Battery was exactly like the OP mentioned the first 3 days.. i was also disappointed but i loved the experience so i kept going before asking for a new one.
    Here are my settings:
    LTE on all the time
    Wifi on all the time (even when not on wifi)
    NFC off
    Screen Brightness 100%

Sunday i played in church band and i needed sheet music for a few songs.. i set my screen timeout to 5minutes.. it was on for 20mins straight.. my battery only dropped 5%..

Yesterday i bused it to work .. 50mins of commute time each way.. music on both trips with some browsing.
    BBM's, emails on Active Sync, phone calls (not a lot), text messages and browsing App World..these activities are throughout the day.
    played some youtube for my son in the car cause he was crying for about 10mins.
    take off the charger at 6:50am., went to bed at midnight.. battery was 13%

today i am working in another office located 1hr drive (without traffic) which means i cross non LTE zones and switch antennas several times.
    taken off the charger at 6:50am
    i made a phone call, BBM with wifey, and text messaged with car pool folks.
    it is now 9:56 and i am at 92%

overall it's pretty good!

i had a S3 and N4 ... both were decent on custom ROMs and Kernels.. but stock they were just not as good!
    dj_matty_s likes this.
    02-12-13 08:57 AM
    There are clearly such a varying mix of experiences with battery on Z10 that a firmer diagnosis of what causes good/bad battery life on the thing is really needed.
    It's been stated many times what causes major battery draining, and that is poor reception. That's why reports about battery life are always inconsistent.

Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10
    02-12-13 09:07 AM
    I'm sorry, I tried. I really did. All I am doing is listening to some music on my Z10 and I'm lucky to get 6 hours out of this thing until it turns itself off. I don't know how people are reporting 16 hours, but you must not be touching your phones all day. My 9900 had a horrible battery and I could use it for most of the day. I feel like I'm going to have to charge my phone twice a day just to keep it going. How could BlackBerry know this and only put in a 1800mah battery? I want to like this device, I really do, but I can't like something that is always showing low battery or is dead before noon.

For everyone who is getting 14 to 16 hours, what do you do with your phones all day? Do I have a dud or is this just the phone?

Heartbroken!
    Europolska00
    Did you turn off the 4GLTE on your device? 4GLTE consumes too much battery life. This isn't a BlackbBerry issue its an issue in all 4GLTE devices because the Qalcomm chip that is used, its not energy efficient when locked into 4GLTE mode.
    02-12-13 09:21 AM
    It's been stated many times what causes major battery draining, and that is poor reception. That's why reports about battery life are always inconsistent.

But I have strong reception. I'm in downtown Toronto. (I'm the OP)
    02-12-13 09:24 AM

Intermittently and in an inconsistent fashion. Everyone uses their device differently. Would be great to have a baseline test.
    02-12-13 09:24 AM
    Did you turn off the 4GLTE on your device? 4GLTE consumes too much battery life. This isn't a BlackbBerry issue its an issue in all 4GLTE devices because the Qalcomm chip that is used, its not energy efficient when locked into 4GLTE mode.
    Yes, I've tried it with LTE turned off, same result. Also aside from the fact that many users here are posting they have LTE on and are getting battery lasting all day with battery to spare.
    02-12-13 09:25 AM
    On my 9900 I was able to keep GPS location services set to ON because the GPS radio was only activated on an as-needed basis, for maps etc. The rest of the time it didn't do anything and didn't drain the battery. On my Android phone, I don't find this to be the case. If I keep GPS on, battery drain is accelerated. I think Android is simply set up to be location-aware if it can be (for advertising purposes, perhaps). How is it on BB10?
    02-12-13 09:34 AM
    here is a screen shot of my battery today.. again taken off at 6:50am... it's been idle since 9:55 when it was at 92%.
    honor system... i didn't charge it! hahaha..

02-12-13 09:38 AM
    But I have strong reception. I'm in downtown Toronto. (I'm the OP)
    Do you have strong reception, or does your phone simply show that you have four or five bars? That could mean the antenna is being boosted by the OS to maintain a strong signal, all the while searching for a closer tower, which of course drains the battery.

02-12-13 09:40 AM
    I'm wondering what os versions people are using, could it just have something to do with that? I think there's 3 os's out there, I'm on 10.0.9.348 and lucky to get 10 to 12 hours on mine.

02-12-13 09:51 AM
    if you mean putting a custom ROM/Kernel.. not everyone wants to root their phones!

the S3 battery life was not BAD but it's definitely not as good as my Z10.
    There is a LOT more to knowing how to set up your phone than custom roms and kernels. Live wallpapers are a huge drain, so are unnecessary widgets running in the background etc. Downloading a isht ton of apps when you first get your phone, and then not knowing where the battery drain is coming from is another common problem. Some of the default settings on the S3 are enabled, and don't need to be, thus will cause battery drain. Anyone NOT able to get the same battery life on an Android as they can on the Z10 either never tried, or had no idea how to really use their phone. When reviews do baseline tests for batteries, it's for a reason. These tests are about as close to standardized testing as you can get, and all reports gave the Z10 the same grade. Not bad, but not great.

It's all about learning to moderate your settings (no matter what phone you have) in order to maximize the battery. These include most things people here have stated, turning off LTE if not needed, using WiFi as much as possible, turn off GPS, BT etc when not needed. Others include using darker wallpapers (especially with a display like the Z10's), keeping apps running in the background to a minimum, making sure services such as Twitter and FB aren't constantly syncing (there is really no need for Twitter refreshes every 3 mins unless you never get off it) etc. Another thing, the batteries themselves don't need to "condition", but the OS does need a few days to gauge useage and adjust itself. I've learned this from any Android, that resetting battery stats will help the OS "learn" a baseline and thus be able to regulate itself accordingly.
    02-12-13 09:52 AM
    whats LTE? got my z10 yesterday morning wifi, nfc etc all switched on. watched top gear on BBCI player emails on push app110 mails received from when i got the device.
    I have not inserted my new sim yet as i am trying to find a way of exporting all of my contacts from my Iphone 3GS over to my new BB, has anyone managed this yet?
    Btw im enjoying the menu structure glad i didnt listen to some reviews that went on about how difficult it was to use the gestures ive had no probs and way prefer it to my previous phone just sooo easy now to navigate to the messages hub which for me after making phone calls is the most important thing
    02-12-13 09:56 AM
    There is a LOT more to knowing how to set up your phone than custom roms and kernels. Live wallpapers are a huge drain, so are unnecessary widgets running in the background etc. Downloading a isht ton of apps when you first get your phone, and then not knowing where the battery drain is coming from is another common problem. Some of the default settings on the S3 are enabled, and don't need to be, thus will cause battery drain. Anyone NOT able to get the same battery life on an Android as they can on the Z10 either never tried, or had no idea how to really use their phone. When reviews do baseline tests for batteries, it's for a reason. These tests are about as close to standardized testing as you can get, and all reports gave the Z10 the same grade. Not bad, but not great.

It's all about learning to moderate your settings (no matter what phone you have) in order to maximize the battery. These include most things people here have stated, turning off LTE if not needed, using WiFi as much as possible, turn off GPS, BT etc when not needed. Others include using darker wallpapers (especially with a display like the Z10's), keeping apps running in the background to a minimum, making sure services such as Twitter and FB aren't constantly syncing (there is really no need for Twitter refreshes every 3 mins unless you never get off it) etc. Another thing, the batteries themselves don't need to "condition", but the OS does need a few days to gauge useage and adjust itself. I've learned this from any Android, that resetting battery stats will help the OS "learn" a baseline and thus be able to regulate itself accordingly.
    that's the thing.. why would i want to compromise the functionality of a phone or features to improve battery life? why put that crap on if it's gonna drain battery?
    what if i like live wall papers and a ton of widgets and LTE (cause i pay for a LTE plan) why?

i understand ur points and it does apply to all phones, but this is what i dont like.. i want my brightness at 100% and LTE on ... i like bright wallpapers, i like wifi being on and BT being on so i don't have to turn it on everytime i turn on the car or walk into my house..

it's like saying don't call anyone cause it drains battery... devices have fucntions and features for a reason.. it's so people can enjoy them.. if not then it's just a scam ...
    02-12-13 09:57 AM
    that's the thing.. why would i want to compromise the functionality of a phone or features to improve battery life? why put that crap on if it's gonna drain battery?
    what if i like live wall papers and a ton of widgets and LTE (cause i pay for a LTE plan) why?

i understand ur points and it does apply to all phones, but this is what i dont like.. i want my brightness at 100% and LTE on ... i like bright wallpapers, i like wifi being on and BT being on so i don't have to turn it on everytime i turn on the car or walk into my house..

it's like saying don't call anyone cause it drains battery... devices have fucntions and features for a reason.. it's so people can enjoy them.. if not then it's just a scam ...
    You can do whatever you want, just don't cry when battery life drains. Or carry extra batteries, which I find amusing that everyone now thinks this is a great solution, but was somehow a hinderance with Androids.
    02-12-13 10:01 AM
    I haven't been turning off anything but my battery life has improved by quite a bit over the past week! Just give it time to cycle
    europolska00 likes this.
    02-12-13 10:01 AM
    Others include using darker wallpapers (especially with a display like the Z10's)
    It's my understanding that using darker wallpapers reduces power consumption on AMOLED screens, but not LCD screens, so this wouldn't be a factor on the Z10's LCD screen.

Source: HTG Explains: Does Plain Black Wallpaper Save Battery on Mobile Devices?
    Rickroller likes this.
    02-12-13 10:03 AM
    I hear you, but it's an unfortunate reality in mobile right now. You'd be hard pressed to find any phone on the market that can go for days without some form of compromise or power management that involves turning off features. Coming into work, I forgot to turn off my Bluetooth on the iPhone and it drained a quarter of my battery quickly. The 4S struggles to make it through a full work day (it can - but it's not the same as my 9700 was).

It's unfortunate, but the battery technology is advancing much, much slower than the screens, connectivity, processors etc in mobile devices. Mobile manufacturers get around this by including power management tricks and/or bigger batteries. But I've yet to see a multi-core mobile phone running LTE that can last for days like my 9700 could, particularly if it has a high res touch screen, and WiFi, LTE, NFC and bluetooth are all running.
    02-12-13 10:04 AM
    It's my understanding that using darker wallpapers reduces power consumption on AMOLED screens, but not LCD screens, so this wouldn't be a factor on the Z10's LCD screen.

Source: HTG Explains: Does Plain Black Wallpaper Save Battery on Mobile Devices?
    Good point, i'm sure the newer screen technology has helped in this area, it's just something i'm accustomed to doing (and I actually prefer darker wallpapers anyways).
    02-12-13 10:05 AM
    I find amusing that everyone now thinks this is a great solution, but was somehow a hinderance with Androids.
    Don't paint all people the same. :-)
    Rickroller likes this.
    02-12-13 10:05 AM
    Turn off all radios not in use, including NFC and I also turned off the "Allow gesture when screen locked" feature...as I figured that has to cost battery life. I go a good 20 hours with moderate usage.
    Unacceptable. Pecking through settings before eg data access is a major hassle and one that should be unnecessary on a well designed cell phone.

Set it and forget it or just plain forget it. Lots available have this most basic ability.
    02-12-13 10:07 AM
    Battery technology can't keep up with the demands of customers wanting large touchscreens with high resolutions, fast processors, fast networks, etc. If you want the battery life, you will have to sacrifice something some feature, get an extra battery, or go back to a Curve. At least you have options.

02-12-13 10:16 AM
    You can do whatever you want, just don't cry when battery life drains. Or carry extra batteries, which I find amusing that everyone now thinks this is a great solution, but was somehow a hinderance with Androids.
    but then why with a custom ROM and kernel i can do the above with at least a full day of battery? it's great android has that option to customize but it should be like that out of the box..
    carrying an extra battery is fine .. but with Samsung where the NFC is built into the battery its a little more pricey.. and with the N4 and iphone5 u cannot change the battery..

i only need my battery to last 15 hours or at least till i get home.. but somtimes when ur out and about after work etc u need it to last and the last thing u want to do is go through ur phone settings and change them just to make the battery last..
    02-12-13 10:20 AM
    Charged my battery last night using the standard charger and I have to say. The battery life has vastly improved! Although I've plugged it Into the car for a few minutes today. I'm on 85% now from 8am. Fairly high usage.

I was using the more powerful PlayBook charger before this and was barely making it through the day. Give it time and a trickle charge, seems to do the trick

02-12-13 10:22 AM
    Battery technology can't keep up with the demands of customers wanting large touchscreens with high resolutions, fast processors, fast networks, etc. If you want the battery life, you will have to sacrifice something some feature, get an extra battery, or go back to a Curve. At least you have options.
    Size seems to be an issue too. The Droid Razr HD Maxx lasts quite a long time, but I think it's slightly larger than the super thin phones people seem to want. And my 9650 will run for days, but only because I don't mind it being bulky with the extended battery.
    02-12-13 10:31 AM
    Having had a poorly performing Z10 since launch day, everything from shocking battery life (50% to flat in an hour yesterday), being unable to set up accounts consistently, view Box files etc, I decided to try a wipe, which then wouldn't even get past the EULA screen for about an hour without constant retries.

I've called Orange who, after speaking to BlackBerry, are sending a replacement tomorrow. Fingers crossed this one performs better as I love the phone (or I will if/when it works properly).
    europolska00 likes this.
    02-12-13 10:31 AM
307 ... 34567 ...