I am planning to buy Audio Technica ATH-M50's sooner or later. I have heard that some headphones do not work due to high impedance with the phone's low impedance. If that is the case then i'd buy ones with low impedance. Here are the specifications of Audio technica.
    Impedance : 38 ohms
    Sensitivity : 88 decibels
    Frequency: High - 28 kHz, low - 15 Hz
    Thats about it. If these don't work can anyone list good compatible headphones!
    Thanks y'all!
    03-01-14 02:26 PM
    Does it work with the iphone? Most headphones that work with the iphone work just fine with BB10 phones. My iBeats and my Crossfades work perfectly.
    samisosa420 likes this.
    03-04-14 02:41 PM
    As an owner, yes! I use my M50s with my Z10 for music listening and they work great!

Pretty sure they work with iPhone, too.

Posted via CB10
    samisosa420 likes this.
    03-04-14 03:32 PM
    Yes, but having owned a pair of M50s... I say be careful. They weren't for me - there was a distinct muddiness, a lack of fidelity. Granted, I'd recommend over a pair of 'Beats', but that's because I'd recommend anything over a pair of 'Beats '...

That said, it's just my own experience with them.

Posted via CB10
    samisosa420 likes this.
    03-04-14 03:40 PM
    I've personally done some research on them and for the price, I hear they were the best. So when I finally got a pair, I wasn't too disappointed. But hey, you're talking to a teen girl here, so my opinion isn't the best to go by.

But I do agree on one thing: that's just my experience with them. Hopefully you have a good experience with them, OP!

Posted via CB10
    FF22 and samisosa420 like this.
    03-04-14 04:42 PM
    Not a good match for BB phones (or most any smartphone)
    They are geared for higher power, higher impedence devices- They are relatively high fidelity headphones. The BB preamp will drive them, but not that well. You will not get the full capability of the headset and your phone's preamp probably won't like driving them too much. /however, you can get a very small portable headphone amplifier (there are several inexpensive ones available, i.e. FiiO brand) that will make a huge difference and really wake up the sound quality.
    samisosa420 likes this.
    03-04-14 06:25 PM
    For the record I got the beats VERY cheap!
    samisosa420 likes this.
    03-04-14 07:02 PM
    Yes they do!

Source, I have those marvelous sweet eargasm headphones. Bought them 2 years and a half ago, they still sound badass.

Thanks for reminding me to listen to some music on the Z10

Attachment 252853

Visit GTR Lifestyle @ C001247FA
    Last edited by Douken; 03-05-14 at 12:20 AM.
    03-04-14 11:55 PM
    Yes they do!

Source, I have those marvelous sweet eargasm headphones. Bought them 2 years and a half ago, they still sound badass.

Thanks for reminding me to listen to some music on the Z10

Attachment 252853

Try them with something like this http://www.amazon.com/FiiO-E6-Portab...UvbUpU10084807 (or equivilent)- built in sound modes, and proper amplification for low level sources such as smartphones. Puts less strain on your device preamp when using lower sensitivity/ higher power headphones. Much improved sound quality, the way the ATH-m50's are capable of sounding.
    03-05-14 09:07 AM
    My Technics RP-F800 are excellent with the Neutron player. Amazing sound.

Steve/Boanerges Performance
    03-05-14 02:11 PM
    Oh yeah, the Neutron Music player sounds better by default and if you know how to equalize even better

zyphen likes this.
    03-07-14 09:36 PM
    Try them with something like this http://www.amazon.com/FiiO-E6-Portab...UvbUpU10094674 (or equivilent)- built in sound modes, and proper amplification for low level sources such as smartphones. Puts less strain on your device preamp when using lower sensitivity/ higher power headphones. Much improved sound quality, the way the ATH-m50's are capable of sounding.
    Thanks for the advice

03-07-14 09:38 PM
    The ATH-M50 will work on most portable devices, Z10 included. However, if time comes that you wanted to upgrade your headphones to, let's say, a Sennheiser HD 600, then yes, you have to use a portable amplifier for that.

Z10STL100-1/10.2.1.2141
    samisosa420 likes this.
    03-07-14 09:41 PM
    Thanks for the advice

The headphone out is already amplified. Using that amp with the Z10 means you're "double amping" which is bad for the music because it increases noise and distortion. And because Z10 doesn't have USB OTG, you cannot use it's DAC.

Z10STL100-1/10.2.1.2141
    03-07-14 09:49 PM
    Oh yeah, the Neutron Music player sounds better by default and if you know how to equalize even better

As much as I do like Neutron Player, does it really sound better?

I don't see how it possibly can.

Ok, it has EQ capabilities, but that doesn't constitute superior sound quality - just greater customisation.

Posted via CB10
    03-08-14 10:42 AM
    As much as I do like Neutron Player, does it really sound better?

I don't see how it possibly can.

Ok, it has EQ capabilities, but that doesn't constitute superior sound quality - just greater customisation.

Posted via CB10
    In my opinion, I don't think Neutron offers superior sound quality other than greater customization because the hardware that processes the audio hasn't changed.

Z10STL100-1/10.2.1.2141
    03-08-14 03:23 PM
    Well, to me the music with the Neutron sounds more crisp and clear if I equalize it.

03-09-14 08:35 AM
    In my opinion, I don't think Neutron offers superior sound quality other than greater customization because the hardware that processes the audio hasn't changed.

Z10STL100-1/10.2.1.2141
    Took the words out of my mouth

That's exactly what I was implying. Folks here claiming superior sound quality are misguided.

Posted via CB10
    03-11-14 06:01 AM
    Well, to me the music with the Neutron sounds more crisp and clear if I equalize it.

Of course if you are able to change EQ settings to suit a particular taste, you might prefer this output. This is perfectly fine.

But folks claiming it's providing higher quality output - this isn't right, unfortunately.

Posted via CB10
    03-11-14 06:04 AM
    The headphone out is already amplified. Using that amp with the Z10 means you're "double amping" which is bad for the music because it increases noise and distortion. And because Z10 doesn't have USB OTG, you cannot use it's DAC.

Z10STL100-1/10.2.1.2141
    You are *NOT* "double amplifying"
    That is the design concept and point of a Fiio type portable HP amp!!
    It takes a low level output from a preamp source and amplifies it while properly matching the impedence.

" So, why do I need an external, stand-alone headphone amplifier? Because the fact also is that the built in headphone amps are likely going to be a significant compromise, given the size/space and power limitations they have to work with. A stand alone headphone amp has much more space to dedicate to better circuitry, and a more robust power supply, allowing both overall better controlled sound and, importantly for some headphones, the ability to provide considerably more output power to the headphone.

The key is that amps need to deliver enough power for the headphone not to sound distorted at the musical peak—not the average volume. The purpose of a headphone amp is not to blast your ears into deafness! It's to have the sound you hear be cleaner and more controlled, especially during peaks."

** Designed for high impedance and low sensitivity headphones

Please read up on your electronics knowledge before making erroneous comments. They are misleading and not helpful. External headphone amplifiers have become a big add on piece in today's environment, when portable music devices and highly dynamic music have become so popular. I own (and have built) a couple myself. I wouldn't take my nightly walk without my portable HP amplifier device! It improves sound quality and bass dynamics (as well as controlling volume peaks) by at least 50% on my Ultimate Ears in-ear design.
    The Audio Technica ATH-M50 are NOT a good match for a smartphone based on impedence match and preamp output power. Period. They will work, they will make music, but they will NOT perform up to spec. In a way you are wasting money unless you have a higher fidelity source or a headphone amplifier as described above. those are the facts.

-GT
    Last edited by garpt; 03-20-14 at 03:10 PM. Reason: Added definition
    03-20-14 11:52 AM
    OK, I may be wrong stating that it might be "bad" for the sound, but it is definitely double amping. You connect the FiiO E6 to the 3.5 mm jack of the Z10 which we know is already amplified. Digital data > DAC > internal amp > headphone jack > FiiO E6 amp > headphone, is that correct? You can read the comments about FiiO E6 on this site if you want.
    03-26-14 11:35 PM