Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 20 of 20
Like Tree9Likes
  • 2 Post By FrankIAm
  • 2 Post By SDTRMG
  • 1 Post By SDTRMG
  • 1 Post By FrankIAm
  • 1 Post By nathan62969
  • 1 Post By HofstraJet
  • 1 Post By syclone1978
  1. nathan62969's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    173 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

    Default Word Substitution ... substitution?

    Regrettably found another feature not supported with the Z10 -- the super awesome Word Substitution feature in 7.0.

    That feature where you can substitute a few letters (as in "nyc") for an entire word ("new york city")..

    I DO love the vastly improved word prediction feature, but I do still find myself now spending more time typing out longer words/phrases than before with the Word Substitution feature on 7.0.

    Or am I missing some feature??
  2. FrankIAm's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    4,308 Posts
    PIN
    288986cf
    #2  

    Default

    Yes, you are missing something.
    It's under language and input > automated assistance > word substitution.

    Have a nice day!

    Word Substitution ... substitution?-img_00000049.png
    Thanked by:
    pandapurple (03-25-2013) 
    YYZ_AKS and Arinn Jamal like this.
  3. SDTRMG's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    2,113 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,119 Global Posts
    #3  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nathan62969 View Post
    Regrettably found another feature not supported with the Z10 -- the super awesome Word Substitution feature in 7.0.

    That feature where you can substitute a few letters (as in "nyc") for an entire word ("new york city")..

    I DO love the vastly improved word prediction feature, but I do still find myself now spending more time typing out longer words/phrases than before with the Word Substitution feature on 7.0.

    Or am I missing some feature??
    This feature is still there you go to settings, language and input, then automated assistance, and word prediction is at the top.
    Word Substitution ... substitution?-img_00000214.png

    Posted via CB10
    FrankIAm and YYZ_AKS like this.
  4. SDTRMG's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    2,113 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,119 Global Posts
    #4  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FrankIAm View Post
    Yes, you are missing something.
    It's under language and input > automated assistance > word substitution.

    Have a nice day!

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_00000049.png 
Views:	1012 
Size:	85.8 KB 
ID:	143744
    Beat me to it lol


    Posted via CB10
    Onna808 likes this.
  5. pandapurple's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,115 Posts
    #5  

    Default

    You need to spend more time with your phone settings.
  6. cuek80's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    356 Posts
    Global Posts
    437 Global Posts
    #6  

    Default

    fyi, from my experiece, you ll have to enable "auto correction" for "word substituion" to work.
  7. FrankIAm's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    4,308 Posts
    PIN
    288986cf
    #7  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SDTRMG View Post
    Beat me to it lol


    Posted via CB10
    It's a different screen shot, though!
    High five!
    Thanked by:
    SDTRMG (05-16-2013) 
    SDTRMG likes this.
  8. JunkieXP's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    517 Posts
    #8  

    Default

    You still have "Options -> Language and Input -> Automated Assistance -> Word Substitution" the only thing I'm missing is the fact that it no longer supports a "New Line".

    Posted via CB10
    BlackBerry Curve 8900 -> Bold 9700 -> Bold 9900 - Z10 LE (10.2.1.1055 with enhanced Android Runtime. 71)
    Apps:
    BeBuzz, Hub++, Wunderlist | Navigation: Waze | Tracking: Nike+, Endomondo | GPS: Google Maps, CarFinder | Social: Whatsapp, Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest | Android Market: 1Mobile, Blackmart
    Accessoires: Smart Watch: Sony MN2 | Memory: SanDisk 32GB Micro SDHC | Bluetooth Headset: Plantronics Voyager 510 / Sony BT3700u | Protection: DX Glass Screenprotector
  9. nathan62969's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    173 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  

    Default

    D'OH!

    HOOOOORAY! THANK YOU!

    (wondering if this thread should now self destruct
    Just Me likes this.
  10. HofstraJet's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    431 Posts
    Global Posts
    436 Global Posts
    #10  

    Default

    While word substitution is there, SmartCase is not. I don't know why they would eliminate such a great feature. They now have DumbCase.

    Posted via CB10
    edu3110 likes this.
  11. andy93's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    68 Posts
    #11  

    Default

    It should be noted that the word substitution do not work in most applications, ie the otherwise awesome Browser and Crackberry App. It does work quite fine in core messaging apps like BBM, SMS and the HUB.

    Posted via CB10
  12. pandapurple's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,115 Posts
    #12  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by andy93 View Post
    It should be noted that the word substitution do not work in most applications, ie the otherwise awesome Browser and Crackberry App. It does work quite fine in core messaging apps like BBM, SMS and the HUB.

    Posted via CB10
    I was pleasantly surprised to find that it works in Stuff I Need.

    Posted via CB10
    Buy the Z10 because you choose to. Enough reason in itself.
  13. nathan62969's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    173 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #13  

    Default

    Yeah, I now notice that too -- the universal applicability of Word Substitution across all apps should be taken care of definitely!
  14. mmcpher's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    873 Posts
    Global Posts
    979 Global Posts
    #14  

    Default

    Has anyone been able to migrate their old word substitution lists over to their Z10 from their older BBs? I was hoping it would work with BB LInk, but not so far.
    Lumia 1520, Passport -- Surface Pro 3
  15. Onna808's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    129 Posts
    Global Posts
    133 Global Posts
    #15  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SDTRMG View Post
    Beat me to it lol

    Thank you! I've been looking for that for days!
    Posted via CB10
    PIN: 333A46CB...Pearl/Storm/Storm2/Torch/Z10/Galaxy Note3
  16. syclone1978's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    52 Posts
    #16  

    Default Z10 Word Substitution only works with default installed words

    I have searched and searched and even called BlackBerry 10 support with no resolution.

    My word substitution only works with preinstalled shortcuts. Like myver does work etc. Adding my own like I have with my previous blackberries do not work.

    Reading forums, watching videos show it simply working with no issues. Mine does not, it's so frustrating getting used to the Z10 UI anyway to find I couldn't transfer my auto text from previous device to word substitution in new Z10. I input by hand close to 100, only to not have them work.

    I've tried testing it by turning on and off different settings to see if something in Language and Input was conflicting.

    I also wondered if I installed an application that might have a security conflict. So I wiped and reset device to check. Still didn't work other than default words.

    BlackBerry 10 support mentioned it could be my OS is only 10.0 and not 10.1 so I tried that as well. Installed a leak of 10.1 with it still only allowing default words to work in word substitution.

    In my searching, I found the Z10 has Z10STL100-1 dash 2, 3, 4 which my device being Z10STL100-3 does that matter?

    Any help, confirmation would be great. Thanks
  17. mnc76's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    1,508 Posts
    #17  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FrankIAm View Post
    Yes, you are missing something.
    lol

    Glad the OP's issue was solved.

    Posted via CB10
  18. Onna808's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    129 Posts
    Global Posts
    133 Global Posts
    #18  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by syclone1978 View Post
    I have searched and searched and even called BlackBerry 10 support with no resolution.

    My word substitution only works with preinstalled shortcuts. Like myver does work etc. Adding my own like I have with my previous blackberries do not work.

    Reading forums, watching videos show it simply working with no issues. Mine does not, it's so frustrating getting used to the Z10 UI anyway to find I couldn't transfer my auto text from previous device to word substitution in new Z10. I input by hand close to 100, only to not have them work.

    I've tried testing it by turning on and off different settings to see if something in Language and Input was conflicting.

    I also wondered if I installed an application that might have a security conflict. So I wiped and reset device to check. Still didn't work other than default words.

    BlackBerry 10 support mentioned it could be my OS is only 10.0 and not 10.1 so I tried that as well. Installed a leak of 10.1 with it still only allowing default words to work in word substitution.

    In my searching, I found the Z10 has Z10STL100-1 dash 2, 3, 4 which my device being Z10STL100-3 does that matter?

    Any help, confirmation would be great. Thanks
    Word substitution worked for me, I still have 10.0. Options -> Language and Input -> Automated Assistance -> Word Substitution -> Add shortcut
    Only thing is I couldn't import my old substitutions from my old phone.
    PIN: 333A46CB...Pearl/Storm/Storm2/Torch/Z10/Galaxy Note3
  19. syclone1978's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    52 Posts
    #19  

    Default

    Seriously, you're able to add your own shortcuts and they work? I was unable to get from old device as well but hand input tons. None of custom ones work on my device. Thanks for the reply, although it confirms it should work and mine does not.
    Onna808 likes this.
  20. Just Me's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    954 Posts
    Global Posts
    975 Global Posts
    #20  

    Default

    My Word Substitution just stopped working. I use this feature everyday and now nothing. Non of the substitutions I used before come up. Have others experience this?
    Boring signature.

Similar Threads

  1. OS6 & Auto Text/Word Substitution
    By lifesupport in forum BlackBerry 6
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 01-26-2012, 07:23 PM
  2. Word Substitution in the torch
    By lesp957 in forum BlackBerry Torch 9800
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-17-2011, 01:06 PM
  3. HELP with lost words in word substitution
    By amanda7777 in forum BlackBerry Torch 9800
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-21-2011, 04:48 PM
  4. word substitution & SMS
    By minttea in forum BlackBerry Bold 9700
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-22-2010, 04:56 PM
  5. How to make Storm not auto-substitute words?
    By bitterr in forum BlackBerry Storm
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-04-2009, 09:25 PM

Posting Permissions