About 2 weeks ago or so, my z10 started to behave very oddly - it would lose 30% battery charge in 4-5 hours; the weird thing was that it was unequivocally turned OFF for this amount of time.

I then noticed that battery guru was showing me the battery to be used at about 0.5W on idle - even during long periods of non-use.

I checked out the on board device monitor and that's when I discovered the funky 'wavy' charging pattern which it recorded.

It seems like the battery/device is permanently on a drain state! And this is killing my phone's productivity! It's as if turning the phone off is the same as leaving it on - it shows a significant drop in battery level AND it gets warm in the "off" state. (oddly enough, it stays fairly cool when idling)

I've tried everything from turning data and wifi off to going into 2g mode to wiping the phone to changing the battery and the charger but this issue of extra battery drain still persists. Does anyone have ANY clue on how I can fix this? Thanks guys, I really appreciate it.

Z10 charging weirdly. (screenshots inside)-img_20140403_082707.png

Z10 charging weirdly. (screenshots inside)-img_20140319_090254.png

Attachment 260329

(The last screenshot doesn't show it clearly but when I turned the phone OFF shortly after 3.30am, the battery was about 70%. When I turned it back ON around 5 hours later, it had fallen to just over 40%! )

Posted via CB10
    04-02-14 07:46 PM
    Damn son!
    Freaky.
    Do you work in a machine shop, welding shop or other fine particulate airborne contaminants environment?
    04-02-14 08:16 PM
    How do the battery contacts look? Are any out of sync?
    04-02-14 08:18 PM
    Any big drops on the ground?
    04-02-14 08:19 PM
    Aggressive heating and cooling environment. Moisture damage reason.
    Just spit balling.
    Put a piece of a cigarette pack or anything thicker than paper, at the bottom end of the battery to shim it up against the contacts.
    Compressed air can with the back off and battery out.
    If anything, it eliminates things you can easily try yourself.
    04-02-14 08:26 PM
    I would also like to know the answer to this. My Z10 has been acting weird these days as it takes a long, long time before it fully charges. Sometimes not at all. And what's really weird is that it is discharging even when the charger is plugged while idle.

I tried turning off the location services at it seems to be stable at one point, then battery started acting up again. It could be that or you have a bad battery.
    04-02-14 08:27 PM
    Spending a lot of time near salt water?
    04-02-14 08:28 PM
    Take out battery before you sleep and put it in again after waking up?
    04-02-14 08:40 PM
    Battery is probably about shot... replace it.

Posted via CB10
    billsterjito and Thalestr like this.
    04-02-14 08:46 PM
    Aggressive heating and cooling environment. Moisture damage reason.
    Just spit balling.
    Put a piece of a cigarette pack or anything thicker than paper, at the bottom end of the battery to shim it up against the contacts.
    Compressed air can with the back off and battery out.
    If anything, it eliminates things you can easily try yourself.

No excessive heating or cooling since the new battery. Nothing prior to that either. Just the standard heat up while the battery is charging. I'll check the contacts.

Posted via CB10
    04-02-14 10:11 PM
    Spending a lot of time near salt water?
    Problems started when I went to a beach for a few days. What's your theory?

Posted via CB10
    04-02-14 10:14 PM
    Battery is probably about shot... replace it.

Posted via CB10
    I've already replaced my battery to no avail

Posted via CB10
    04-02-14 10:15 PM
    Open Device Manager and see what may be running, check both the Battery and
    CPU tabs.
    04-02-14 10:32 PM
    Open Device Manager and see what may be running, check both the Battery and
    CPU tabs.
    Latest battery data:

Z10 charging weirdly. (screenshots inside)-img_20140403_120209.png

Latest cpu data:

Z10 charging weirdly. (screenshots inside)-img_20140403_120156.png

I don't see anything unusual :/

Posted via CB10
    04-02-14 11:05 PM
    My dad had a digital camera that had a internal short that caused the batteries to run dead even when off. It worked fine when on but died fast. Think this could be your issue?

Posted via Z10
    04-02-14 11:36 PM
    Any Android apps? The Free Task Manager is also in BB World and shows running Android apps and can kill them.

Do you have good cell coverage - searching for signal can deplete a battery.
    04-02-14 11:58 PM
    Any Android apps? The Free Task Manager is also in BB World and shows running Android apps and can kill them.

Do you have good cell coverage - searching for signal can deplete a battery.
    His phone is off when this happens

Posted via Z10
    PoppySeeds likes this.
    04-03-14 01:08 AM
    I would do as another suggested. Turn it off and pull the battery. If the battery is still depleted when you put it in then the battery is shot. Can't hold a charge. If it is good then the phone might have some kind of damage causing it to draw a current even when it's off(internal short)

Posted via CB10
    PoppySeeds likes this.
    04-03-14 01:28 AM
    Do you use the charger that came with the phone?

Other users have reported that using non standard chargers can have a an odd effect on the battery.

I have trouble getting my battery to fully charge when I connect it to my computer.

Posted via CB10
    04-03-14 03:28 AM
    Your problem is NOT hardware related. Just forget all suggestions about paper, air or whatever. It is pure guessing and a waste of your time and efforts.

F2 is spot on about troubleshooting: Use the built-in tools to identify the root cause of your battery drain.

Looking at the Battery tab reveals a few things:
    Even during night, you have something on the device draining the battery. The battery charges to 100% and the charging stops while the battery is used/drained. When the battery reaches around 90% it seems to kick in again.
    The power drain seems to give you around 4 hours of usage (28% = 1 hour). For an average user this seems low, but it is hard to say how you use it.

Would it be possible to fully charge your device, disconnect the charger and leave it untouched for some hours? Then post the battery graph/screenshot again. Pls. select to display since last charging only.

Depending on your enthusiasm and time resources available, you have to decide between two ways of trouble shooting:
    1) Try to identify the exact cause and resolve it (e.g. remove an email account and re-add it to fix some corruption)
    2) Wipe the device and step-by-step add accounts and apps (direct path to a "clean" device).

/JP
    04-03-14 04:25 AM
    Do you have an SD card in the phone?

I had a corrupt one in mine which caused a battery drain some time back.

If you do try removing it and see if the problem persists.

Posted via CB10
    PoppySeeds likes this.
    04-03-14 05:01 AM
    Do you have an SD card in the phone?

I had a corrupt one in mine which caused a battery drain some time back.

If you do try removing it and see if the problem persists.

Posted via CB10
    Good thought. The OP could also remove the Sim card. That would help eliminate cell issues.
    04-03-14 09:10 AM
    Your problem is NOT hardware related. Just forget all suggestions about paper, air or whatever. It is pure guessing and a waste of your time and efforts.

F2 is spot on about troubleshooting: Use the built-in tools to identify the root cause of your battery drain.

Looking at the Battery tab reveals a few things:
    Even during night, you have something on the device draining the battery. The battery charges to 100% and the charging stops while the battery is used/drained. When the battery reaches around 90% it seems to kick in again.
    The power drain seems to give you around 4 hours of usage (28% = 1 hour). For an average user this seems low, but it is hard to say how you use it.

Would it be possible to fully charge your device, disconnect the charger and leave it untouched for some hours? Then post the battery graph/screenshot again. Pls. select to display since last charging only.

Depending on your enthusiasm and time resources available, you have to decide between two ways of trouble shooting:
    1) Try to identify the exact cause and resolve it (e.g. remove an email account and re-add it to fix some corruption)
    2) Wipe the device and step-by-step add accounts and apps (direct path to a "clean" device).

/JP
    But would this also explain the loss of battery when the phone is turned off?

Posted via CB10
    04-03-14 12:11 PM
    But would this also explain the loss of battery when the phone is turned off?

Posted via CB10
    You most likely have an internal short.

Posted via Z10
    04-03-14 12:53 PM
    You are actually turning the phone OFF. Pressing Lock Button and selecting OFF?

Then there is a short. (Does the clock keep running in the OFF state or does the phone quickly grab the time from the cell network?)
    04-03-14 01:06 PM
36 12