Has BB10 corrected the issue of the android player being able to use the bluetooth API? The app I would most like to use is Torque, which connects to an ODB2 dongle via bluetooth. The app runs great on the Playbook, but can't access the bluetooth dongle. I have posted in the dev forums on Blackberry's site about it, over a year ago and not even a "hey that's something we are working on" or "hey we aren't going to do that". Knowing that the android player is newer in BB10, I was hoping someone would test this and report back. I'm in the US and still waiting for VZW to release the Z10, so I have some time to wait anyway. Not that this would be a deal breaker, but it sure would make me that much more excited about getting it if it does work.
    02-27-13 01:14 PM
    Has BB10 corrected the issue of the android player being able to use the bluetooth API? The app I would most like to use is Torque, which connects to an ODB2 dongle via bluetooth. The app runs great on the Playbook, but can't access the bluetooth dongle. I have posted in the dev forums on Blackberry's site about it, over a year ago and not even a "hey that's something we are working on" or "hey we aren't going to do that". Knowing that the android player is newer in BB10, I was hoping someone would test this and report back. I'm in the US and still waiting for VZW to release the Z10, so I have some time to wait anyway. Not that this would be a deal breaker, but it sure would make me that much more excited about getting it if it does work.
    Just ordered my BT1A ODB2 reader...should be getting it soon. I won't be using Torque, but hopefully DashCommand works (similar app). I'll let you know when it's all set up
    02-27-13 02:23 PM
    Just ordered my BT1A ODB2 reader...should be getting it soon. I won't be using Torque, but hopefully DashCommand works (similar app). I'll let you know when it's all set up
    Thanks. I'll keep an eye out for your reply. I haven't tried that app, looks pretty nice though.
    02-27-13 02:34 PM
    I use the GS911 application and device from Hexcode with my BMW motorbikes, it worked perfectly on my Nokia N8. The android app sideloads on the Playbook and the Z10 and all appears to work except it won't make a connection to the GS911 dongle
    02-27-13 03:43 PM
    I had posted a comment on this page yesterday and actually got a response from a Blackberry employee:

"msohm added a comment - 28/Feb/13 8:20 AM
    We cannot support Bluetooth APIs in our current Android Player that is based on Gingerbread because it is not standard APIs in that release.

We are hard at work bringing our Android Player for BlackBerry 10 up Jelly Bean, which includes Bluetooth APIs. Once that is running we will prioritize Bluetooth and other new APIs accordingly."

That appears to be good news. However, it's not available yet, apparently. And even when brought up to Jelly Bean, will not initially support the Bluetooth API. I just hope they don't sit on this...
    rav813 likes this.
    02-28-13 10:36 AM
    Downloaded DashCommand...unfortunately won't launch so got nothin' for you...sorry
    03-01-13 03:41 PM
    Thanks rav813 for trying it. I guess we will just have to wait for BBRY to update the android stuff. Here is the latest post on the developer forum between Ian Hawkins (creator of Torque) and the BBRY employee:

ian added a comment - 03/Mar/13 2:53 AM
    Unfortunately that information is factually incorrect concerning the Bluetooth API.

Bluetooth in Android was introduced in Eclair(API level 5 - Android 2.0) well before Gingerbread (API Level 9, Android 2.3), so the Bluetooth APIs were already present, and standardised well before Gingerbread, contrary to your claim.

I have been in contact with your developer relations team, who also stated in October 2012 that (Quote): "Bluetooth support is one of the API’s we hope to support in the new year so please keep an eye on Android SDK announcements from RIM" - I'm still waiting.

I want to port my app to your platform(Torque) which requires bluetooth SPP support, however I cannot do that if you don't bring in Bluetooth API support. Others want to use the app on your platform (I have regular email correspondance from people asking if I can port it to the playbook or new handsets and have to reply that it is not available as I am waiting on Blackberry to get moving on the API support) so it really is in your interest to get this moving.

msohm added a comment - 04/Mar/13 9:45 AM
    Bluetooth on Gringerbread was limited and not the same standard to what was used in BlackBerry 10. Sorry I wasn't clear on that, I didn't mean to imply that no Bluetooth APIs were available.

Jelly Bean has support for the Bluetooth features available on BlackBerry 10, which is why we are targeting it. It is still planned for this year.

I'm glad to see you're planning to bring Torque to BlackBerry. It's a excellent application.
    03-07-13 08:59 AM
    I'm still waiting for them to send out the playbook/z10 android player update - as soon as it's out then it's a simple case of testing Torque then pushing it out to the app store (it'll take about 3 weeks!!! for blackberry to approve it judging by the time it took them to approve WinterSun)

Ian
    04-11-13 09:56 AM
    So, I have my Z10 now and I guess I will he waiting for 10.1 before I try it again. Sounds like it might finally be the version that fixes this issue.

Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10
    04-18-13 08:13 AM
    Thought I would poke around on the forums for any responses to the Torque app for BB10, glad I did... I downloaded the BAR file for Torque lite (free version) and was about to order the OBDII dongle when I thought I should double check first...

its pretty awesome that the Torque App Dev has already been contacting blackberry to bring his app to BB10, awesome app cant wait to have it
    04-30-13 10:44 AM
    I believe it's not just Android. As near as I can tell through extensive research, there is no SPP Bluetooth programed into BB10/ 10.1 at this time. That is even if these apps were re-written entirely in Cascades/ HTML5; there would be no SPP support. BT4 support is available however.
    05-15-13 05:53 PM
    Can anyone running the 10.2 release that has the Jelly Bean player confirm if the bluetooth API is there?

-Freeze
    07-05-13 04:31 PM
    Hi

It wasn't working in the betas when I tried them (I did feed this back to blackberry, but never heard any progress on it) - I've heard that 10.2 is rolling out to some devices, though I suspect that unfortunately the issue hasn't been resolved. I'm still waiting for 10.2 to hit my devices
    10-26-13 03:55 PM