Hello, this is my first post here. A few days ago I discovered, what is by my preferences, a perfect phone - Z10 (I'm so late). I've been Apple user for quite some time now, year after year, model after model and pretty blind to everything non-iOS apparently. I started getting pissed with upgrade from 5S to 6, I would advise no one to do that. Now, after reading many reviews and asking fellow bb users on Reddit I decided to dive in the BlackBerry world with Z10, as an accessary phone for now, and a close second to iPhone 6 I own at the moment.

The only problem I've been hearing about is the battery life, and that's why I'm here, before making a purchase within a few days. I have seen many divided opinions on this topic, from 3-4 hours to astonishing two days with mediocre usage. I would like to know your daily usage in numbers. I'm kind of used to iPhone's format: XX:xx of active usage (screen turned on) and XX:xx of standby. With my current phone I get something like 4-9 hours of active usage and around 48 hours of standby on a single charge. As you can see, I don't use my phone that much, my usage is mostly based on texts, calls, emails, Viber/Wa and some light browsing/news/etc. So I was wondering if you could describe me your usage with numbers(hours,days) that covers it. And give me the objective take on a question: will it last me a day? Based on the usage I described, not more than a few hours of using the phone per day.

I'm looking forward to your replies, I'll be getting the phone either way but just to be safe.
    Y. Z. likes this.
    12-01-15 03:57 PM
    It's not too bad. On active usage maybe 5-7 hours. Otherwise probably most of the day.

Posted via CB10
    12-01-15 04:44 PM
    It need to learn your usage in order to be true to be predictable of your behavior. It might be settle down a bit after one month to get toknow you. Being said that, z10 does have a small battery compare to z30. A spare battery is a must (not like iphone, you can change battery on bb. Get a off line battery charger if I were you).
    WanShark69 likes this.
    12-01-15 06:06 PM
    Or get the standard BlackBerry PlayBook charger for fast(er) recharges.

With light usage I get around 18 hours using a 1-1/2 year old battery.

It's not the greatest device for getting good SOT, but it does well for what it is, AND what it is, is a old device. It fits the pocket well, the hand well and has a nice display.

Posted via CB10
    Attachment 382756
    12-01-15 07:49 PM
    That's what happened to me. I had an Iphone 6(still have it collecting a dust). Then I fell in love with Z10. It was difficult to find this device on the market as no more production. I had been using it for some time and realized that battery life sucks. Long charging process (comparing to iphone), short life span of the battery (maximum 12 hours with the average use in my case, and I use emails, whatsapp and phone calls only).

What was a relief to get the Classic with a good battery now.

Z10 is a beautiful phone, but the price for beauty will be your extra battery or carriage of a charger.

One more thing, typing on Z10 is not so smooth like on Iphone. You will be constantly correcting your spelling errors, going back again and again to erase it. The keyboard prediction factor is much much better on iphone.

Posted via Classic
    bmercer94 likes this.
    12-01-15 10:23 PM
    Best way to save battery is to change to 2g. And manually go to 3g/4g when needed.

Posted via CB10
    12-02-15 02:24 AM
    I loved my Z10 but as others have said get a Battery and charger bundle if you decide to go with it.

I used to get a day from a charge with mixed use but it did need to be charged every evening, the positive is it has a removable battery so you can swap it out for the fully charged one or if you have the battery bundle you can give it a boost by connecting it to the phone.

I never had a problem with the virtual keyboard and predictive text and in fact I would have said it was one of the Z10's strong points.

Posted via CB10 using my Passport SQW100-1 running 10.3.2.2639
    12-02-15 07:47 AM
    Thanks for the feedback and replies. It's just as I expected, I think it will go through my day of usage, recharging nightly is fine with me. I'll see about the keyboard, I've heard it's a "messaging beast" :-)
    Y. Z. likes this.
    12-02-15 08:35 AM
    Let a month or two for the software to learn your typing and frequently used words. Enjoy the swipe.
    Y. Z. likes this.
    12-02-15 10:38 AM
    I had to charge the phone every evening, so I could use the phone for about 17 hours.

Note: in the beginning or after a software update the first couple of days I experienced a way shorter battery live, but it settles.

Posted via CB10
    12-02-15 04:36 PM
    One more thing, typing on Z10 is not so smooth like on Iphone. You will be constantly correcting your spelling errors, going back again and again to erase it. The keyboard prediction factor is much much better on iphone.

Posted via Classic

Really? I loved typing on both my 10 and 30, but found typing on the iOS keyboard to be absolutely atrocious. The autocorrect was horrid for me.

Posted via CB10
    ChrisLeNeve and elfabio80 like this.
    12-02-15 04:44 PM

Posted via Classic
    I don't have much experience with iPhones but the auto correct is pretty darn fabulous on my Z10

Posted via CB10
    12-02-15 05:51 PM
    Don't know guys, I had an experience with all existing phones on the market. For me today, the best keyboard in an accuracy is Iphone and Blackberry physical keyboard. The worse than Z10 keyboard is Android keyboard.

With Z10 I was constantly mistyping, then had to swipe left to erase. Was typing again. Autocorrection: wrong word. Had to swipe left to correct it. Next time when I typed the same word it will correct it again. It has never remembered my vocabulary, even though the option was on. Eventually, to type 2 sentences it took me 1 minute+ 20 gestures. I gave up.

Posted via Classic
    12-03-15 12:46 AM
    I don't have much experience with iPhones but the auto correct is pretty darn fabulous on my Z10

Posted via CB10
    Same here. Sometimes I can write whole sentences using BlackBerry auto correct

Posted via CB10
    12-05-15 04:53 AM
    Hi dusandjovanovic,

I'm a new z10 user also. I'm sorry I cannot give you specific number hours, but I wanted to share some of my experiences with you.
    I read up on the Forum alot before purchasing my z 10. I was worried about the battery life, thou I am not a 'heavy user'. I mostly use mail, and some social media on my phone. My z 10 goes pretty much 8+ hours with a single charge. I have upgraded the OS [ 10.3. something] and I think the OS upgrade gives you better usage time.
    I hope this was helpful. Good luck with your purchase.

Peace
    12-05-15 07:59 AM
    Don't know guys, I had an experience with all existing phones on the market. For me today, the best keyboard in an accuracy is Iphone and Blackberry physical keyboard. The worse than Z10 keyboard is Android keyboard.

With Z10 I was constantly mistyping, then had to swipe left to erase. Was typing again. Autocorrection: wrong word. Had to swipe left to correct it. Next time when I typed the same word it will correct it again. It has never remembered my vocabulary, even though the option was on. Eventually, to type 2 sentences it took me 1 minute+ 20 gestures. I gave up.

Posted via Classic
    It does learn your typing habits over time. Did you really give it a chance? As others have said I can type whole sentences with just word predictions.

Posted with my Super Happy Fun-time Q5!
    12-05-15 09:26 AM
    I went with an extended battery, 5000mAh and have no regrets. Yes, it adds a little bulk to the phone, but I actually think it makes the phone feel better in hand. I get 2-3 days off of a single charge depending on use. Z10 is a great phone....even in 2015.

Z10/Q10, 10.3.2.556, MPJ 5000 mAh extended battery.
    12-05-15 09:35 AM
    It does learn your typing habits over time. Did you really give it a chance? As others have said I can type whole sentences with just word predictions.

Posted with my Super Happy Fun-time Q5!
    I will type my reply with the z10 keyboard to prove it:

I gave jt a chance via time. Few months is enough I hope to remember my cocavykary. I jobs what I am talking about and believe me iPhone keyboard is the fastest keyboard with the most accurate predictive joy board.

I hope I don't have to translate qhat I typed above.

Posted via CB10
    12-05-15 10:23 AM
    I will type my reply with the z10 keyboard to prove it:

I gave jt a chance via time. Few months is enough I hope to remember my cocavykary. I jobs what I am talking about and believe me iPhone keyboard is the fastest keyboard with the most accurate predictive joy board.

I hope I don't have to translate qhat I typed above.

Posted via CB10
    Well that proves nothing!

Posted via CB10 using my Passport SQW100-1 running 10.3.2.2639
    12-06-15 07:22 AM
    Love my Z10. Bought the day T-Mobile released it, so it's getting near 3 years old now. For me, the battery has not held well. I have around 5 hours active use a day (its my main device). I can get maybe 7-8 hrs before the battery dies.

I found that, with any phone, turning off LTE helps greatly. Honestly, I still do not understand all the hype around LTE. It's a huge drain on the phones battery, even on the iPhone 5 and 6. The only time I have turned on LTE is when I needed to down load a large file for work. LTE shortened the time it took to download, but that's it. I can stream video and music just fine without it.

Now, I just updated my OS to 10.3.2.2813 (less than 24hrs ago). First thing I noticed was a huge (giant) leap forward in battery performance. Normally in standby at home, where cell signal is weak, I can get 8-10hr. Note that battery usage is higher on phones when cell signal is weak. This is due to the phone switching between 2G, 3G, 4G, and LTE to get the best signal at fastest speed. For this reason, set your phone to 2G/3G if you are in an area with no 4G coverage.

I have now run my phone with 2813 build for 18 hours, at home, with about 2 hours of moderate usage and the battery is still above 25%. So big improvement.

Posted via CB10
    12-06-15 09:54 AM
    Z10 keyboard. Hmm, can't say much about the iPhone 6, but the iPhone 5 sucks compared to the Z10. I rarely have to make corrections on my Z10. The iPhone 5 however, was a nightmare. I type out my name an email address more than a dozen times a day at work. When I tried the iPhone 5 it would not remember it and screw it up every time. The Z10 remembered it after only a few days. I work in electronics, so I am typing out non-standard works and phrases often. The Z10 has learned my typing and grammar. Now I can type up many emails and messages very fast just using keyboard gestures.

Posted via CB10
    12-06-15 09:59 AM