Something weird happened today and I had to do a battery pull. Screen would not respond to swipe up. Power key wouldn't work. No clue what happened. Only button working was the terrible voice command. First problem since owning the device. Did battery pull and all was normal again.

Posted via CB10
    Well that would be the real exception.

Posted via CB10
    rockivy likes this.
    05-15-13 09:51 PM
    I put this in another post recently:

My Windows laptop uses SSD (NAND based flash), but I can tell you that I don't ever yank the battery out from underneath it. I haven't seen any official statements from BlackBerry yet. It is possible that they've implemented some type of protection that helps protect the filesystem, but I doubt it. The short answer is that anything which interrupts a write has the potential of corrupting the filesystem on flash or at minimum losing any data that was about to be written to flash. When you pull the battery, there is a good chance that you will interrupt a write.

More info from third parties:

What kills your Flash Drive and how you can avoid it

Also, you should make sure to always remove flash media safely and never unplug the drive while it is reading or writing. Removing your flash drive incorrectly can corrupt the data. Flash data recovery may be your only option if you do not follow this important step.

http://cseweb.ucsd.edu/users/swanson...11PowerCut.pdf

The flash memory devices we studied in this work demonstrated unexpected behavior when power failure occurs. The error rates do not always decrease as the operation proceeds, and power failure can corrupt the data from operations that completed successfully.We also found that relying on blocks that have been programmed or erased during a power failure is unreliable, even if the data appears to be intact.

Z10 via T-Mobile (10.1.0.1762)
    05-15-13 09:54 PM
    I prefer not to battery pull because the tabs on the back cover will wear out.

Posted via CB10
    05-15-13 10:02 PM
    Had 10 freezes since my last post, held my power button for 10/15 seconds and it reboots! Have the z10 for 3 months now, and NEVER had to do a batt pull!!

Posted via CB10
    05-27-13 07:54 AM
    Whichever way works for you is great. For those that want to do a battery pull, it's their choice right? And the risk they take for "damaging the pins"?
    Mecca EL likes this.
    05-27-13 08:15 AM
    Whichever way works for you is great. For those that want to do a battery pull, it's their choice right? And the risk they take for "damaging the pins"?
    Sure, but they shouldn't be giving bad advice to others.
    05-27-13 08:34 AM
    It "annoys" the OP that so many people say we should do battery pulls. Gee. Who cares.

This thread needs a battery pull.
    Mecca EL and beamolite like this.
    05-27-13 09:50 AM
    hard reset vs soft reset...nothing is like removing the power source from an electronic device and depriving it of it's energy source, letting all the data clear from the RAM. So unless the power or reset button physically retracts the pins from the battery, there's a difference.
    Once again, holding the button down for 10 seconds, until you see the logo, is a hard reset, just like a battery pull. Think about it, if a third party developer could create Quick Pull, which does a hard reset without removing the battery, the actual developer of the device and OS can do it too, and have. There is no reason to remove the battery to accomplish a hard reset, BlackBerry built in the hard reset option.
    05-27-13 10:45 AM
    Ditto to post above. I guess old habits die slowly. Save the wear and tear on your Z, as well as some time and frustration. A few seconds of patience whilst you depress to reset will go long way.

Join the "Stop Battery Pull Foundation" today.

Posted via CB10
    05-27-13 10:52 AM
    Is that a division of the Brainless Twits Foundation?
    05-27-13 11:30 PM
    I am in the division that knows by experience that there is a difference between a reset and a battery pull. A few days after I got my Z10 the GPS stopped working. Switched the GPS off and on. No dice. Reset the phone twice, once with GPS on, another with it off. Again no dice. Then I pulled the battery. GPS was fixed instantly.

Posted via CB10
    05-27-13 11:57 PM
    Unreal that this is still acceptable amongst bb users, countless reasons from unresponsive OS to app wouldnt start to physical buttons not working.

Pull battery as last resort and cross fingers should be the new slogan rather than keep moving...
    05-28-13 12:29 AM
    Before the Z10 I sometimes used Hybrid OS's sometimes and some of them were great. Those guys knew what they were doing. One guy recommended a week long diet of decreasing-in-frequency battery pulls. A lot of people used to recommend once daily even after the OS was broken in.

For me, the truth is that I install an updated OS before I have cause to do a reset of any kind. My Z10 has been that solid despite my ceaseless fiddling with it. Every once in awhile I succumb to old habits and do a restart just because. Is there any difference between a "restart" and a complete shutdown and start?

Posted via CB10
    05-28-13 12:52 AM
38 12