody making money programs for top of the line hardware, else the potential customer pool would be small.

Posted via CB10
    12-11-13 01:47 AM
    An SOC encompasses CPU + GPU + Radio + other components. You can make an SOC faster without touching the CPU (e.g.: increase the GPU speed).

As for this discussion -- A good example is the new game consoles: Horribly outdated CPUs with powerful GPUs. For consoles -- and likely also for the Z10 -- most of their tasks are gpu-bound, NOT cpu-bound.
    Don't even start with the 'next gen' consoles, they are so underpowered to what was expected and what kind of horsepower they should have had. I don't expect a full 7 years of gaming from them as the PS3 which was released in 2006 if I'm right! They went for AMD when they should have gone for nVidia. But hey they had to keep the price down somehow!

Posted via CB10
    12-19-13 01:22 AM
    Z10 is future-proofed! Oh boy, winner!

Trusted Member Genius on a Z10
    12-19-13 02:48 AM
    Z10 is future-proofed! Oh boy, winner!

Trusted Member Genius on a Z10
    Nothing is ever future proofed...

Posted via CB10
    12-19-13 03:02 PM
    I just got a Passport on Thursday and I've been on it constantly. Playing games, web browsing, listening to music, etc. I haven't hit above 35% yet.
    09-28-14 04:32 AM
64 123