Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!

View Poll Results: What device are you coming from?

Voters
500. You may not vote on this poll
  • Another Blackberry device

271 54.20%
  • Android

105 21.00%
  • iOS

103 20.60%
  • Windows

21 4.20%
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree74Likes
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,033 Global Posts

Default Are you leaving an Android or iOS device for this?

I'm still undecided. I don't hate or despise anything on my iPhone 5. It works well and does everything I need it to do at this time. But... I have a soft spot for blackberry and I'm always looking for a reason to switch back. The z10 doesn't seem to offer enough for me to drop my current touchscreen phone. However - I am very interested in the q10. After using touchscreen phones I've come to realize that I prefer a keyboard.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    234 Global Posts

Going from the 9780 to the Z10. I have had many friends, and family, saying sticking with BlackBerry is a bad choice. Those people are using iOS and Android. Seems like they lost all faith in BlackBerry and what its capable of. I am determined to get the Z10 in a few days and prove them all wrong.
    scrapmetal58 and R Field like this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    467 Global Posts

The hub and the easy at being able to handle almost all my comms with my thumb and not reloading things made me fall in love with this device when I first saw it and used it.

I am an iPhone user.. and would consider dropping the iPhone, but only when there are a couple of key apps that I use daily.. until then I won't be able to as much as I would love to.

That said.. the number of times I've been using my iPhone and tried to swipe out of things and found myself getting annoyed that I now have to press a button to get home and load an app makes me think BlackBerry have done something clever there.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,676 Global Posts
    PIN
    24BECF0C

i had a lot of phone int he past then went on blackberry storm for the first time and only used it one year cause it was always freezing up it broke..I did love the blackberry but just not enough so i went with android then iphone 3. Used it for a few months, was no good for business so sold it and i went with blackberry 9700. Cause the key pad was to small i hated it couldn't type fast enough so i went with htc android full touch screen used it for 2 years then gave it to my wife and went with iphone 4s which i still have and put it back to his box for resale..before christmas i heard about windows phone and i wanted to go with it then i decided to wait to see what peoples would say about it. I am glad I did cause it turn out to no good. Now with the blackberry Z10 it is the way to go and I pre-order mine from telus.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    224 Global Posts

Default Re: Are you leaving an Android or iOS device for this?

I might leave my Droid Incredible 2 for the black q10 on Verizon. It all depends on the reviews.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    224 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lorax1284 View Post
    JB is laggy on my Tegra 3 devices, kind of inexcusable.

You make a direct connection between number of OS releases with efficiency of the code, which is a totally unfounded relationship. iOS and Android code can't be optimized enough to catch BB10 without the kind of rearchitecting that would render them nothing like iOS and Android.

No, not a fact at all. The ony fact is that if BB didn't have high specs on the device people (people kind of like you I think) would dismiss it out of hand, rather than even look at it. BBs specs are great for its OS, and there are new devices on the horizon from BB that match that which Samsung has leaked.

I'm sure when the 8 megapixel camera is working, it is using 100% of the system's resources... and taking the picture is using 100% of your resources, so it's a good fit.

Previously in this thread, you were Jekyll, now you've gone all "Hyde". Relax.
    As I said I would love to return to blackberry. The 9700 is listed as my 2nd favorite phone I have ever owned.

That being said I find it difficult to believe as many of you do, that BB will go from bottom of the list to top of the charts in one OS update.

There is a reason why myself and tons of BB users left for other devices. Because the features we wanted were not there. Now BB has added the features I left for what 2 years later? And its being looked at as a major innovation. BB10 is 2 years to late.

No lag on my razr maxx or galaxy nexus with JB so maybe you should find out why yours is lagging.

Furthermore I am entitled to my opinion and will voice it on these forms just as I respect listen and enjoy other peoples opinions and information. Please have a discussion with me counter me ect. But just because you do not agree with it don't go off about being to defensive relax blah blah. You are defending BB just as hard as I am Android, so you relax too then.

Sent from my Droid Razr Maxx!!
    CrackBerry User

Samsung S3 to Z10! I am getting bored with my S3. The Z10 looks really cool and it is more secure with the Work/Personal! Seems like a great phone.
    CrackBerry User

9810 to BB 10
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    350 Global Posts

I'm seriously considering a Z10. I switched away from BlackBerry about a year ago. I was upset at how the PlayBook had been released as little more than a beta device with a lot of (still) missing features that were promised leading up to its release. I found that my SGS2 was good, but had terrible battery life and my SGS3 was better, but still has terrible battery life. By the looks of things, the Z10 won't have much better battery than the S3 though.

I have a few concerns about the Z10 though. The PlayBook is a great device with great hardware, but BlackBerry rushed it to market with incomplete software. I know that they felt they needed to get into the emerging tablet market fast, but the PlayBook is still missing expected features from a BlackBerry device like BBM. The mail app takes time to load up, which doesn't make a lot of sense to me. On any of my BBOS 4/5/6/7 devices email loaded instantly. It's very annoying to open up the email client when it makes me wait up to 10 seconds for me to be able to see my email. I'm guessing that they've addressed this issue with BB10 though.

Another major concern I have is the keyboard. I really like the way the keyboard works, but one of the great things about Android is that if I don't like the keyboard, I can switch it to a different one. I'm currently running SwiftKey Flow and can't imagine that the BlackBerry keyboard will be able to beat it's efficiency.

That all said, I really miss BBM and it's delivered / read notifications. I also really, REALLY miss the unified inbox that BlackBerry provides. Having an OS that I know is capable of multitasking, combined with BBM and the unified inbox really appeals to me. I'm just not sure that it appeals to me enough to give up some of the advantages that Android gives me.

What I'll probably end up doing is waiting to see what BB10 looks like on the PlayBook. Hopefully the rumours of it being released by the end of February are true. At that point I'll be able to evaluate the OS without having to pay $600 for it.

I really wish BlackBerry luck with regaining their position in the market. I hope that they continue to develop BB10 to improve the experience for people. I also hope that they don't abandon older devices as they did on the old platform. If they can show their users that they are ever improving, then I think they'll have a really good chance of creating buzz around their products again.

7520 > 9000 > 9800 > PlayBook > 9810 > SGS2 LTE > SGS3 > Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 > Z10?
    BlackBerry Torch 9810 - 7.1.0.190
    BlackBerry PlayBook 32GB - 2.0.0.6149
    CrackBerry User

I have had my iPhone 3GS for a little over three years now and I am happy to say that it has served its purpose in keeping me connected to the world but I must bid it farewell. I must unplug it and let it rest in piece. We had some good times together, took wonderful pictures together, been to a lot of different places together but my needs are not met with the 3GS and so, It's farewell.
    I might hold a funeral for the 3GS come tuesday when I pick up my new partner. We'll just have to wait and see.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    467 Global Posts

You right in what you say.. the features that were required on the platform are very late, and I would say more than 2 years, they should have been first with them. However I think the problem was with ML, and once he was ousted the thinking changed and realisation could be made. The fact it has taken 2 years to develop and not rushed out, is in itself a change from before where they would chuck out new versions all the time full of sometimes major bugs, and there were so many different versions for carriers to test, which just made the whole thing stupid.

I'd rather they delayed it as they did to get it right and release a product that was as stable as they could make it than repeat their previous mistakes. Now, its in the hand of the consumers and enterprises to see if they can get them back.

From an enterprise point, the features of this device, still beat those from all of the other handsets because BlackBerry still have some trumps in their security. Microsoft was the only real contender to steal that crown, but they've cocked that up too so I am very hopeful with this, so much so that I am investing in them again.. price is low at the moment, but I think as the Q comes out and it launches in more countries with more apps, and with the enterprise feature set.

Everyone in the office who moved away from or still have an existing BlackBerry when showed the Z10 immediately said they wanted one again or to swap.. thats a good sign
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Z10 Away! - Feel free to thank or like any post* that has helped (or hindered)

*My postings & comments are my opinion alone, and are not representative of any other company or organisation.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    5,578 Global Posts
    PIN
    2AC9A2F5

Maybe not this month or next, but I will be returning to BB.
    Posted using my device of choice. May or may not be a BlackBerry.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    591 Global Posts

I am due for an upgrade in a little over a month, so I looking forward to read real world reports on the Z10 during that time. I do like the look of it. I have had an iPhone 4 since they came out, and it's really performed great for though. It's been over 6 months since I even had to restart it. I have a few work related and personal apps on it I really like. But, being that I will be into another contract, I am interested in trying something new out. It's just a case of what the something new would be. I have some friends who seem to love their SIII's.
    CrackBerry Addict

PIN
    50251ACB

Android with HTC sensation for Z10 already sorted. I like the Z10 alot. It has lots going for it. Minor software issues are easily fixed in an update, but the issues do seem minor at the moment. I like the USB mass storage on this phone, was something I used most days on Android
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    57 Global Posts

After years of iPhone i need something new to try...Android and Windows Phone aren't an alternative for me, consequently there is only BB 10 left. So i will give it a try (but my Apple device will still be in the drawer^^)
    CrackBerry Master

I understand some posters concerns about certain (minor?) shortcomings in this fledgling OS, but it is certainly WAY more ready than the PlayBook ever was when it first launched! This is the reason that, in a couple of days, I will retire my trusty 9800 and going for a TROOPER
    9000 > 9800 and now BB Z10 and 32GB PlayBook glued to my person!
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    72 Global Posts

Hi:

Had a BB9700. It was my 1st smartphone.

Left almost 2 yrs. ago when I switched to a SGS2. After switching found the email client to be inferior. SGS2 didn't come with voice dialing built in. You have to get a app to do what came built-in with my old BB and the apps have to have too many permissions to operate. I don't like giving strangers complete control over my phone.

Contract is up in December but i can upgrade in June.

Gonna wait & watch until June to see if BB can develop the apps world into a world class entity.

If they can do it, I'll definitely come home.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    591 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jvictor77 View Post
    I understand some posters concerns about certain (minor?) shortcomings in this fledgling OS, but it is certainly WAY more ready than the PlayBook ever was when it first launched! This is the reason that, in a couple of days, I will retire my trusty 9800 and going for a TROOPER
    That's why I didn't buy a Playbook right when it was released though lol. I appreciate there will be issues with an OS's first release, but I use my phone for work, and I will be going from something that has worked very well for me for a few years to an unkown. So I don't really have a choice but to have high expectations of it and be hesitant. I have a month to watch and see how things go, so I am going to do that.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Global Posts
    8 Global Posts

I'm a die hard Android and Google fan, but I'm bored of Android and want to try something different (that isn't iOS). Coming from a Galaxy Nexus to a Z10. I've never owned a Blackberry device before but the Z10 and BB10 have piqued my interest.

I have reservations though, such as how well Gmail, Google Calendar, contacts, and Talk integrate with BB10. I'm still doing research on those aspects (if anyone can shed light on how well each Google function integrates into BB10 it'd be much appreciated!).
    CrackBerry Newbie

Ditching my GS3 for a Z10 (already bought one) have never owned a blackberry before and am trying to get to grips with things like BBM but i'm really liking the wireless file transfer and the smooth operation of the BB10 os, just need netflix,ebay app and crunchyroll and i'll be set
    CrackBerry Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by cametall View Post
    I'm a die hard Android and Google fan, but I'm bored of Android and want to try something different (that isn't iOS). Coming from a Galaxy Nexus to a Z10. I've never owned a Blackberry device before but the Z10 and BB10 have piqued my interest.

I have reservations though, such as how well Gmail, Google Calendar, contacts, and Talk integrate with BB10. I'm still doing research on those aspects (if anyone can shed light on how well each Google function integrates into BB10 it'd be much appreciated!).
    I am also switching from android to BB10, must admit gmail works fine but not figured out how to use google contacts or calendar yet whereas my yahoo stuff worked flawlessly if anyone knows how to use google contacts in BB10 i would like to know too as its not looking good so far
    CrackBerry User

Default Are you leaving an Android or iOS device for this?

Quote Originally Posted by Polywog View Post
    Equal how? Just because of hardware comparison? All things aren't equal here - BB10 OS may be far and away more efficient than Android and only needs the hardware they are releasing with to deliver a great user experience. That is far more important than number crunching.
    I totally agree with you. The latest and greatest hardware does not always translate into good user experience. It is the optimized combination of both software and hardware. Yesterday I read a hardware comparison of the Nexus 4 and BlackBerry Z10 and I was surprised to know though the Nexus has a bigger screen, and a quad core processor, but it does not support LTE. It has a 4.7 inch screen but yet the pixel density is much lower than the new BB Z10 that is supposed to be behind the competition. All this talk about superior Android devices based on hardware specs in absolutely ridiculous in my opinion. The average user does not care about top of the line hardware specs. The experience is what draws consumers.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    282 Global Posts
    PIN
    331404b2

iphone 4s and comong back home to BB10 Q10.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    112 Global Posts

Bold 9700 --> Torch 9800 --> Torch 9810 --> iPhone 4S --> Z10
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    160 Global Posts

After waiting for the official announcement last week and a better idea of when it would be available here in the US I decided to go ahead and list my iPhone 5 on eBay today. Within an hour it sold and now i'm rocking my old Bold 9650 patiently awaiting the Z10 US release!
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast