Hello,

Z10 having trouble connecting and staying connected to our home wifi network. It used to be fine, now it is having difficulty. Not sure if a software upgrade happened or not to cause an issue.

On our home network we have several devices connected to Wifi, including my Q10.

When the Z10 first came home, it found our Wifi and would connect whenever the phone came into the house.

Lately it may connect but won't stay connected, and a screen pops up saying that it cannot find an IP address.

Don't think we have changed anything.

Have tried deleting from saved networks and finding again.

Anyone else have this issue, or a potential solution?
    10-11-13 07:25 PM
    never seen this issue on my wifi points. What update did you recently load?
    10-11-13 07:54 PM
    Turn off your router for a minute and turn it back on. All electronic devices need a reboot every now and then to clear cache memory.

Posted via CB10
    10-11-13 08:03 PM
    Not sure if there was one - the OS version is 10.1.04184.

Thanks for the router suggestion. I already tried that one too.
    10-11-13 08:21 PM
    I have the same problem exactly. Tried resetting the router. Didn't work.

Posted via CB10
    10-11-13 09:46 PM
    How about assigning a Static IP address to the phone? If you go to Saved Wifi, you can select or deselect auto-ip and then assign a value that does not conflict with existing units.
    10-12-13 12:18 AM
    I've had a weird problem too with my home router. After an hour or less the wifi stops working (still shows signal) although sites stop loading etc the. I ha e to turn it on and off. Such a big annoyance. Tried deleting and setting again but didn't work

Posted via CB10
    10-12-13 02:16 AM
    I solved 95% problems with my z10 and wifi by changing channel and switching to b/g mode(instead of b/g/n)

Posted via CB10
    jerobarraco likes this.
    10-12-13 03:54 AM
    Guys, just remember that if you're having problems connecting to a specific WLAN, it is most likely the router/WLAN Access Point that is the problem.

Try and change the frequency band in the router's wireless settings. Maybe set it to channel 6 or 11.

Alternatively, upgrade the router firmware.

I currently have problems with my router's wireless but I know that it is my router.

Try and test with a laptop as well. Unfortunately there is no Shell Terminal that I know of on the Z10 to run Unix commands to diagnose the issue.

Posted via CB10
    10-12-13 04:24 AM
    Thanks Nharzcool,

Can't disagree with you about the router in theory, but hard to figure out when it did work fine on the router, but suddenly no longer does. And, I have a Q10, a Q5, a Galaxy S3, an AceIIx, iPads, iPods, laptops and desktops continuing to connect with no issue.

A bit concerned that if I start changing settings on the router, I will create new connection issues.
    10-12-13 07:18 AM

Try and change the frequency band in the router's wireless settings. Maybe set it to channel 6 or 11.

Posted via CB10
    Isn't Channel 6 usually the default in most routers? I have several different networks (home, business, non-profit) and, except for home, have multiple networks. I'll often set up Channels 1 and 11, only using 6 if using a third network.

While there might be some benefits to changing the channel I don't think that will solve the OP's issue. First, I would turn off WiFi on all connected devices except for the Z10 to eliminate the possibility of any conflict. See what this does. Also, wireless "land line" phones can interfere. I switched to a 6.0 ghz phone to eliminate issues on the 2.4 ghz channels. Another potential solution is to make sure you're running the most current driver on your router.

I'm mentioning all these because my issue was weak signal and my Z10 losing WiFi connection where my Bold was always reliable. The IS something different about the way a Z10 behaves with WiFi and I hope this is addressed with the Z10 next update. I've barely had my Z for a month now and have not loaded a leak...just running latest VZW.

Updating my router DID help the signal strength issue but replacing it with a newer router helped even more. My biggest problem is at the non-profit where we have an Intellinet GuestGate and my device will NOT connect to the internet but will connect the the WiFi on that specific device. Still working on that!
    10-12-13 08:25 AM
    Dont turn the router off and back on, just do it on the Wi-fi on your device. Possibly turning aeroplane mode on and off would be better
    If that doesnt help....
    Try assigning your device a static IP on your router, so that IP address is reserved solely for your device
    10-16-13 06:06 PM
    I had a similar problem when I added a WiFi repeater to our home network. The only solution I could find was to restart/reboot the router. Apparently that causes it to reassign IP addresses to the various connected devices.

Posted via CB10
    10-16-13 06:20 PM
    Updating my router DID help the signal strength issue but replacing it with a newer router helped even more. My biggest problem is at the non-profit where we have an Intellinet GuestGate and my device will NOT connect to the internet but will connect the the WiFi on that specific device. Still working on that!
    For the latter have you tried deleting the wifi network and then re-adding?
    Do you have proxy enabled on your device? You might want to consider attempting to set a static ip for the device.
    If you can get hold of laptop to connect to the network at the same time as the Z10, you could check the all the wifi diagnostic info on the device and match it against the wifi properties on the laptop, as in the gateway and ip range.
    On the LAPTOP launch command prompt: (START-run - cmd), then at the command prompt, type "ipconfig /all" and press enter. This will return the current settings of the Networks. Scroll up and look at the Wireless IPV4 settings.
    Second, also look at the DNS server settings just below the IP address in the IPV4 settings. Ensure they are set to proper addresses or the default gateway IP address
    Third, also look at the Default Gateway IP address in the IPV4 section: Note the address, then ON YOUR DEVICE, in wifi settings, while you are connected to the network go to Advanced and select Ping from the dropdown menu. Enter Default Gateway IP. Hit Send and see if you get replies.. If yes, then you are connected with a valid address and have just verified that you are talking to the first router on your network. If no replies, then you probably don't have a valid IP address, or are being blocked by a firewall.
    Fourth, if you are getting valid replies, then try "www.google.com". If you get replies from that address or any other valid public IP, then you are connected to the internet. If not, then there is a failure upstream from your Default Gateway Router.
    Fifth, if you are able to ping any public IP on the internet, next try pinging a normal address or any valid URL. If you get replies then your internet connectivity is fine, could be corrupted browser settings or program files. Reloading the OS might fix that.
    i_hiker likes this.
    10-16-13 07:08 PM
    Otherwise you could also try running a "trace route" on the device and the laptop
    You run a "trace route" on the device from the same place as a ping. For the laptop open the command prompt again and type in "trace rt address". (without the space between the 'e' and the 'r')
    Use the same address/website for both then compare the results.
    Good Luck
    i_hiker likes this.
    10-16-13 07:10 PM
    I had a similar problem when I added a WiFi repeater to our home network. The only solution I could find was to restart/reboot the router. Apparently that causes it to reassign IP addresses to the various connected devices.

Posted via CB10
    You added a new device onto the network running on the same channel. You would have to reboot for something like that
    10-16-13 07:15 PM
    For the latter have you tried deleting the wifi network and then re-adding?
    Do you have proxy enabled on your device? You might want to consider attempting to set a static ip for the device.
    If you can get hold of laptop to connect to the network at the same time as the Z10, you could check the all the wifi diagnostic info on the device and match it against the wifi properties on the laptop, as in the gateway and ip range.
    On the LAPTOP launch command prompt: (START-run - cmd), then at the command prompt, type "ipconfig /all" and press enter. This will return the current settings of the Networks. Scroll up and look at the Wireless IPV4 settings.
    Second, also look at the DNS server settings just below the IP address in the IPV4 settings. Ensure they are set to proper addresses or the default gateway IP address
    Third, also look at the Default Gateway IP address in the IPV4 section: Note the address, then ON YOUR DEVICE, in wifi settings, while you are connected to the network go to Advanced and select Ping from the dropdown menu. Enter Default Gateway IP. Hit Send and see if you get replies.. If yes, then you are connected with a valid address and have just verified that you are talking to the first router on your network. If no replies, then you probably don't have a valid IP address, or are being blocked by a firewall.
    Fourth, if you are getting valid replies, then try "www.google.com". If you get replies from that address or any other valid public IP, then you are connected to the internet. If not, then there is a failure upstream from your Default Gateway Router.
    Fifth, if you are able to ping any public IP on the internet, next try pinging a normal address or any valid URL. If you get replies then your internet connectivity is fine, could be corrupted browser settings or program files. Reloading the OS might fix that.
    All good info...Thanks! Here is the temp fix that worked on this particular router: When the device is given a .252 (/2) which is a 4-ip subnet address it is unable to function. When given a .0 (/24) or 256-ip subnet (standard class-C) it works fine. This is the same problem we saw previously with some iOS devices which Apple fixed. Now it's BBRY's turn to fix it.
    10-16-13 10:09 PM
    All good info...Thanks! Here is the temp fix that worked on this particular router: When the device is given a .252 (/2) which is a 4-ip subnet address it is unable to function. When given a .0 (/24) or 256-ip subnet (standard class-C) it works fine. This is the same problem we saw previously with some iOS devices which Apple fixed. Now it's BBRY's turn to fix it.
    Glad you got it sorted, you might wanna share that info with BlackBerry, so they work on a patch

Posted via CB10 from my Z10
    10-17-13 01:49 AM
    That's the point. 2 years ago, my wife had exactly the same problem with her Xperia U (surprisingly, my Xperia P didn't suffer like that). I changed the wfi channel from 13(?) to something lower than 10, which solved the problem.

Few days ago I bought a Z10 and a very similar problem appeared. I used iwlist utility on my linux laptop, to find lowest, least "noisy" channel in our neighbourhood and changed setting on my router. Ta-da, problem solved.
    12-03-14 02:36 AM
    perfect!

i've been stuggling with the wifi dropping out and today I decided to research, found this post, manually changed the channel and immediately my z10 connected without a reboot.

hopefully this is the solution going forward for me
    12-31-14 08:56 AM