Blackberry fight for 3rd place is going to be a tough one. iOS/Google/Winmo all have their own email clients/ superior app stores/superior maps/superior hardware design etc etc. BYOD pretty much killed the enterprise market for blackberry (there's no need for companies to purchase and distribute thousands of blackberry), and there's no way for blackberry to compete with the big three in consumer sector (remember blackberry fell into this market, it was never their aim/mission). Marketing is the least of Blackberry's problems. The company has to first find an identity. The smartphone market changed drastically since 07, yet it took blackberry 4-5 years to acknowledge the change. The company is constantly throwing poo at the wall to see what sticks. Hopefully, they get back on program and surprise us this year with some great things.

Sent from iOS using Tapatalk
    What do you mean when you say "the company has to find an identity"?
    How tough will it really be to achieving the 3rd spot in the market???

When I think IOS, I think what did they do when they were selling phones(made of glass) that broke so frequently company's had to change their phone insurance policy's.

When I think Android, I think about how susceptible their OS is to viruses/malware and how no matter the hardware, your phone will ultimately drastically slow down.

Given these major issues, what do these company's do to survive?? Convince ppl that their devices are cool and a must have. In my opinion that takes a mean marketing push.

Posted via CB10
    FF22 likes this.
    03-30-14 11:22 AM
    Terrible marketing and lack of interest in the USA. I think that BlackBerry should focus their efforts to Enterprise, but should still remain competitive in the consumer market as well. Chen has a great plan in place to start selling BB10 en masse with the introduction of the Z3 as a high quality low-end device. With proper marketing and an LTE version for developed markets this phone could be a real revenue generator and start pushing BB10 sales upwards.

BB10 is the best operating system on the market, IMO. I really wish more people would have the opportunity to see how great it is.

Posted via CB10
    03-30-14 12:19 PM
    Every evening I sit down and watch about two hours of TV. Guess what I don't see - Blackberry! Watch the news, commercials, sitcoms and blackberry can not be found anywhere. Every night the news offers apps from it's website for weather alerts or other helpful apps, but they are for andriod and iphone only. Lets face it games probably sell more devices than any other app, so why it is that the the most advertised game platform is not available on blackberry. Every night the same thing over and over again at the end of every commercial " Available for download on iphone and andriod" You can't promote a brand that developers don't support.

The problem does start in your carriers stores. I was asking about the Q10 long before it was available in my local AT&T store. They never heard of it. Just happened that the screen died on my BB Bold died the same week it came out and they had it. The sales rep that I knew as a previous employee of mine, still tried to sell my a different brand. He didn't understand why I wanted a BB and not an iphone or andriod.

There is no amount of advertising that can match an informed salesperson and store displays can say a lot about a product. Get these phones out of the back and highlighted in the stores. They are not even in the same area with the other smartphones. WHY!

Having been in sales and managed a sales force for many years the best why to turn sales on something is to run an incentive program for the salespeople. Maybe instead of failed advertising BB should run incentives with the carriers to promote sales. On top of that they should be chasing down every option to download apps for iphone and andriod and make it available on BB too.

Until you address those two items BB can not compete.

I love my Q10 but it's like driving a car on E85 fuel, now I can only go to certain gas stations.
    Salesperson INCENTIVES. That has been proven to work for other products.

Posted via CB10
    03-30-14 03:52 PM
    All about the "cool " factor....

Posted via CB10
    03-30-14 11:03 PM
    There was an inexpensive way for them to market when they were releasing BB 10. They should have gone to 50 or 60 colleges in the US and just handed out 2 Z10's at each campus and let those kids play with it for 30 days. Those kids would have had the opportunity to see how good the device is and their friends on campus would've also had the chance to see as well. It probably would've cost BB about $50,000 but I believe they would've achieved better results with this approach rather than the approach they did take.
    03-30-14 11:25 PM
    What do you mean when you say "the company has to find an identity"?
    How tough will it really be to achieving the 3rd spot in the market???

When I think IOS, I think what did they do when they were selling phones(made of glass) that broke so frequently company's had to change their phone insurance policy's.

When I think Android, I think about how susceptible their OS is to viruses/malware and how no matter the hardware, your phone will ultimately drastically slow down.

Given these major issues, what do these company's do to survive?? Convince ppl that their devices are cool and a must have. In my opinion that takes a mean marketing push.

Posted via CB10
    Well, there you go. Some people think that iPhones are fragile. Some people think Android slow down and are prone to malware. Some people think BB10 has an unbearably sparse ecosystem. And so on and so forth, for each platform.

The problem is that there is a SIGNIFICANTLY more people that are willing to be in the first two groups than in the third. Now, the BB fan who is looking for an answer that doesn't provoke any thought says people buy (and keep buying) a device because it is cool, or are ovine in nature. Can't really argue with that. What I do believe is that both platforms are able to make compelling that products that resonate with consumers and -- increasingly -- enterprise folks.

I completely agree with BBRY finding it's identity. Consumer? Enterprise? Prosumer? Slabs? Physical Keyboards? BB10? Legacy OS? Runtime? Native? Target demographic with regards to pricing?

There is a lot of things going on that might shake the confidence of potential customers.
    03-31-14 12:00 AM
    There was an inexpensive way for them to market when they were releasing BB 10. They should have gone to 50 or 60 colleges in the US and just handed out 2 Z10's at each campus and let those kids play with it for 30 days. Those kids would have had the opportunity to see how good the device is and their friends on campus would've also had the chance to see as well. It probably would've cost BB about $50,000 but I believe they would've achieved better results with this approach rather than the approach they did take.
    Fair idea, but there is a risk seeding devices with the one demographic that would probably be most interested in popular third-party games and productivity software.
    03-31-14 12:02 AM
    As a long time BlackBerry user, I have had my up's and down's with BB. From 2010-2013 I felt like my phone just wasn't one of the best on the market, and I knew it. Small screen size, poor app selection etc..
    Fast forward to 2013 and BlackBerry 10 is absolutely awesome! Reading through post after post I see that most of us absolutely LOVE our BB10 devices. I have had mine for a year and continue to love it! Even Iphone5s and Samsung S4 users who have made the switch are loving BlackBerry!
    One year later, most people are still calling BlackBerry a failure, and for good reason, no sales!
    The frustration for me is hearing Iphone users who think they have a way better device because the media has told them so. "BlackBerry sucks" "I have a real phone" etc etc...
    I get to the point where I just want to say, my BlackBerry will blow your phone away! Fastest mobile browser on the market, by a mile! Best touchscreen keyboard going, most secure phone available, the list goes on and on...
    Yet, in the US the market share is near 0! Some of the best phones on the planet, and nobody wants it!

Obviously there has to be a strong marketing plan going forward to stop this madness! But what's the best way to do it?! A regular commercial showing a few features ? A commercial geared towards business phones? Show off the superior security that BlackBerry offers?
    Talk to people who have switched and how happy they are?

BlackBerry's perception is obviously poor, so my question is, how do you change that?
    What is the plan for John Chen and the marketing team? Also when will we see this marketing push?
    What would you do to get BlackBerry's reputation back to respectability?

Via The BlackBerry Z10 Experience.
    I think are questions many of us are wonderning what's wrong.

Blackberry 10 is an absolutly amazing OS - I'd go so for and say it is the best OS out there on the market.
    But people are not willing to give it a try and have to "old Blackberry" in their mind.
    They say "Blackberry sucks" without having even tried a OS10 device.

I mostly blame that on the ultra bad marketing.
    I live in Germany and many people don't even know Blackberry nor they know anything about OS10.
    And the People that know Blackberry Keep saying: "Oh yeah, Blackberry! Those are these buisness devices for email - why are you using them? Are they able to surf the internet?"

Many still think of devices like the 8700 when they hear about Blackberry.

The other thing is apps (we are on a good way with them).
    But IMO it's a death spin: People don't buy it because of the lack of app and developers won't develop because no people buy it.

Recently had one of these: "AHA moments" - got a friend with an iPhone 5s, his phone was off because his battery died.
    So he asked me, if he could use my phone to do some research on the internet.
    First he had that grin on his face: "Now let me see it your Blackberry is even able to surf the internet."
    After he had used it for 2mins. he was like: "Wow! That things is blazing fast and has flash!"
    and indeed it is really faster on the internet than the 5s.
    03-31-14 02:33 AM
133 ... 456