Before I got the Z10 I had an android device running the Swiftkey keyboard. I specifically remember thinking there will never be another better keyboard invented than that. Ever. I was wrong. This keyboard is absolutely amazing. And that's saying A LOT, because I have very high respect for Swiftkey.

Posted via CB10
    KoukiFC3S, R Field and tp2386 like this.
    03-30-13 10:21 PM
    BB10 keyboard is based on swift key but way better.
    03-30-13 10:24 PM
    I haven't used the Z10 keyboard, but I think it is VERY good. As noted, it's based on Swiftkey. It doesn't have Flow, but for peck keyboards, it is rated very well by people I know who have used Swiftkey.
    03-30-13 11:09 PM
    The Z10 keyboard is one of the reasons I switched from Android.
    03-30-13 11:29 PM
    I originally came from BlackBerry Pearl way back in the day and I remember it having similar predictive capabilities. I'm not so sure Swiftkey wasn't based off early BlackBerry functionality, not the other way around.

Posted via CB10
    03-31-13 12:10 AM
    I like SwiftKey for its memory and learning of your words, but I believe the BB10 keyboard is even better.

From a keystroke to keystroke perspective, I didn't like the spacing between keys on SwiftKey and I found myself depending too much on the prediction & learned words.

The BB10 keyboard gives more than ample space if you choose to type each letter one-by-one.

However-- on any given Android device, I would still prefer SwiftKey.
    03-31-13 12:23 AM
    The blackberry keyboard could use something similar to the new Flow features on SwiftKey.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
    03-31-13 12:33 AM
    The blackberry keyboard could use something similar to the new Flow features on SwiftKey.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
    If it gets a good swiping keyboard, game over.
    03-31-13 12:39 AM
    I don't see how they can combine a swiping keyboard with 'flick' typing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    03-31-13 12:42 AM
    Yeah I had swiftkey too, and the z10 keyboard is better. Kind of hard to believe because when I saw the preview of the BB10 keyboard I was like meh, but this keyboard is awesome!!

Posted via CB10
    03-31-13 12:50 AM
    The blackberry 10 keyboard is swift key plus. It's got optimizations to regular swift key. Also, the hardware and optimization of the software for the hardware are also important.

Posted via CB10
    03-31-13 12:54 AM
    I moved from the 9930 to the galaxy s3, installed swift key which really helped with the transition from physical keyboard to touch screen but the upgrade from that to the Z10 is infinitely better, my s3 has been shelved.
    Bbry have hit the nail on the head with the z10 keyboard.

Posted via CB10
    03-31-13 01:13 AM

Never thought of that. It might conflict a bit.

Hopefully, someone gets a third-party keyboard with swiping capabilities, or we see Swype get ported over.
    03-31-13 02:24 PM
    Mmmmm, I'd debate that. Early days still for BB10, this is the foundation of the new OS, a great beginning... I think they have a road map / list of things they will be adding to the OS over time. I don't think BlackBerry is going to just stand still and let Apple or Android overtake them in areas where they have a competitive advantage. At least I hope not.

Posted via CB10
    03-31-13 03:36 PM
    The swiftkey software with the Blackberry mods is a fantastic piece of software. Kudos to both companies.

Posted via CB10
    03-31-13 03:40 PM
    Mmmmm, I'd debate that. Early days still for BB10, this is the foundation of the new OS, a great beginning... I think they have a road map / list of things they will be adding to the OS over time. I don't think BlackBerry is going to just stand still and let Apple or Android overtake them in areas where they have a competitive advantage. At least I hope not.

Posted via CB10
    I should have specified: game over with regards to virtual keyboard. I hear it's that good.

I'm better at swiping than pecking.
    03-31-13 03:40 PM
    I should have specified: game over with regards to virtual keyboard. I hear it's that good.

I'm better at swiping than pecking.
    Cheers, I misunderstood. I came from Apple iPhone 4S and for me it exceeded expectations. I won't use any other phone that can't match this experience as my main communication device.

Posted via CB10
    03-31-13 03:45 PM
    I'm a huge SwiftKey fan and have been using it for years. Besides the flicking up and the word it's suggesting in the space bar, features and predictions are almost identical. However there are a few nuances that I love and some that I don't. For example

Love:
    On SwiftKey, whenever I'd make ... it would always insert a space there and I had to go back and then start typing. On the BB10 keyboard it doesn't do that.

There was something else that I saw it do early on that was different from SwiftKey and now I've forgotten what that is! I just remember stopping and going "Whoa". I'll come back if I think of it.

Not crazy about:
    Number placement. On SwiftKey the number pas was like a computer's, but positioned to the left of the symbols. I preferred that.

I also liked how numbers and common symbols were put on the regular keys and just a press on a particular key would enter that symbol.

Can't enter a space in texts messages.

That's about it. I think having familiarity with SwiftKey definitely made my transition to this keyboard seemless. I still type way more than I flick just because I can type faster than I can think to check if the next letter is displaying the word I want or not, but I'm sure with practice it'll come.
    03-31-13 04:02 PM
    I'm a huge SwiftKey fan and have been using it for years. Besides the flicking up and the word it's suggesting in the space bar, features and predictions are almost identical. However there are a few nuances that I love and some that I don't. For example

Love:
    On SwiftKey, whenever I'd make ... it would always insert a space there and I had to go back and then start typing. On the BB10 keyboard it doesn't do that.

There was something else that I saw it do early on that was different from SwiftKey and now I've forgotten what that is! I just remember stopping and going "Whoa". I'll come back if I think of it.

Not crazy about:
    Number placement. On SwiftKey the number pas was like a computer's, but positioned to the left of the symbols. I preferred that.

I also liked how numbers and common symbols were put on the regular keys and just a press on a particular key would enter that symbol.

Can't enter a space in texts messages.

That's about it. I think having familiarity with SwiftKey definitely made my transition to this keyboard seemless. I still type way more than I flick just because I can type faster than I can think to check if the next letter is displaying the word I want or not, but I'm sure with practice it'll come.
    Yeah, I think flick typing is only of much use when typing one handed in portrait mode.

Two handed mode, I have the same experience as you do...I'm faster blazing away than stopping to look at the predicted word. I wonder how practice would improve that as my fingers seem faster than my 31 yr old brain can resolve the words that appear above some keys.

to their credit, BB was right...the keyboard does learn commonly used words and phrases...

pantlesspenguin likes this.
    04-01-13 05:10 AM
    On my Nexus 7, I use SwiftKey all the time. I rarely tap out words and just swipe through the words. Since I'm not tapping, I rarely use text prediction on SwiftKey anymore. It's just easier to swipe across the keys than to look across the top of the keyboard.

With my Z10, I flick words up all the time. It doesn't matter if I'm using one hand or two, I'm now used to seeing the words right on the keyboard and tossing them up. I think the big advantage is not having to look away from the keys, like I would on Android. Having the words across the top of the keyboard actually slowed my typing down (before SwiftKey added Flow).
    04-01-13 06:17 AM

They could make it an option like the different keyboards on Android.

Like Tre says....the keyboard itself (layout and learning of frequently used words) with Swiftkey would be orgasmic.
    04-01-13 07:48 AM
    I've adjusted to the new BB keyboard and am getting used to flicking, it works quite well.
    04-01-13 07:54 AM