Anyone else have this issue? My 10.1 Z10 just won't go off. I turn it off and within an hour it's back on. I thought it was just a random thing but last night I turned it off (because I'm tired of the mid-night reboots). Shortly thereafter I see it's back on. I turn it off again and before it's out of my hand it reboots and back on. It goes through the reboot process, I put it on silent, turn it off and put it face down so that if it does go on the light doesn't wake me. And yes, it was on this morning when I got up.

Was my phone built at a factory located on an Indian burial ground? Isn't off supposed to be off? Does off mean pulling the battery out?

Btw, since I did the leaked 10.1 update a couple of weeks ago the regular daytime reboots stopped - until yesterday. I had one while I was reading an email. I think these happen more than I know because it's either in my pocket or just out of sight. And these nighttime, off/on issues confirm it.

I'm beginning to agree with an AT&T rep who told me that a number of devices DO HAVE manufacturer defects and are covered by the one year manufacturer defect warranty and can be returned.

While I know that someone will say stick with it, an update will come along and all will be good, I'm leery of that too. My first Z10 had only an occasional reboot. But I dropped it and broke the glass and got a replacement - NOT A REFURB either. This "new" device is a piece of crap, period. From day one it rebooted daily - multiple time a day. I did the 10.1.0.282 update and the constant reboots stopped but the deal with the bedside mode not working while the device is being charged started. And now this issue of not staying off. I guess it would be easy to just stay with it but when I spend $500 on a piece of equipment that's suppose to be reliable and dependable and issue-free and it's not, I have a problem. My old Torch and the Bold before it never had issues. My iPad has never had issues. My HP notebook is now four years old and never an issue. Wtf is wrong with the Z10?

(If you've never had an issue, good for you but please don't post a one liner of how good yours is)

Sent from my iPad using CB Forums mobile app
    05-27-13 06:23 AM
    Rather weird. I wonder what would happen if you removed the battery for about 10-15 minutes...
    05-27-13 07:15 AM
    If it keeps happening, you should take it back to the store. Otherwise do a backup and restore to factory settings and install the latest leaked OS of. 2342 and see what happens.

Posted via CB10
    05-27-13 07:24 AM
    I had the same problem the day I got the phone. I held down the power button to turn it off to save power, but instead of staying off, the phone rebooted itself. That's the oddest thing ever. Now, I'm afraid to turn it off fearing the same thing will happen again. I seriously hope BlackBerry is reading our posts about these problems, not to mention the random reboots that I'm now a victim of as well.
    05-30-13 07:20 PM
    Bottom line, that is certainly not normal. Sounds like a hardware issue.
    Return the phone.
    05-30-13 07:39 PM
    I feel for you OP. The Z, or OS10, have some of the strangest happenings. There are definitive problems relative to reboots, freezes, radio-WIFI, a poor battery for a medium-heavy user, and lack of apps. Addition, there are so many other quirks as, in part, you describe herein.

(BTW, If you pull the battery and it boots, then it may well be that there's some spiritual intervention. LOL)

It just isn't going to fly the oft quoted excuse that there should be tolerance because it's BBs initial entry (back into the real world of cell phones). The trail has long since been blazed...and the Buyers required to keep BB afloat are going to trade out or simply shy away altogether from BB purchases.

The Z cannot match any of the former BB workhorses such as Bold, Curve, or even the Torch--let alone the current competitor's phones--for reliability. And for a price well into the $500' s (esp. w/case and battery pack), these deficiencies are wearing the patience thin of the otherwise most ardent BB supporters. Totally unacceptable as having shown itself to be unreliable as a comprehensive business phone, at least in its present state today, May 30.

Those users that really require and rely upon a "comprehensive" phone for business will not be able to stick with the Z, at least as their primary phone, given the current state of BB10.

I suppose that you can try to return the phone. But I still maintain that a true hardware problem is unlikely and that you'd only be getting the same hardware with a factory reset on OS10. Indeed, if BlackBerry is found to have released, for example, 20mm defective phones, then BB may well not see another Spring. (Do the math!)

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by M65c02; 06-10-13 at 06:57 PM.
    05-30-13 10:30 PM
    It happened to me recently. I turn it off before sleep then I woke up its on. Happened 3 times

Note: only after I have done security wipe, before that, 2 months, it was perfect.

And also sth changed too. No warning for battery low just when battery is yallow it suddenly turned off. Before I used to get notification and the red led. Now I dunno what happened and how can I fix it

Posted via CB10
    05-30-13 10:42 PM
    I had the same problem the day I got the phone. I held down the power button to turn it off to save power, but instead of staying off, the phone rebooted itself. That's the oddest thing ever. Now, I'm afraid to turn it off fearing the same thing will happen again. I seriously hope BlackBerry is reading our posts about these problems, not to mention the random reboots that I'm now a victim of as well.
    What do you mean by, "held down the power button?" If you held it down and watched the countdown until it shut off it shouldn't have restarted and that is weird. If you held it down past the time of the countdown it will do a hard reset like a battery pull.
    05-31-13 09:20 AM
    The Z cannot match any of the former BB workhorses such as Bold, Curve, or even the Torch--let alone the current competitor's phones. And for a price well into the $500' s (esp. w/case and battery pack), these deficiencies are wearing the patience thin of the otherwise most ardent BB supporters. Totally unacceptable as having shown itself to be unreliable as a comprehensive business phone, at least in its present state today, May 30.

Those users that really require a "comprehensive" phone for business will not be able to stick with the Z, at least as their primary phone.

Posted via CB10
    Huh? I don't know, mine is doing fine for a comprehensive business phone.
    05-31-13 09:22 AM
    Sounds like your battery is being reconnected.

Do this on any z10. When you turn your phone off with the power button, it will shut off your phone. With the phone off and you remove your battery out and plug it back in your phone, did you know your phone turns back on.

I think you just solved your random reboot. Its your battery terminal contacts.

Posted via CB10
    peter9477 likes this.
    05-31-13 09:31 AM
    Sounds like your battery is being reconnected.

Do this on any z10. When you turn your phone off with the power button, it will shut off your phone. With the phone off and you remove your battery out and plug it back in your phone, did you know your phone turns back on.

I think you just solved your random reboot. Its your battery terminal contacts.

Posted via CB10
    We know that when we remove the battery and plug it back it turned on automatically. THE PROBLEM is it turned on after we turned it off without removing battery.

Posted via CB10
    05-31-13 12:49 PM
    What do you mean by, "held down the power button?" ((((((If you held it down and watched the countdown until it shut off it shouldn't have restarted and that is weird.))))))))) If you held it down past the time of the countdown it will do a hard reset like a battery pull.
    That what happens

Posted via CB10
    05-31-13 12:52 PM
    We know that when we remove the battery and plug it back it turned on automatically. THE PROBLEM is it turned on after we turned it off without removing battery.

Posted via CB10
    I don't think you understand me...no need for caps cuz I'm not the stupid one here.

What I was trying to imply was that it acted as if the battery was "pulled" out and reinserted, or perhaps the contacts on the battery are not sitting in properly that sometimes it would lose connection and regain connection that it would mysteriously reboot or turn itself on.

Do YOU UNDERSTAND?

Posted via CB10
    05-31-13 01:12 PM
    I don't think you understand me...no need for caps cuz I'm not the stupid one here.

What I was trying to imply was that it acted as if the battery was "pulled" out and reinserted, or perhaps the contacts on the battery are not sitting in properly that sometimes it would lose connection and regain connection that it would mysteriously reboot or turn itself on.

Do YOU UNDERSTAND?

Posted via CB10
    Hahhhah ok sir I UNDERSTAND now. Im sorry :/ . But im still facing this problem though

Posted via CB10
    05-31-13 02:46 PM
    VGOROUS may have a point, there was a thread here a while ago where the OP was having a similar problem and the source was a loose battery that was breaking contact. One possible way to test this would be to put a shim of cardboard between the battery case and the battery to hold the battery in tightly.
    Turn the Z10 off as you normally would and, if the restarts don't happen, that is probably your problem. If so, I would go to your carrier to replace the phone, the battery cover should hold the battery in place solidly.
    05-31-13 02:59 PM
    VGOROUS may have a point, there was a thread here a while ago where the OP was having a similar problem and the source was a loose battery that was breaking contact. One possible way to test this would be to put a shim of cardboard between the battery case and the battery to hold the battery in tightly.
    Turn the Z10 off as you normally would and, if the restarts don't happen, that is probably your problem. If so, I would go to your carrier to replace the phone, the battery cover should hold the battery in place solidly.
    Does using a cover help?

Posted via CB10
    05-31-13 07:18 PM
    Does it turn back on right away or after some time? If it is right away then you may be holding the power button a little too long and triggering a reboot rather than powering down.
    05-31-13 07:24 PM
    Does it turn back on right away or after some time? If it is right away then you may be holding the power button a little too long and triggering a reboot rather than powering down.
    05-31-13 07:25 PM
    That what happens

Posted via CB10
    That definitely is bizarre. Mine has turned on when I didn't want it to a few times, but I am pretty sure in my case I accidentally hit the button since it was in my pocket at the time.
    05-31-13 07:56 PM
    After sometime . I dunno how long I was sleeping
    :/
    Im fine with rebooting I dont turn it off alot. Im just not happy with the shutting down with now sign of low battery jist suddenly.

Posted via CB10
    05-31-13 09:17 PM
    That definitely is bizarre. Mine has turned on when I didn't want it to a few times, but I am pretty sure in my case I accidentally hit the button since it was in my pocket at the time.
    Thats another story when my phone is swimming in my bag which is u know girls bags! Anything can happen to the phone there I accept it

:/

Posted via CB10
    05-31-13 09:19 PM
    See my post Random Reboot Survival Guide.

Posted via CB10
    pinkgold likes this.
    05-31-13 10:03 PM
    You sure you not have any ghosts around?

Maybe device come back on when a ghost is present?

Not sure what reason would be as I don't have that issue, maybe an app you have installed is not fully shutting down and the phone does a bootup?

Posted via CB10
    Hamilton Guy likes this.
    05-31-13 11:03 PM
    Does using a cover help?

Posted via CB10
    Might, but that is just a work around. If the battery is loose, that is a manufacturing flaw and you should be able to replace your phone. That is why I would suggest shimming it first to verify if that is the problem.
    pinkgold likes this.
    06-01-13 08:13 AM