Ok.
    It's my third time posting about this issue.
    It's annoying me so much.

I'm in second cup or Starbucks where there's a free wi-fi. Those are saved in my list too.

Every time when I am around this signal, LTE indicator on right upper side of the screen disappears and wi-fi signal indicator shows up.

Some said it IS connected assuming since LTE indicator disappears.
    However, it's NOT.
    I've set my phone using only wi-fi whenever I download on BlackBerry world.

It keeps asking all the time if I'm sure to download through data.

These coffee shops have their own authentication page when you prompt to connect. I don't remember exactly if I did this at first time or not but doesn't appear anymore when I come back.

The only way I can connect my phone to their wi-fi is to turn off my data connection and log in their authentication page.

So be careful when you think you are using wifi because LTE indicator disappears.
    IT'S NOT

Anyone know how to properly use this wi-fi connectivity?

Posted via CB10
    04-07-13 01:40 PM
    This could possibly be the cause of the excessive data some are experiencing in their Z10. My Z10 always connects and so far my data has been right in line .
    04-07-13 01:44 PM
    At many places like Starbucks even at McDonald's in my home town the wifi us actually a Hotspot connection, which sucks 1-3mb download speeds, so we are not on the actual wifi speed the original setup is on.

Posted via CB10, BB10, Z10
    04-07-13 01:46 PM
    This is really interesting hope more people look into things like this then a "Shutter Sound" that the camera uses that seems to attract hundreds of posters.

This place would be a much happier place if people actually out their time into reading threads like this one and figuring out a solution. It would really explain the excessive data thousands of people are complaining about.

I don't really know how to test this, but I'm gonna try and do some tests.

Posted via CB10
    04-07-13 01:57 PM
    I presume you shut down network data and set connection for GSM -- just to see what happens? And -- I don't hang around Starbucks -- are you sure there's no local password?
    04-07-13 02:06 PM
    This could possibly be the cause of the excessive data some are experiencing in their Z10. My Z10 always connects and so far my data has been right in line .
    Could be..
    My data is right in line though.
    04-07-13 03:15 PM
    At many places like Starbucks even at McDonald's in my home town the wifi us actually a Hotspot connection, which sucks 1-3mb download speeds, so we are not on the actual wifi speed the original setup is on.

Posted via CB10, BB10, Z10
    hmmm
    didn't know that..still.. it's free lol
    04-07-13 03:16 PM
    Nice post.

You are right about the wifi authenticate pages, I can see where people might think they are connected to wifi when they really aren't.

Posted via CB10
    04-07-13 03:18 PM
    On my phone... there is a notification that shows up in the hub so that I can login to the Hotspot. as soon as it's logged in... it works

Posted via CB10
    04-07-13 03:20 PM
    This is really interesting hope more people look into things like this then a "Shutter Sound" that the camera uses that seems to attract hundreds of posters.

This place would be a much happier place if people actually out their time into reading threads like this one and figuring out a solution. It would really explain the excessive data thousands of people are complaining about.

I don't really know how to test this, but I'm gonna try and do some tests.

Posted via CB10
    I hope many Blackberry associates could read here too.
    Listen to what people saying about their products and give a response
    04-07-13 03:20 PM
    I get a notification when I need to log in to wifi. This has happened at both my work place as well as public wifi like Starbucks.

Posted via CB10
    04-07-13 03:21 PM
    They are free wi-fi. However they need us to agree on the page and sign in. There's no such password.
    Normally, I used to see that page when I have had another phone but not on Z10
    04-07-13 03:23 PM
    Nice post.

You are right about the wifi authenticate pages, I can see where people might think they are connected to wifi when they really aren't.

Posted via CB10
    This is tricky. LTE indicator disappears and people assume it's on
    04-07-13 03:24 PM
    On my phone... there is a notification that shows up in the hub so that I can login to the Hotspot. as soon as it's logged in... it works

Posted via CB10
    Every time?
    Those signals are saved in my setting.
    Under "Advanced" in "Wi-Fi" setting, it shows status are connected but no signal level.

Can you please check how those signals are saved?
    For Second Cup- WiFi in my saved list, the setting are; Enable Connections ON, Security Type Open, VPN profiles <None Selected>, Band Type Dual Band, Auto Obtain IP ON, Enable IPv6 Off, Use HTTP proxy Off, Inter-Access Point Handover Off

Thank you
    04-07-13 03:29 PM
    I get a notification when I need to log in to wifi. This has happened at both my work place as well as public wifi like Starbucks.

Posted via CB10
    Really?
    I've never had any notification.
    04-07-13 03:31 PM
    I get a notification in my hub as well

Posted via CB10
    04-07-13 03:33 PM
    This happened at my local library.
    You could try turning on your wifi, turn off Data Services under Mobile Network,go to a random webpage on the browser and you get the authentication page.
    You will also notice when you are on the same page that when you are connected to a wifi network, on that same Mobile Network page your 4G will turn into 4g, lowercase, or something along those lines indicating that you are not on using your carrier data plan.
    04-07-13 03:37 PM
    Yes. There is an option in the wifi settings saying prompt when a saved hot spot is available? Maybe yours is not checked?

Posted via CB10
    04-08-13 08:25 AM
    If the hotspot requires you to fill in the authentication page, this isn't an issue with the BlackBerry.

You get the WiFi symbol because you are connected to their network. However, until you authenticated (on the page) you don't have permission to access the Web.

Posted via CB10
    04-08-13 08:34 AM
    Not sure about Starbucks (i am in peru) but here in my local coffee shop i need to open the browser first and open a random webpage. the hotspots dns service then redirects me to the login page and from then on wifi works....
    04-08-13 08:47 AM
    When connected to wifi, the blackberry logo appears together with the wifi icon...When connected to network, then 4G will appear - the capital G indicates that there is data/internet service...if 4g with small g, then only cellular service/signal is available, but no internet service.
    04-08-13 09:18 AM
    I still see people keep saying thinking it's connected to wifi when the wireless indicator and blackberry logo.

It happens to my phone too. Toggle on everything needed. Whenever I'm within the coverage, happens exactly what people said here except being asked to log in.

For those of you who think it's connected that way, please try loading some app that only works over your Data.

I set blackberry world to download only when wifi connected.

The only way to use those place's signal is to turn off your data usage and go to browser to log in.

Posted via CB10
    04-08-13 12:30 PM