I recently bought a new Z10 (my 3rd Z10) as I love this phone, i want to duplicate my old Z10 and switch to the new one. I tried the switch procedure on the Blackberry Link but it failed then tried to back up the old Z10 and got the error message backup didn't complete . I checked all possible configuration and the phone gets recognised by the link but fails to backup, very frustrating.
    09-05-15 01:23 AM
    usually device switch is the thing to do. Have you restarted the PC?
    09-06-15 06:07 PM
    So many problems with Link backup. I've been getting this error, no successful backup for months. Error message not informative!

There are no doubt many reasons for the dreaded 'backup did not complete' but I have found my solution. If it helps you too..

Thanks to another post here (sorry can't find it again, but thanks to you nameless one!), who suggested a timeout error when backing up lots of apps.

I uninstalled all apps (keeping option to reinstall) which I wasn't using.

Reduced to about 50 apps.

Backup worked!

All Hail Thorsten. Mother and Father of my Beloved Z10.
    09-07-15 01:44 PM
    So possibly a problem backing up an app that is running. Then the only issue is whether everything else backed up or did it just stop at that point. Then you can probably ignore the error.
    09-07-15 04:26 PM
    Unfortunately don't think you can ignore the error. Failed backup, nothing to restore.

Also don't think it's to do with running apps either, but the space the app is taking in storage.

That's my experience anyway.

09-07-15 05:01 PM
    So possibly a problem backing up an app that is running. Then the only issue is whether everything else backed up or did it just stop at that point. Then you can probably ignore the error.
    Clarification on my previous post: I see in the Link forum there are cases where specific apps are mentioned as not backing up. In that case, the rest of the backup might be usable, I don't know.

My case just gives the 'failed to complete' error, no apps mentioned. So possibly a different cause in the two cases.

09-07-15 05:58 PM