I have been a BB user for years and have the old BB international unlimited data roaming "bolt on" from UK O2. I can't change my tariff as I'd loose the international data which is invaluable to me.

I have recently got my Z10 - I purchased it SIM free (in order to keep my current package). I have now found that I am being charged for data whilst on my home network as my phone is using the O2 APN and not BIS.

Is there any way to change this? My phone does appear to allow modification of the APN settings (they aren't greyed out). What would the APN be for BIS?

Help - as this data package is one of the things that makes me love my BlackBerry.

Regards

Daniel
    04-04-13 07:32 AM
    Call your carrier and find out their specific APN settings!
    04-04-13 07:39 AM
    If I remember correctly I think you'd need to contact O2 and request for the device to be registered to their BlackBerry Partner Support Center; remove any APN's on the handset that would connect to the operators data network as BIS doesn't do this.
    Last edited by pepsijosh; 04-04-13 at 08:18 AM.
    04-04-13 07:51 AM
    APN settings change should be all that's required...
    04-04-13 07:53 AM
    I work for Tesco Mobile which is a virtual network of O2 & that's what we do =P
    There isn't any APN settings for BIS, it has to be registered to the BlackBerry Partner Support Center, but I haven't seen any customers use a Z10 in the system yet as Tesco Mobile doesn't sell them yet =/
    But I do have a guide of what to do if I encounter one =D
    Cap_172R likes this.
    04-04-13 08:17 AM
    I work for Tesco Mobile which is a virtual network of O2 & that's what we do =P
    There isn't any APN settings for BIS, it has to be registered to the BlackBerry Partner Support Center, but I haven't seen any customers use a Z10 in the system yet as Tesco Mobile doesn't sell them yet =/
    But I do have a guide of what to do if I encounter one =D
    Ahh i hear ya. I know of some that popped in a sim from their carrier (which already had BIS activated data plan) in their unlocked Z10 and it worked no issues (just needed to adjust the APN settings)
    04-04-13 08:21 AM
    Funniest thing just happened; after I posted that post I got a call from a customer with a Z10, that I have just spent the last hour trying to sort out.
    So this customer had all the BB Services on the account & was using allot of data, it turned out the customer did manage to register the device already to BlackBerry Partner Support Center (BBPS) but not the BlackBerry Internet Service (BIS) wasn't registered therefore was unable to get e-mail.
    I checked the APN which was already correct.
    I tried to force adding the e-mail account using the BlackBerry Email Administration Tool (this can be used to add e-mail accounts to BlackBerry's but is slightly different to the customer version that usually starts https://bis.eu.blackberry.com) however this was unsuccessful in this case; I wasn't able to get the customer to have this set up, and the information that I have from BlackBerry didn't work...I'm not sure if this is a teething problem or an issue with our MVNO.
    I would be intrusted to find out what 'surreydan' found out from O2 & whether they were able to resolve his issue =)
    04-04-13 09:36 AM
    What would the APN be for BIS?
    Daniel
    There is no such thing as BIS for BlackBerry10 (Z10, Q10, any new devices after that). BlackBerry (aka RIM) dropped BIS when they released the Z10.

To answer your question what now? Think of your device as a Apple, Android, or a Windows device now with a new BB OS but NO BIS support!
    04-04-13 09:42 AM
    There is no such thing as BIS for BlackBerry10 (Z10, Q10, any new devices after that). BlackBerry (aka RIM) dropped BIS when they released the Z10.

To answer your question what now? Think of your device as a Apple, Android, or a Windows device now with a new BB OS but NO BIS support!
    I know the RIM has been dropped but the device is still communicating with these systems when there is BlackBerry Provisioning; I am obviously not allowed to go into specifics but there is still a link there...You are right about the APN as BIS doesn't have an APN unless with Z10's the networks has to self-host a different APN that links to their BIS server? I'm just assuming we haven't had any training on the Z10 yet but I know how BIS works; and based on the previous customer that I troubleshooted everything thing I could think of, there is defiantly something missing (in my case as a network provider that hasn't established the connection yet) as there phone is working fine with a BB Bundle, just e-mail didn't work....I'm perplexed; I need a Z10 to play with =( lol.
    04-04-13 10:05 AM
    Z10 = No BIS! At least not the BIS like you had with your BBOS device. Internet and email go directly out to the Internet and do not proxy through BIS like they did with BBOS devices. So you are not getting the compression, and you are not going through the BIS to leverage your BB International plan.

With a BB10 device your best bet would be to get it unlocked, and pick up a local SIM.
    04-04-13 02:49 PM
    Thanks for all the information - I am currently travelling, but will ring O2 on my return and see what they say.

I do hope they can sort something out. If I am forced to loose the international data bolt on, I might as well give up the phone and either go back to my 9900 (or worse!).

I shall let you know how I get on in a week or so.

Regards

Dan
    04-04-13 07:30 PM