I don't know if anyone has mentioned this but if you know you don't have any need for 4G/3G for a good while and your basic BBM, email, etc. needs will be met by EDGE, you can select the 'Network Mode' (under Settings >> Network Connections) to 2G. This will definitely help make that battery charge count for more. I know it does kill the experience a bit but practically, one might not always need 3G/4G to be on for everything (and you can always switch back when you want to).
    Last edited by tvst28; 06-09-13 at 03:41 PM. Reason: Typing error
    06-09-13 03:39 PM
    Something is definitely wrong with your battery. I honestly get 10+ hours plus with moderate usage. Maybe even more...
    06-09-13 04:06 PM
    Yes. An autoloader is an exe file you need for the pc to write/flash software to phone and in theory, you wouldn't need a wipe since you're just rewriting the whole thing back to the phone.

Here is the link to the latest autoloader with OS and radio combined:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/bb10-le...-3-4-a-814824/

If you don't want the radio version found in the above autoloader, you can cherry pick the version of radio in the link below, or just load the above all in one and load a radio of your choosing afterwards. Many say 1881 conserves the most battery, but mileage may vary:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/bb10-le...-3-4-a-811099/

The core OS (without radio built in) can be found at the link below:
    BlackBerry OS Downloads

With that being said, all you're looking for are exe files. Either the radio or the OS can be loaded first, it doesn't matter. A secure wipe is recommended by Kris, but it has bricked my phone on OS2354 so I avoided it--so far I'm the only one that that has happened to. And if possible, avoid using sachibar before using any loaders because that will take you back to square 1. It's best to avoid schibar altogether. Good luck.
    When you bricked your phone through wiping the OS, how did you restore it? Was it through BB Link?
    06-09-13 06:58 PM
    When you bricked your phone through wiping the OS, how did you restore it? Was it through BB Link?
    No. Though you can, I just cleared the memory by pulling out battery with device still connected, held the power button until I see two fast blinks, reinstalled battery and restored with leak. No BBLink.

Posted via QNX 8.0.0 MSM8960_V3.2.1_F_R070_Rev:19 armle
    06-09-13 09:19 PM
    I had an issue when my phone started to heat up with no reason. Battery life was like one day of lite use.

I decided to remove possible drainer app: eBay, Skype, WhatsApp.
    Now I keep gTalk, BBM, twitter, FB, 2 email accounts.

...at least the phone stays cool after these three removed.

STL100-2 @ .2354
    06-09-13 09:41 PM
    No. Though you can, I just cleared the memory by pulling out battery with device still connected, held the power button until I see two fast blinks, reinstalled battery and restored with leak. No BBLink.

Posted via QNX 8.0.0 MSM8960_V3.2.1_F_R070_Rev:19 armle
    FYI, did OS10.1.0.2354 with radio 1881, best battery since getting the phone. Been running 7 hours and still 40% battery left with music, FB, text mgs, and 30 mins of video. Before my phone would have been dead 5 hours in. Thank you thank you thank you. Have I told you thank you yet? =)

*sent from a tiny keyboard
    06-10-13 10:13 PM
    FYI, did OS10.1.0.2354 with radio 1881, best battery since getting the phone. Been running 7 hours and still 40% battery left with music, FB, text mgs, and 30 mins of video. Before my phone would have been dead 5 hours in. Thank you thank you thank you. Have I told you thank you yet? =)

*sent from a tiny keyboard
    Haha no problem. Your welcome.
    06-10-13 10:30 PM
    As for me, I performed the following steps:

1. Upgraded OS to 10.1.0.2354;
    2. Turned off diagnostics (!!!!);
    3. Switched off Bluetooth, NFC, WiFi (if not needed), switched to 2G instead of 3G by default;
    4. Changed my e-mail sync period to 15 minutes instead of push.

These 4 simple steps helped a lot. I charged the phone's battery 11 hours ago and with moderate usage (including 2 hrs of reading books and 1 hour of Internet browsing) there is still 63% of battery charge remaining. Not bad at all.
    06-15-13 04:09 AM
    My battery lasts all day. Charge overnight, on at 7am, charge at 11pm. Bluetooth and wifi always on, average usage, no movie streaming.
    06-15-13 07:17 AM
    LTE absolutely shreds my battery but not nearly as badly as the OP describes.

Turn off data services (and turn them on only when needed which isn't very often once you get all your favorite wifi networks set up) and turn off location services (BlackBerry Maps will ask you to enable it when it's needed) and I bet you see much better performance. I'm easily getting 24 hours off a full charge now. I take the phone off the charger at 7 a.m., go to bed around 11 p.m., and there's always some charge left.

Previous to turning off LTE, I was only getting 8-12 hours depending on usage. If turning on LTE and GPS on an as-needed basis doesn't solve the problem, I would guess you have faulty hardware, in which case you should still be under warranty.

[edit to add...]

For the record, I don't work for BlackBerry or own its stock. I am a professional in a serious job who needs a solid, fast, secure communications device, and I freaking love my Z10.
    Last edited by CharlieHipHop; 06-15-13 at 06:58 PM.
    06-15-13 08:17 AM
    A failed (memory card?) encryption can cause significant battery drain.

On 2354 I have the impression that encryption or the phone adds significant battery usage on standby.

Posted via CB10
    i don't encrypt my memory card but i used to encrypt the device data. i've tried that for a month. seems that takes some amount of battery power though as with the encryption basically every device data needs to be encrypted, whether you install/update apps, receive emails/bbm or even take photos. any data stored on the device memory will trigger the encryption to occur and i believe that will be one of the things that uses processing power.

i'm currently decrypting the device data and i'll switch it off. hopefully it will boost up my battery life as well. so far what i've done to manage the battery life are:
    - reducing the amount of yahoo based email accounts as they are so stupid in handling IMAPs: i used to have 3 yahoo accounts but the other 2 i have set it up to be POP-ped from my Outlook.com email account (which supports EAS - push)
    - lengthen the sync time of my email account to 24 hours across all accounts (except my Outlook.com emails which are on EAS)
    - turning the LTE off (i don't need it so much anyway.. i'm happy with Telstra's HSPA+ network and speed performance)
    - set the brightness level to 20% with 20 secs of screen time out (just noticed that the light ambient sensor on the 10.1.0.2354 is now more sensitive so i feel that 20% brightness is now good enough. well done BBRY)
    - turn wifi/bluetooth off whenever not in use or not within the range
    - lock the screen rotation
    - never let active frames to stay
    - check apps permissions and turn GPS location & BBM connection off to apps which i find don't necessary need that kind of connections at all
    - do backups to BBLink twice a week
    - and recently, switching off the encryption (well my phone here is all about myself, nothing sensitive inside so i feel i don't need encryption for my device data anyway..)

what i have decided NOT to do (even though people here on CB forums have suggested that these methods work to save the battery):
    - switching the gestures OFF --> well that's the art of BB10
    - install the .1881 radio file ---> i'm just afraid that it will bog my network mode settings which will bog the MMS protocol of the phone

and.. as the result, i get in average 12-14 hours of usage a day, comprises of:
    - wifi & 3G
    - bbm, whatsapp nonstop (reply rate: every 10-15 mins)
    - emails
    - contacts & calendar sync every 24 hrs
    - fb chats
    - fb notifications
    - linkedin chats
    - receiving SMS (10-15 per day)
    - several full HD audio phone calls
    - sometimes an hour of BBM voice call (mostly on wifi)

hopefully with no encryption it will boost more. i have ordered the 2300mAh battery from eBay as well and still waiting for that to arrive. hopefully not too long..
    06-15-13 08:44 AM
    These battery threads are a bit tiresome but indicative of a real problem. Going back almost 3mths and the Zs inception, we have noted the "crappy battery." (rf. Zten thread) But ho-hum, somehow a few sneak in to defend the battery.

BlackBerry knows they blew this one and, indeed, have a 20% greater cap. batt in the Q.

Yes, intolerable to have a 5hr battery in a phone with moderate use--especially for real business people. And, this is a 5 hr battery even with almost a the features for which you waited for the Z turned off, or down.

I have to chuckle at those claiming to love their phones except for the maddening battery (just purchase 2-3 spares to carry) and missing 4-5 (or more) of their favorite/necessary apps (use their Iphone or Droid) and that the system hangs and that in the middle of a call OS10 reboots (hey, just a call to Trixie anyway).

Further they love the Z, and OS10, for the cross platform BBM (apparently good enough simply to have announced by BB). Finally, it can't be BBs fault, it's those nasty carriers.... they're so mean and unresponsive to anyone but Apple, Samsung, HTC, and Msft. We forgive you BB because you are trying hard. (C'mon, these posters have to be BB workers/family/relatives or, maybe, Govt workers.)

Do all these people work for BB, or penny stock traders, or do they just not have a (private sector) job that demands a solid phone?? Gotta also love the battery longevity reference citing, in part, 4hr+/day on CB. (To be sure, most Cell phones are not used in rigorous employment but it's inarguable that BB has limited oppty outside of its heretofore workhorse image (ie, business) patronage ...)

Back to the battery: No one"using" the phone is getting 8hrs, let alone some ridiculous postings of 12-30hrs--at least not while working. (Frankly, no smartphone makes it 12hrs with medium to heavy use.) But we just need a phone (in 2013) that will consistently get 8hrs using the functions demanded during a workhorse day. The Z is far, far short of this goal: I sense the Q is closer with its larger battery.

Not sure the battery alone is a reason to abandon the Z, but in conjunction with other terrible "inconsistencies" in OS10 that if not resolved soon, the Z is dead before it sees its first candle.

Of course, none of this is new; all is repetitious over the 500+ battery related threads where also much more detail may be found. (Note: Many battery threads date back before 90% of posters to this thread owned a Z).

Posted via CB10
    I have a BlackBerry z10 that now gives me about 17 hours of battery life with general use. I need more than 8 hours as you suggest.

For the record, I do not work for BlackBerry, or the government or trade penny stocks.

I work for a public corporation focused in Aerospace and Defense, I buy premium blue chip dividend paying stocks and value the security in messaging and communication with the BlackBerry devices.

I posted a screen shot to illustrate my claim. This program is called battery guru and available in app world. The black line is power usage in watts. If I wasn't using the phone it would be a straight black line drawing minimal power. The white line is battery power remaining. On this particular day, about 14 hours with 40% remaining.

The tweaks, optimizations and this particular leaked OS has improved my battery life substantially.

Z10 battery life suggestions-img_00000399.png

Posted from my Z10 STL100-3 running 10.1.0.2354 on Rogers
    06-15-13 08:52 AM
    I just changed my email from push to sync intervals of 2 hours and it really helped my battery life loads!
    From about 10% per hour, to lasting about 14 hours with moderate usage.
    I made about 30 mins worth of calls, used WhatsApp occasionally, facebooked a while and used BlackBerry maps for about 30 minutes.

Posted via CB10
    06-15-13 09:13 AM
    The tweaks, optimizations and this particular leaked OS has improved my battery life substantially.
    +1. Latest OS updates and a few optimizations, and Z10 easily stands for 8 hours of medium/heavy usage, or up to 24 hours of moderate usage (with messaging, e-mail sync/reading and periodic Internet browsing and RSS reading). "No one using the phone is getting 8hrs" is frankly a bold statement. In this regard Z10 is no worse than most of modern Android smartphones.

Personally I started to use Z10 as my primary phone some time ago (my previous primary smartphone was Nokia N9), and I really love it.

BTW, I'm also not a Blackberry or goverment employee.
    06-15-13 11:05 AM
    Awesome advises, thanks guys

Posted via CB10
    06-15-13 02:15 PM
    Just an update (sorry i haven't had a chance to take the screen shot before i did the reboot). Turning the encryption off really makes an impact to the battery life. This morning i took my phone off the charger at 8.30am, didn't do much, just a light bbm with some whatsapp, several emails (stupid spams!) and a 30 mins of voice call from my dad in Jakarta. Most of my day today were on 3G and.. by 5pm when i came back home i still had 55% of juice!

Then at 10pm (before i rebooted my phone) the battery level was 27%. I've never had this kind of battery life when the encryption was on. Now I'm happy with the battery life.

Sent from my Z10 posted using the CB10.
    06-16-13 08:31 AM
    I have had similar problems regarding battery life on my BBz10 -- 5 to 6 hours max life. Other major issue is that the battery has started to
    seriously heat up. Using the 'Battery Lover' app the temperature was recording at 100 degrees F +. And this BB is only 4 months old !!!
    I jst purchased a new OEM battery, (along with following all the tips tor reduce battery usage) and I cannot believe the difference.
    I am getting 2 days -- yes 2 days on the battery -- before I need to recharge !!! Also battery temperature is now at around 70 degrees F.

Don't know how long this good fortune will last but here is hoping more that 4 months !

As an aside -- I have been a BB user since they came out. I was sceptical about the BBz10 given all the delays and issues but felt I would
    give BB another try. If I knew 4 months ago what I know now I would NEVER had gone with the BBZ10 . (Serious problems re full
    power shut down, having to pull battery too many times to count to 'reboot, major software upgrades that have done little to solve major issue --
    I still cannot sync with my laptop/Microsoft Outlook. When I first set up the BB no issues re syncing - but with last software update cannot
    sync. Beautiful update -- thanks BB. Service provider that sold me the BB has been next to useless -- 'not our issue -- talk to BB' -- HA !) )

When my contract runs out iPhone here I come !!!

Ricardo
    09-19-13 10:43 AM
    I'm coming back to my pet project, or pet peeve, with a last post to this 841st "I hate the Z10 Battery Thread": YES, a Z10 user can place all sorts of restrictions on his/her usage of OS10 and milk perhaps 8hrs on a consistent basis . . . but that defeats most of the reason for buying a Z10. Notwithstanding the constant syncing of both e-mail and contacts as well as various communication protocols absolutely devastates battery longevity. You absolutely need to update with a 10.2 leak to help in this regard. However, if you want to simply call, text, check one e mail account and do some light browsing, buy a BB Bold (or even Curve)--not to mention that most BB sales are from their legacy phone lines.

IN SUMMARY:
    The Z10 has an ill-conceived battery . . .
    It is absolutely impossible to get a 6hr day with heavy usage or an 8hr day with medium/heavy business-type usage.
    BUT
    Remember that no smart phone really has the ability to get over 8-10hrs of hard usage (and don't let anyone tell you otherwise).
    This poor battery, in part, is responsible for the failure of the Z to sell more than 2-3 million units--not that U care if U already paid for a Z10!
    This Z battery debacle is why the Q and Z30 each were developed with considerably larger batteries even as using the same OS10 platform.
    The Q has a battery rated about 15% higher but BTW also falls short
    The Z30 has close to 50% better battery with a bit larger screen that will gobble some of that extra juice.

SO, to tolerate the stock Z10 battery, you may need to handicap your OS10 functions on your Z10, or carry a spare battery, or carefully buy an after-mkt battery, or trade for a Q or Z30.

Class over!!!
    09-23-13 10:46 AM
    I'm coming back to my pet project, or pet peeve, with a last post to this 841st "I hate the Z10 Battery Thread": YES, a Z10 user can place all sorts of restrictions on his/her usage of OS10 and milk perhaps 8hrs on a consistent basis . . . but that defeats most of the reason for buying a Z10. Notwithstanding the constant syncing of both e-mail and contacts as well as various communication protocols absolutely devastates battery longevity. You absolutely need to update with a 10.2 leak to help in this regard. However, if you want to simply call, text, check one e mail account and do some light browsing, buy a BB Bold (or even Curve)--not to mention that most BB sales are from their legacy phone lines.

IN SUMMARY:
    The Z10 has an ill-conceived battery . . .
    It is absolutely impossible to get a 6hr day with heavy usage or an 8hr day with medium/heavy business-type usage.
    BUT
    Remember that no smart phone really has the ability to get over 8-10hrs of hard usage (and don't let anyone tell you otherwise).
    This poor battery, in part, is responsible for the failure of the Z to sell more than 2-3 million units--not that U care if U already paid for a Z10!
    This Z battery debacle is why the Q and Z30 each were developed with considerably larger batteries even as using the same OS10 platform.
    The Q has a battery rated about 15% higher but BTW also falls short
    The Z30 has close to 50% better battery with a bit larger screen that will gobble some of that extra juice.

SO, to tolerate the stock Z10 battery, you may need to handicap your OS10 functions on your Z10, or carry a spare battery, or carefully buy an after-mkt battery, or trade for a Q or Z30.

Class over!!!
    Stop telling BS about BlackBerry.
    Here you go.. Its the latest Pic from battery guru on my Z10.

Z10 battery life suggestions-img_00000404.png
    Took off from the charger at around 8AM.
    Then was using Wifi/3G continously for receiving emails ( I receive an average of 10-15 email on 2 email accounts)
    Also used WhatsApp to chat with my friends and made 3 calls to my girlfriend and other 7-8 calls for work. Total time in calls approx. 30 minutes.
    Now that's good battery life...
    Tweak your phone according to your use and it works splendidly.
    Complaining like Moron will not help.

Posted via the awesome Z10 STL100-1/10.1.0.4633
    09-23-13 11:05 AM
    I have a BlackBerry z10 that now gives me about 17 hours of battery life with general use. I need more than 8 hours as you suggest. For the record, I do not work for BlackBerry, or the government or trade penny stocks.

I work for a public corporation focused in Aerospace and Defense, I buy premium blue chip dividend paying stocks and value the security in messaging and communication with the BlackBerry devices.

I posted a screen shot to illustrate my claim. This program is called battery guru and available in app world. The black line is power usage in watts. If I wasn't using the phone it would be a straight black line drawing minimal power. The white line is battery power remaining. On this particular day, about 14 hours with 40% remaining.

Posted from my ...Rogers [Z10]
    There are a couple posters in relative quick succession that may need a bit further instruction.

First, our "Blue Chip" pseudo-govt employee. With such unsupported staunch support of BB at the 11th hour (and 59th minute), you would have to be in Canada and have to work for the government (which we'll get to later). Both of these characteristics, of course, are wonderful (as if U worked for BB too) except that almost invariably it keeps one from thinking straight or being objective, at least as to BB. Or, perhaps you merely miss the forest for the trees. Even as we all (should) have had bigger fish to fry as of late--and so I'm a bit slow in getting back here, let's clear the air (yet again) on this battery issue--eek--as well as, along the way, straighten out a couple more common misconceptions.

Okay, yes, yes, we all out here know Battery Guru and, on occasion, see attempts to use it to justify or verify (or not) battery longevity. The Battery Guru, however, tells very little except for setting a baseline for future analysis on the same phone and, perhaps, an amp draw reading (or some sort of relative amp draw reading). It doesn't analyze software, per se, and it can't compare phones short of waiting for the phone to completely discharge--where we don't need any software. In other words it performs a few static tests and can place them in graphical format. These numbers and graphs are mostly meaningless except to chart changes relative to battery drain and, perhaps, track this same draw after changing settings or software usage--nothing more & nothing less. In other words, you can’t even take your 40% and convert that to an exact time remaining and, obviously, you can't take such reading and suppose it to be applicable to other phones--even if you had attempted to name all the software and changed settings. The relative nature and sophistication of such software (as installed on your Z) is not to perform static, or dynamic, tests across several phones but rather to start and stop (or unload) software and observe how that appears to impact draw and overall battery longevity between charges. This last observation, again, you can procure w/o any software but otherwise the Battery Guru graph supports nothing in an argument for the Zed battery except (maybe) that you were able to coax a Zed w/o describing usage through an entire day.

Therefore, be careful how you use, and especially cite the usage of, Battery Guru. (See below--"poster two"--where I plan to discuss a bit more on this software.) Battery guru is not some definitive source on a smart phone battery but even if it were, this is only a small part of the analysis. Regardless, It adds nothing to the conversation to say that you get 17 hours (one full day of waking hrs) on your phone w/o stating w/definition how you utilize your phone.

Here, as was all too common in the earlier battery wars, you make no attempt to show how you used your phone save "general usage," but at least you didn't insist that you were a heavy user. The variables to be found in a battery 'quadratic" are OS10 features, programs that run in the background, communication protocols used including radio signal speeds/strengths, email accounts for syncing, and obviously how much one might use/access each of these variables
    . The variable medium, heavy, or, as you say, "general usage" without more is nearly meaningless. Notwithstanding, you did mention "general use" of your Z. What is general use??? I guess it is average use??? Then what is average use?? Again, I give you some credit for not insisting that you are a heavy or even medium user, as so many that have long since fallen by the wayside tried. So, I would guess that you are simply using it for a couple of email accounts, syncing 4x per day, a dozen calls, and a bit of plebian browsing. In sum, you haven't presented any useful evidence to support the relative load on the battery or Zed battery adequacy--except for yourself where it may last 17hrs. (BTW, you haven't even shown 17hrs; battery draw/load is not a linear function.)

Now, please note my last post. In plain language I reference that so many of these battery threads/posts detail the OS10 restrictions, or modifications req'd to get a day of battery life. (Heck I wrote a few in the past.) I still make mention of [B]heavy usage --/B]as I do in all my batt posts (often I also refer to medium or medium-heavy) along with often a description of what such usage is and/or isn't. Unlike where others have to understand that they are not putting a load on their phones, I simply state for heavy users and usually--as here--mention a comparison between legacy BB and OS10 as well as w/Droids and IPs. Here, you have admitted to general use and, so, by inference we can suppose that your phone's not putting out much heat. (Translation: You're not taxing your Zed battery.)

In the past, we've gotten a few rational CBers to calm down--the rest go away--after we discuss characteristics of usage and then usually concede to an error in semantics. That is, many people think that they are using there phone when they are not. This is not a matter of right or wrong on an initial post: It's a matter of performing a test with some sort of scientific dignity rather than becoming embroiled in blind allegiance to the local sports team. For BB, this is particularly sensitive given especially their current position and, frankly, its position over the past two years. The last thing that BB needs going forward is a bunch of fan bois making unsupported statements of grandeur about their OS10 phones relative to IOS or Droid. As BB OS10 represents 0%, or nil, (rounded) such comments will only elicit snickering.

If you posted in haste without reviewing the lengthy past threads, then I simply direct you below to YVPAN1; a post directly before yours: Does this not embarrass you? .... it should. (Or, Ricardo61952 a couple posts earlier.) Although I don't agree with 100% of the YVPAN1 points and entirely on his methodology, this post essentially certifies the points of all the battery naysayers. As mentioned, there have been so many of these threads/posts going back in time but how could you miss this one....it refutes your statements 90% while supporting my thesis 99%.

Now, true we can turn off many Zed features and crank out 8hrs—mostly on standby—even make it into our sleep hours, as your only point has found. BUT, again, that was most of my entire point, and as discussed ad nauseaum back in March thru May in several threads. There is more than consternation that a fellow CBer posted a rather good analysis wherein he cites the necessity of closing twelve functions, eliminating certain emails, and cutting the sync period to a couple times a day in order to get 10hrs. Not only does he have to nearly turn off the features of OS10 and, further, it also doesn't appear that he is a heavy user. So, 12hrs with 80% of the OS10 features disabled. What did I post: "Why would you buy OS10 if you can't use it. And, you posted: Just tweak OS10 until it works, as did the poster below. Moreover, the YVPANI1 post, written immediately before yours, swallows any attempt you could make at rational argument, yet you persisted ... as does another bloak that I'll get to shortly. And if the poster isn't clear enough with detail, he even mentions his need to purchase a larger after-market battery.

This "tweaking" just isn't flying and is why, in part, BB increased the battery capacity for both the Qs and Z30 (albeit w/bigger screen). Granted, you also state the need to tweak the OS1: That, again, is the main thrust of my post where I even agree that one can shut enough features down and they can get 12hrs. Of course, then you can't get heavy usage out of your phone and, inarguably, defeat much of the purpose of having OS10. [Quote: I could turn off the swipe but then I've defeated the purpose of OS10. This poster wanted to hang on to something of OS10. As point of reference, swipe was one of the first features noted that could kill the battery and, hence, recommended to be disabled.]

It follows, and regardless of BB's status, shame on you if you're in the Aerospace/Defense industry--regardless of job capacity. It has to be said: You fall into the classic pattern of a (Canadian) fan boy rather than the expected (or stereotyped) educated engineer or financial guru of this very important govt industry. (So, please don't also tell me you own BB stock or that your company has a BB contract). ...

My second comment pertains to placing similar loads on a Zed, Samsung, IPhone, and Curve as was done this Spring. You will note that I say that no (modern) smart phone will get over 8hrs of heavy usage rather than say only the Zed falls short. There's no rational argument here from anyone that has used these phones. I also note that the Curve and Bold had a much longer battery life but, admittedly,we can't do an apples to apples except for email accounts, calls, texts, and a couple simple apps. [Note: You will find posted by others, mention that no phones get 8hrs. Neither the IPhone nor Samsungs get 8hrs when pressed to the limit; the Z10 gets less life than the IPhone or Samsung but there's some room for debate here. The point is that the Z10 cannot get anywhere near 8hrs under a medium-heavy load and even if some other phones fail this test, Blackberry has to be better because it came to the game late. It's not good enough for BB to match, it must exceed the competition as made amply clear by the financials--and recent announcement of intent acquire by Fairfax. [Note: There is much, much more detail to these concepts in other posts but I simply don't have the time--especially given the news of the last two weeks.]

A more proper sample was run in March that compared OS10 phones, legacy Blackberry’s, Samsungs, and IPhones. Bearing in mind the (then) tool versus toy concept being touted, the Z faltered miserably. Of course, I knew this within two weeks of having the phone … I dare say another 10mm (not to mention 1B Droid/IOS) consumers also were troubled as they didn’t bother with Blackberry (to be fair it was a combo mostly of OS10, battery, and pricing problems). 20mm phones needed to be sold, well under 10mm will be sold by year’s end: The battery was often cited as number two issue and one of the 5 critical problems cited. Others, (1) Reboots, (2) Communication protocol interfaces, (3) Contact interface, (4) Push and seamless e-mail updates, (5) Battery drainage and longevity.

Third, my presumption is that you are relatively young, so listen in. For the record, we do consider you a government worker, just as anyone on the government payroll—whether they actually work or not. Your pay comes from the government, your pension is apportioned in contracts by the government, as are your expenses, and security clearance. Your industry is 100% dependant (defense) and upto 80% (pure aerospace). Your foreign contracts come through either the Defense department, or state department, or commerce division fo the state department. Doesn’t get much more government than the Aerospace and Defense Industry, my friend. Of course, none of this is in intended as degradation, just fact..

Now, as an aerospace man you should know better than to throw out sloppy comments--w/o proper proof/support--on a battery. Deming must be rolling in his grave. Find out who he is and report back. Do a proper analysis. Load your phone, set up a sample; note what features are on and off.

Now, as an investor: Penny stock trading, herein and on the street, is an allusion not to real penny stocks, per se; it is a slogan for a mentality of trading in relative small increments on a whim or emotion, or on pure speculation. We often poke at these and tell them to go buy a lottery ticket but note that their CB opinions on other matters are colored by their stock investments. (Most of the investment blogs are filled with this emotion over objectivity but it also infects CB.) If you want to get an idea of penny stock trading mentality, read some of the more recent threads on the anticipated sale and, then, formal offer by Fairfax. That’s okay, nothing ventured, nothing gained. We knew that BB was coming to an end, so wanted to post to get a few juices going.

THEREFORE, let me supply some language that may also serve as an "out" for your dignity: Out of the Z box, we won’t get 8hrs and that is one fact that killed--absolutely killed--sales of the Z10. (Translation: "Out of the box" means using out of the box settings but inserting your email accounts and contacts.) Indeed, one couldn't expect more than 4hrs battery time when the Z was first released. Presumptively, you purchased your Z a little later and with a bit more battery success "out of the box" as having access to 10.1, or even 10.2. As per the leaks, I also mentioned that they assisted tremendously with the battery but, as you and multitudes of others concur, one has to defeat some of the key features on OS10 before the battery will make 8hrs. Therefore, today, if one installs the latest leaked updates and turns off, or reduces, many of the OS10 features, they can expect a full day's usage of their Z10. Finally, if still convinced that the Z 1850 battery is adequate, you need to take a moment to ponder why BB increased their battery capacity 15+% on the Q and ~30% on the Z30 (albeit w/larger screen).....I'll save you the ponder, they had determined that the Z10 was underpowered.

A last word of comment for my younger friend: You might consider not disclosing that you work for the govt or govt contractor as a point of strength, or intended strength. Instead, perhaps mention something general about your experience. This is a blog and the weight of your argument will either carry you or not. Nor, especially at this time, does mention that you are a Canadian or even on Rogers do anything other than have your (already weak) arguments ignored. It would be like expecting an objective discussion about MSFT with a resident of Washington--possible but not likely. Finally, avoid mention that you are a shareholder (which you haven't but obviously are) unless its a thread specifically on BB share price -- even therein you ruin your ability to be (perceived as) objective on other threads as some posters will track this information. Just [[/]some unsolicited but sage advice and (re-)read the post below while reflecting on your logic before writing anything more on battery life.
    I don't encrypt my memory card but I used to encrypt the device data. I've tried that for a month. seems that takes some amount of battery power though as with the encryption basically every device data needs to be encrypted, whether you install/update apps, receive emails/BBM or even take photos. Any data stored on the device memory will trigger the encryption to occur and I believe that will be one of the things that uses processing power.

I'm currently decrypting the device data and I'll switch it off. Hopefully it will boost up my battery life as well. So far what I've done to manage the battery life are:
    - reducing the amount of yahoo based email accounts as they are so stupid in handling IMAPs: i used to have 3 yahoo accounts but the other 2 i have set it up to be POP-ped from my Outlook.com email account (which supports EAS - push)
    - lengthen the sync time of my email account to 24 hours across all accounts (except my Outlook.com emails which are on EAS)
    - turning the LTE off (i don't need it so much anyway.. i'm happy with Telstra's HSPA+ network and speed performance)
    - set the brightness level to 20% with 20 secs of screen time out (just noticed that the light ambient sensor on the 10.1.0.2354 is now more sensitive so i feel that 20% brightness is now good enough. well done BBRY)
    - turn wifi/bluetooth off whenever not in use or not within the range
    - lock the screen rotation
    - never let active frames to stay
    - check apps permissions and turn GPS location & BBM connection off to apps which i find don't necessary need that kind of connections at all
    - do backups to BBLink twice a week
    - and recently, switching off the encryption (well my phone here is all about myself, nothing sensitive inside so i feel i don't need encryption for my device data anyway..)

What I have decided NOT to do (even though people here on CB forums have suggested that these methods work to save the battery):
    - switching the gestures OFF --> well that's the art of BB10
    -install the .1881 radio file ---> i'm just afraid that it will bog my network mode settings which will bog the MMS protocol of the phone

and.. as the result, I get in average 12-14 hours of usage a day, comprises of:
    - wifi & 3G [Edit Note -- Not using 4G lte]
    - bbm, whatsapp nonstop (reply rate: every 10-15 mins)
    - emails
    - contacts & calendar sync every 24 hrs
    - fb chats
    - fb notifications
    - linkedin chats
    - receiving SMS (10-15 per day)
    - several full HD audio phone calls
    - sometimes an hour of BBM voice call (mostly on wifi)

. . . . I have ordered the 2300mAh battery from eBay as well and still waiting for that to arrive. hopefully not too long..
    Above was a good example of a post that attempts to delineate some of the fine tuning and closing off of OS10 that is necessary to keep the Zed running through a work day subject to medium(?) use. Notice that the poster, in the end, still recommends a larger (after market) battery.

Now here's another fine and upstanding Z10 consumer.
    Took off from the charger at around 8AM. Then was using Wifi/3G continously for receiving emails ( I receive an average of 10-15 email on 2 email accounts). Also used WhatsApp to chat with my friends and made 3 calls to my girlfriend and other 7-8 calls for work. Total time in calls approx. 30 minutes.
    Now that's good battery life...
    Tweak your phone according to your use and it works splendidly.
    Complaining like Moron will not help.

Posted via the awesome Z10 STL100-1/10.1.0.4633
    Ho, hum a savant that bought their Z10 as a toy. Okay, I decided to take a moment away from the more pressing news on BB to go back in the past and bring a couple posters up to date on long-since resolved battery problems.

You state a contention with no proof, no direct evidence, not even a well versed personal attestation. I guess you're looking to vent on a social site. BUT, as you posted so soon, after another that I had tagged to later answer I'll stoop to comment here:

So, let's sum this up:
    Your day starts at 8AM with a fully Charged Zed:
    Now you hit your day with upto 15 emails (on two email accounts), maybe seven business calls but increased by 3 calls to the girlfriend.
    Okay, now add some unknown usage on Whatsapp.
    Finish with a meaningless screen print from Battery Guru!!

Voila, that's it, that's the foundation of your argument and thesis.
    You haven't even confirmed how long your battery lasts, even under these meager circumstances.
    "PD" thanks you for buying a Zed, of course, but you only need a Curve...just as I pointed to in my post.

BUT, if you desire to make an attempt at concrete support for your contention:
    State what email platform.
    State what adjustments to OS10 you made.
    Keep a rough tally of phone calls, texts, emails, browsing, etc.
    And, please learn something about batteries and how to present an argument before posting "willy-nilly" meaningless Battery Guru graphs.

Heck, none of this probably matters. Even with your (non-)info provided, you obviously constitute the lower end--or light user. A heavy user is getting 100 emails a day, sending 30, and has five accounts. Take everything else you mentioned, and didn't mention, and multiply by 4 and you're getting close to a medium-heavy or heavy user. (BTW, these criteria also have been outlined in prior posts/threads.) And if you're not getting two full days of battery life, you've got real problems with your Zed!!!

Now, for my argument. Okay, I didn't state my entire spiel that I have in so many prior posts along with a dozen other people. But there was no need given the post immediately above--and as posted again in this response. Actually, I had left the battery battle as won long ago when BB admitted to their poor choice in battery by inserting an upgraded battery for the Q10 and Z30 (larger screen). .. No one can argue the merits of the Z10 battery for a Z in heavy use, or as a tool. BB was penny wise for some quick sales (that never materialized) and ended pound foolish (and in the ground). .... No longer conjecture but also fact.

The word is savant or sophomoric attitude....that is displayed when one cannot support a stand, or argument, with cogent thought but rather babbles or displays open absence of intelligent thought and reasoning. Here's your homework: Go back and read prior posts, and/or simply read the one's immediately above and below your post. Next, tell me in 50 words or less how Battery Guru can be used to determine relative battery longevity. When finished just add a few words on how or whether Battery Guru integrates an algorithm to interpret battery longevity. (I'll come back a bit later with the answers ... )

Therefore, you are using the Zed simply as merely a toy! ... Okay, your prerogative, but you disqualify yourself on matters related to the Zed battery. Further, given these extra tense days of our Blackberry, you look foolish and as some sort of fan boy. In a few more years I'm sure you'll find a way to sand off a few rough edges.

AHHHHHH, no wonder BB hasn't sold any phones. Like I said in another thread, there is absolutely no target market ... certainly not a "prosumer" here.
    Last edited by M65c02; 09-26-13 at 02:36 PM.
    09-26-13 10:46 AM
    Time to close this thread down. People are get irrational and punch-drunk on a topic that has long since been resolved ... Don't know, maybe its caused by what was the imminent, now confirmed, announcements related to BB's change in ownership and, albeit expected, poor financials.
    09-26-13 02:38 PM
71 123