Right. It isn't flawed. It just doesn't do what you want. Do you have any evidence for the claim, "vast majority of users, besides you, don't "do it" this way"?
    I don't need to give any evidence. It's my "social intuition" and it happens to be a hundred percent correct, which is again my judgement as a human living in this society! LOL.
    04-17-13 02:45 PM
    Well I learned something from this thread. Thanks! LOL!
    04-17-13 03:06 PM
    Well I learned something from this thread. Thanks! LOL!
    So did I.

Nice of BlackBerry to give us multiple ways to add numbers to contacts. Seriously folks, use whatever method you are comfortable with to do this.

People complain that BlackBerry doesn't give you choices and options and when they do, people still complain.... :S

Posted Via CB10 on my Zed10
    04-17-13 03:32 PM
    In the phone app you have 3 tabs at the bottom, Calls/Contacts/Dial Pad. The only way you can add a contact is by (not going to Contacts) but by going to the Dial Pad. Now you'd think all you have to do to add a contact is enter the number and hit the + sign, but that's not quite! After you enter the number and press + you're taken to the contacts list. For what may I ask?! You've already entered the number which you want to save! BlackBerry should really make sure to get the most basic things right first time round or at least within the first few updates.
    There is a LOT of confusion here... :-)

To add a number through the phone app:
    Go to the dialpad so you can enter the number.
    Hit the "Contact+" icon immediately to the right of the number you just entered

You now have to make a big choice!
    A) Press the "New+" button at the lower right to add a brand new contact
    B) choose an existing contact and tap on it to add the number

I think this is actually very well thought out and saves a ton of bouncing around the phone to add a contact.

If an existing contact gives me their office/cell/home number, it's just as easy to add as if it's a completely new contact, and all with a minimum of steps and "button presses".

To reiterate: to add a completely new contact, only two taps are required after entering the phone number...
    04-17-13 04:00 PM
    I don't need to give any evidence. It's my "social intuition" and it happens to be a hundred percent correct, which is again my judgement as a human living in this society! LOL.
    You gotta be French -- Oui? (I'd say UK, except for the syntax).
    04-17-13 04:03 PM
    I agree with you here. This issue was actually pointed out to me by a friend of mine who has an Android and I defended my Z10 like all of you are right now but then a few days a later I did realize "hey it seems we do have a slight problem here". I know it's just a one step difference, but in my mind, it's irritating.

So maybe the system isn't flawed after all. It's just a different approach. However I still don't like the approach because the vast majority of users, besides you, don't "do it" this way.
    I can see why you would find it irritating. But I honestly don't think it is flawed. I have always added my new contacts by the dial pad and really did not notice that it was an extra step until this thread.
    I hope that the irritation soon passes

Posted via CB10
    04-17-13 04:42 PM
    Your intelligence isn't too good either! Of course I'll want to add a contact name. That's obviously what I'd want to do, but it's not the next step to come in and it's why I say the system is flawed. A contact list is what comes in next in case you want to add the number to an existing contact. When I want to save something from the dial pad, 99 times out 100 it's a new contact from scratch. And this applies to everyone, even to you. When someone wants to add a phone number to an existing contact, you'd normally go to the Contacts app and edit it there, not do it through the dial pad.
    Getting a bit personal aren't we? I can descend to your level, but I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed person.
    04-17-13 05:36 PM
    I must be missing something...If you enter a number from the dialpad, hit the add contact icon next to it, you end up in contacts with an add contact icon at the bottom of the screen. Isn't this what we want? The ability to add a new contact with the phone asking you to verify that is the operation you want to execute?
    duckduke likes this.
    04-17-13 05:55 PM
    I have used nothing but Android since they first came out and do not find this to be an issue, counter-intuitive nor a violation of the natural order of the universe.
    John Pawling likes this.
    04-17-13 06:01 PM
    erniel, how many times does a person add a phone number to an "existing contact"? When people save a number through the dial pad, they are looking to add a new contact FROM FRESH 99.99%, not add to an "existing contact". When people want to add something to an "existing contact" they NORMALLY GO TO THE CONTACTS APP, SEARCH FOR THE CONTACT NAME, HIT EDIT AND THEN ADD THE NUMBER TO THAT CONTACT. They don't go wanting to add a phone number to an existing contact from the dial pad, sorry erniel.
    Point taken. Its all about expectation. BB probably is still feeling the need of the many and update Accordingly. As dor me if works (for now since i add a lot of number because i lost half of my contact list) because MAJORITY of people here in my country have at least two phone a lot of times three. Plus i sometines add there landline number or bussiness number.

Z10 STL100-2
    04-17-13 08:19 PM
    Maybe the thread tittle should be changed to
    "I didn't know how to add a contact, but now I do"

Posted via CB10
    Ha ha ha ha....

Posted via CB10
    04-17-13 10:57 PM
    Yes, EVENTUALLY. But when people add a contact through the dial pad, they are normally looking to add something new each time, not add to an existing contact. Therefore, after entering in the number on the dial pad and hitting + people should be taken straight to "add new".

When people want to add a number to an existing contact, they almost always do it by going to Contacts and editing the contact they want to add the number to. Saving from the dial pad virtually means "new".
    I add numbers to existing contacts quiet often... I call the contacts home - he isn't there - his wife gives me his cell # - I call it - when I am done I add it to "existing Contact" simple!

Posted via CB10
    04-17-13 11:16 PM
    I must be missing something...If you enter a number from the dialpad, hit the add contact icon next to it, you end up in contacts with an add contact icon at the bottom of the screen. Isn't this what we want? The ability to add a new contact with the phone asking you to verify that is the operation you want to execute?
    The add contact button has been there the whole time this thread has been going and I think raw_dog above is the first person that mentioned it.

In the pic below:
    See the icon with the + to the right of where it reads "Enter Number"
    Z10 "Add Contact" is Flawed-img_00000026.jpg

Click the icon anytime while entering a # to add a contact.

So much for the "Flaw"

Maybe we should all to better job of learning to operate the Z10 before we label threads with "Flaw" "Bug" "I've had enough" etc etc. etc.
    04-18-13 12:19 AM
    Hmm, I respect that this is the "way it should be done" in your mind but really duckduke, all that hassle to add a contact? You mean to literally dial the contact and then go back to call log and save it from there? That's total ad hoc! It's not the proper way to add a contact. It's just a way around.
    So why dont you just go to Contacts and press the bust at bottom with a "+" sign on it ? That is the way to add a contact you are talking about is it not ?

Dont be a hater just because you dont know how to properly use the phone.
    John Pawling likes this.
    04-18-13 12:23 AM
39 12