So I have a Z10 with the 10.1 and I love it more than any other phone out there. I tried the S3 (great phone) and the iPhone 5 (Hated it so much) and I wouldn't trade my Z10 for any other phone... BUT I really hate the indoor photos on the Z10 camera . I was so looking forward to the 10.1 update because I hoped that some software magic would make the camera better. Anyways my question is this... Is the reason the camera is not as good in indoor/low light situations due to the camera software (which will hopefully improve with a future update) or is it a limitation in the actual camera hardware and what you see is the best it's going to get? Who knows the real answer?
    05-19-13 11:12 PM
    Have you tried moving the green focus square to the darkest area of your shot? Then the entire exposure will brighten.
    05-19-13 11:14 PM
    Yep.

Move the green focus box to the area that is roughly at neutral density (~18%) in your shot and what you wish to focus on. Exposure will be recomputed to weight that location. If it's a person bracket their head since you probably want their face in focus (assuming they're of reasonably-fair complexion.) Note that while a face is not quite the correct neutral density for metering its close enough.

I have gotten some insanely nice interior shots this way with available light, including a couple of HDR ones that blew me away. I speak to this as a guy with a Canon 7D and a gaggle of lenses; I know what I'm comparing against. The Z outshoots my friends' iPhone quite handily, incidentally.
    CMcRob likes this.
    05-19-13 11:17 PM
    It's mainly a lens issue... how good of a camera lens/optics first and foremost, then algorithm and image processing... Personally I am pleased with BBRY and the 8MP shooter on the Z10. It is not a dedicated camera phone but does a great job all things considered.
    05-19-13 11:18 PM
    Agreed.. the camera on my Z10 is good enough for me to capture those important moments

Posted via CB10
    05-20-13 12:07 AM
    If you expect good low light performance for a digital camera, DSLRs are the only games in town. Even P&S digital cameras are not so great in low light.
    I think most people are expecting way too much from a tiny cameras in a phones. The Z10 camera is on par with its competitors. The pictures just look grainy due to light use of noise reduction, which does not smear away detail like a lot the competitors do.
    If you look at low light photo comparisons, the Z10 photos has way more details, but the trade off is more visible grain. If you want that smooth noise free look, you can always add more noise reduction to the Z10 photos. However, you can never get back the details from the excessive use of in-camera noise reduction.
    Last edited by homl; 05-20-13 at 01:19 AM.
    dannejanne likes this.
    05-20-13 01:07 AM
    If you expect good low light performance for a digital camera, a DSLRs are the only games in town. Even P&S digital cameras are not so great in low light.
    I think most people are expecting way too much from a tiny cameras in a phones. The Z10 camera is on par with its competitors. The pictures just look grainy due to light use of noise reduction, which does not smear away detail like a lot the competitors do.
    If you look at low light photo comparisons, the Z10 photos has way more details, but the trade off is more visible grain. If you want that smooth noise free look, you can always add more noise reduction to the Z10 photos. However, you can never get back the details from the excessive use of in-camera noise reduction.
    I prefer grain instead of smudged out waterpaintings every day of the week. It instead gives us the CHOICE to remove noise (and details) in the gallery if we want to.
    05-20-13 01:13 AM