As a regular international traveller I'm getting somewhat terrified by all of the threads from Z10 owners whose data usage has gone through the roof despite similar usage after upgrading from the old BBOS. If anyone could share their experiences of real life ordinary business use of a Z10 whilst roaming overseas it would be welcomed!
    02-19-13 05:35 AM
    I've been thinking about this too. I live in Canada but travel to the US from time to time. On my 9900 I could buy a 20MB data pack and would have no worries that it would be enough for at least a few days.... not so anymore! The Z10 could consume 20 MB for lunch!
    02-19-13 06:47 AM
    Travelled from UK hit �20 data limit within 30 min of landing.
    02-19-13 06:57 AM
    Same concern here. I will use my 9900 when going to USA. Unless I can find a decent USA prepaid plan I can use. Tmobile may be the answer.
    02-19-13 07:22 AM
    Same concern here. I will use my 9900 when going to USA. Unless I can find a decent USA prepaid plan I can use. Tmobile may be the answer.
    I will have to keep my 9900, get it unlocked, and go for local sim abroad. I am certainly unhappy about losing data compression. Leaves me with no good reason to use my BB at all; I'm just using my SGIII more and more. (Guess there are some who would find me silly.)
    03-02-13 05:57 PM
    I will have to keep my 9900, get it unlocked, and go for local sim abroad. I am certainly unhappy about losing data compression. Leaves me with no good reason to use my BB at all; I'm just using my SGIII more and more. (Guess there are some who would find me silly.)
    I'm apparently silly as well, mind if I join the club?
    03-02-13 06:05 PM
    I'm apparently silly as well, mind if I join the club?
    C'mon over!!!! The water's fine!!!!! I'll even take some pics of our nachos and post them on Instagram!!!!
    03-02-13 06:15 PM
    C'mon over!!!! The water's fine!!!!! I'll even take some pics of our nachos and post them on Instagram!!!!
    I'll bring the nickelback music!
    03-03-13 09:09 AM
    If you travel you should get an unlocked Z10. There's a very good reason for this; Once upon a time your BB was tied to an account that had BB services attached to it. Now with BB10 you don't need this added, so any local SIM with data will be enough to keep you moving. So land, pick up a local SIM with data and forward all calls from you home SIM to the local one.

Job done.
    zeteo likes this.
    03-03-13 09:18 AM
    Well Blackberry. My unlimited global roaming package is now useless as it is replaced with a 20MB roaming allowance per months with BB10. That's a laugh. How hard would it have been to give the customer the option to use BIS while travelling? Such a lost opportunity, a unique selling point.
    03-03-13 09:18 AM
    Well Blackberry. My unlimited global roaming package is now useless as it is replaced with a 20MB roaming allowance per months with BB10. That's a laugh. How hard would it have been to give the customer the option to use BIS while travelling? Such a lost opportunity, a unique selling point.
    Sounds more like a carrier issue...
    03-03-13 09:29 AM
    I've been thinking about this for some time. There are a number of members here on CB complaining about the loss of BIS and suggesting they aren't going to BB10 because of it. Of course, the silly ones say they are going to Android, which makes the least sense of all. Strangely, almost no one says they are going to iPhone.

From BlackBerry's perspective it makes no financial sense to continue running BIS.
    Nice summary - put me in the category of folks complaining. This is a largely invisible issue to most people, but a real problem for frequent international travelers, or for people on capped/throttled plans. I'm a member of both groups.

When the day comes that I have to upgrade to BB10, I think I will be stuck buying a local sim like most folks. It is however, more of a hassle than what I've done in the past with T-mo.

IMO, the carriers strategy is to get enveryone hooked on 'unlimited' data, and then replace those plans with new throttled/tiered/capped plans.
    03-03-13 10:24 AM
    Just curious what buying a local SIM abroad with a 9900 buys you over a Z10 or even a GS3? The reason is, based on my understand, for a BBOS they don't deal with SIM swaps to well, and from what I have read prepaid BIS plans are hard to find. At least with the Z10 you don't need to buy a BIS plan and you would still be able to use BBM and however much data is on the SIM. I'm disappointed in BIS being gone too, because I didn't have to swap SIM ever and got unlimited e-mail, web and BBM when travelling abroad for a low fee. Would love to still have that with BB10. Now I'll have to buy local prepaid SIMs, but at least I will still get BBM with anything SIM that has data. Only issue would be countries with restricted Internet where BIS drilled right through. Not saying your wrong, just want to see if I'm missing something with how I viewed SIM swapping since I've never had to do it for travel with BIS.
    03-03-13 01:26 PM
    I travel within Europe, UK, Spain and Belgium, I have a contract with Vodafone UK, unlimited calls, text and 2gb download pet month, I pay 3 a day in another country (Europe) only the days I connect and I can use my UK data plan. In 2 weeks I haven't used 300mb but then I font have 4G yet, maybe if I did my data usage would go through the roof.

Posted via CB10
    03-03-13 01:40 PM
    @dividebyzero

Yes carriers were able to offer good roaming packages utilizing the bis costs as they were unified from BlackBerry. Now that the phone doesn't use the bis anymore it has list this feature.

So it was a good deal for us globetrotters based in the UAE. Not anymore

Posted via CB10
    03-03-13 02:30 PM
    Just curious what buying a local SIM abroad with a 9900 buys you over a Z10 or even a GS3? The reason is, based on my understand, for a BBOS they don't deal with SIM swaps to well, and from what I have read prepaid BIS plans are hard to find. At least with the Z10 you don't need to buy a BIS plan and you would still be able to use BBM and however much data is on the SIM. I'm disappointed in BIS being gone too, because I didn't have to swap SIM ever and got unlimited e-mail, web and BBM when travelling abroad for a low fee. Would love to still have that with BB10. Now I'll have to buy local prepaid SIMs, but at least I will still get BBM with anything SIM that has data. Only issue would be countries with restricted Internet where BIS drilled right through. Not saying your wrong, just want to see if I'm missing something with how I viewed SIM swapping since I've never had to do it for travel with BIS.
    Don't know yet. This will be my first time abroad with the SGIII and I haven't got aZ10 yet.
    What I was referring to is that would rather have my 9900 for international travel than to take aZ10 which removes one of the key features of BB for me, which is data compression. At that point there would be no difference between a z10 and my SGIII.

Sent from my SEXY HOT RED SGIII using Tapatalk 2
    03-04-13 06:49 AM
    Sounds like BIS compressed a lot more than what I heard on here before.
    03-04-13 07:41 AM
    Sounds like BIS compressed a lot more than what I heard on here before.
    It wasn't just compression, the BIS actually talks to your mail servers, and only pushes out mail when you have it. Didn't matter if it was POP, IMAP, OWA, etc., so even without compression that saves you having to poll those accounts which saves data. Compression was being able to be used less and less for web content due to the compression already done on video and audio, but compression is only just a part of BIS. Also when I travelled to Beijing, every time you tried to go to Google on hotel Internet, you would get redirected to Chinese version, and get redirected for a lot of sites, but with BlackBerry BIS my data was encrypted back to the US, and essentially sourced from the US so I could get real Internet, not what the Great Firewall wanted me to see!
    kbz1960 likes this.
    03-04-13 08:08 AM
    Yes it did.
    It was one of the best things about BIS.

Sent from my SEXY HOT RED SGIII using Tapatalk 2
    03-04-13 08:20 AM
    It wasn't just compression, the BIS actually talks to your mail servers, and only pushes out mail when you have it. Didn't matter if it was POP, IMAP, OWA, etc., so even without compression that saves you having to poll those accounts which saves data. Compression was being able to be used less and less for web content due to the compression already done on video and audio, but compression is only just a part of BIS. Also when I travelled to Beijing, every time you tried to go to Google on hotel Internet, you would get redirected to Chinese version, and get redirected for a lot of sites, but with BlackBerry BIS my data was encrypted back to the US, and essentially sourced from the US so I could get real Internet, not what the Great Firewall wanted me to see!
    How much data can polling for mail be? In the kb, mb range? I would think kb range.
    03-04-13 08:24 AM
    Just upgraded to the z10 and my carrier neglected to mention that my roaming data was no longer 'unlimited'. Within a week of going abroad I had a warning that my data usage was abnormal (and my roaming use is modest: email, BBM, facebook updates and maps). Realising something was up, I switched back to my 9780. Without BIS I will skip BB10 as data roaming charges are quite frankly a rip-off. I may have to buy a 9900 and forever be a laggard. BlackBerry have a nice product with the z10, but my usage just doesn't fit their iPhone target market.
    03-18-13 12:35 PM
    My experience with BB10 is really a bad one. I sold my Z10 after two weeks. As a business traveler like most others who use BB to keep ourselves connected on emails, BB10 has no advantage over iphone or android or windows phone. In the past with my BB9900 I only need 20MB fro roaming and thus bought inexpensive data roaming plan. With Z10 you will incur high roaming charges. To make it worst, BB10 looks like unfinished. Many nice and efficient features from older BB OS are missing. Copy & paste from contact and dial pad. Dial pad direct search from keypad. Many of these features really make us efficient with our BB. But BB10 though nice UI which one will loose interest after a week or so really missing a lot of necessary features where one could easily find in more mature OS like IOS and Android.

Sorry BB10 and bye! Going back to my old trusted BB9900!!!!
    03-23-13 03:29 AM