Z10 fell on the floor at the height of about a foot onto marble floor screen down. Superficial spider crack at the very bottom of the LCD. I thought to myself "sure, not a problem, doesn't really effect viewing of the screen"

WRONG.

The touchscreen is completely unresponsive so now I have a $700 brick. I cracked an HTC 100x worse and the thing still worked perfectly. Way to go BlackBerry, create a POS that is rendered useless if you damage it the slightest. What happened to BlackBerry being durable and can cop abuse which is what the brand is well known for? WELL NOT ANYMORE.
    Way to go dropping your phone and not buying a case for a 700 dollar purchase. So if you hit a post in drive through getting coffee is your car maker company to blame as well???? Sounds like user error here not the company. Mine works fine.

Posted via CB10
    phrea84, CDM76 and ihys like this.
    05-06-13 09:56 AM
    I love the thoughtful design of the Z10 but wondered why they didn't go the gorilla glass route, seemed like a no brainer.
    See my brothers iphone 5 picture. Gorilla glass is just a brand name. It doesn't offer a significant difference in breakage resistance.

CB10- BlackBerry Z10
    CDM76 and TheScionicMan like this.
    05-06-13 09:56 AM
    Don't worry, I think I'll get a iPhone for the first time in my life because you know their screens are cheap to replace, a crack wont render the phone a brick and they offer reasonable repair services.
    Oh noooo. Some stop him.

Posted via CB10
    05-06-13 09:59 AM
    ]
    Picture please and video if you don't mind. Would like to see how much damage and location causes the phone to be rendered useless
    Attachment 158801
    05-06-13 10:00 AM
    I would just let the OP go and use iOS devices. OP would fit in with the crowd. Gorilla glass wouldn't make much of a difference, and remember that the design and choice of BlackBerry was to make it thin. I've seen many drop test videos, and unless you chuck it to the floor, it should still be fine. Like someone posted, I want to see pictures. I bet the crack is not as small as OP makes it seem
    05-06-13 10:01 AM
    She calls those spider cracks? LOL. It looks severely cracked to me!
    05-06-13 10:02 AM
    Just bought clear plex - thanks to the person who suggested it.

Also, I walked out of the store with the Z in a case and have dropped it a few times already. Why would you not get a case? An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Posted via CB10
    Thachoc1 and R Field like this.
    05-06-13 10:02 AM
    You call that severely? It's been hardly damaged and doesn't show up when the screen is on. I call it superfine, the screen isn't even shattered like other users who have had same woes like this guy: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...screen-791306/
    05-06-13 10:04 AM
    You call that severely? It's been hardly damaged and doesn't show up when the screen is on. I call it superfine, the screen isn't even shattered like other users who have had same woes like this guy: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...screen-791306/
    LOL. I'll let other users judge that. No need to argue with a fool. That is nothing like the spider cracks you described. It is much worse.
    05-06-13 10:05 AM
    That's pretty badly damaged. Not so small. I hope you have insurance.
    CrackBerry.-xo likes this.
    05-06-13 10:08 AM
    LOL. I'll let other users judge that. No need to argue with a fool. That is nothing like the spider cracks you described. It is much worse.
    Hahah you're a joke. This is a shattered screen,
    Z10 becomes USELESS if you even crack a small section of screen-phone_faceplant.jpg
    and it still works unlike the Z10.
    crazylegshinch likes this.
    05-06-13 10:08 AM
    buy a protective case next time. you are clearly a clumsy b@stard.
    I feel for the guy but this is funny.

Feel free to add me 24EFEB55
    05-06-13 10:09 AM
    Bad luck...I often cringe when forced to "Tap" while walking over cement, or hard tile floors. It's only a matter of time before a trip, light bump by someone, etc. I consciously try to avoid all but answering over these surfaces, unless with two hands... and I tell people its absolutely nonsensical not to have a case - - even as a case doesn't guarantee much protection. ...

I hope that the BlackBerry screen has some real positive functionality over that of competitors that operate with cracked screens....

Ekes, $700, even with rounding. I do hope that you didn't spring for more than $500. (incl a case) for the Z. But if $700, screen appears replaceable for $200. without any extensive repair knowledge. And, also note, if truly a BI injury involved on a "legit" job, your company should pay for your property damage (unless perhaps excessivev non-work related usage) as well as the injury.

Posted via CB10
    05-06-13 10:10 AM
    I also thought of a SMALL crack, when first described. But that definitely is NOT a small crack. My brother had a similar crack on his Galaxy S3 and also had to replace the screen. That's just what you get when you are unlucky enough to crack your screen (no offense on how it happened).
    05-06-13 10:11 AM
    I wish you luck with your iPhone.
    05-06-13 10:12 AM
    So you're telling me this is a spider crack? ROFL
    Don't dig yourself a hole while bashing BlackBerry
    It is pretty badly cracked. Sure, it's not demolished, but it is MUCH MUCH more than you described (or maybe still believe).
    This is a user problem. Admit it, move on.
    I don't see the point of you posting in this thread.
    buwee, phrea84 and CrackBerry.-xo like this.
    05-06-13 10:14 AM
    "Badly cracked" hahahah
    05-06-13 10:15 AM
    Blame yourself. You dropped an expensive piece of electronic hardware onto the floor.

This is akin to a buffoon speeding down a street and loosing control of his car and slamming into a tree. Then blaming the car.

Posted via my BlackBerry Z10.
    05-06-13 10:15 AM
    I have a coworker who has an iphone and has cracks X 5 of that and it's not rendered useless. Even a smaller cracked then what op has can make the phone a brick.

Obviously this has to be a known issue with blackberry. Unless blackberry has no build test for their phone. If your gonna be so oblivious to think BlackBerry didn't do drop test and realize oh a small crack is gonna make the phone a brick.

But since they were knees deep in manufacturing this phone already I have a hunch they didn't want to start recalling the phones prior to launch as it would hurt their profit. And let's face it they are a company for profit.

They will probably go on the denial route and say we didn't know that. Can anyone actually believe that?

Also to the ppl who bash op or others like them. You sound like Steve Jobs when there was a known antenna issue and basically told the iphone users their holding the phone wrong. And it's their fault.

Can you just imagine for a sec if you had a tiny little crack how pissed off you'd be to find out that that little crack was enough to render the touchscreen useless. I would have to say this is blackberries fault for not doing anything about it, seeing as how their are no dedicated buttons which could at least help you navigate the phone.

And if you think they don't know about this issue you must be a blind fanboy

Posted via CB10
    cckgz4 and B4509 like this.
    05-06-13 10:16 AM
    It's the screen technology used. My Droid Razr HD LTE did the same thing. Small crack, but rendered the touchscreen useless. It wouldn't even turn on. Sh!t happens, but its not BlackBerry's fault, its yours. So you only have yourself to blame. You busted it, so suck it up and pay the bucks to have the screen replaced.
    05-06-13 10:17 AM
    Who buys an all touch screen phone without a screen protector and a case!!! #epicfail in my book. I damn near bought my case before I bought my phone!!! C'mon, gotta do better!!! Protect your investment!!!
    Carl Estes likes this.
    05-06-13 10:19 AM
    You dropped the phone. You pay the price for it.
    @ihys try dropping any phone larger than 4.5+ inch screen, then tell me whether its BB's fault
    The technology utilized makes the phone thinner. There is NO way it will work once the glass is cracked. I don't see how this is BB's fault. It was made knowing this was a limitation. No one asks you to go crack the glass. I fail to see how BB is at fault here.
    05-06-13 10:19 AM
    I have a coworker who has an iphone and has cracks X 5 of that and it's not rendered useless. Even a smaller cracked then what op has can make the phone a brick.

Obviously this has to be a known issue with blackberry. Unless blackberry has no build test for their phone. If your gonna be so oblivious to think BlackBerry didn't do drop test and realize oh a small crack is gonna make the phone a brick.

But since they were knees deep in manufacturing this phone already I have a hunch they didn't want to start recalling the phones prior to launch as it would hurt their profit. And let's face it they are a company for profit.

They will probably go on the denial route and say we didn't know that. Can anyone actually believe that?

Also to the ppl who bash op or others like them. You sound like Steve Jobs when there was a known antenna issue and basically told the iphone users their holding the phone wrong. And it's their fault.

Can you just imagine for a sec if you had a tiny little crack how pissed off you'd be to find out that that little crack was enough to render the touchscreen useless. I would have to say this is blackberries fault for not doing anything about it, seeing as how their are no dedicated buttons which could at least help you navigate the phone.

And if you think they don't know about this issue you must be a blind fanboy

Posted via CB10
    They know about the issue. It's a limitation of the glass. The touchscreen IS the glass. If glass breaks, OF COURSE your touchscreen breaks...... not rocket science. You want to use cheap old technology like the iOS, then go use iPhone
    B4509 likes this.
    05-06-13 10:21 AM
    05-06-13 10:22 AM
    How about spending $20 and putting it in a case. Way to Go OP!
    05-06-13 10:23 AM
379 1234 ...