really physical keyboards is where you draw the line? i am also and android user and my htc glacier has no physical keyboard and the 15+ emails a day, countless sms, whatsapp and other im apps the touch screen typing seems to hold... it is a matter of some getting used to... no biggie there imo

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk
    04-25-12 02:28 AM
    really physical keyboards is where you draw the line? i am also and android user and my htc glacier has no physical keyboard and the 15+ emails a day, countless sms, whatsapp and other im apps the touch screen typing seems to hold... it is a matter of some getting used to... no biggie there imo

I draw the line at the physical keyboard, too. That and battery life. I'd say I do about as much typing on my phone as you do. You have to realize though that some of the people here send literally hundreds of emails and type thousands and thousands of words a day. You hardly describe yourself as one of those people, so don't underestimate the power and convenience of simply having a physical keyboard is.
    04-25-12 07:46 PM
    maybe I came off a bit wrong here. I don't underestimate the beauty of having a physical keyboard, I like keyboards... but the point I was trying to make was that keyboard or no keyboard you should not draw the line on upgrading to BB latests once is out. I'm sure BB knows its corporate market and will have a device for them, but if they really want to keep the regular consumer and have to bring something that can compete against the likes of Apple and Android
    04-26-12 07:05 AM
    maybe I came off a bit wrong here. I don't underestimate the beauty of having a physical keyboard, I like keyboards... but the point I was trying to make was that keyboard or no keyboard you should not draw the line on upgrading to BB latests once is out. I'm sure BB knows its corporate market and will have a device for them, but if they really want to keep the regular consumer and have to bring something that can compete against the likes of Apple and Android
    Keyboards aren't at all anti-consumer. Particularly not keyboards as good as BB keyboards, and I don't understand how you could think that. Why has android and iphone sold lots of phones ? Because they are mostly style over substance. And that is what the mythical consumer market wants.

Consumer phones are for people who know nothing about what is important on a phone. The kind of people who think that voice controlled phones are new (my 9000 did that *sigh*), that huge screens are just better (even though they destroy battery life), that 1 extra mhz makes one phone better than another (even though 99% of people will never use their device to do anything close to demanding enough for quad cores and plural ghz to matter).

Blackberry has always been the king of substance over style. If you realistically answer the question 'What do I use my phone for ?' Then blackberry comes out on top. No-one gets a phone to play games, no-one gets a phone to watch video (and let's face it if they did, they will end up being sorely disappointed with 3 hours of battery life playing video from their iPhone). It's all a smoke screen designed to lure people who have no particular need for a smartphone. People buy smartphones to communicate. And you do that by keyboard in almost every instance. On screen keyboards just cannot be as good as physical ones, and anyone who has used a blackberry for a month as a communication tool (as opposed to shiney app player) will attest.

Keyboards are not anti-consumer, it is simply that consumers don't know their arse from their elbow in terms of what they want from a device.
    05-19-12 03:14 PM
    Why has android and iphone sold lots of phones ? Because they are mostly style over substance. And that is what the mythical consumer market wants.
    If the consumer is mythical, then why are we getting beaten by iOS and Android?

Consumer phones are for people who know nothing about what is important on a phone.
    They know, it's just not what we think is important. That's marketing for you. What is important to us who use a smartphone to communicate (aka what a phone is for) tend to choose a phone that is for communication. Most people these days use smartphones to do dumb things, and the companies know this.

No-one gets a phone to play games, no-one gets a phone to watch video (and let's face it if they did, they will end up being sorely disappointed with 3 hours of battery life playing video from their iPhone). It's all a smoke screen designed to lure people who have no particular need for a smartphone. People buy smartphones to communicate. And you do that by keyboard in almost every instance. On screen keyboards just cannot be as good as physical ones, and anyone who has used a blackberry for a month as a communication tool (as opposed to shiney app player) will attest.

Keyboards are not anti-consumer, it is simply that consumers don't know their arse from their elbow in terms of what they want from a device.
    I agree that physical keyboards are not anti-consumer. I also agree they are the best way to type on a mobile device if you constantly are using a mobile device. However, it doesn't change the fact that most consumers (ones who don't do their research to find out what will suit them) only buy phones for the reasons you mentioned. Apps (games or otherwise) and video capability are the main draws for the average consumer because they see their friends, family and coworkers doing these things and say, "Me too! I want that!"

Nothing wrong with being part of a crowd. But you should join because you want to, not because you feel left out.
    05-19-12 05:23 PM
    It will be able to have more than 512MB of limited app storage, which will allow for much better apps as we've seen with the Playbook. It should have much better dev support etc. But you shouldn't need to switch right away. Give it some time to get a few kinks worked out.
    05-20-12 09:44 AM
    Killer features? no. Everything I do on my android and wm phone I can do on my bb, except it is secure.
    06-03-12 05:07 PM
    I see absolutely NO BB apps being released. Eg. In today's paper Safeway announced a new app for Android and iphone. BB is never mentioned any more when you see any generic or business apps released.
    So, besides having no apps - and no new features, how are they going to compete?
    06-04-12 12:37 AM
    I see absolutely NO BB apps being released. Eg. In today's paper Safeway announced a new app for Android and iphone. BB is never mentioned any more when you see any generic or business apps released.
    So, besides having no apps - and no new features, how are they going to compete?

Yeah but you know BB10 isn't out yet right? The plan is that when it comes out it will change the situation you just described.

You can't judge BB10's app selection based on that of the current OS - it'll be completely different.

06-05-12 09:11 AM
    QNX CAR Application Platform

Connectivity to the OBD-II system / Virtual mechanic. That would be absoloutely amazing. Can't wait for the LTE version.
    Also have it has a kind of in flight recorder in the car. With it's multi camera inputs. For insurance purposes.
    06-06-12 01:46 PM
    I have an 8530 and love it for email and texting, although I have very slow internet connection. Will the new OS 10 phones take my phone book contents INCLUDING my "groups"? This is important to me because I do a lot of texting of different messages to different groups. Does anyone recommend that I go to 9930 now so that I will somehow be "closer to" whatever comes next?
    09-11-12 09:59 PM
    I have an 8530 and love it for email and texting, although I have very slow internet connection. Will the new OS 10 phones take my phone book contents INCLUDING my "groups"? This is important to me because I do a lot of texting of different messages to different groups. Does anyone recommend that I go to 9930 now so that I will somehow be "closer to" whatever comes next?
    1) We're not totally sure how much of the "old" Blackberry will translate to the new. I would expect contact groups will (and I believe they should), but since we haven't seen it yet I can't say for sure.

2) Getting a 9930 doesn't get you "closer" than the 8530. What you WOULD get is a very nice device that will run rings around your current phone, though it's only fair to say that battery life on the current Bold is a weakness. I work at a desk and keep my phone docked.

I got my 9900 this past spring, in full knowledge that BB10 was on its way. I'm looking forward to BB10, but I liked the idea of having the "ultimate" of the old-school BBs.

You can likely get a great deal on one now, too.
    RonLare likes this.
    09-11-12 11:21 PM
    If you're coming from an 8350 and want something to hold you over until BB10, I'd recommend a cheap 9350. Though it's battery life is also somewhat lacklustre.
    09-12-12 09:36 AM
    "What would a phone with BB OS 10 "DO" that OS 7 doesn't?"

Grab market share.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850 using Tapatalk
    Well said. Hope it happens
    09-12-12 10:10 AM
    Some foundational things that are a guarantee:

- Install apps without rebooting
    - "Carrierless" OS Updates

All of these are a stark contrast to the current BlackBerry offering and will be welcomed! Up to OS7, the existing BBJava OS while capable, has in itself, limited developor adoption - as we still see today. Due to the 'open' nature of the development path for BB10 Apps, with time this should drastically change the consumer's view of BlackBerry being only a 'Business' device - this SHOULD mean more, and popular apps for BB10....
    masqueofhastur likes this.
    09-12-12 03:17 PM
    Technically any phone can do what any other phone does, to some degree. The thing about BB10 is that it will do everything much better than everything else.
    calicocat2010 likes this.
    09-12-12 10:03 PM
    Probably expect:

- Better quality game apps (Cut the rope, Angry Birds, Fieldrunners, etc.) than what is currently offered in the appworld for OS 7.
    - More multi-platform apps (From the news, RIM is trying to lure in more developers to BB10)

as other's already mentioned:

- Multi-tasking
    - BBM Video
    - Carrier-less OS updates

I'm guessing that BB10 will be a fast, smooth and solid OS. With the standard resolution, multiple coding programs and android integration placed for BB10 phones, developers wouldn't hesitate to develop awesome apps for it. The hardware would match what any current android phones are offering - maybe better.

We will probably know more once the official preview is released
    Last edited by funkybuddy; 09-13-12 at 04:47 PM.
    09-13-12 04:40 PM
    I don't think anyone has mentioned...

Native ActiveSync.
    jfv04 likes this.
    09-25-12 12:36 AM
    BB10 phones will be able to upgrade or delete an appwithout bogging down or requiring a restart, for starters.

Yep as much as I prefer blackberrys, android embarrasses blackberry on this. Can't wait until it gets addressed.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850 using Tapatalk
    09-25-12 12:58 AM

There will be touchscreen L and keyboard N phones

Anyway. The biggest issue, is future proofing. BB was built out of straw n mud. Hard to add a bathroom or 2nd floor with such a weak foundation.

BB10 will have the power n foundation to do things OS7 will never be capable of. In fact starting next year, iOS is the oldest OS on the market.

Things like viewing websites, clicking links, those functions are hard to do on a BB7
    11-02-12 09:20 AM
    Let's see:
    • Uninstall apps without reboot.
    • Active Tiles to see info about running apps.
    • Swipe up to see the Hub for new notifications and messages.
    • Predictive text on the virtual keyboard.
    • More memory (less spinning clock).
    • BBM Video Chat (front-facing camera).
    • Larger assortment of apps (native, webworks, android, air).
    • RIM pushing a uniform design across most apps, making it easier to use.
    • Dual-Core processors for faster response.
    • Higher resolution screens.

The biggest thing for me is storing more apps. My 9700 with BB6 on it barely has room for apps. I'm constantly deciding if I need a new app, or if there is an app I can get rid of to add another.
    11-12-12 05:41 PM
    Wow this is an old thread and yet We can Finally update it with New features that we have seen over the course of a few months.
    11-12-12 09:55 PM
    in bb 7 the more apps you have open the more the battery gets drained. Bb10 is meant as a multi tasking os allowing you to switch in between apps like nothing, which you would never have to close apps to make your phone run smoother. My question is if you have alot of apps open, does it drain the battery like in os7? Cause in a multi tasking platform that would seem pretty counter productive...

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900
    11-13-12 10:31 AM
    You guys are missing some of the huge ones.

LTE.

Real Multitasking

True HD displays

Gesture based UI

Big name Apps

If the OS 7 browser was 100% faster than the OS 5 browser, BB10 browser must be at least 300% better than OS 7.

Improved compatibility with embedded systems (BB10 will be first legitimate/usable mobile wallet, I bet)

Did I mention LTE LTE LTE LTE LTE.
    11-13-12 01:39 PM
    Oh well I'm here waiting for this phone to comeout
    12-02-12 04:11 PM
51 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD