Dear Forum,

I recently purchased a lovely Z10 to replace my moto razr xt910. All seems to be working apart from the ability to setup my hotmail email account.
    When I try to do this the simplest way I get the following message:
    expecting delimiter: line 1 column 115 (char 115) If i try to set up a hotmail account, its the same response but with 187 in place of the 115's

I have since changed my hotmail alias to an outlook one on the hope that this would help but it hasn't. I am still getting these consistent messages. Something definitely very strange, when I make a mistake with the password, it gives me a red text message saying there is a mismatch between user name and password (as one would expect). This would indicate that the response from the outlook server when the password is correct, is what is causing the problem..

gmail and yahoo email accounts set up without any problems at all. All features of the phone appear to work apart from this one.
    I have been back to the carphone warehouse where I bought it and exchanged it for another which is still showing the same problems.
    I've tried the microsoft help pages to get imap and pop settings but this only results in different numbers in the error code.

I would be surprised if this is a unique problem, and would appreciate the benefit of some greater wisdom here.

many thanks

McG
    Last edited by McGillicuddy; 11-21-13 at 04:32 AM.
    11-21-13 03:36 AM
    Hi,

Weird problem. I assume the error message shown is on the device.

If that's the case, it seems like the BB10 account setup program somehow chokes on your hotmail account due to some special setting/configuration.

----
    Edit:
    PS: Found this similar thread from this week. Z10 Hotmail problem - BlackBerry Support Community Forums

The way the automated setup works, is that the BB10 sends the email adress enteres to the BlackBerry infrastructure to see if they can provide some automated setup. There is a slight possibility that BB did change something in their infrastructure, so the response is not accepted by the device. This should be easy to fix for BB as they can do it "internally".

How about doing an advanced setup? I know you have to enter more information, but as a temporary workaround it would make your device work.
    ----

I have a test account on hotmail and configuration works as expected, so it is not a generic issue with BB10/Hotmail.

Replacing the device will definitively not fix your problem as it is not a hardware issue.

What OS version are you using (pls. see Settings -> About).

The easiest way would probably be to have a support incident created with BlackBerry. They might be aware of the issue and could potentially have a workaround. Otherwise you have to wait for a fix in a later OS version (possible available as a leak).
    McGillicuddy likes this.
    11-21-13 04:40 AM
    When you try to add the account do you add it just by email address and password? When you go to settings to add the account try to access the advanced options here. Then you will be able to choose an outlook.com account. I had an issue similar to this when adding a live.com account and had to tell my Z it was an outlook account.
    11-21-13 04:50 AM
    JPVJ - the other article that you found ..... that was me as well, but thanks for the reference.

OS version 10.2.0.424 in a brand new phone only out the box this week. I have the advanced route using m.hotmail.com, dub-m.hotmail.com and the outlook equivalents.
    Where the email and password are correct, I get a the delimiter message.

I tried phoning BB for assistance in the UK and they want $49 (or something like that) ... BB website points me towards tutorials that tell me what should happen, not what is happening. this device is getting close to being "launched", I am currently on the 3rd floor with a nice busy street below with lots of buses and taxis.
    11-21-13 06:03 AM
    This is what worked for me. Set up a generic IMAP account from advanced (don't use the generic add Outlook account, etc)

Incoming Settings -

Server: imap-mail.outlook.com
    Server Port: 993
    Encryption: SSL

Outgoing Settings -

Server: smtp-mail.outlook.com
    Server Port: 587
    Encryption: TLS
    11-21-13 06:25 AM
    Is there a bug again where it isn't picking up the xxx-x in front of the server address?

If that is the case you can log into your account in a browser and in the address bar you will see the xxx-x and you can manually input that in front of hotmail.com or whatever yours is using. Mine is bay-m.hotmail.com

Even though I have an outlook.com email Addy it's using hotmail.com.com
    11-21-13 06:37 AM
    I have a hotmail.com email and setup was smooth like others. Just needed to enter email and password.

Posted via CB10
    11-21-13 07:03 AM
    I've given the advanced route and the IMAP route a go and they are yielding the same results. Slight difference is that IMAP raised a query on the identified IMAP server.
    From what I have tried and found.
    If I put in an invalid email address, the device identifies this and warns me. If I put in an incorrect password for a valid email address, I get the message shown in the original post.
    My other blackberry (works phone 9320) worked and is working fine. I set up a dummy outlook account and can set this up on my works phone b simply adding email address and password. I cannot do this on Z10.

When I log into my email through my desktop PC, I see the address starts dub114.mail.live.com. I presume that the server xxx-x is using the dub.m.outlook(or live or hotmail).com. I tried this along with other 3 letter prefixes that I found suggested on a thread that I previously found.

I agree, that this should be the simplest of processes..... email address and password.... Like the device, both physical feel and the interface, but this is testing me.
    11-21-13 07:59 AM
    Hummm now mine says bay168.mail.live.com and in the app its as above. Try
    dub-m.hotmail.com in the server Addy.

Edit: typed wrong thing
    McGillicuddy likes this.
    11-21-13 08:07 AM
    I've tried every combination of hotmail /outlook and live.... .co.uk and .com. and various prefixes.
    When I look at my playbook (fully functioning) the server is dub-m.hotmail.com so I suspect that this is the correct one.

If I substitute the server address for obviously wrong like gmail.com, it still returns the same message. This either means that the phone is not sending the correct info to the server, or the server is not dealing with it correctly. I want this to be a server issue. On the advice of the shop, I created an alias for my xx.hotmail.com email as an xx.outlook.com and set it as primary. Does this take some time to synch up correctly. I did this over 12 hours ago..
    11-21-13 09:15 AM
    I wouldn't know about all that.
    11-21-13 11:05 AM
    Unfortunately, my patience has run out. A whole week of tweaking and trying. This forum and the BB Community forum have provided useful, if not fruitful, support. which is more than can be said for Blackberry themselves. The suggestion on their website to use twitter.... Well I did try this as well but its now too late. I returned it this afternoon and am very disappointed to be doing so.

Good Product, Well made, great interface, ....... but if it cannot setup my primary email account (which was done with ease on my 9320 and my Moto android phone) it is not capable of doing what i need from a phone.

Thanks to all for the support offered

McG
    11-22-13 10:38 AM
    Hi McG,

Sorry to hear that, but I do understand you.
    Setting up an email account should not cause any problems - this is a common task.
    I work as an enterprise consultant and would have offered to help you out. (Easy to say now when you have returned the phone :-))

I wish you all the best with your new, other phone.
    McGillicuddy likes this.
    11-22-13 03:48 PM
    Was reading a lot of posts here in CB. Hope that someone could help me out.
    I am trying to add my Outlook 2010 (work) email to my Z10 STL100-3 10.3
    I have tried simple (usual) as well as advanced steps. But i get the following error:
    "The server for the account is not responding. The server name in your account settings might be incorrect, or the server might be offline. Check your settings to make sure the server name is correct and try again."

Now i am pretty sure, the server name i am using is correct. Verified it with the network admin of my company.
    Checked in outlook too- file- account settings- double click on the email- server name.

Can someone please help me out? Thanks
    08-27-14 04:41 PM