Here is my non flash test!
    Attachment 196164
    08-27-13 07:23 AM
    Well I'm out and can't participate in this conversation. I've been stuck on 3G HSPA service since I got my Z10!

Bell told me either I change my ULT data plan that's provisioned so I can't get LTE service or stick with the 3G and ULT data plan. Would have been nice to have LTE but I think I made the best choice in the end. I can still do everything like stream movies or live TV so that's cool.

From my Z10 to YOU, BOO-YAH!
    08-27-13 07:30 AM
    I like LTE because of the HD phone calls... The sound quality is much better but sadly it only works when talking to someone else on LTE.
    Actually that's not correct. I'll never have LTE service because of my provisioned data plan but I still get HD calling over HSPA. If I'm not mistaken it's the network and the other persons phone has to have the same HD tech in their phone.

From my Z10 to YOU, BOO-YAH!
    tjseaman likes this.
    08-27-13 07:33 AM
    Crackberrians, actually, there is no voice calls in 4G / LTE.

4G has been designed to be packed core ONLY network (data), and with the intuition to compete with fix network solutions (such as fibre optics) .

Due to carrier pressure, there has been a strategy developed to support voice over 4G networks in two fases. Until final fase is available which is VoLTE (voice over LTE) we have CSFB (circuit switch fallback) . CSFB In pratical terms, means if you receive a voice call while you are in 4G / LTE network, you will fallback seamlessly to a 2G/3G network.

HSDPA + is a 3G radio access technology and not 4G, and it is only concerned with data (not voice calls), so leave HD out of HSDPA.

Not sure what is meant 4G being almost LTE, but I assume it is some marketing strategy by your carrier. Note, LTE is a 4G radio access technology according to 3GPP specifications.

Here is a funny clip, when Hitler finds out that voice is not supported over 4G networks:

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by digitalman101; 08-27-13 at 09:13 AM.
    AnimalPak200 likes this.
    08-27-13 08:23 AM
    LTE speedsWho needs LTE?-img_00000418.png

4G speeds Who needs LTE?-img_00000419.png

Ya I want LTE speeds for high data

Posted via my ZED10
    08-27-13 08:25 AM
    I did a test on LTE today and only got 13 but I got 5 up.

All depends on congestion, signal etc.

Posted via CB10
    08-27-13 08:59 AM
    A bit confused here, what do you mean by running in 4G and not LTE?

Posted via CB10
    HSPA+ is usually referred to as 4G but it is really an enhanced 3G.
    It can still be up to 42MBps in theory though.

Posted via CB10
    08-27-13 09:02 AM
    I like LTE because of the HD phone calls... The sound quality is much better but sadly it only works when talking to someone else on LTE.
    I get HD voice calls on HSPA+ as well

Posted via CB10
    08-27-13 09:04 AM
    LTE speedsClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_00000418.png 
Views:	471 
Size:	209.5 KB 
ID:	196183

4G speeds Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_00000419.png 
Views:	473 
Size:	210.0 KB 
ID:	196184

Ya I want LTE speeds for high data

Posted via my ZED10
    This pretty much exactly mirrors my LTE vs HSPA+ experience here in Canada on Bell.

Posted via CB10
    08-27-13 09:06 AM
    I would love a safe way to turn off LTE when I don't need it. If I had the choice of battery savings or fast download, I might be leaning towards battery more often than not.

However, the flip side is being able to plug your phone in, fire up the hotspot, and have a rocking connection for your PC on the go.

I want to do both these things, but I don't think LTE can safely be switched off.

Posted via CB10
    What do you mean by "safely switched off"?

I get very fast downloads with it off and I still tether.
    Now, having Tmobile though makes a difference as I think they had the fasted non LTE network. On Verizon you would want to leave LTE on

Posted via CB10
    08-27-13 09:06 AM

Posted via CB10
    Thank you, what you say is true. I know that HSDPA is a 3G radio access technology, and it only concerns mobile data. I guess, most people are not informed about this and for some reason are associating to 4G.

Please check my previous post, for those which are not informed.

Posted via CB10
    08-27-13 09:09 AM
    I don't have LTE in my country, but after seeing all your speed tests I hate you all

Who needs LTE?-2927206637.png

This is in my house with wifi connection
    08-27-13 09:11 AM
    Audio calls never go over the LTE network. Your phone bumps back down to HSPA+

Posted via CB10
    08-27-13 09:21 AM
    Audio calls never go over the LTE network. Your phone bumps back down to HSPA+

Posted via CB10
    What you have described is correct. It is CSFB, which carriers implement to overcome the no voice over 4G network. In near future, it will be implemented VoLTE Technology.

Posted via CB10
    08-27-13 09:25 AM
    There, I fixed it for you :-).

I hate CDMA. But I understand a CDMA carrier might be the best option for some.

Posted via CB10
    HSPA makes use of code division too, technically it is also CDMA, and EVDO Rev B is pretty fast too, so his first comment that "3G CDMA sucks" was closer to accurate.

At least RTT and EVDO aren't as boneheaded as GSM in that they use multiple towers, have soft handover, and don't just attach to the strongest single - making GSM terribly easy to man-in-the-middle
    08-27-13 09:34 AM

Posted via CB10
    HSPA can be up to 168 Mbps in theory (4 spatial layers and two bonded carriers)

future specification revisions have it up to twice that, as well.

the fastest implemented HSPA in the US is 42 Mbps - two bonded carriers and SiSO, but by the specifications it could be faster.
    21stNow likes this.
    08-27-13 09:39 AM
    Thank you, what you say is true. I know that HSDPA is a 3G radio access technology, and it only concerns mobile data. I guess, most people are not informed about this and for some reason are associating to 4G.

Please check my previous post, for those which are not informed.

Posted via CB10
    LTE does not meet IMT-Advanced requirements either (LTE-Advanced can in very built out configurations though), and 3GPP is not an authoritative body anyway, it's an industry group. The ITU is generally considered the authoritative body and authored IMT-Advanced specifications, which are what everyone is trying to hit and took to calling "4G".
    08-27-13 09:44 AM
    LTE does not meet IMT-Advanced requirements either (LTE-Advanced can in very built out configurations though), and 3GPP is not an authoritative body anyway, it's an industry group. The ITU is generally considered the authoritative body and authored IMT-Advanced specifications, which are what everyone is trying to hit and took to calling "4G".
    3GPP indeed is a industry partnership / standardization telecom body such as European ETSI. Mobile standards are developed under TS and issued by 3GPP forum.

Sorry, not sure what is your point... :- S

Posted via CB10
    08-27-13 10:07 AM
    3GPP indeed is a industry partnership / standardization telecom body such as European ETSI. Mobile standards are developed under TS and issued by 3GPP forum.

Sorry, not sure what is your point... :- S

Posted via CB10
    My point is twofold, first that you are mistaken in saying that 3GPP has ever referred to LTE as a 4G technology, and second being that they have any authority to define 4G..they themselves reference IMT-Advanced (which LTE does not meet) when referring to 4G.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 4
    08-27-13 10:10 AM
    My point is twofold, first that you are mistaken in saying that 3GPP has ever referred to LTE as a 4G technology, and second being that they have any authority to define 4G..they themselves reference IMT-Advanced (which LTE does not meet hen referring to 4G.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 4
    Got your point. 4G is a marketing name, specified by 3GPP which includes LTE, WIMAX.

Now, very surprised that HSDPA + has been included on the lot. Do you confirm this?

Posted via CB10
    08-27-13 10:20 AM
    This pretty much exactly mirrors my LTE vs HSPA+ experience here in Canada on Bell.

Posted via CB10
    Ya that's here in Markham ontario on Rogers
    08-27-13 10:25 AM
    Got your point. 4G is a marketing name, specified by 3GPP which includes LTE, WIMAX.

Now, very surprised that HSDPA + has been included on the lot. Do you confirm this?

Posted via CB10
    I think you are getting your wires crossed a bit. IMT-Advanced is a set of requirements set out by the ITU which has certified LTE-Advanced and WiMax "2.0" as meeting.

3GPP is an industry body that has been releasing technical specifications and feature lists for HSPA and LTE of different release specifications.

IEEE is behind WiMAX and those release specifications.

both IEEE and 3GPP were trying to meet ITU's IMT-Advanced requirements, which has been informally called 4G. neither vanilla LTE nor vanilla WiMAX meet these requirements. HSPA also does not meet these requirements and furthermore it is a mistake to refer to HSPA by only the downlink side (HSDPA) as that appeared several releases ago and by itself sort of implies HSPA without HSUPA.

HSPA+ (post release 6) is what we are referring to as competitive with LTE.

none of these are IMT-Advanced and by extension none of them are 4G.
    08-27-13 10:27 AM
    I think you are getting your wires crossed a bit. IMT-Advanced is a set of requirements set out by the ITU which has certified LTE-Advanced and WiMax "2.0" as meeting.

3GPP is an industry body that has been releasing technical specifications and feature lists for HSPA and LTE of different release specifications.

IEEE is behind WiMAX and those release specifications.

both IEEE and 3GPP were trying to meet ITU's IMT-Advanced requirements, which has been informally called 4G. neither vanilla LTE nor vanilla WiMAX meet these requirements. HSPA also does not meet these requirements and furthermore it is a mistake to refer to HSPA by only the downlink side (HSDPA) as that appeared several releases ago and by itself sort of implies HSPA without HSUPA.

HSPA+ (post release 6) is what we are referring to as competitive with LTE.

none of these are IMT-Advanced and by extension none of them are 4G.
    Thanks for clarification. Keep in mind, these are marked as 4G. So, my last question, is HSDPA + also marked as 4G?

Posted via CB10
    08-27-13 10:32 AM
    Thanks for clarification. Keep in mind, these are marked as 4G. So, my last question, is HSDPA + also marked as 4G?

Posted via CB10
    US carriers refer to HSPA+ as 4G when it's category 10 or greater HSPA+.
    08-27-13 10:33 AM
    I think that when you are used to a certain speed, it's acceptable until you try something faster. Then, what you had is now "slow". Perception makes the difference.

Posted via CB10
    goku_vegeta likes this.
    08-27-13 01:53 PM
77 1234