So what possible non-carrier reason could they have for holding back in the US? Just to screw with you? Come on man.
    Lack of consumer apps. Carriers know it won't sell. Maybe the apps will be ready by then.

Sent from my BlackBerry Torch 9850 using Tapatalk
    01-30-13 06:19 PM
    Here is a good example of Sprint Newsroom | Sprint to Bring Truly Unlimited 4G LTE to BlackBerry Q10 Smartphone it's the carriers at fault not RIM..As myself loyal Sprint customer for years and hearing their decisions for us as their BB customers..."announced plans to carry the new BlackBerry� Q10 smartphone later this year." These aren't the words we wanted to hear...
    bungaboy likes this.
    01-30-13 06:28 PM
    +1
    I saw this on C-Net:

from C-Net today:

"The good: The BlackBerry 10 OS looks terrific, and comes with many of the world-class features you'd demand from a modern OS. It also adds a few of its own signature tools for security and business users.

The bad: Despite the grown-up look, RIM's new OS is riddled with perplexing omissions and behavioral inefficiencies that wear on you over time.

The bottom line: BlackBerry lovers who can get past the rookie mistakes will find a polished-looking OS that's packed with interesting and useful features, but happy Android and iOS users won't find a reason to switch."
    Shlooky likes this.
    01-30-13 06:28 PM
    I'm completely calm about everything. Notice in my original message I said "More difficult to manage mail the existing BBs (the strength of BB)". "More difficult", not impossible, but considerably more difficult. As for keyboard vs non-keyboard reasons, some of this stuff is considerably easier to do on my PlayBook than on the Z10 (multi-selection, switching between messages) and last time I checked, my PlayBook didn't have a keyboard.

Rest assured, I'm not looking to jump anywhere, if only because I'd then have to explain myself to so many people who believe I'm a BlackBerry fanboi and would never even think of switching (completely untrue). I mentioned somewhere else that it may be a blessing in disguise that in the U.S. you won't be able to get the phone until March as it will allow for a couple of software patches and app releases - I mean that. But, as someone who has had a PlayBook since launch day, I'm not going to buy something on the promise of future functionality.

This thread however, was about "Why are you disappointed?" which I simply explained. You wanted me to clarify and explain my reasons, which I did. Maybe by the time I can get the phone there will be solutions in place, in which case I'll pick up the phone, or maybe there won't and I'll look elsewhere.
    The playbook also has a huge screen. The Z10 doesn't. Doing multi-screen on a fairly small screen is kinda unrealistic, unless you want to try and tick selection boxes an eighth of an inch across.

I've been telling you why most of the disappointments you see you shouldn't be disappointed about. You've been hyperbolically saying things aren't there that in fact are, and then that they aren't as good as they should be even though they are there, and then pouting that they should be better even though they are as good as they logically could be, which makes you sound like you're just nitpicking. Saying things like 'We actually lost critical functionality that we were used to and relied upon.' is what makes it sound like you're crapping on BB10 just because. While you don't know for sure the stuff you want is there, there's no obvious reason to think its just gone forever, and like I've said; just because you can't see it at this exact second doesn't mean its not there.

Very many things that aren't touched on in reviews will ride from the sunset and define your use of any device. Many of the things that are spoken about are shiny trinkets and turn out to be largely irrelevant (siri anyone?)

Like I said, you seem to be grasping for reasons to be disappointed for no obvious reason. What did you want that is not there? As far as I can see, you're down to 'customising notifications', 'bedside mode' and 'the calendar isn't as good as I wanted' Now those are things that are a little disappointing, and you have every right to be disappointed about them, even if you aren't banking on them being fixed.
    01-30-13 06:29 PM
    Lack of consumer apps. Carriers know it won't sell. Maybe the apps will be ready by then.
    Which consumer apps? Cuz I will happily copy and paste RIM's list of the thousand most popular apps that they made certain they would have available on launch day, plus a big list of all the developers who have made a commitment to the platform, as well as details of the many thousands of apps that got ported or made during the past six months of RIMs huuuuge push to get apps.

They weren't screwing around when they said 70,000 available before launch. There may well be some omissions in terms of your exact favorite app but I'll put money on you being able to get any functionality that you have on another platform right now if you are willing to go to app world and look for more than two seconds. It's the same way that Android and iOS don't have the exact same apps, they each have apps with different names and slightly different looks that do the exact same thing.
    01-30-13 06:35 PM
    So you just preorder a phone without even knowing if it functions well? I never get how people can pre order things without people even using it yet. How do you know its going to function well? How do you know there is no bugs? How do you know if the camera is any good? Call quality? Etc Etc.
    I have a pretty good idea what bb10 is about. As far as everything else, I would rather get the phone and make my own call on it. Its a phone, not a car or a house. If I don't like it, I will just get a different one.

That is why people generally go by reviews, then end up buying the phone if they are good. I highly doubt that reputable websites are just going to hate on Blackberry for the **** of it. For the most part, they are just saying its an average phone. Not bad Not great. Just a good phone.
    I don't think most go to cnet or crackberry and read some geeks review of a phone before buying it. Some do, but most don't. They buy it cause it caught their eye, because a friend had one and liked it, saw it in a commercial and thought it was slick.

Smart shoppers go by review
    Or lame people. Like I said before, its a phone not a $20,000 dollar purchase. I know guys that get new phones every 3-4 months just to try out new devices or to have the latest. Not everyone falls into this category I know, but on the grande scale if things its not a huge purchase for most.
    jesse_h and rfig like this.
    01-30-13 06:39 PM
    Its a carrier thing not a RIM thing. If the carriers drag their feet certifying what were RIM going to do? Hold out the whole rest of their world wide launch so that the US carriers could continue to feel like they are the centre of the goddamn universe. What sends worse signals do you think: Annoucing that the US release will come later, or pushing the launch back another month?

If you want to be pissed off, then complain to your carrier. It's them that screwed you.

My only disappointment is how bad the tech press has been to blackberry 10 already. I genuinely cannot believe that people are criticising the platform simply for being a new operating system. Crap like "its bigger issue lies with the fact that it runs a brand new operating system." with no justification what so ever... Just its new so obviously it sucks. And "There were plenty of different paths for Research In Motion to take, and I do kind of question the one that the company ultimately chose." This from the same people who criticised RIM for NOT having a new operating system. I get that people aren't always going to love it, but jesus this kind of press is ridiculous. 70,000 apps at launch, the highest of any new OS ever, apparently equates to still needing to close the app gap. It sounds like people haven't even bothered reading the release, they had all this crap ready to go months ago and didn't listen or look at all.
    I totally can't understand the criticism either, unjust criticism I should say. Android and iOS were nothing special when released and had far less apps at launch. BB10 has only just launched!! This is the first version of it. It's not going to be perfect but even right now not only have they brought an exciting new and potentially great platform to market, they have brought some nice features this user experience is looked fast and intuitive.

Give them a chance! Give it a year or so and then you can really judge how good or bad bb10 is. First thing was to lay the foundation and to ensure it functions properly. Now that it's out, blackberry can begin to tweak it improve it.

Not quite sure what people are expecting. It's a phone, not a space station!! It's just become fashionable to hate blackberry these days.
    jesse_h likes this.
    01-30-13 06:40 PM
    Why am I disappointed? Because I dont have one and I dont know when I can get one

Also, the presentation was a bit meh I thought. But whatever, I hope BB10 evolves in to a mobile powerhouse. I havent played with the phone yet so dont really know what its like. One observation I have is that maybe people were over anticipating that BB10 would suddenly rocket Blackberry to the top of the smartphone food chain. If it happens it will be a long slow climb for Blackberry, it was never going to be anything else. They need to listen to any critiques of their OS and get out updates in a timely manner too

But yeah, Im annoyed I cant get one this weekend
    01-30-13 06:45 PM
    The playbook also has a huge screen. The Z10 doesn't. Doing multi-screen on a fairly small screen is kinda unrealistic, unless you want to try and tick selection boxes an eighth of an inch across.

I've been telling you why most of the disappointments you see you shouldn't be disappointed about. You've been hyperbolically saying things aren't there that in fact are, and then that they aren't as good as they should be even though they are there, and then pouting that they should be better even though they are as good as they logically could be, which makes you sound like you're just nitpicking. Saying things like 'We actually lost critical functionality that we were used to and relied upon.' is what makes it sound like you're crapping on BB10 just because. While you don't know for sure the stuff you want is there, there's no obvious reason to think its just gone forever, and like I've said; just because you can't see it at this exact second doesn't mean its not there.

Very many things that aren't touched on in reviews will ride from the sunset and define your use of any device. Many of the things that are spoken about are shiny trinkets and turn out to be largely irrelevant (siri anyone?)

Like I said, you seem to be grasping for reasons to be disappointed for no obvious reason. What did you want that is not there? As far as I can see, you're down to 'customising notifications', 'bedside mode' and 'the calendar isn't as good as I wanted' Now those are things that are a little disappointing, and you have every right to be disappointed about them, even if you aren't banking on them being fixed.
    I'm actually not pouting about anything. There's nothing to pout about, it's a phone - one that isn't even available yet.

My first response to this included something about not being emotional in responding. I can assure you I'm not, and this makes very little difference in my life, especially for a couple more months (until U.S. release). The OP asked why people are disappointed. As a heavy user for managing my workday, especially while traveling, I explained why this is a significant step backwards from current BlackBerry functionality (as a reminder, I didn't say everything on the list was missing - the forum won't let me indent bullets so I can't show nested lists, only a few items were "missing", others were not nearly as good). For the things I, and many of my team, rely on, what was displayed today, and what has been revealed and commented on in about a dozen reviews today, some core functionality in work management (specifically emails, calendar, and calling) has been downgraded significantly (for heavy users). Light users, or users with different needs may not even notice.

Also, as a reminder, in portrait mode, PlayBook email doesn't have a split screen. Yet, email management in some ways is better than the Z10 (i.e., switching between emails).

I'm not sure why you're trying to assign random emotions to my responses or trying to talk me out of reasons for disappointment. The reasons for heavy users of mail, calendar, and calls are, as of today, all valid and of great concern. They may not be valid at the time of U.S. release, and then if someone posts a question about disappointment, I won't list these as reasons.
    kirson likes this.
    01-30-13 06:46 PM
    i'm not disappointed. i'll have my z10 next week! i might take a day off from work just to get acquainted with it
    I'll be doing the same thing
    01-30-13 06:48 PM
    Two months from now in the flagship market of the known universe is too goddamned late!!!!
    the rest of the world yawned
    416to604, kenorian and bungaboy like this.
    01-30-13 06:53 PM
    A couple of things to start...

1-Poor maps implementation
    2-From reviews so far looks like it has poor battery life
    3-long boot time
    4-Not gorilla glass
    5-Nothing new that would make the average iPhone/android users go wow
    Lol you think 99% percent of users buy a phone for Gorilla Glass gimme a break....
    01-30-13 06:58 PM
    It just seems they weren't as thoughtful of the fine details given the time the OS has been under development; the fact that there are SEVERAL hallmark BlackBerry features and functionality that have been removed/omitted in this new platform is beyond perplexing.

And I fear that the 1-2 month delayed availability in the US market - the market in which BlackBerry MOST needed to regain footing - will be a significant momentum killer and really damage their chances here (regardless of which party is primarily responsible)...I know that there are many folks who would have loved to go pick up a Z10 in the next week or two, but will not wait 2 months while the honeymoon memories fade, and they'll go pick up a Nexus 4 or GS4 or something and that will be that...and Samsung and Apple is sure to pounce on this reprieve.
    01-30-13 06:58 PM
    Here is a good example of Sprint Newsroom | Sprint to Bring Truly Unlimited 4G LTE to BlackBerry Q10 Smartphone it's the carriers at fault not RIM..As myself loyal Sprint customer for years and hearing their decisions for us as their BB customers..."announced plans to carry the new BlackBerry� Q10 smartphone later this year." These aren't the words we wanted to hear...
    This is why I am getting out of my Sprint contract and going with Verizon or T-Mobile. I like Sprint, I really do, but they are always the last with EVERYTHING. They aren't even offering the Z10. Why? Probably because they are Apple lovers now and don't want a new phone getting in the way of their precious iPhones.
    01-30-13 07:02 PM
    So - the reviews are all over the map. Gellar's BGR was brutal (and outright incorrect in spots), CNETs was tough, but others like MobileSyrups and David Pogue's seem pretty good.

I am a bit concerned when I read about the browser. It sounds like it has the same issues with rendering speed and checkerboarding caused by JavaScript performance as the PlayBook does. I'm surprised this is so hard for RIM's Torch team at this point. I give them credit in that the Browser on the 9800 was a big leap over what was on BlackBerry 5; and the PlayBook browser was an improvement over that, but they just can't seem to nail the speed.
    01-30-13 07:03 PM
    Lol you think 99% percent of users buy a phone for Gorilla Glass gimme a break....
    I'm confused. I can't seen where he said 99% of people buy a phone for Gorilla Glass. Maybe I missed it.

The OP asked, Why are you disappointed? Shlooky gave 5 reasons. They may not be my five reasons, but they are Shlooky's five reasons.
    Berrywannabe and Shlooky like this.
    01-30-13 07:06 PM
    WOW, hypercritical does not even begin to describe what I am seeing today......how come someone has not been disappointed with Heins tie choice or shoes????? Anyone disappointed in the amount of disappointment? I know I am.....Frustration is where expectation and reality intersect........
    01-30-13 07:08 PM
    I totally can't understand the criticism either, unjust criticism I should say. Android and iOS were nothing special when released and had far less apps at launch. BB10 has only just launched!! This is the first version of it. It's not going to be perfect but even right now not only have they brought an exciting new and potentially great platform to market, they have brought some nice features this user experience is looked fast and intuitive.
    The difference here is neither Apple or Google had previous mobile operating systems. BlackBerry does. BB10 fails to carry over some key features and functionality of OS6 and 7 that power users really appreciate.

I'm not a "Power user" but I want the ability to have different ringtones/alert tones for different message types. That's gone. I want POP email pushed to me with BIS like it has been since I first bought a BlackBerry two years ago. That's gone.
    Berrywannabe likes this.
    01-30-13 07:12 PM
    I cant believe it. All this hype and buildup. All over the news today. Superbowl ad in a couple of days. And the phone wont be available in the US until mid march at the earliest??? What a wasted effort and how disappointing.
    01-30-13 07:15 PM
    Lets see.
    I'm on Sprint you see.
    Someone there who has power is a genius and only allowed the Q10 through. Which wouldn't be too much a problem, however, they forgot to mention that the Q10 WILL FREAKING BE AVAILABLE IN APRIL.
    DO YOU KNOW HOW LONG THAT IS!? I had my 9930 stolen and am using a 9330 which can barely keep the charge. AND NOW I CAN'T UPGRADE UNTIL FREAKING APRIL.
    Winning the CrackBerry contest? Good Job YOU STILL HAVE TO WAIT AN EXTRA 50 MONTHS.

end rant
    01-30-13 07:20 PM
    I'm not at all disappointed. I am definitely getting a Z10 now!
    01-30-13 07:24 PM
  22. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    getting mine February 5th! can't wait ... will decide for myself ..not from Analysts with hidden agendas .... let the consumer decide, Period. Looks great to me!
    TomJasper and bungaboy like this.
    01-30-13 07:28 PM
    I am disappointed because the stock dropped and engadgets review was quite short and more or less a list of faults and what they liked briefly listed with more or less nothing substantial. I was also disappointed when glancing over the crackberry review. I feel like of the reviews I have read there is not one that is truly comprehensive. Crackberry's seemed too.... undetailed? I am about to go read it again as I kind of skimmed in between finals during the day. Overall I feel it wasn't the cleanest launch but I will likely buy it anyways. Something tells me battery life being bad is being overstated.

Edit: Also March... I get it but I WANT NOW! *Rage*
    Also people saying US is make or break.... Hahahaha you're funny.
    US = Ridicule.
    Rest of world = sales.

Growth will be in the US but I feel like sales in the UK and Canada will cushion their bottom line which is what THEY need. Like it or not the US is the majority of Apples herd so it would be a difficult battle launching here. Then there is the fact that our carriers seem to have some mental deficiency...
    416to604 likes this.
    01-30-13 07:31 PM
    I'm disappointed becuase it seems like BB is striving for mediocrity. I was seriously thinking about upgrading my Curve 8830 to a Z10 but now I'll probably wait a few months and see how things go.

I haven't used it so I can't comment on the software (although all the "meh" reviews are not encouraging) but I'm not crazy about the desig; the plastic trim at the top and bottom and the gap all around the screen make it seem more like a mid-tier Android device than a flagship smart phone (I'm thinking about the seemless look of the Galaxy S3, iPhone, and the Lumia 920). It's a personal thing, yes, but it matters to me.
    01-30-13 07:32 PM
    A couple of things to start...

1-Poor maps implementation
    2-From reviews so far looks like it has poor battery life
    3-long boot time
    4-Not gorilla glass
    5-Nothing new that would make the average iPhone/android users go wow
    4. Are you sure? Gorilla Glass
    Price - nuff said. $800 for a "ok" phone. Good luck with that **** RIM err Blackberry.
    I could've swore it was $599., maybe you have another source....

But on another note my only disappointments were the keynote, they didn't dive deep into the OS like they should have, leaving these tech reviewers to do so and they leave things out that does differentiate it from other OS. I'm in the US and will be waiting on Sprint because i still want my phone. Some of you are acting like this is is for the rest of the year for BB10, Blackberry is on vacation for the rest of the year and we are waiting till 2014 for the next phones and upgrades. BBJAM Europe is next week i'm sure we're going to see more new things coming and as BB picks up in their strong markets it will have a good outlook as it prepares to launch in the US. Why listen to a reviewers who doesn't like what you like, because you think he's being "honest"?
    meltbox360 and bungaboy like this.
    01-30-13 07:39 PM
147 12345 ...