Ads by Google. Psyche.

Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10
    02-13-13 03:21 PM
    I carry 2 Mophie Juice Pack Power Stations.

02-13-13 03:26 PM
    I also carry a 6600mAh power pack with 2 usb ports. I also have 2 PSVITA portable chargers. They all work with the PlayBook and the z10.

02-13-13 03:28 PM
    Oh, the next thing I'm getting is a solar backpack with a large rechargeable battery.

02-13-13 03:29 PM
    After turning off LTE, It DRASTICALLY improved my battery as well
    02-13-13 04:05 PM
    Wow...

I have an Iphone 5 - EVERYTHING turned on - LTE area.....off the charger at 5am EST - back on the charger around 10PM....usally have between 40-50% battery left.

"so to sum up the battery life is comparable to any other smart phone on the market." - Not true.

You should not have to go through all that to make the phone last.......techies OK but average Joe's will not do that. It should just work out of the box.

Cheers
    Well I'm not actually going through anything. I made a statement as to what battery life I am achieving and stating my setup so that other people can compare to it. You yourself make no statement as to how much you use your phone, which I have tried to do. My circle of friends have a variety of phones including Samsung S2's and iphones 4S's. No one has a iphone 5 so I cannot comment on that.They all have work phones so they use their personal phones minimally and they get 36 hours approx with light use. I stated that I am a medium/heavy user and i get 14-16 hours and have shown that I would get about 80 hours on standby not using the phone at all. Therefore I would say that the Z10's battery is no better or no worse than any other smartphone.

My general feeling is that a majority of users are used to the previous generation of BB's that showed exceptional battery life. The addition of a HD screen that is fully touchscreen will impact battery life significantly. Also everyone I know who uses BB's, Android and iphones know that when they buy a new phone the battery needs to be conditioned and its life will improve during use.
    02-13-13 05:21 PM
    Currently 3:15 PM, phone has been off charge since 8:10 again.

7 Hours off charge and I'm at 84%. Made some phone calls, updated apps on app world, surfed the internet a bit, text and BBM.

Same settings as the day before.

That placebo effect really is a terrible thing, isn't it?
    *sigh*
    You still cling to the belief that your repeated full charge - full discharge cycles miraculously doubled or more the Z10 battery capacity?

Lithium-ion battery - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Lithium-ion batteries are common in consumer electronics. They are one of the most popular types of rechargeable battery for portable electronics, with one of the best energy densities, no memory effect, and only a slow loss of charge when not in use.

Memory effect - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Memory effect, also known as battery effect, lazy battery effect or battery memory, is an effect observed in nickel cadmium rechargeable batteries that causes them to hold less charge.

Lithium-based Batteries Information
    Li-ion is a low-maintenance battery, an advantage many other chemistries cannot claim. The battery has no memory and does not need exercising (deliberate full discharge) to keep in shape.

Your ritual was once effective. NiCad batteries were the dominant rechargeable battery technology for a number of years. Those days, particularly in the smartphone market, are most definitely gone.

In my initial response to you I gave some non mythical possibilities for your claimed miraculous increase in battery capacity after 'conditioning'.
    You seized on the 'placebo effect' even though I stated this was a layman's approximation:
    "Think placebo effect (not strictly correct but analogous)."

Time to get strict. A possible cause for your striking result is more correctly referred to as the behavioural confirmation effect. Your expectation ('conditioning' works) affects your behaviour (phone usage pattern) to make the expectation come true (increased phone run time).

Your remarkably fuzzy accounts of use before and after the miracle certainly leave plenty of room, either consciously or unconsciously, for modifications in your use patterns.
    Before:
    "Woke up on day 2 and it was at 92% after idling 8 hours... not bad. By 1pm I had serious concerns, with VERY mild use it was at 60%."
    Pardon me?
    When did you wake up? Love your usage pattern description too. VERY mild??? Less than non capitalized very mild I guess. More than really really light?
    After:
    "Made some phone calls, updated apps on app world, surfed the internet a bit, text and BBM."
    Hilarious. With your "some" and "a bit", you could tweet for BBRY on PlayBook software release timing.

Occam's Razor leads me to favour the behavioural confirmation effect, but I gave a few other possibilities. I'll tell you one thing it is not caused by though. Yes, your 'conditioning' attempts. Unless a NiCad battery pack of identical dimensions fell onto the production assembly line from on high, and this battery somehow made it into your phone. Your 'conditioning' then could work its magic (actually, it would not be magic in this scenario).

Oh, there is another possibility to explain your reported results that I would prefer not to entertain. It is a corollary to, "On the Internet, no one knows you're a dog."
    dj_matty_s and tbkfan like this.
    02-13-13 06:27 PM
    I popped my Z10 in charge before work on the 13th of Feb (04:30), it's now 01:45 on the 14th if Feb and according to BX Battery monitor, I've 60% left.

My useage on the 13th included some heavy internet use on a spoty 3G connection and a 35 minute phone call.
    Is the Z10's battery really as bad as the reviews say?

I'm not planning to charge my BlackBerry 'til it reaches 10%.
    02-13-13 07:51 PM
    I drained my battery and started charging around 4 pm. 9:46 pm and still not charged. Any ideas on charging time?

I popped my Z10 in charge before work on the 13th of Feb (04:30), it's now 01:45 on the 14th if Feb and according to BX Battery monitor, I've 60% left.

My useage on the 13th included some heavy internet use on a spoty 3G connection and a 35 minute phone call.
    Is the Z10's battery really as bad as the reviews say?

I'm not planning to charge my BlackBerry 'til it reaches 10%.
    02-13-13 08:47 PM
    *sigh*

Still clinging to being a hopeless as*hole I see.

Oh well, I hope you enjoyed typing a bunch of trite and unfounded garbage that I didn't read!

19 hours use today and 28% left! I'm so sad I ruined my battery... pity.

Hopefully CB deals swiftly with uppity little trolls!

02-13-13 09:16 PM
    *sigh*

Oh well, I hope you enjoyed typing a bunch of trite and unfounded garbage that I didn't read!

The battery monitor could be wrong - I'll reinstall it and see. Since my last post, I'm down to 45% and I've sent 15 emails, spent an hour in CB10 and 35 minutes playing Super Hexagon.
    I'm now on wi-fi.
    02-13-13 09:20 PM
    today i went down from 100% at 0530Am to 10% at 11:00AM..normal use, no GPS, 30 minutes reading greader, emails, 30 minutes of calls, no wifi, good signal. it still gets warm.
    no auto updates on any apps apart from twitter and weather (got no control of it). so the battery is poor.
    i don't think anyone could stay more than 18 hours on any smartphone with 4" screen with a normal day use on 3g/HSPA..
    02-13-13 10:07 PM
    I drained my battery and started charging around 4 pm. 9:46 pm and still not charged. Any ideas on charging time?
    Thread here on charge time:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...78/index2.html

Seems like 3 hours with the included charger should do it. Certainly after 5:45 it should be fully charged.
    02-13-13 10:39 PM
    *sigh*

-You have used profanity in describing me simply because you are on the losing end of an argument.

Hopefully our exchange benefited some people. You were certainly not alone in your mistaken belief about 'conditioning' lithium ion batteries. Waste of time. Waste of battery life as these deep discharges are hard on the batteries. I am the last one to say don't run your battery flat when it suits your needs. A phone is a tool. Babying it for a few extra months of battery life is not worth it to me. But purposely ramming maximum charge cycles through it out of ignorance... Knowledge is power.

-You have called my arguments, which I believe are representative of the true nature of lithium chemistry batteries and which I linked to supporting resources, "trite and unfounded garbage that I didn't read!". I will ignore the logical fallacy inherent in your statement.

-You hope I, in your words, "an uppity little troll" am dealt with quickly. I stand by my words. I have just pressed the report button regarding your insulting little tantrum.

Good evening Sir.
    02-13-13 11:16 PM
    Does the lightning bolt show? You may want to unplug the micro USB cord from the Z10 and then quickly plug it in. I cant remember where I read this but apparently if you plug it into the Z10 slowly, it sometimes fails to charge.
    02-13-13 11:34 PM
    I have a couple questions/comments:

1) Does anyone have experience charging with an old charger? I have plenty lying around from previous phones but only the one that came with the Z10 actually gets it to 100%. The others usually stop at around 98 or 99. The playbook charger also seemed to do that, however I'm not confident that the rapid charge of the PB charger messed with my battery drain.

2) A previous post mentioned that the playbook charger and the rapid charger are different. I thought they were the same, if someone could clarify.

3) I also just wanted to mention that Battery Guru would, given the popularity of this thread and others like it, be an instant hit on BB World. I'd love to see it for Z10.
    02-14-13 12:36 AM
    Second day of owning the phone. Heres proof of my long battery life. I unplugged it yesterday around 12:00am, approx 3 hours of charging to full from 9:24pm. Woke up this morning and it discharged only 5% overnight. Used it heavily today (multiple calls, one which lasted half an hour, games, downloads, web surfing), and it died at 10:38pm tonight.
    Notice boot time at 9:24 Feb 12th, fully charged by midnight, and 0% at 10:16pm was on Feb 13th. 22hours of on time.
    Z10 Battery Is a Disaster!-img_00000046_zps673301a3.jpg
    deltact likes this.
    02-14-13 01:20 AM
    I also carry a 6600mAh power pack with 2 usb ports. I also have 2 PSVITA portable chargers. They all work with the PlayBook and the z10.
    I carry 2 Mophie Juice Pack Power Stations.
    Oh, the next thing I'm getting is a solar backpack with a large rechargeable battery.
    Lol
    I might do the same. Sounds very reliable to me, all this equipment will be more then fine for going somewhere out of the civilization for an entire life!
    02-14-13 05:16 AM
    Charging time should I my be a few hours, 3.5 max I believe. I don't think BlackBerry gave an official 0-100% charging time. But if you completely kill the battery it'll take longer to recharge.

Also, how are you charging it? Via the wall or a usb port. A usb charge will take forever.

02-14-13 08:09 AM
    this might be tough for me! Im used to my 9700 running 2 or 3 days between a charge if used minimally. (however, games would drain it in 8-12 hours)
    02-14-13 08:41 AM
    this might be tough for me! Im used to my 9700 running 2 or 3 days between a charge if used minimally. (however, games would drain it in 8-12 hours)
    If you got that out of a 9700 then you should be okay on the Z10. Not saying you'll get that on the new BlackBerry. But you'll get a day at least. I was a two battery person on any of my previous BlackBerry smartphones. So I need two on the Z10 as well.

02-14-13 08:54 AM
    Two items of note from the past day...

1.) Turning off Twitter, which also removed those following from contacts, seemed to keep it from warming up in the hour or two following a reboot.
    2.) Charging was stuck at 65%, unplugged, restarted, battery life jumped to 75%. It then drained around 5% an hour instead of the 10-20% in the same discharge range.

I've also noticed a curve where it rapidly drains 50% in the first two hours, then mellows out around 10% an hour. I have a second battery on order to see if that is the root of my issue.
    02-14-13 08:57 AM
    Two items of note from the past day...

1.) Turning off Twitter, which also removed those following from contacts, seemed to keep it from warming up in the hour or two following a reboot.
    2.) Charging was stuck at 65%, unplugged, restarted, battery life jumped to 75%. It then drained around 5% an hour instead of the 10-20% in the same discharge range.

I've also noticed a curve where it rapidly drains 50% in the first two hours, then mellows out around 10% an hour. I have a second battery on order to see if that is the root of my issue.
    How long have you had your Z10? The first week is the worst on battery as the phone does a tone of work on your contacts and forms an Inteligent bond. After that it gets better.

02-14-13 09:02 AM
    I have had my Rogers Z10 for 9 days now. The first few days I had very poor battery life, with a little time and some tweaks I now get 20-24hrs of moderate use.
    1. I have 4 email accounts (3 active sync) + linkedin, twitter and facebook and get between 50-75 messages a day and respond to 20-25 messages from my Z10
    2. Talk about 10-15 minutes on the phone per day and listen to about 15 mins of music
    3. LTE, Wifi and Bluetooth always on.
    4. Screen brightness is set to about 40%
    5. A solid black wallpaper
    6. Disabled Gestures when locked (after brightness I think this is the biggest power saver)
    7. Screen timeout 1 minute
    8. I don't leave many apps running.

I am now very happy with my battery life on my Z10.
    02-14-13 09:50 AM
    Hey Remus, I have conclusively found the causative factor for your reported amazing improvements in battery life.

*sigh*
    19 hours use today and 28% left!
    The above post by you was time stamped at 10:16PM (GMT -5:00)

Currently 3:15 PM, phone has been off charge since 8:10 again.
    7 Hours off charge and I'm at 84%.
    The above post by you was time stamped at 3:13PM (GMT -5:00)

In 7 hours and 3 minutes, you claim that your phone was used for an additional 12 hours.

You appear to have been caught in an obvious lie.

Or perhaps there is another explanation. Relativistic time travel perhaps?

You have lost whatever shred of credibility you had left. As I pointed out previously, unconscious shifts in behavioural patterns to support a mistaken belief is a well known phenomenon. You didn't *necessarily* have to be a liar. Your claim of 12 hour phone use in 7 hours, however, removes all doubt.

The reason for your actions can only be speculated on. I have a few ideas on this matter, but they are less than flattering. Care to enlighten us?

Regardless of your reasons, you have done this community an obvious disservice. You have deliberately misled other members both about their expectation for Z10 battery performance and about the advisability of 'conditioning' Li-ion batteries.
    02-14-13 11:10 AM
307 ... 7891011 ...