I need a way to sync the organizer data on my BB to my laptop. If I can't do it, then that's a dealbreaker, and I have no choice but to spend even more money, switch carriers, and get an iPhone.
    Correct me if I'm wrong here, but Apple has no such feature either, even with that bloated, intrusive iTunes monstrosity. How does switching to an iPhone solve the "sync PIM data to computer" requirement?
    SDTRMG likes this.
    02-05-13 04:04 PM
    That was THE MOST IMPORTANT feature I wanted. How can it be used in business without it?
    Ian E likes this.
    02-05-13 04:08 PM
    Stay away. i just got the z10 and spent the last 5 hours on the phone with blackberry. I have an apple mac and in the past all one does is plug in the phone, open desktop manager and point and click for your calendars and contacts..... WELL no more! you can not do this any more. the new blackberry link only allows for pictures, video, music and documents. what was RIM thinking........ you CANNOT SYNC CONTACTS OR CALENDARS with the Z10 unless you have an online account like google. I have a rogers.com account and use apple mails............ stay away........... I am so frustrated after 5 hours on the phone with Apple and yes I am going to return the phone to telus tomorrow - ARGH!!
    iusebb likes this.
    02-05-13 04:13 PM
    i wonder how the new bb product is going to compete with no access to important data
    02-05-13 04:15 PM
    Correct me if I'm wrong here, but Apple has no such feature either, even with that bloated, intrusive iTunes monstrosity. How does switching to an iPhone solve the "sync PIM data to computer" requirement?
    Good question. Since I've never owned an iPhone, I only know what I've been told by Apple C/S, which is that it's possible. It's certainly not possible with Win8, nor with Android unless you use a different app for each component of your organizer, and they apparently don't work well. This is one feature that really separated BB from the rest of the pack.
    02-05-13 05:15 PM
    I picked up my Z10 this morning and was, like all of us, excited. The early reviews favorably compared processor speeds, and touted the advantages of the new operating system. With all this and with a replaceable battery and a keyboard option I was set to toss my 9900 and move forward. I use this device as a business tool with around 3,000 contacts and hundreds of calendar entries. I also extensively use my notes and occasionally use tasks. My assessment: the device is fast and quite beautiful. Regrettably it is not a business tool. As stated in the many posts prior to mine its inability to sync my contacts, calendars and notes makes it useless as anything other than a phone, an email receiving and entertainment device. This isn't enough for me and until an upgraded Desktop Manager is available I will be going back to my 9900.
    Droidophobe likes this.
    02-05-13 06:03 PM
    WTF?

I CANNOT BELIEVE THEY DID THIS!

For probably 10 years I easily and successfully synced several successive PDA's, first a Compaq iPaq then an excellent Dell Axim X51V using Microsoft Activesync to connect my non-Exchange (desktop) Outlook installation. I finally ditched the Axim for a Bold 9900 last fall as a stop-gap towards BB10. Synched very nicely with my desktop only Outlook, perfect and brilliant.

NOW THIS...upgrade to the Z10 and I'm abandoned...I might as well go back to the Bold 9900 for this feature alone! What a complete Cluster F#%& !

I feel betrayed...and embarrased after talking up how great the Z10 was going to be to all my friends, relatives etc. I'm not sure how to break this. Wow!
    melbadri likes this.
    02-05-13 08:19 PM
    I felt just as abandoned when the long awaited PlayBook OS 2.0 came out with native mail, calender, contacts etc....and no ability to sync with a standalone Outlook. Completely undermines the value of the product (in both cases). Can't believe they did it again.
    02-05-13 08:27 PM
    I think you guys fail to realize alot of this had to do with bis, which is no longer supported unless you ask for it. I would expect that had a big part of this, but I've read reports of google calendar working. And if you download n upload your contacts and calendar to outlook. I can't try till I get my z10 on the 11th.
    02-05-13 11:10 PM
    Good question. Since I've never owned an iPhone, I only know what I've been told by Apple C/S, which is that it's possible. It's certainly not possible with Win8, nor with Android unless you use a different app for each component of your organizer, and they apparently don't work well. This is one feature that really separated BB from the rest of the pack.
    Well I'll be hornswaggled. The iPhone does have the ability to sync contacts/calendars/notes in addition to the usual media files to a desktop using iTunes. Doesn't sync email though.

Learn something every day.

Well then, I'm curious how many people actually use that. My impression has always been that most iPhone users are just syncing to some cloud thing, Apple-operated or otherwise. If a lot of them are doing USB syncing and value that functionality with the iPhone, then I'd say Blackberry is obviously shooting themselves in the foot competitively by not having it any more.
    Droidophobe likes this.
    02-06-13 03:10 AM
    Once again regarding the decision to drop the desktop PIM sync - I had earlier asserted it may have had to do with Microsoft pulling the rug out from under them by killing-off ActiveSync. Someone mentioned in another thread that BB was actually using Intellisync, which is a different vendor's product.

BUT the thing is: Intellisync is now owned by Nokia.

Looks like one way or the other, a lot of that may have been out of their control. (Or within their control as long as they don't mind sitting down having lunch with the bear in its own lair.

I don't think BIS has anything to do with the desktop PIM sync, FWIW.
    02-06-13 03:15 AM
    Nice try at making excuses.
    Fact: BB7 can sync Outlook data directly.
    Fact: BB10 can't.

The fact that you confused ActiveSync with Intellisync only makes your excuses lamer.
    Sorry - this is a miss for BlackBerry. A big one.
    02-06-13 04:41 AM
    Unfrigging believeable! Not only doesn't it sync with Outlook but I can't get it to properly transfer Contacts, or transfer Calendar at all, using the device switch function In BlackBerry Link (or any other method I've read on these forums). It's a great device in many ways but shesh, how can something so basic not be included! Reminds me of the half-baked Playbook release.

I'll try hard for a few more hours but sadly it's looking like a return item and back to my 9900. So disappointing. Like most of us in here, I was really, really looking forward to BB10
    02-06-13 05:19 AM
    Question: How do you sync your PC's outlook account with the Outlook.com account so that all your contacts/calendar appear on your device? I downloaded the Hotmail Connector, but all that seems to do is add another calendar to my PC outlook program... it doesn't seem to "go the other way" and sync my PC calendar with my online outlook.com calendar. Am I missing something? Thanks
    02-06-13 07:45 AM
    This is not good news as already stated. Where are the CrackBerry team to speak to this and find out why or if this will be addressed? Not everyone has or uses GOOGLE!!!!! Like the Playbook if this is the way of BB's future direction for business users then they have missed the mark IMHO. Not everything is about moving movies, music, and pictures to a phone. Contacts and calendar events for work that GROWNUPS use on a daily basis are needed in this new OS and phone. Small company users and operators with remote employees that do not have an IT department rely on consistent processes that in my case always worked from BlackBerry. But the Playbook that I have and the Z10 I was looking to get I hope will be brought up to speed with this functionality. We may not represent millions but we do represent faithful LONG TIME users and supporters. Who at BB is actually listening?
    Last edited by pblakeney; 02-06-13 at 09:21 AM.
    02-06-13 09:09 AM
    I got an email today from Blackberry asking me to take a survey for them... It was short and basically asking if I would recommend the Z10 to my friends and family.
    I put the likelihood as 2/10 and was then given the chance to put into words why...
    My first attempt was 2,500 characters of reasoned argument, horror, sadness and disdain, and though I thought that was concise it got booted out as it could only be 1000 characters I managed to edit it down and it just sounded angry But in all honesty my closing point was the nearest to how I felt and that is that I have actually downgraded rather than traded up!!

But on the bright side I now have now have the facility to wind back pictures so I can avoid people blinking or not smiling... really cool when generally all I take pictures of are buildings and security devices, which don't tend to blink or smile....
    02-06-13 11:23 AM
    This is depressing. I sync my work outlook calendar and tasks on my personal BB daily. I have to be able to do this. Guess I will go ahead and upgrade to the 9930 instead of the Z10
    02-06-13 12:16 PM
    Ok, so we have quite a few people that are ticked off. I would say that this goes for the majority of people that have had a BB in the past and should be a great feature going for the new customers out there. Apple has always had this by the way, as some of you were not aware. As for the other platforms I am not sure, but I can tell you that my brother has an SIII and he is required to use CompanionLink to achieve this feature. ($50).

I hope The Crackberry Team will sound off on this with the the Blackberry Team! We want the sync option back!!

I have been testing and having a little fun with this smartphone since yesterday and overall nice (6.5 / 10). There is plenty of work to do though!! BB better get to it and fast! No more delays...this is critical and people have no patience for these "failures" any longer from them.

On the other front, they lauched nicely with 70K apps and that's formidable!! But you could have developed a native app (Free) that would do the Sync of Contacts like before and not have BB Desktop anymore and everyone would have been super happy!! Right people? But having shortcomings like this Outlook Sync issue, is ridiculous!

You say that you making a product for the business minded: Productivity! This is not productive! Not everyone, as I mentioned before, wants there information on the web. The sync feature was great as we could manage our contacts easily (editing , adding, etc...) on a desktop and fast and always be able to make a backup!!!

Blackberry Link is a great piece of software, when it works (some people are having some issues). This caters to a specific group of people in all walks of life and that's great! What happen to to rest of the famous BB experiences?

The more we sound off about this, we may have a chance to get BB to get this fixed up quickly!!

Cheers!
    MXBerry, melbadri, QWKSNKE and 1 others like this.
    02-06-13 12:39 PM
    I for one would be happy if they simply extend the ability to transfer data via bluetooth. Right now, you can use a BT transfer to get your contacts from your old BB phone to your new Z10. I've done it and it works very smoothly and quickly.

Why not just add the ability to transfer calendar data like that too???
    02-06-13 12:46 PM
    I for one would be happy if they simply extend the ability to transfer data via bluetooth. Right now, you can use a BT transfer to get your contacts from your old BB phone to your new Z10. I've done it and it works very smoothly and quickly.

I most certainly agree!!
    02-06-13 12:51 PM
    The syncing of the calendar is pivotal, but for me I also need my "little black book" of numbers and addresses to stay updated on my hip.

Not having that available would be a huge step backwards - in fact it would take me back to the days before my Palm devices when I had to print out my contact list periodically and carry it in my briefcase with the paper sheets calendar sheets I printed from Outlook!

I hope an update for Link ships very soon restoring that functionality. A service rep at Rogers told me RIM was advising them a Link update was coming.

If it doesn't, Rogers will take this back within 15 days if I don't use more than 30 minutes talk time... Even with an honest effort to limit cell calls, I think I have to decide in the next 48 hours..

:-(

Frustrated in Victoria
    02-06-13 01:12 PM

for me that would be an 'ok' workaround but Blackberry really dropped the ball now losing the sync ability with the most used email client in the world
    02-06-13 01:18 PM
    Patrick,

I've just read that some are doing this with some success. They are limited on the amount they can transfer. Have you found this to be the case, did they transfer all at once, or one at a time? Another thread speaks to this and they are either having to do it one by one, or all but at 100 entries.

I agree that if this were possible via BT for contacts and calendar it would solve the immediate problem but not backup or updates to either once you go to the BB10 phone.
    02-06-13 01:23 PM
    Ok, so we have quite a few people that are ticked off. I would say that this goes for the majority of people that have had a BB in the past and should be a great feature going for the new customers out there. Apple has always had this by the way, as some of you were not aware. As for the other platforms I am not sure, but I can tell you that my brother has an SIII and he is required to use CompanionLink to achieve this feature. ($50).

I hope The Crackberry Team will sound off on this with the the Blackberry Team! We want the sync option back!!

I have been testing and having a little fun with this smartphone since yesterday and overall nice (6.5 / 10). There is plenty of work to do though!! BB better get to it and fast! No more delays...this is critical and people have no patience for these "failures" any longer from them.

On the other front, they lauched nicely with 70K apps and that's formidable!! But you could have developed a native app (Free) that would do the Sync of Contacts like before and not have BB Desktop anymore and everyone would have been super happy!! Right people? But having shortcomings like this Outlook Sync issue, is ridiculous!

You say that you making a product for the business minded: Productivity! This is not productive! Not everyone, as I mentioned before, wants there information on the web. The sync feature was great as we could manage our contacts easily (editing , adding, etc...) on a desktop and fast and always be able to make a backup!!!

Blackberry Link is a great piece of software, when it works (some people are having some issues). This caters to a specific group of people in all walks of life and that's great! What happen to to rest of the famous BB experiences?

The more we sound off about this, we may have a chance to get BB to get this fixed up quickly!!

Cheers!
    There was a HUGE email campaign some time back to reach out to the management at Skype to make an app for the Playbook. Why not start a like movement and target BlackBerry for this feature to be restored for the faithful that use it? It would seem that BB is making some poor assumptions that most users are going to either use cloud based apps, use Google, only now just tweet their lives away, can't live without social media, and between the ages of 15 and ?.

If this can not be done then put out a statement saying so that informs all the users of their models so as to make a better informed purchasing decision.
    currentodysseys likes this.
    02-06-13 01:32 PM
    I would assume you could:
    1. Create a outlook.com account.
    2. Connect or forward all incoming and outgoing mail to your new outlook.com email.
    3. Save a file of your calendar, notes and contacts.
    4. Transfer your calendar, notes and contacts to your new outlook.com email.
    5. Connect Outlook email with phone.
    6. Sync email, connects, calendar, notes, etc.

You could also use google instead of outlook.com.

This is not a tried fix. This is what I assume could be a work around. If someone try's this please info me on your results. I won't have my z10 till the 11th. Thank you.
    02-06-13 01:32 PM
131 12345 ...