+1 for the drawing, finally some originality in the forum

Posted via CB10
    05-21-13 10:39 PM
    I am a Rogers customer. Never had a problem until the latest OS upgrade. Now my phone reboots a few times each night, whether plugged in or not. My wife has the exact same model, OS, etc., and not a problem.

"So It Goes"
    05-21-13 10:54 PM
    I am on dutch carrier KPN and was one of the first with a Z10 here. I was running officially released SW from the carrier . Did not encounter any reboots until a week ago. No new SW or accounts have been added to the phone since before that and these reboots happened several times a day. There are also no fancy apps installed, only whatsup. Yesterday I manually updated to 10.1.0.1880 because the carrier still hasn't release the 10.1 update offcially. Reboots still present.
    So these reboots have nothing to do with carrier problems and they are not limited to teh North America users only
    05-21-13 11:16 PM
    Osnap

This is getting exciting.

~STV
    And for the record, I folded the bit of paper so not only is the battery being pressed IN, the battery door is also pressing it DOWN

Posted via CB10
    05-21-13 11:21 PM
    Wasn't there just an announcement that the issue is caused by 2 separate issues in different versions of the software?

Posted via CB10
    Who / what / when / where

~STV
    05-22-13 02:13 AM
    Look at kevins poll update...
    05-22-13 02:57 AM
    Good thinking. It could work. I hope everyone who has this problem tries it.
    05-22-13 07:24 AM
    So I was cooling my battery down via an ac vent when I noticed the wrapper on my battery was a little more bubbled out than the rest of the battery. Keep in mind that as of the time I'm sending this, I've never experienced a random reboot, but what I'm saying is going to click and hopefully make sense.

I got home and pulled out the calipers to do some measuring, and this is what I found.

Attachment 163919

What this is telling me is that there is enough of a gap, that if this battery were to expand and shrink, even just a little, it could cause the 1 or more of the 4 contacts be just out of reach for even a split second, causing a lack of power, thus causing the reboot.

My solution is going to be a relatively easy and cheap one.

Remove your battery cover and push upward on the battery, toward the camera lens, and wedge a small strip of paper or cardboard, just enough to ensure total contact with the 4 pins.

Again, this is ONLY A THEORY and will need someone to test it, as I've yet to have a reboot, but what I'm saying makes sense to me and my brother.

I've seen many threads with ideas on the cause, but nobody comes up with any attempt at a solution. I'm also willing to try someone's battery that is having reboots. I would flux and solder conductive shims on the battery contacts and put it in my phone.

Posted via CB10
    I think you touched a good point. From the diagnosis it must be something with the battery losing contact.
    No software (several releases didn't solve it), no hardware (it seems to be working perfectly)
    BB should hire you!
    Let's see in the next 72 hours
    05-22-13 08:05 AM
    This is some nice out of the box thinking. Great theory!
    05-22-13 08:08 AM
    Wedge a small strip of paper or cardboard? Wouldn't that cause fire? The inside gets hot.

It's kinda funny that for a 600 device that a solution like this is needed even if it works.

Posted via CB10
    The inside won't get hot enough to burn paper. A paper fire would be the least of your concerns if the phone got hot enough to start it on fire.
    05-22-13 08:29 AM
    Sounds good but the battery losing contact would shut the phone off and reboot right away. The reboots i have happen after the phone freezes for several seconds, unresponsive to any gesture i make it then reboots on its on. Has happened while in various apps and even while idle, charging or not. My wifes Z10 is the same way but occurs a little more frequent than mine. Phones were bought at the same time at verizon, running verizon's official OS.
    Last edited by Gunsmoke_12; 05-22-13 at 08:31 AM. Reason: spelling
    agp101 likes this.
    05-22-13 08:30 AM
    Just to be nitpicky: This isn't a theory; it's a hypothesis.
    05-22-13 09:25 AM
    Sounds good but the battery losing contact would shut the phone off and reboot right away. The reboots i have happen after the phone freezes for several seconds, unresponsive to any gesture i make it then reboots on its on. Has happened while in various apps and even while idle, charging or not. My wifes Z10 is the same way but occurs a little more frequent than mine. Phones were bought at the same time at verizon, running verizon's official OS.
    True.

~STV
    05-22-13 11:54 AM
    So followed what Radeon suggested, and so far, no reboots. However, thats not the definitive answer yet, because I did something else too: I removed my case when I inserted the shim into my battery area.

So far, so good. After today, if not reboots (would be two in a row), then I will put the case back on and see if it still does.

Thanks for the suggestion, Radeon, you da man!
    05-23-13 08:19 AM
    In all fairness, this was proposed before, and no I'm not sure which forum -- but the OP was righteously flipped off. As I said this was also proposed as a cure for a similar issue on Moto Defy. I never had the problem and rarely now. I suppose we can now have a poll based on where our batteries were manufactured?
    05-23-13 09:08 AM
    So followed what Radeon suggested, and so far, no reboots. However, thats not the definitive answer yet, because I did something else too: I removed my case when I inserted the shim into my battery area.

So far, so good. After today, if not reboots (would be two in a row), then I will put the case back on and see if it still does.

Thanks for the suggestion, Radeon, you da man!
    So removing the case prevented more reboots so far? Now I think about it, my random reboots started about a week after I received my case. Not exactly right that moment but it could be involved. Let me know how it goes when you use the case again!

Posted via CB10
    05-23-13 09:12 AM
    Shimming the battery in my old Canon S50 quite a few years back solved a problem as well. The auto focus mechanism got stuck and acted like it lost power. Being the self fixer, cheap person I am I tried the shimming with paper method and it solved the problem.
    05-23-13 10:21 AM
    Yeah I also went through a period when I was associating reboots with a new case. But then my (infrequent) reboots dropped to near zero anyway. Currently using the BBerry leather case with magnet. No issues. If those who have shimmed their batteries continue to have no reboots for a significant period, would please report back, that'll be great.
    05-23-13 10:21 AM
    One other key component of the process is to disable "Allow gesture when it is locked". I used to have it in my pants and in my jacket and it unvolunarily opened camera or other applications causing probably the over heating of the battery and the reboot. Right now I need to push the upper button to get it working. Also battery life benefited from this.
    05-23-13 11:45 AM
    the battery-shim trick also fixed a random shut-down (and reboot) issue on an old Panasonic home handset that would cut out mid-sentence if you moved your head or got bumped somehow. Turns out the battery connectors weren't "springy" enough to engage the terminals as the "loose-fitting" battery shifted during movements.

What the OP has in effect stated is that a hot battery loses contact by expanding away from the contacts; BUT the battery would actually expand equally in ALL directions as it heats up, including TOWARD the contacts, thereby actually increasing its contact pressure on the terminals.

SO: a loose-fitting battery that expands due to heating up "should" actually retain contact with the phone's battery contacts because - recalling laws of physics here - it would become more tightly wedged into its bay due to its larger size during the heat-cycle. This, of course, presumes that the battery-bay casing remains cooler than the battery and, itself, expands less (also, in all directions, thereby becoming larger) than the battery itself.
    Same idea behind running a tight-fitting jar's LID under hot water ... the heat expands the lid quickly while the jar remains cool/er, thus causing it to loosen. In this analogy, though, the jar is the battery and the lid is the case/battery bay; in other words, if the jar were to be heated up and the lid remains cool, it would actually become an even tighter fit.

HOWEVER - here IS a possible related theory: ... HEAT directly AND significantly affects the ELECTRICAL PROPERTIES and OUTPUT of any battery (power output should drop measurably when hot) and IF this "heating up of the battery" can be (directly) correlated to the reboot issue, THEN you may be onto something.

There are people out there with more knowledge and ability to test/measure this than I am ... I just "get" (the theoretical) physics behind it.

Any other battery-contact issues, such as "fit" in the battery bay, are simply a manufacturing, tolerance & spec, and/or a QA problem.

Geeks among us: fire up your Multimeters and thermometers, and start charging batteries ... let's see if this is related somehow!

Cheers & Keep Moving!
    05-23-13 12:04 PM
    My solution is going to be a relatively easy and cheap one.

Remove your battery cover and push upward on the battery, toward the camera lens, and wedge a small strip of paper or cardboard, just enough to ensure total contact with the 4 pins.
    [...]

I've seen many threads with ideas on the cause, but nobody comes up with any attempt at a solution. I'm also willing to try someone's battery that is having reboots. I would flux and solder conductive shims on the battery contacts and put it in my phone.

Sorry to disappoint, but see item #10 under "Hardware" below:

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...eryone-801750/
    05-23-13 02:49 PM
71 123