NFC

Posted via CB10
    12-08-13 03:59 PM
    Oh that makes sense never notice them on my bold. Hmmmm

Proud BlackBerry User
    12-08-13 04:00 PM
    I thought NFC was in battery door?
    12-09-13 11:40 AM
    Battery door, battery cover, same thing.

Posted via CB10
    12-09-13 11:56 AM
    Thought u were talking about the blackberry logo almost lmao

Posted via CB10
    12-09-13 12:25 PM
    I think it is just a loop antenna rather than a chip. You can see there are only two pins going to it from the guts of the phone.

Posted via CB10
    12-09-13 02:24 PM
    And here I thought it was for wireless charging. :-(

Posted via CB10
    12-09-13 03:26 PM
    That's a NFC chip if you're talking about that loop on the inner side of the battery cover (back plate), I'm 100% sure
    12-09-13 07:24 PM
    If in Canada, try it out today with TimmyMe app
    nothingworks likes this.
    12-09-13 07:38 PM
    It's a brainwave scanner for the NSA

Kidding, but that would be a cool toy

Posted via CB from my LE
    12-09-13 07:43 PM
    That's a NFC chip if you're talking about that loop on the inner side of the battery cover (back plate), I'm 100% sure
    I'm sure it is just the antenna for NFC. It is a loop of wire.

Posted via CB10
    12-10-13 02:15 PM
    It's a brainwave scanner for the NSA

Kidding, but that would be a cool toy

Posted via CB from my LE
    Excellent!

Posted via CB10
    12-10-13 03:41 PM
    If it?s just a simple loop antenna, does anyone know why the one on the door that comes with the 4500mah battery doesn't work? Or how to fix it?

Posted via CB10
    12-10-13 03:49 PM
    it's for surveillance. Congrats, you're screwed!
    12-10-13 03:58 PM
    If it?s just a simple loop antenna, does anyone know why the one on the door that comes with the 4500mah battery doesn't work? Or how to fix it?

Posted via CB10
    Do you have a data sheet on the 4500mah door? Or any info? I never knew they supplied a NFC door.

Doing a bit of research, I see there are also NFC antennas made of ferrite, probably a ferrite core and a loop.

In any event, first insure the two contacts from the phone are hitting the contacts on the door. You can see an indentation on each contact on my door where each phone contact hits it.

Posted via CB10
    12-11-13 02:00 AM
    No spec sheet, but there are pictures in the main thread about this battery.
    The indentations are there, but it doesn't work. I also cut out the middle piece of the connector, since it was a one-piece connector, and that didn't help either.
    My next attempt will be to rough up the surface a little, in case there's some sort of coating preventing electrical contact. After that, I guess the only option would be to buy an NFC antenna and fit it into the case. Unfortunately, the regular replacement back covers sell for something like $20 and cheaper NFC antennas (about $5) are oriented in the wrong direction - lining up the pins with the Z10 would cause the long axis of the antenna to go sideways in the battery door cover, meaning that if it is to stay inside it would have to be folded. Not sure if it would work folded up.
    12-11-13 03:26 PM
    No spec sheet, but there are pictures in the main thread about this battery.
    The indentations are there, but it doesn't work. I also cut out the middle piece of the connector, since it was a one-piece connector, and that didn't help either.
    My next attempt will be to rough up the surface a little, in case there's some sort of coating preventing electrical contact. After that, I guess the only option would be to buy an NFC antenna and fit it into the case. Unfortunately, the regular replacement back covers sell for something like $20 and cheaper NFC antennas (about $5) are oriented in the wrong direction - lining up the pins with the Z10 would cause the long axis of the antenna to go sideways in the battery door cover, meaning that if it is to stay inside it would have to be folded. Not sure if it would work folded up.
    NFC antennas are basically an inductor and a capacitor in parallel. I presume the capacitor is on the board with the phone. But you have to have the right value of inductor for the tuned circuit to work.

Your best bet, though not your cheapest, is to pry the inductor off your old cover and try to put it on the new cover.

Or find out exactly what BlackBerry uses and buy that antenna.

Posted via CB10
    12-12-13 12:56 AM
    Do you have a data sheet on the 4500mah door? Or any info? I never knew they supplied a NFC door.

Doing a bit of research, I see there are also NFC antennas made of ferrite, probably a ferrite core and a loop.

In any event, first insure the two contacts from the phone are hitting the contacts on the door. You can see an indentation on each contact on my door where each phone contact hits it.

Posted via CB10
    Some do, some don't. The doors that have nfc capabilities say so in their paperwork...

Trusted Member Genius on a Z10
    12-12-13 02:47 AM
    Thanks for the tip about the inductor having to be the right type.
    Until they become cheaper, I think my experimentation is over.

I haven't heard of anyone who got the NFC working with this kind of oversized battery. Has someone else?

Posted via CB10
    12-12-13 08:13 AM
    If in Canada, try it out today with TimmyMe app
    Lol, I did,but the drive through tap machine has a rubber case over it that prevents the contact from being made.
    You have to go in and use the one inside.
    12-12-13 09:04 AM