Firstly nothing is falling off my phone nor is it breaking apart.

It's just today I changed the mother board over on my 9900 because the original had gone terminal. But after powering the 9900 back up and scrolling through a few menus I started to think how much more better the 9900 feels quality wise. The metal bezel just made it feel a more quality product.

Then this evening I saw and advert for some new phone ( I missed what it was) is now machined from a billet of aluminium.

I just feel its a pity that BlackBerry didn't try using a better quality approach to building the Z10, something which would have made it not only stand out but made a statement of their new self.
    07-19-13 07:09 PM
    I'm holding both the Q10 in my left hand and 9900 in my right. I can't say the 9900 feels better than the Q10 though.
    07-19-13 07:11 PM
    I'm not too sure, I have my Z10 in my one and and my old Motorola Atrix 4G (CNet's 2011 best phone pick) in the other.
    The Z10 has a good weight and not a plastic feel.

Proudly posted via my Z10
    07-19-13 08:47 PM
    I appreciate its a totally subjective opinion, but picked up my old 9520 and the Z10 is noticeably lighter but personally I think the 9520 feels more quality item. The advert I saw was for a HTC One full metal body and according to the specs is a mere 7g heavier. Would have been great to have had a Z10 made in the same way then it would have had a dual selling point of a new OS and a unique construction.
    07-20-13 03:06 AM
    I'm holding both the Q10 in my left hand and 9900 in my right. I can't say the 9900 feels better than the Q10 though.
    I suppose I should compare like with like really. I have only held a Q10 briefly in the local o2 shop and all that did was make me wish I had had the choice of a keyboard when I upgraded.
    07-20-13 03:11 AM
    Subjective material impressions have little correlation to practical concerns.
    Apple uses aluminium in laptops that then bends and gets dents...
    There is a reason other companies do not use aluminium in laptops - at least as far as structural components go - it is completely unsuitable for the job. You want light and strong? Carbon fibre reinforced polymers are pretty much state of the art. Incidentally, the right polymer choice gives you a high quality component up to the wear and tear of everyday use - you just need to chose the right one.

This does come back directly to choosing materials - materials should be chosen based on their engineering merit NOT based on how fancy they sound.
    Having said that, the Z10 is pretty much perfectly built - maybe a little bit too much flex in the whole body but that would be a tricky topic and it is a phone not a supporting structure .

Posted via CB10
    07-20-13 08:00 AM
    Here is something to consider about Z10 quality.

I have had my Z since pretty much launch in February. It has been slid in and out my holster probably thousands of times by now. The corners and edges show zero signs of glossing or wear. The back cover looks brand new (and has a silky soft feel).

To say the Z does not feel quality is jokes, it's sift to touch yet durable as all get out.

Posted via CB10 from my awesome Z10
    07-20-13 08:18 AM