AFAIK, when it comes to EAS, the "forever" option is there but it's not really respected as forever in true sense. For instance, using Google Sync via EAS, it's actually roughly 29-31 days depending on what you actually get. On Exchange, it should be about 30 days as well. The setting deals with how much recent email is retrieved as part of automated sync / push. It shouldn't affect your ability to retrieve older messages by scrolling through your inbox or folders.
    I tried to search for older emails and nothing comes up. It only shows emails in the last 30 days......

Also, another annoying thing about the email is when you respond to an email, it shows you sent an email with the check mark but it doesn't show the typical responded arrow on the original email.

This can get confusing if after a couple weeks you're scrolling down and there is no responded arrow.
    02-13-13 01:58 AM
    You're in the wrong forum. This forum deals with BlackBerry Z10, which is a BlackBerry 10 device. Your question deals with BlackBerry 9900, which is not a BlackBerry 10 device. Please review the threads for either BlackBerry 7 or for BlackBerry 9900 and if you can't find a relevant one, please post a new thread there.

Sorry, we have enough confusion and mass hysteria here without confusing people with instructions for legacy BlackBerry devices creating more issues. You *should* be able to sync your BlackBerry 9900 with Outlook using BlackBerry Desktop, provided certain requirements are met.
    Hey, dude. Chill out. The guy was asking me about Outlook and I was simply telling him My dilemma Even with my 9900. I browse the Z10 ones because I want a Z10.
    02-13-13 02:04 AM
    Hey, dude. Chill out. The guy was asking me about Outlook and I was simply telling him My dilemma Even with my 9900. I browse the Z10 ones because I want a Z10.
    Dude, right back at you. It sounded like you were asking a question. We're all glad you're a loyal BlackBerry user with a BlackBerry 9900 and even more glad that you want to get a BlackBerry Z10 smartphone.

If you're wondering if it will be easier for you using Outlook and Outlook.com, then yes! You will have easy, seemless sync to your mail, calendar, contacts and tasks using Outlook.com and a BlackBerry Z10. You won't have to setup anything on the computer, just a few steps right on your BlackBerry Z10 smartphone.
    02-13-13 02:10 AM
    I tried to search for older emails and nothing comes up. It only shows emails in the last 30 days......

Also, another annoying thing about the email is when you respond to an email, it shows you sent an email with the check mark but it doesn't show the typical responded arrow on the original email.

This can get confusing if after a couple weeks you're scrolling down and there is no responded arrow.
    Neither of these are expected behavior in general but might be a few corners they cut to get the launch version of BlackBerry 10 out the door. Stay tuned for software updates.
    02-13-13 02:12 AM
    Anyone have an update on Blackberry's response to this problem?
    I hope they are not just going to stick their head below the parapit, hoping that everyone just adapts in time and no longer bothers to ask anymore.

I have developed a work around for the problem which actually works... as follows

1. Log into ebay and search for a second user Blackberry Torch 9800
    2. bid on and win item
    3 take delivery of item
    4 Request Carrier supply an new sim of the correct type to fit 9800
    5 Plug into BB Desktop software still on my PC and restore data to the handset and restore all contacts as required.
    6.Plan on waiting another month before selling BB Z10 on ebay (just in case Blackberry do actually listen to customers - Not holding Breath here)
    7. Carry on as before try to forget the bad experience of buying a 'step back' Blackberry, promising never again to believe bulls**t and hype.
    8. Live relatively happily ever.
    02-14-13 10:10 AM
    Blackberry representative states on official support forum: local PIM sync w/ Outlook is coming soon to Blackberry Link:

Outlook contact and calendar information via USB sync coming to BlackBerry Link | CrackBerry.com
    Ian E and Dave Liao like this.
    02-17-13 11:42 PM
    Blackberry representative states on official support forum: local PIM sync w/ Outlook is coming soon to Blackberry Link:

Outlook contact and calendar information via USB sync coming to BlackBerry Link | CrackBerry.com
    Thanks for the info Omnitech, this basically means I don't have to abandon the Z10 but just wait a little longer...
    I am not generally an early adopter usually preferring to wait a few months for things to settle and the early bugs to be flushed out...
    but the upgrade anniversary with my provider/carrier just happened to fall at the time the Z10 was launched.
    It's been stressful but now I know it's being sorted makes it feel a whole lot better.
    02-21-13 10:09 AM
    I hope USB Tasks and Notes/Memos sync is in the works...
    02-21-13 11:24 PM
    Anyone have an update on Blackberry's response to this problem?
    I hope they are not just going to stick their head below the parapit, hoping that everyone just adapts in time and no longer bothers to ask anymore.

I have developed a work around for the problem which actually works... as follows

1. Log into ebay and search for a second user Blackberry Torch 9800
    2. bid on and win item
    3 take delivery of item
    4 Request Carrier supply an new sim of the correct type to fit 9800
    5 Plug into BB Desktop software still on my PC and restore data to the handset and restore all contacts as required.
    6.Plan on waiting another month before selling BB Z10 on ebay (just in case Blackberry do actually listen to customers - Not holding Breath here)
    7. Carry on as before try to forget the bad experience of buying a 'step back' Blackberry, promising never again to believe bulls**t and hype.
    8. Live relatively happily ever.
    Just done exactly as described above... hope to back in happy BB land tomorrow latest... no more OS10 or Z10 for me... hated the whole experience...
    Vigolec likes this.
    02-25-13 05:28 AM
    Just done exactly as described above... hope to back in happy BB land tomorrow latest... no more OS10 or Z10 for me... hated the whole experience...

Dave Liao likes this.
    02-25-13 05:41 PM
    Any news about an update?
    Dave Liao likes this.
    03-09-13 02:49 PM
    bump bump and also bump.
    03-10-13 01:33 PM
    Here is my story:

I joined my current company almost a year ago. I didn't realize they had an IT guru who was anti Outlook and MS for that matter. This chap had decided Google Docs and living on the cloud was the way to go. I am a Sales Manager for a transportation company. I travel a lot. I have a routine: after meeting a new account I create a new Contact and enter notes describing our meeting. I often have to enter calendar items at the same time. I do all this in the car immediately following the meeting. What this man didn't realize is that 1) Google makes a poor business solution 2) without the ability to connect to the cloud Google wouldn't work for me even if I wanted to use it.

I had him install Outlook and in fact the entire MS Office suite on my laptop. Now I can create my Contacts even if I am not connected.

Here comes the part I can't explain: my IT guru at first installed Companionlink to send my Outlook Contacts, Calendar entries etc to my HTC One Android. This worked. But then he changed that. So now he has set it up so Outlook is supposed to first sync with Google and then it syncs with the phone (HTC). Why the middle step I don't know but my guess is because he doesn't support MS Outlook there would be no back up. I believe this way Google acts as a backup. According to the Companionlink web site, Google is required for the Z10 as well, at this time, but according to the web site they will do away with the Google link in May 2013.

This year we are moving to BOYD and I have my Z10 already to go. In fact I am using it for everything now except long distance phone calls. The Z10 pulled in all my contacts and calendar events very quickly and I believe this is because they are now kept on the Google cloud. Companionlink is still on my laptop but I don't have it pointing to my Z10. IF I had Outlook support I would be very satisfied with Companionlink doing the job just as it did with my HTC and not having Google as another step. I went to their website and they do have an app into BlackBerry for testing, but is available now from them as a sideload.

Sync BB10 with Outlook Contacts, Calendar, Tasks, Notes -- CompanionLink Software
    Last edited by bbuser125; 03-10-13 at 04:56 PM.
    03-10-13 04:21 PM
    Any news about an update?
    There are threads here with obvious titles where people have posted responses from Blackberry. Have you ever used the forum search here?

In a nutshell: reputedly this month an update will be released. It will allow sync from Outlook to Blackberry. A later update will do sync in both directions.
    Last edited by Omnitech; 03-10-13 at 05:52 PM.
    akavbb likes this.
    03-10-13 05:41 PM
    I didn't realize they had an IT guru who was anti Outlook and MS for that matter. This chap had decided Google Docs and living on the cloud was the way to go. I am a Sales Manager for a transportation company. I travel a lot. I have a routine: after meeting a new account I create a new Contact and enter notes describing our meeting. I often have to enter calendar items at the same time. I do all this in the car immediately following the meeting. What this man didn't realize is that 1) Google makes a poor business solution 2) without the ability to connect to the cloud Google wouldn't work for me even if I wanted to use it.

I had him install Outlook and in fact the entire MS Office suite on my laptop. Now I can create my Contacts even if I am not connected.

Here comes the part I can't explain: my IT guru at first installed Companionlink to send my Outlook Contacts, Calendar entries etc to my HTC One Android. This worked. But then he changed that. So now he has set it up so Outlook is supposed to first sync with Google and then it syncs with the phone (HTC). Why the middle step I don't know but my guess is because he doesn't support MS Outlook there would be no back up. I believe this way Google acts as a backup. According to the Companionlink web site, Google is required for the Z10 as well, at this time, but according to the web site they will do away with the Google link in May 2013.
    Unfortunately I.T. staff, like everyone else, have their preferences and loyalties, and sometimes for silly/irrational reasons.

I always have to shake my head when people who are supposed to be I.T. professionals recommend business use Google Apps, in particular the "free" version. To me that would be like a restaurant chef depending on free giveaways at the food bank for the raw materials for their restaurant menu items.

Clearly any online-only service is not fit-for-purpose if a person needs offline functionality. Then again, there are ways to do a hybrid of online/offline that can work quite well. In fact, it might be the ideal architecture. Using a syncing tool like CompanionLink could be one of those, but the problem with CompanionLink (at least on Blackberry 10 right now) is that it doesn't sync to the native device PIM apps, it requires you to use their proprietary (and rudimentary) PIM apps.

It's also not such a bad idea to use some sort of cloud service as a "backup" to Outlook, though once again I really question the wisdom of using a free Google account for that. That's lazy thinking, more like "backyard computer tinkerer thinking", since people who really think in enterprise terms are probably not going to immediately think of free Google accounts for doing anything important.

You didn't state why he decided to change the working setup you had with Outlook to something else?
    03-10-13 05:51 PM
    bump bump and also bump.
    We won't be able to see any news on this till BB Link is updated in the near future. Hopefully sooner than later.

I have not heard any new information on this and I am sure that as soon as there is, we will all see it appear here in the breaking news of CB's main page.

We must be a little patient here, there is more than meets the eye in creating this function in BB Link. Sure, we mere mortals say it should have been done already. But in a programming language world, they need to make sure that all aspect of this feature work flawlessly the first time!

Cheers!
    03-10-13 05:58 PM
    You didn't state why he decided to change the working setup you had with Outlook to something else?
    I only have my guess, which is he wanted Google to act as a backup as Outlook running standalone on my laptop had no backup according to him. Apparently he had gotten rid of the exchange server? I'm no techie, so can't say for sure. The system works, but Google adds another layer and that to me is more complication. And yes you are correct on the reasoning for switching to a free Google Docs system. This guy isn't attached to the real world corporate environment. It's laughable that he would have expected me to respond to RFQ's using google spreadsheets. Yeah, I can see how impressive that would have been. Imagine replying to a bid from someone like a Pepsico with something like Google Docs. People would have wondered what planet I stepped off of. How much more backwoods can you get than that. Not sure where this parks his brain during the day, but it's not in the real business world.
    03-10-13 07:20 PM
    It's laughable that he would have expected me to respond to RFQ's using google spreadsheets. Yeah, I can see how impressive that would have been. Imagine replying to a bid from someone like a Pepsico with something like Google Docs. People would have wondered what planet I stepped off of. How much more backwoods can you get than that. Not sure where this parks his brain during the day, but it's not in the real business world.
    Well the funny thing is, people do this all the time. I ran across a discussion on one of Apple's support forums recently where all these "I.T. consultants" were so outraged that Google "pulled the rug out from under them and their clients" because they had this habit of recommending the free version of Google Apps to clients... "how could they do this to us....made me look so bad..."

Well DUH. What the h*ll were you doing recommending freebie online services to businesses to store their critical business info in anyway? And if Google loses something, do you call the friendly support rep on the phone and say "I accidentally deleted something or for some reason something just went missing. Can you restore it for me today?". To which they'd discover:

1. No such thing as phone support
    2. When they finally got through to someone via email or some generic web-form, they'd be hearing a lot of "HA HA HA HA HA HA..."
    03-10-13 07:37 PM
    Hi Everyone,

BlackBerry Link for Windows updated to v1.0.1.11 (Ability to SYNC from PC to Device Only)

Here is Phase 1 (Search | CrackBerry.com) for the Sync with Outlook Contacts & Calendar to the device and not from the device at this time. As Adam mentions in the article, BBL is going in the right direction and we all agree this was something we have been waiting for, but we are not quite there yet!

Phase 2: The ability to sync both ways should be very soon if we look at the time it took to get this update: Almost 78 days from my original post. So I would say this should take a little less time, right BB Team! ;-)

We hope anyway!

Thanks BB Team!!
    eBud likes this.
    03-19-13 12:01 PM
    Phase 2: The ability to sync both ways should be very soon if we look at the time it took to get this update: Almost 78 days from my original post. So I would say this should take a little less time, right BB Team! ;-)
    Blackberry did make a specific statement about that, if it wasn't posted in this thread it was posted in others. I think the wording was something like "a few weeks" for the sync from computer to device, and "shortly after" for the bi-directional sync. I can look up the quote if you want, no time today tho..
    03-19-13 01:38 PM
    Anyone made a test yet?
    Can't wait until tomorrow (my zeeeeeeee finally arrives) to test it myself....
    03-20-13 01:26 AM
    How does this affect me? I sync between outlook.com on my laptop (via web) and the account on my Z10.
    Thinking of getting the Outlook software.

Posted via CB10
    03-20-13 01:40 AM
    USB sync has gone the way of the dinosor.. there are just MUCH better ways to do this now.. IE over active sync..

Step one.. make sure your email provider provides active sync, if not.. your best bet for a free one is outlook.com, but I prefer google apps and don't mind the 4.16/month.

Step two.. log into said email provider using active sync on your z10

Step three.. log into said email provider using active sync from outlook on your PC

annnnddd... done. Now your z10, and outlook will always be in sync, email, contacts and calendars.. not USB cable required and the sync is constant and instantaneous.
    In step 3 are you talking about outlook.com or the Outlook PIM software?

Posted via CB10
    03-20-13 01:43 AM
    How does this affect me? I sync between outlook.com on my laptop (via web) and the account on my Z10.
    Thinking of getting the Outlook software.

Posted via CB10
    If you have the option to do a USB sync, then you do not have to publish all your data to any cloud.
    I don't like the idea of my contacts, tasks, memos etc being published to people I do not know.
    Nothing to hide, but I just do NOT like it.
    03-20-13 02:24 AM
    Just found out if you have an outlook.com account, you don't need outlook PIM software.

Posted via CB10
    03-20-13 06:22 AM
131 ... 3456