Does anyone have any theories on why the carriers here in the U.S are being so tight lipped about a release date....or any info for that matter on the Z 10?

I would love to hear any theories that someone else has on the subject because I am beyond frustrated with trying to get information out of AT&T or Verizon!!
    03-10-13 08:34 PM
    Because they always do this.
    03-10-13 08:35 PM
    Well, not always! I remember when the original IPhone came out and AT&T had exclusive rights to it. They promoted that baby like there was no tomorrow!
    03-10-13 08:39 PM
    Let me re-phrase. Because they always do this to BlackBerry.
    cd1105 and AbsoluteT23 like this.
    03-10-13 08:45 PM
    Carriers rarely advertise or even make announcements about availability dates until its like 1 week out.
    03-10-13 08:49 PM
    You do mean....U.S carriers?
    03-10-13 09:00 PM
    They have their heads so far up apples rear end
    03-10-13 09:08 PM
    I think it's because Blackberry is a Canadian product. As for its construction it is of higher quality than the ones made at low cost in foreign low labor cost countries. Many big US investors have huge amounts of money riding on the shares and partnerships with the other manufactures. They are not anxious to see any other competition ride against their investments. There are a lot of complicated politics behind this.

There are some people in the US who managed to get a Z10 and were able to get it activated with their US carrier.

Here in Canada there are areas where the new Z10 has been outselling the other phones by 3:1. Many of the stores ran out of Z10's and they are waiting for more of them. The distributors were amazed at how well the Z10 has been selling. I was reading that in Asia and in Europe the Blackberry sales are up. In a few weeks the Q10 is supposed to be released. I don't know a release date for it. I only know what I have been reading in the tech news reports.

Another interesting thing is when the Z10 was released the Playbook sales went very strong. When I went to get our Z10 phones, the people were buying the Playbook at the same time. I wanted a new 4G Playbook and they were out of them. I have the older WiFi version. I called around many of the dealers and they are all out of them. I called the telephone company I am with, and they told me they don't know when the next order for them is coming in.

I have been using a Z10 for about a month now. We have a number of them. Everyone loves the phone. It is the best phone I have ever tried!
    03-10-13 09:31 PM
    Isn't Mexico a low labor rate country?? Most all of the Z10 reports from owners I have read about are made in Mexico?
    skibnik likes this.
    03-10-13 09:51 PM
    building the anticipation! Don't worry though, you will love your Zed10!!
    03-10-13 09:52 PM
    The one and only reason is they don't want to advertise something that will keep customers from buying what is available RIGHT NOW. If they say the next best thing will be available in 3 weeks, some people will wait. Well, the carriers don't want that, they want you buying a phone right now.

I personally think it's a short sighted approach though. Currently I am past my contract renewal date, but I am still paying a higher per month price based on my discount I received when I started this two year deal. Verizon buys a phone for (lets just say...) $500 from BlackBerry. They turn around and sell it for $200. They don't lose that $300, they add that in to the per month charge over your 2 year contract. Now, I am past those two years, but I'm still paying a monthly price that has the discount surcharge built in well after I have paid that off. If I now go and renew my contract, well that surcharge is now back to paying off a discount instead of being 100% profit for VZW.

That is why I never understand when carriers want to sell me a new phone as soon as my contract is up. Sure, I'm not locked in for another 2 years, but if I didn't leave the second my contract was up, than most likely I'm not leaving. They should want to advertise a phone that is going to be available in 3 weeks and start the presale now. Get me locked in to a phone weeks before it will cost them money to sell it to me, while I am still paying a premium for my last contract which has already been paid off, but I still have to pay....
    mookieson likes this.
    03-10-13 09:56 PM
    Anastasiophan....you hit the nail on the head with your reply!! I am in the same boat as you, contract has been up for eight months now and I have been patiently (well, not so patiently) waiting for this new phone!

I would love to buy a phone outright and put it on Straight Talk! I could save a ton of money from not paying the overpriced plans the carriers have, but alas, I don't think the Z 10 will work on Straight Talk??
    03-10-13 10:05 PM
    Silence always works in favor of the carrier and not the consumer or product owner.

Posted via CB10, BB10, Z10
    03-10-13 10:11 PM
    If anyone figures out a way to get data on Straight Talk with the Z10 I would love to hear how you did it?
    03-10-13 10:17 PM
    Probably because it's a Blackberry and not an iPhone.
    AbsoluteT23 and sonicwheeler like this.
    03-10-13 10:30 PM
    If anyone figures out a way to get data on Straight Talk with the Z10 I would love to hear how you did it?
    I doubt it that straigtht talk will carry it since most of their phones are not new. Maybe cricket will, since they're only the prepaid carrier who has the s3 right after the 4 carriers released it. I've got my fingers cross.
    03-10-13 10:31 PM
    I live in Wyoming and cell service is not the best when it comes to the lowest populated state in the Union lol If I lived in a metro area my choice of carriers would be a lot easier.
    03-10-13 10:55 PM
    The reason is this :
    03-10-13 11:09 PM
    straight talk should work fine. Just slip a straight talk SIM in the phone and it should work like any other phone
    03-10-13 11:14 PM
    straight talk should work fine. Just slip a straight talk SIM in the phone and it should work like any other phone
    You probably could do that. I think they're still offering BYOD. Just make sure it runs on AT&T and not TMO.
    03-10-13 11:23 PM
    I thought I read on a post here that you could use straight talk and get phone and text but no data using straight talk?? Looks like the silence from AT&T is about to be broken tomorrow....if the rumors are true??
    el_excelsior likes this.
    03-11-13 11:19 AM
    I thought I read on a post here that you could use straight talk and get phone and text but no data using straight talk?? Looks like the silence from AT&T is about to be broken tomorrow....if the rumors are true??
    That's the way it seems, the problem is not being able to change the apn to straighttalk's ATT.MVNO

This is a dealbreaker. If I get one with AT&T, I'll be limited to 3GB's of data.
    Last edited by ovalfastlx; 03-13-13 at 04:58 PM.
    03-13-13 04:17 PM