Hi, my understanding is that wifi has priority over Data Services. So, when wifi is on and the signal is strong, I assume data is only transferred via wifi. Similarly, when out of wifi range, data is transferred via Data Services from the Sim. But, what if wifi is on but signal is weak (one or two bars)? How can one tell by looking at the screen which one is working? Appreciate any feedback.

Posted via Z10
    06-08-13 02:47 AM
    In a room of my house the wifi signal is very weak, but it gets priority over 3g/4g.
    I notice because internet gets super laggy - in that case i have to disable wifi to avoid that
    Last edited by Magnetic_dud; 06-08-13 at 04:11 AM.
    06-08-13 02:59 AM
    Speed will be an indication. I find wifi faster than cellular when downloading or surfing.

Canadian Z10 owner on Telus
    06-08-13 03:00 AM
    Wifi kicks in when tpo of phone shows wifi icon, no?

Posted via CB10
    06-08-13 03:13 AM
    Oops top, not tpo

Posted via CB10
    06-08-13 03:14 AM
    Just because the Wifi icon is lit doesn't mean there's Internet running through the network. If you disconnect your modem and try to browse you'll see that your Internet won't work until you disable Wifi. I usually just disable Wifi if I'm working on my car in garage. Simply because the signal would be too far and pages wouldn't load as fast or not at all

Posted via CB10
    06-08-13 03:29 AM
    Going by internet speed would be difficult to judge! Sounds like there might not be a simple and reliable way to tell which one is working.

Posted via Z10
    06-08-13 09:43 AM
    As long as it's connected to wife, it'll use wifi.
    06-08-13 10:05 AM
    If you have wifi signal, regardless of strength, your device will try and draw data via that signal.

Other than the wifi icon and internet speed I don't believe there's a way to tell.
    06-08-13 10:32 AM
    As long as it's connected to wife, it'll use wifi.
    What if it's connected to husband? Will it still use wifi then?

LOL!!!

Posted via CB10
    06-08-13 10:33 AM
    What if it's connected to husband? Will it still use wifi then?

LOL!!!

Posted via CB10
    Haha you beat me to it.

But yea whenever Wifi gets weak it will lag and lag until it decides to switch to mobile network.

Posted via CB10
    06-09-13 12:09 AM
    I just connected to a wifi without internet.
    After a while I got a notification "limited connectivity " and the Z10 used 3g/4g internet

Posted via Z10
    06-12-13 01:40 AM
    Since you can't tell which is being used, I just manually switch the data services on or off depending on need. I keep the WIFI on all the time as it picks up my saved networks, But i still need to manually switch data services.

How do i check the setting to make sure that the the WIFI take priority, so i dont have to keep switching data services on and off.
    06-12-13 04:17 AM
    Since you can't tell which is being used, I just manually switch the data services on or off depending on need. I keep the WIFI on all the time as it picks up my saved networks, But i still need to manually switch data services.
    I have actually started to do the same, just to make sure it doesn't jump to Data Services without my knowledge!

Posted via Z10
    06-12-13 06:34 AM
    Lololol! I didn't even notice that auto correct.

But if you're connected to wifi, it'll always draw from wifi. My wifi was on but wasn't connected to the modem tricking my phone to believe it was connected but the page wouldn't load.
    06-12-13 05:19 PM
    If the BlackBerry icon is immediately to the right of the Wi-Fi icon the phone is using Wi-Fi.

Posted via CB10
    06-12-13 05:52 PM
    When your phone is connected to WiFi, the H+/H/E/G little alphabet disappeared and the WiFi icon become solid white instead of grey.

Posted via CB10
    06-12-13 06:49 PM
    Just because the Wifi icon is lit doesn't mean there's Internet running through the network. If you disconnect your modem and try to browse you'll see that your Internet won't work until you disable Wifi. I usually just disable Wifi if I'm working on my car in garage. Simply because the signal would be too far and pages wouldn't load as fast or not at all

Posted via CB10
    Huh? You can leave WiFi on always and if the signal isn't strong enough, or just not present, it will automatically switch to the mobile network. By your logic, the device would never get any data if the WiFi signal was too weak, but WiFi wasn't off. I don't have the issue you claim to.
    06-12-13 08:10 PM
    Going by internet speed would be difficult to judge! Sounds like there might not be a simple and reliable way to tell which one is working.

Posted via Z10
    Ya, there absolutely is. If you want to know which network you're using, you can always go to What Is My IP � | Shows Your IP Address. You can see your IP address there...and the mobile IP and WiFi IP will not be the same.
    06-12-13 08:12 PM
    If the BlackBerry icon is immediately to the right of the Wi-Fi icon the phone is using Wi-Fi.

Posted via CB10
    That would be a good and simple indicator, but when you check the description of the BlackBerry icon on BB How To web page (http://docs.blackberry.com/en/smartp...4248699828.jsp), it says "BlackBerry Services, ....., are available". It doesn't mention anything about wifi! So, it seems it would come on either way! Isn't that right?

Posted via Z10
    06-12-13 10:39 PM
    When your phone is connected to WiFi, the H+/H/E/G little alphabet disappeared and the WiFi icon become solid white instead of grey.

Posted via CB10
    Ya, I just noticed the letters disappearing when the wifi is on. Thanks. That could be the answer!

Posted via Z10
    06-12-13 10:46 PM
    I have actually started to do the same, just to make sure it doesn't jump to Data Services without my knowledge!

Posted via Z10
    Same here on both Z10 and Q10.

Posted via CB10 from my Q10.
    06-12-13 10:55 PM
    That would be a good and simple indicator, but when you check the description of the BlackBerry icon on BB How To web page (Wireless connections icons - How To - BlackBerry Z10 Smartphone - 10.0.0), it says "BlackBerry Services, ....., are available". It doesn't mention anything about wifi! So, it seems it would come on either way! Isn't that right?

Posted via Z10
    Ya, I just noticed the letters disappearing when the wifi is on. Thanks. That could be the answer!

Posted via Z10
    Funny the link you provided doesn't say anything about what the letters disappearing means.

Yes the BB icon does mean that BlackBerry services are available. The positioning of the icon indicates which network service will be used for, as the documentation says, services such as email messaging, browsing, etc. These semantics go back to BBOS5. If you encounter a Wi-Fi hot spot that you can connect to, but that doesn't provide Internet connectivity, the BB icon positioning is what will tell you that.
    06-13-13 09:37 AM