Seeing a recent posting where a potential Z10 buyer reported a Verizon dealer warned that if they used Skype, Pandora, or Instagram, they wouldn't be able to use those apps, why doesn't Blackberry simply provide dealers with instructions/software to side-load a variety of apps for a user when they purchase a new phone?

User doesn't have to know anything. Dealer lists off a bunch of apps that aren't currently on the phone but can be side-loaded there. User can do this themselves if they want to save the charge. Dealer makes some extra money and Blackberry sells some more phones.
    05-10-13 02:36 PM
    Probably because side loaded apps aren't from "official" sources and are unsupported and can also screw up your phone.
    05-10-13 02:44 PM
    From BBRY Dev relations:

�We don�t condone piracy, If you don�t have a license to distribute that app, that�s effectively what it is.
    According to BBRY, sideloading is piracy.
    05-10-13 02:49 PM
    it is called the 'walled garden at play"... ala Apple..... BB only wants you to use BB World when getting apps..... at this point BB allows sideloading.... but if it gets rampant... BB could put a stop to it if they want to....
    05-10-13 02:58 PM
    it is called the 'walled garden at play"... ala Apple..... BB only wants you to use BB World when getting apps..... at this point BB allows sideloading.... but if it gets rampant... BB could put a stop to it if they want to....
    No, I'm pretty sure BB is more interested in not being sued by developers who haven't permitted them to distribute their applications as noted in a previous post.
    Vorkosigan likes this.
    05-10-13 03:07 PM
    It's not theft if you've purchased the app you wanna sideload.

Posted via CB10
    05-10-13 03:14 PM

Posted via CB10
    Read your user agreement for the purchased app. Also, how would you justify a free app?
    05-10-13 03:21 PM

Posted via CB10
    Even if that's technically true for you (and in many cases it is not, the terms of your purchase forbid it), it is definitely not legal for the dealer or Blackberry to distribute "sideloaded" apps.
    05-10-13 03:55 PM
    Of course it is.
    05-10-13 05:14 PM
    I thought android was open source? In linux open source people take and do what they with apps/software, make changes to it etc. Is that not piracy also?
    05-10-13 05:26 PM
    I thought android was open source? In linux open source people take and do what they with apps/software, make changes to it etc. Is that not piracy also?
    OS vs apps; you cannot take apps and use them as you wish unless a developer gives permission (you do find this on XDA). You can't just take, say, a banking app and start messing with the apk.

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong
    05-10-13 05:34 PM