Hi Guys

It reall ybreaks my heart to write this thread but I wanted to share my experience with the Z10 from launch and why im returning it.

I have been a Blackberry user since the 7000 series and currently use a 9790 for corporate use and 9900 for personal use. I swithered between the Z10 and Q10, following all the pre-launch chatter and decided to bite the bullet and take a Z10 from launch.

The phone is amazing, its so well built and the OS is liquid smooth! It was a joy to use the device for a few days, even the keyboard became very user friendly after a short period of time. My thinking behind the Z10 was that i would be able to merge both work and personal devices and do away with 2 phones in future... my companies IT team were nothing short of ignorant when it came to BB10 and didnt have a clue how it would work, suggesting Good as an alternative to provisioning a personal BB for corporate use.

In the end, our BES platform wont support BB10 so im still stuck with at least 2 devices, I can live with that though.

Converting from a 9900 to a Z10 just isnt an option at the moment. I grew tired over the years of having people say that "theres no apps on Blackberry" when my 9900 was stuffed with app's and I certainly didnt want for any app that wasnt already on my BB. What I find now is that my Z10 has no purpose for me other than a sexy paperweight, I have no Spotify, no Endomondo, no banking app, no Expensify, no whatsapp, no blackberry travel, no Sky Sports Football app... and im stunned that Blackberry didnt try and get Starbucks to sort out their act and get an app for BB10 as well.

None of the apps i use on BB7 are on BB10, i have manaually added music to the phone which sorts the lack of tunes issues, but no gps tracker for sports, no whatsapp and no banking app are big issues for me. I know that all these have been confirmed by Blackberry for launch, but neither Blackberry or the app makers are putting dates on when these will launch, laving me in a tricky position.

So with great disappointment, I have today boxed up my Z10 and will be returning it... when these apps launch and if my IT department pull their finger out their *** and sort out BES then I will definitely return. The phone and the OS are a joy to use and gather a lot of attention!

Come on Blackberry, lets sort those apps!
    02-08-13 04:20 AM
    it seems you didn't research well, you'll know that whatsapp isn't out yet. why forcing to buy Z10 only to dissapoint yourself and then tell your story here? If i were you, i would wait untill my apps need is ready
    morganplus8 and Fatz_z like this.
    02-08-13 04:34 AM
    Not surprised at the lack of a Starbucks app. All they care about over their is horrible Tim Hortons.

It would be very nice to get a Nero app, or even a Costa one. Then again, I spend far too much in coffee shops already.

Sorry the Z10 didnt work out for you, hopefully the app selection will be better around the time that the Q10 comes out. Maybe also you can confince your IT team to convert from Goot Tech to BES10.
    bjacob likes this.
    02-08-13 04:47 AM
    You know what? I don't like to see an unhappy customer but if I HAVE to see someone return their z10, this post is at least pretty classy. I'd rather see a post like this instead of some crazy old nut raving like a lunatic about fonts and reading glasses, weird problems that they make up, and leaving for an OS that nobody's even usingnjbb
    02-08-13 04:57 AM
    Good return your Z10 I am sure your carrier will find a happier home for it.

I work for an MSP in Toronto. Our clients are asking about connecting their Z10's to BES, yes explain it's not possible but in the short-term providing they get approval from management we'll get them hooked up on ActiveSync. What's going to kicking those in the **** who are reading this for the first time, BES10 is just another MDM service that BBRY bought and repackaged. BES10 really only manages the device on a enterprise level, it does not connect you to your email like BES5 does thus you still sync through Microsoft's ActiveSync to get your email, contacts, calendar, tasks. If your IT folk have their Microsoft GOLD certifications they should be able to configure ActiveSync to enforce a policy on ActiveSync users, device password, etc. This will save them a lot of headaches in the short-term until they work out a plan to get BES10 working in the environment.

I haven't installed BES10 yet on either a standalone or my personal SBS server, but I have configured my ActiveSync accordingly and I am getting all my emails, contact, tasks (memopad), calendar data. I noticed in the Z10 once you have setup your email using the Microsoft ActiveSync that you can go back into the settings and select the folders you want to sync if you are like me and have rules in place. I couldn't do this on my PB so its nice to see the Z10 supports it.
    LyoobaBerry likes this.
    02-08-13 05:18 AM
    Sports tracker on BB10 seems like a good substitute for Endomondo and currently I'm making use of Facebook messaging in place of WhatsApp until its release. I know it's not a full on substitute but it will suffice for now, with the side loaded Facebook Messenger app to help out.

It's a pity the developers weren't a bit more on the ball - it's sad to see so many people returning these due to the delay in WhatsApp etc.
    Fnen90 likes this.
    02-08-13 06:50 AM
    What is with people buying a phone that has been out a week and complaining about lack of apps or comparing it to phones that have been accumulating apps for six years!?
    Cracklen, KemKev, cman5 and 3 others like this.
    02-08-13 07:03 AM
    Looks like admins need to create a new category "BlackBerry Z10 - Why I'm returning", there are soooo many threads already opened with different reasons for return
    02-08-13 07:05 AM
    No apps from BB7 are in BB10?. Why didn't we think of that?, but please keep in mind that Z10 has 70,000 apps...uhmm I guess that probes to be an unworthy claim for the daily business user.

Wait, did I say business user? something Blackberry was proud of? ... So they spent almost a year postponing release dates to come up with something that is not meeting real users expectations? yours is not the only one.

But, hey there is the hub, and we changed the name of app world, please call it Blackberry World and please check out the new flow... but apps? you have to wait because quantity doesn't mean quality. And by wait I mean wait.....

I am sorry to hear your story, If I were you I would be disappointed to and return the Z10 that was sold with so many expectations.

I second the bb10_fan proposal. Please create a new Z10 category "BlackBerry Z10 - Why I'm returning"
    02-08-13 07:23 AM
    I actually did research well nike.stars, whatsapp isnt a huge issue I can live without it... what gripes me is that it was announced that it would be supported on BB10, like my banking app and spotify... and now the product has launched no-one can say when the apps will be out. Z10 is a step back from the 9900 in terms of apps and it really pains me to say that. Also, im not dissappointed in the phone, the phone is nothing short of amazing and really kicks the arse out of Jellybean and iOS, it just doesnt work for me as I though tit would, I would need 3 phones to continue my daily routines which isnt ideal.
    02-08-13 07:40 AM
    What is with people buying a phone that has been out a week and complaining about lack of apps or comparing it to phones that have been accumulating apps for six years!?
    ShaneN Im not just comparing this to any phone, im comparing this to another Blackberry... it doesnt matter if the phone has been out for a week or not, its apparent that it will take a lot more time for the platform to be adopted by IT departments and app developers all over. This is testament to the fact that Skype is going to be an Android port and not a custom build.
    Fnen90 and jdhooghe like this.
    02-08-13 07:42 AM
    You know what? I don't like to see an unhappy customer but if I HAVE to see someone return their z10, this post is at least pretty classy. I'd rather see a post like this instead of some crazy old nut raving like a lunatic about fonts and reading glasses, weird problems that they make up, and leaving for an OS that nobody's even usingnjbb
    Thanks omniousovermind, it does pain me to return it as its a truly amazing phone and additions like Bluetooth 4 are a welcome addition, it just doesnt meet all my needs now. I will definitely be returning though when the support improves. Long live the 9900 (for now!).
    Spawn12 likes this.
    02-08-13 07:44 AM
    Always good to insult someone who discovered that their purchase didn't work out for them and then dares come here to explain why.

How typical and narrow minded.
    inffy, jdhooghe, cman5 and 9 others like this.
    02-08-13 07:44 AM
    OP seems to have an issue with what others think of his choices..... I will never understand how people expect a first generation smartphone to have everything!!! The idea for a new platform is to adopt and grow... if users had the same adittude as the OP Android would not exist today... Time for people to so a little research... if the OP had bothered to check to see if the APPS they needed were available and found out they were not he could gave made an informed choice.....and we would not have this thread and I would not have wasted 5 minutes of my life.....
    02-08-13 07:46 AM
    Thanks omniousovermind, it does pain me to return it as its a truly amazing phone and additions like Bluetooth 4 are a welcome addition, it just doesnt meet all my needs now. I will definitely be returning though when the support improves. Long live the 9900 (for now!).
    I still love my 9900 as well. I'm just not using it anymore. Sorry to hear the Z10 didn't work out. Are you returning it or would you like to sell it?
    02-08-13 07:46 AM
    Have to agree with a few of the posters here who havent slated the OP for his post. Unlike others, who have bought the device then come on here and rage about how apps are missing blah blah or other stupid things etc, it makes a ncie change that the OP who likes the phone itself but cant live without certain apps, has decided to return it.

Better for him to return the phone then to constantly come on here and moan about certain things. One of the reasons why ive held off getting one myself due to the lack of apps and i want to see BB10 improve as it seems to be missing some functionality before i plonk down alot of money for it. Suffice to say i will be getting one though but might wait till the Q10 is out...by then hopefully alot fo these bugs and missing apps will have been fixed or be available for the BB10.
    cman5 likes this.
    02-08-13 07:51 AM
    Goodbye, we dont need u!
    gp656 likes this.
    02-08-13 05:44 PM
    ShaneN Im not just comparing this to any phone, im comparing this to another Blackberry... it doesnt matter if the phone has been out for a week or not, its apparent that it will take a lot more time for the platform to be adopted by IT departments and app developers all over. This is testament to the fact that Skype is going to be an Android port and not a custom build.

perhaps a playstation vita is more up your alley?
    02-09-13 04:11 AM
    Thanks for giving the Z10 a chance. Platform transitions take time and you are facing two of them (BB7 apps vs BB10 apps and Legacy BES vs BES 10). Someone dependent on apps not currently available and on BES 5.x is not a good fit for switching to Z10 at launch, just like the original iPhone would not have been a good fit for someone used to a BlackBerry and BES at that time.

If you can, please write to the makers of your favorite apps that you want to see a BlackBerry 10 version and you're disappointed that it wasn't available at launch.

Regarding BES, BlackBerry 10 *is* supported by BES but it requires BES 10 or above. Your IT department will eventually upgrade or enable Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync (which is already supported on BlackBerry 10). After iPhone grew in enterprise adoption, IT departments had to make updates to or upgrade Microsoft Exchange servers as well. It all takes time.

Hopefully, by the time you are willing to try again, most of these issues will be fixed.
    cman5 likes this.
    02-09-13 04:56 AM
    Return it with a note saying that if u still have it, thats the best way and i hope they learn from every user...i always will say thats why BlackBerry is losing its users. They only think about Business/Enterprises users that can buy any app but, there are a lot of people that dont like to buy apps just for fun...they need CROSS PLATFORM APPS...the ones u just said...its my opinion.
    Hi Guys

It reall ybreaks my heart to write this thread but I wanted to share my experience with the Z10 from launch and why im returning it.

I have been a Blackberry user since the 7000 series and currently use a 9790 for corporate use and 9900 for personal use. I swithered between the Z10 and Q10, following all the pre-launch chatter and decided to bite the bullet and take a Z10 from launch.

The phone is amazing, its so well built and the OS is liquid smooth! It was a joy to use the device for a few days, even the keyboard became very user friendly after a short period of time. My thinking behind the Z10 was that i would be able to merge both work and personal devices and do away with 2 phones in future... my companies IT team were nothing short of ignorant when it came to BB10 and didnt have a clue how it would work, suggesting Good as an alternative to provisioning a personal BB for corporate use.

In the end, our BES platform wont support BB10 so im still stuck with at least 2 devices, I can live with that though.

Converting from a 9900 to a Z10 just isnt an option at the moment. I grew tired over the years of having people say that "theres no apps on Blackberry" when my 9900 was stuffed with app's and I certainly didnt want for any app that wasnt already on my BB. What I find now is that my Z10 has no purpose for me other than a sexy paperweight, I have no Spotify, no Endomondo, no banking app, no Expensify, no whatsapp, no blackberry travel, no Sky Sports Football app... and im stunned that Blackberry didnt try and get Starbucks to sort out their act and get an app for BB10 as well.

None of the apps i use on BB7 are on BB10, i have manaually added music to the phone which sorts the lack of tunes issues, but no gps tracker for sports, no whatsapp and no banking app are big issues for me. I know that all these have been confirmed by Blackberry for launch, but neither Blackberry or the app makers are putting dates on when these will launch, laving me in a tricky position.

So with great disappointment, I have today boxed up my Z10 and will be returning it... when these apps launch and if my IT department pull their finger out their *** and sort out BES then I will definitely return. The phone and the OS are a joy to use and gather a lot of attention!

Come on Blackberry, lets sort those apps!
    02-09-13 05:21 AM
    Thats the point...they should've done this before the launch but seems like they only cared about the hardware this time and no apps at all...where are the 70k Apps ??...

Not surprised at the lack of a Starbucks app. All they care about over their is horrible Tim Hortons.

It would be very nice to get a Nero app, or even a Costa one. Then again, I spend far too much in coffee shops already.

Sorry the Z10 didnt work out for you, hopefully the app selection will be better around the time that the Q10 comes out. Maybe also you can confince your IT team to convert from Goot Tech to BES10.
    harris hpe likes this.
    02-09-13 05:24 AM
    if you plan on returning once these needs are filled why return it, personally i would wait. i myelf was goign to wait a few weeks till after some tweeks have been made but i just didn't want to wait and any little issues it may have i can and am willing to deal with. its only a matter of time before apps come and BlackBerry puts out a patch to fix whatever little issues there are but i am still happy with my purchase and i don't regret making it
    cman5 and KemKev like this.
    02-09-13 09:41 AM
    Unfortunately there is no way to quantify "a matter of time".
    02-09-13 09:45 AM
    Im absolutely staggered by some of the responses on here... its clear that most of you are blinded by one word... "apps".

I hate apps, detest the idea and advertisement machine that follows that damned word. The z10 is missing functionality as it is an inferior phone to a 9900. I can do things on my 9900 that I cant do on my Z10 and in this day and age that is unnaceptable. Im not just toalking about apps but basic functionality that we BB users have been accustomed to for many years. Simple touches like seeing your mobile number on the call screen, delete from mailbox and device options, facebook reminders for anniversary's and links to leave messages... this is simple stuff that should not have gone missing.

It is a great phone but its not for hardcore Blackberry users in my opinion, and certainly not for corporate use.
    jdhooghe likes this.
    02-11-13 04:09 AM
    Thanks for giving the Z10 a chance. Platform transitions take time and you are facing two of them (BB7 apps vs BB10 apps and Legacy BES vs BES 10). Someone dependent on apps not currently available and on BES 5.x is not a good fit for switching to Z10 at launch, just like the original iPhone would not have been a good fit for someone used to a BlackBerry and BES at that time.

If you can, please write to the makers of your favorite apps that you want to see a BlackBerry 10 version and you're disappointed that it wasn't available at launch.

Regarding BES, BlackBerry 10 *is* supported by BES but it requires BES 10 or above. Your IT department will eventually upgrade or enable Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync (which is already supported on BlackBerry 10). After iPhone grew in enterprise adoption, IT departments had to make updates to or upgrade Microsoft Exchange servers as well. It all takes time.

Hopefully, by the time you are willing to try again, most of these issues will be fixed.
    Thanks for the reply b320, great post! Already contacted the app makers in question and have also started discussions with my IT department into an upgrade although it is tricky due to the size of the company and the logistics involved. Will keep you all posted though.
    cman5 likes this.
    02-11-13 04:10 AM
78 123 ...